Sketchbook: Rebirth' (finally) digital sketchbook Update Dec. 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rebirth' (finally) digital sketchbook Update Dec. 4

PLEASE COMMENT thanks ( I enjoy the attention, HaHa)

I am going to make progress in my digital sketches weekly and get (hopefully) some crits and praise and HELP!!! on some of my works...I like doing environments and am currently working on Vehicles, then lastly but not least..Figures. I appreciate all comments good or bad and Remember These are sketches that I will either finish or not, my real sole purpose of doing this is to force myself to DRAW more and make it to a daily status.
    Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing from you all and working as hard as possible to get better.
    R

Last edited by reBirth; December 4th, 2005 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More environment sketches

Here are some more environment sketches
    Please comment
    Thanks
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reB- whattup dood... good lookin out... you got some great enviros here! i wish i could do that... is it all photoshop? painter? i need some pointers (and practice with the whole digital rendering machine-looks like you should drop me some.. hint hint)
    youve got some good color harmonies here... how does one even begin something like this?... do you do thumbs first? then a pallette?... anyhow.. it makes me wanna paint.. off i go... thanks for the inspiration and the comments...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dood...Usually start with a loose sketch in greyscale then throw a layer in...in overlay mode and go from there starting of course with perspec lines and whatnot...I took the Environmental Concept design class on CGTalk with Phillip Straub and started studying color theory and other subjects that I had no idea exsisted...anyway these really arent the jist of what I can do now, they were done a while ago and I have improved quite a bit just from learning in that class and I am glad I took it

as far as pointers, ha I wish I could but Im learning as I go along, I mean I could tell you a few things about how to get started as far as the rest, its just practice, and I still need more but pm me or send me an email and I will answer any specific questions you have, oh yeah and just keep drawing...wait til I post my figures and vehicles, I really expect to hear it from those...
    Thank you by the way for the kind words I appreciate it
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are really good. You've chosen yourself a big task if you want to be matte painter, 'cause you really have to create almost photorealistic paintings. I'm giving you four stars cause you will be posting even more beautiful paintings in the future. That much I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool environments you got here. Keep up the good work, I agree with Placeboast. This will definitely be a favorite thread as time goes on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    _This are really good enviroments ......this will become one of the favorites for sure, keep it up....there is a long path to be able to make good matte paintings, and you are on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Placeboast- Thank you, I dont actually want to be a matte painter, I like conceptual environs like Ryan Church, Mark Goerner, Feng etc... I have done some mattes before though and might put em up as time goes by-Matte Painting is way too technical and I enjoy the painting more than anything

Zord- I am glad you like them and Im flattered that you will watch this thread, Much appreciated

Shamagim-Thank you also! I am honestly grateful for your comment.
    time to go to work now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

.. picking your brain...

so as i look at the sketches you've posted some things going through my head are...

what resolution do you work in? 72dpi? and ...
    what is the overall size of these?

looks like these were done in painter as opposed to photoshop... which one, or do you sometimes use a combination of both?

what os are you working with? mac or pc? is there a scratch disk setting for painter?

im familiar with the shortcut keys in ps but not in painter... is there a shortcut key for switching specific brushes? like from grainy blender to just add water to cover pencil and back to blender... etc?

i noticed the perspective vanishing point lines youve laid down in some of the pieces... are those done first traditionally then scanned in? or do you draw all that in with the software?

do you use multiple layers at all?

ummm... sorry for all the questions... if there's a link with the majority of this info somewhere... i appreciate any help you can give... i tried a quick rendering last night in painter of my wireless mouse that turned into a one hour affair! (shouldve taken much less time than that!) and of course im not all that satisfied with the results... stop on by and take a look.. id like to hear what you think... thanks!
    (i was just gonna PM you on this but i thought that others might have the same questions... so it could help more people this way)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what resolution do you work in? 72dpi? 72-96 The bigger the canvas the better so....

what is the overall size of these?
    usually around 2350x 650 depending then I shrink down to size for the web, You can work smaller then uprez as needed (by uprez I mean to make your canvas larger if you are working small)

looks like these were done in painter as opposed to photoshop... which one, or do you sometimes use a combination of both?
    Actually these were done in PS 7 and CS I still havent gotten comfortable with Painter yet, I like it and do know how to use it and I want to start soon...but my tool of choice is PS

what os are you working with? mac or pc? is there a scratch disk setting for painter? MAC

im familiar with the shortcut keys in ps but not in painter... is there a shortcut key for switching specific brushes? like from grainy blender to just add water to cover pencil and back to blender... etc?
    No ..In Painter 9 you can create your own custom brush pallete though

i noticed the perspective vanishing point lines youve laid down in some of the pieces... are those done first traditionally then scanned in? or do you draw all that in with the software?
    Use the Line tool in PS, somewhere around 2 px and choose whatever colors...on a seperate layer In painter the constrain brush or whatever that little choice is to switch brushes in the left hand corner on top

do you use multiple layers at all? Always as needed
    the best way to start coloring is to make a new layer after you have done your sketch or thumbnails...in overlay mode try it then flatten only after youre happy with your pallette, always keep your background, or if your are feeling "ON" then start with a color sketch...using the Opacity on a lower setting and building up.

ummm... sorry for all the questions... if there's a link with the majority of this info somewhere... i appreciate any help you can give... i tried a quick rendering last night in painter of my wireless mouse that turned into a one hour affair! (shouldve taken much less time than that!) and of course im not all that satisfied with the results... stop on by and take a look.. id like to hear what you think... thanks!
    (i was just gonna PM you on this but i thought that others might have the same questions... so it could help more people this way)[/QUOTE]

No problem Dood as I said Im not great but I do understand quite a bit, I just need to start applying my self more and focusing on what I really Love to do...Art
    Thank you for your kind words as well
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dood, I almost forgot to mention the other stuff, aside from techniques, which by the way there is more stuff like knowing what tool does what and sampling of colors from your pallette and so on...
    Composition
    Perspective
    Value (lighting)
    Color Theory
    Then start asking yourself what is this? where am I (as to what is going on in the drawing, environment, what kind of people live here, organic?, machines? etc...)
    and of course if needed resources from real life all these things will make you better in the long run and that is what I am striving to become through this thread...Pushing the envelope if you will say and making this happen through this key word....PRACTICE
    keep drawing no matter what
    and with people like you picking at my brain and making me find even more resources and inspiration ( which by the way is the HARDEST of all to find at times) I will accomplish this and more.
    Thank you.
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely vivid and detailed enviros here. just alittle mmore detail would be nice, but what you have is effective. cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1 hour Doodle

Quick Impressionistic sketch from photo...color practice
    gotta keep up...
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, great stuff! loving the environments. Great sense of scale and design. Keep it up. Don't forget to post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff reBirth!
    Really nice your landscapes, nice colors, though you could put some spare objects around the place, cause some images are a little empty.
    Bring more plase!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey reB thanks for the tips... i've decided now that i like painter for more freehand sketching/painting - the brushes are just closer to real media... i've been reading through some of the tutorial threads and theres some great stuff there that i've overlooked... like mike corr. has a cool one about making custom brushes in PS-these 2 programs have endless possibilies!

anyhow just stoppin by to see whats new...

great feeling of traditional media on the last post... its supposed to be raining right? (theyve got umbrellas) it FEELs like its raining anyways... the impression that i get from it... anyhow... keep it up man...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there ohdood, i really like your environment sketches, you obviously know how to use perpective. Also, great use of light.

I would say that your last sketch doesnt really seem clear enough. But oh well, it was only a colour test.

Keep on drawing and dont forgot to post !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all, I work weekends on Recording music, so I only really usually get to draw on the weekdays..Heres a quicky Chiang inpired Robot...and the begining of a new matte that I am working on, Photo and paint in PS7, CS
    man you miss a day and you get knocked out in here, definately inspiring me to keep up...Thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, like your last enviroment, that black and white really works with that enviroment.

With the last creature u posted i think you should add more to the body and maybe add some deeper shadows

Keep it up and keep on posting !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Todays 1st drawing

Heres a little doodle I did...needs some work but I needed to draw something
    Thanks for looking
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Fat Kid...Im trying too, but it came out that way, (animelike) anyway thanks to all who have posted replies, Im working...and I will work on my anatomy, just like I said It is my weakest subject, But I will get better...
    R

Last edited by reBirth; November 3rd, 2005 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as that fat kid said, your environments are absolutely brilliant, if you know to get your characters that good as well, you would just be amazing. I'm sur you will, just study a bit of anatomy and you'll know how to do it in no-time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey reB.. just stopping by to check out whats new... black and white enviros lookin good... id like to see more life drawing... anyways... keep on posting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ahhhhhhggg

Man oh Man, I have been too busy lately...Time to catch up again, I tried my hardest not to do the manga looking thingy, Heres a sketch of a possible character design, I know I need to work on the whole anatomy thing so I will tell you I have been studying and making mental notes as much as I can...So here I go...Thanks for your replies in advance I appreciate them and they keep me going, I will try my hardest to keep it going, I have lots of time this weekend so hopefully I will be able to get alot done
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quickie...very sketchy sketches to get myself back in the swing, I tend to sketch, and then try and render instead of continious study

Anytime guys....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is another WORK IN PROGRESS...
    I Got busier than expected this weekend and had time to do this, and not much else aside from normal household duties ans recording projects...Please comment as usual...thanks
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No comments on the last two...must be bad, ill keep at it...
    more to come soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man i love the enviros. sweet stuff. you should give a mini tut on how to do perspective. i suck at that. and yea i see improvement too already.. good work. keep it up . =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another WORK IN PROGRESS..SCREEN SHOT
    Tell me whats goin on, talk to me, Im going crazy here ahhhhh, must keep painting
    haha
    R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a concept of the previous pic of that weird lookin girl, she os a vampire running out of time before the sunrise, I will be adding more soon to the pic...sorry for the poor resolution, but villagephotos only allows(for free) up to a certain amount. The actual pic is much clearer
    Thanks for looking and
    can anyone tell me how to upload a pic to a site like that without losing clarity? Please?
    let me know what you think
    R

Last edited by reBirth; November 18th, 2005 at 12:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.