Sketchbook: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies, I just want to say I visited your cityscape thread and it was nuts.....didn't want to post there since it's an old thread.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi tensai
    first of all thanks for visiting my sb so frequently - now finaly had the time to check out yours
    interesting - unique - great diversity - come to my mind when i browse in here
    outstanding of course your cityscapes but once in a while like in your last post there sneaks in a very solid study done with a common pencil i like those :]- will visit from now on once in a while

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow those are beautiful.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, Tensai !
    Yeah, things are quite fine, even if I'm pretty busy. Nice updates and studies you made. This one is very good, very loose, I like it !
    Sayanora, Tensai-kun !
    Aniki J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the feature studies, especially likes the job on the ears..The side view of the eye was really expressive. Great stuff. :I

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhhhh!!!! Your women are alive. thats a fact. the shaded female is incredibly expressive and alive.. and the old woman(colorful) as well. And also the wall with the wires and energy boxes and tanks.. which means you are really in touch with women and technology eh?? lol at least its 2 things you really have a certain interest. the males you did have a very raw and dry expression on them. almost feelingless. Im sure it relates to your life and understanding.... Great man.. a lot of communication going on in your work. Keep them coming.

Saludos

Mario

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments everyone -

Andy P - more in the making man. love your latest updates by the way.

JoshK - thanks, nice compliment. i do upgrade that thread every now and then though...

Zulle - i wouldnt call two times frequently but anyway, no thanks; the pleasure was all mine. i like the atmosphere of your dirty pencils.

pennington - cheers man.

Alday.J - if we are brothers than you would be ototo J! good to hear youre doing good mon petit frère.

Sirio_Brozzi - cheers, as i said though, theyre studies from a little anatomy book i have; van der poel. its great.

Mario - hey man, glad your posting some new stuff recently. i think your latest inks and dirty c's talk about darrow made me want to try out some different style of inking with brush. not what the master can do, but i had fun with it nonetheless . especially cause i didnt know what the hell was going on.

Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

comments and crits greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tensai; April 6th, 2006 at 03:04 AM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice inks on this last piece tensai (I'm getting around to mailing you soon!)

Got some Darrow pencils he did for one of our failed projects. Superb stuff and a really nice guy (had some great stories about his Hanna Barbera days), wish I could show em...

keep it up Tensai, great sb you have here.

Cal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work chief,

droppin in so i can subscribe.
    $34.95 for 12 amazing issues no?

AWESOME DEAL I'M TAKING--THAT'S A STEAL!

:0) joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, tensai. OK, I can't be silent anymore. I know how you looked when you were a baby, I feel freer with you now . Please tell me because I wanted to ask long time ago, what tensai means. Please. It can't be unknown for me anymore. I think about it every time I meet you on forum. .

Interesting portrait of the guy in the cap. Very nice deep shadows and interesting variety of many lines and dots. maybe you overshadowed his face though, it looks like the darkest spot, like he is wearing all white clothes. and the rendering on his forehead, these stripe are a bit strange looking. But nevertheless it's very interesting too look portrait. I wish you drew the whole figure.
    Like the studies of the face features, very useful for me too.
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; April 8th, 2006 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff you have here.
    Love the shoe design, is beautiful.
    Great ink work also.

I'll come again soon to see new pics

Cheers!

Last edited by joiton; April 8th, 2006 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tensai
    Alday.J - if we are brothers than you would be ototo J! good to hear youre doing good mon petit frère.
    LOL ! So, you're older than me, he ? Ok, apologies for the bad using of japanese... Sumimasen ! Petit frère ? With the accent "è" ! Well done man !

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! That last coloured pic (with the slightly hazardous mix of propane and electricity) and the study page with the eyes and ears are particularily great!

I love that eye done with marker, cool style.

Keep it up!

ohjay's sketchbook

So here we are but no cigar
    idiots and electric guitars
    You're hiding, keep riding
    from acid to zen and back again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah man great to see a more rendered portrait! looks good. yeah and what does tensai mean anyway?

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the comments. ill reply some time tomorrow, its a bit late now but wqnated to quickly post these:

interior for a travelling design store/graphic art gallery i did a while ago. close to shibuya station in tokyo. i hate design stores...

comments and crits appreciated.

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Lok . I can call you like this, right? I love being personal.
    The interior designs is lovely and very unusual. More words that come to my mind to describe it: natural and artificial in the same time, so mix, I would say, fragile, tender, gentle, airy, light, refined, oriented on young person, probably very young girl. Object put in the manner to keep an attention of the person, to keep him/her permanently entertained. lot of details to make eyes wander.
    Using natural object makes it relaxed and unpretentious, the using of not existing in nature colors (bright pink, colors of the purses) creates the feeling, energetic, awaking. The use of dark colors is great I think, it kind of anchors all this lightness down a bit, balances. I'm very curious about these numerous white shelves, I wish i could see them clearer. I don't know, but i have a associations with origami, paper storks and flowers.
    How is your father? Hope all is good.
    Sveta
    P.S. You did put the lilac window glass? Interesting. Lovely touch, makes interesting reflections in the room.

Last edited by sve; April 14th, 2006 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like you enjoy drawing many different things... Though figure is ur concentration. I would say continue work on perspective skills, if you have the opportunity check out gnomon workshop dvd's by scott robertson and feng zhu. You will feel much more confident in your use of perspective. Otherwise, nice style throughout... And the pen portraits are very nice, I SWEAR the one on the 4th page with the guy lookin down looks exactly like me....were u watchin me in the shower or something?? hah good luck !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dat thar instulllllllashun shore is purdy Tens-AHHH

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oi!
    book wo mitteita kedo henji wo shinakatta; gomen ne. nice works. the wall of buildings where the clothes are hanging from, is that a real place or did you make up that minature city? kinda wish you could see them better instead of being hidden beneath all those bags and scarfs (?), but they do add color to it which is nice. ee to...mado ga pinku no de, soto e mitara, ki no happa ga sakura mittai. omoshiroi ne. ^_~ feature studies look good, would love to see more of those. also really like the inked page you did. one thing i would possibly suggest is that you give your men different expressions...i know that japanese men arent always stiff-lipped and deadpan, or asleep, or drunk. well...maybe they are, but it would be nice to see them with different expressions. anyway, hope to see more here soon; take care man. ogenki de ne.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok got some time for replies.

salaryman - i was working on a larger size with new bigger brushes so everything was new and not everything came out the way i wanted. but i love that exciting feeling when you dont know how things work precisely and your trying to figure it out while doing. would have loved to see Darrow doing his thing. i'll send you a mail soon with some choices for sketches. thanks for dropping in man.

joiton - glad you like the shoe. gonna do some more on a regular basis. when they come out ill post m here.

alday - son rien, tout le monde parle fran&#231;aise... 8)

ohjay - i love marker. it forces you to make things simple. thanks for dropping in.

pennington - 'Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it'. its a quote i like, and tensai means genius.

sve - the concept of the store was a city as interior. or, in short, to not make it totally designed by me, but like what happens in a city - have users do unexpected/unintended things and change the overall environment. in a city this happens because we cant plan everything (although a lot of urban planners and architects try of course) and in this store i wanted to keep that. i like it when you can see the impact of the people and their use on a building or place. so i didnt want to design a lot of beautiful shapes for display cases etc. but i wanted the environment to be laid back and flexible, so that it could be used the way the client wanted, and so that the colourfull (and young) art, products and people would jump out and let them have the freedom to give their input as well. for that you to make something basic, sensitive but strong at the same time, so that it doesnt get drowned by whatever the user is going to do with it. the plants for example was input by the client. i loved it. it was exactly the type of thing i was hoping they would do. even if i would have never designed it, i did create the conditions for it. i love these organized but unpredictable accidents. the white boxes on the floor you could kick around and rearrange, put them on their side, all together or spread out. the wall display/sculpture i made because they needed a display area for these bags. well, and because i really wanted to make something obsessive in a threedimensional object.. ill post some more pics of it later.

mbeteker - thanks for dropping by. after more than eight years of architecture school full of classes about getting perspective right, i enjoy doing some more free and wobbly stuff. im of course not saying people shoulldnt know their stuff, but there should also be space for deviating from that what is correct. thanks for the tip though.

guggenmaneuver - you need to be carefull with drinking and typing at the same time. you know what can happen tight?
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65853

purb36 - youre right about the expressions. but i have a fascination for those guys. that, and its simply because im drawing in the train so i only have like a minute or two while getting bumped around by the train and i tend to pick the peeps that arent moving around so much. maybe ill do some more from ref too. the wall was based on sketches i did. we had some great art students and i explained and we all worked together on putting that thing together.

ill post somemore art soon.
    thanks for all the comments

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wassup Tensai, hope you dont mind, I invoked some of your spirit recently while doodling a city, heh. Loving your recent work with the life draings mixed in with more cool enviro's. You may hate design stores but I think you did an excellent job on the wall in that store with all the cube shapes sticking out. really cool!

feeeeeeeeesh

feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    -----------------------------------------
    ART - MUSIC - BLOG - YouTube - IMDb - SKETCHBOOK

My old Sketch Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketch book. Your anatomy studies are coming along nicely, but when you start doing regular figure work, they aren't as strong as your studies. Try to carry over what you learn in your anatomy studies to your other work. The ink faces are nice, but with a greater understanding of the planes of the face will make them look even better. Keep up the studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn...tensai... The facial anatomy studies are fantastic. Really great feel for the folds of the ear, and the lids as well. And the inks ...man i'm a sucker for beautiful inks...and this one ranks. The only small crit i might have is that the face is a bit over inked..but...meh..that's about it. As for your store design...I can't really crit...not experience in doing that sort of thing..but must say though..cool...it looks like it's geared for young girls. And the spaces between set ups is pretty large compared to the claustrophobic American sensibility of shoving as much at the consumer as possible. The white wall..sort of reminds me of the Sony Playstation startup screen, or better yet...a city as seen from above, which is cool.
    Can't wait to see more.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It sure is hard to comment on some of these threads. . . there's only so many ways you can say you're amazed or inspired and keep it fresh! At any rate, I'm amazed and inspired, I'll just say it. It's really cool to see an artist pushing such a unique variety of style and media, and I'm keen to see where they'll intersect. Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    feeesh - hey man, glad you like tat one. it was such a mission impossible. i had deadlines for a different project but still had to coordinate and actually built that guy. had wonderfull help from a lot of art students, which were supposed to be led by another guy, but he bailed out at the last moment... people loved that thing though, so it was worth it to me.

Smitherines - thanks for the crit man, will keep that in mind.

Helzon - thanks for stopping by man. about that inked guy, i inititally wanted to ink him way way more. making him rougher and rougher and more black even. im glad i didnt though. biggest thing i dislike aout it now is the bright hole in his mouth. might do something about that.

Idiomatic - thanks man, haha. i know what you mean and i sort of had the same thing when i was over at your book.

alright - im working on the NY cityscape but dont want to show it just yet. in any case i did some sketches to chill out a bit.

from the bumpy train and ref. i tried to go faster and look more intuitive rather than really sort of measuring, to make simpler shapes.

dont ask, just messing around

thanks for the comments and crits..

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tensai buddy,
    interesting, nice head studies, though i feel like they'd be a little bit better if you included the neck (or some suggestion thereof) on all (instead of some). great lyrical line quality my friend; your lines and ink flow like a wicked, shredding guitar solo played on the choicest of flying V's.

oh, i'm going to wastered typing anonymous treatment sessions. thanks for your intervention and for the swanky, swanky e n v i r o n s . . .

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey tensai !
    Nice drawing here ! i like your anatomy (head above all) studies and your ink. I ve noticed that you draw architecture well !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovin the color choices on that pic of the pipes and tanks! Awesome faces in this new update, of course. Keep bangin, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gugg - you should poetry if you didnt man. your texts flow like a spaced out herbie hancock solo.

shylone - thanks for dropping by man. how are things?

Andy P - glad you like that one. i really wanna do some more of those when i have time. have been doing so much designing for a new shoe line but i cant show any of those sketches yet. also did a logo proposal and they accepted. which is nice cause i could use the money. willl show that when i can. i also redid my website and i would love some feedback on it.
    check new site

any feedback on things like if it opens well, loads well, general layout, navigation etc., greatly appreciated.

as for some sketches:
    in the waiting room at the doctors
    Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

on the train i think,

portrait of my poppa, not from life, from photo -

as part of a trade, a small assignment for a bag customization -

will post something proper next time...

Last edited by tensai; May 5th, 2006 at 11:14 AM.
    tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff mate, last update is nice, the heads from the 18th look great, post more soon

nice site too, easy to get around and easy to read thumbs, fucking excellent photos, you mind if i use them for studys some time?

cheers dude

Last edited by Shinryu; May 5th, 2006 at 02:09 PM.

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11