Page 8 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

Thanks
    Hey man, I hope that you keep showing the cityscapes; along with the faces and train sketches it's a nice balance. I find it interesting to see the personalities in both the organic and inorganic, they are both alive in some way. That last guy does look tired by the way, but that dark line across the top of his head is a bit distracting. I'm nitpicking, though. Everything looks great.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    thanks for stopping by my SB!!

These are seriously inspirational. I loved seeing the design process, and your cityscapes always rock.

Thanks

work in progress

madplanet - thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the crit. i agree about the lighting on that guy. it was marker though, so not much i could do about it.

glikster - thanks man, glad you enjoyed.

im gonna have to get my ass in gear and post regularly in my book again.
    im doing an illustration for a chinese magazine that is not out yet. the first issue is about lifestyle and i wanted to do a local cityscape with a biggass baby siting in the middle of it. the babies toys are all these highly coveted gadgets that are the same size as the buildings. im doing this cause i sort of want to comment on the post-modern chinese boom architecture that all looks like toys with pinkand jade tiles combined with mirrors and polished chrome for columns etc. the toys and architectures lifespan is both really short.

i guess that is not clear, but i think it will be once i add more elements. here is the line drawing of the cityscape though:

Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

ill be adding sonyplaystations, ipods, mcDees and chinese propaganda style baby tomorrow. or a first colour test. whatever.

comments and crits, as always, appreciated.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    first pencil outline for babay. im not sure about this guy yet.

Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

comments and crits appreciated
    tensai

Thanks
    Another great cityscape, Tensai. It kind of hurts my eyes to stare at it too long, though! Did you say that you were going to add color to this? That will look great, I think, the color would make some of those buildings really pop out. Of course, just doing the sky would add a lot. It almost seems strange looking at your detailed cityscapes and then going to something like the baby, which is very simple. Not bad simple, just less line. But, you really captured something in that face using limited line, so I would say that so far, it's a success.

Thanks
    WOW!!
    this one is simply jaw-dropping. how long did this take you? i'm amazed at your skill and patience : ]

keep up the great work,

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Holy shit, you are Godzilla-like when drawing city scapes. God damn. I'm really enjoying the progress on the "fog city." Me and a friend were looking through here and mentioned that your name was "genius." Clever, man. Keep it up up!

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for taking a look at my sketchbook

Anyways, nice work in yours As you probably already know, your environments are much more efficient then your portraits and such. And some of these enviro's/city skapes are absolutely amazing. Must be very time consuming

See ya around.

Justin.

Thanks
    Man you must be crazy for doing those cityscapes! I can't even comprehend the attention span you must have to have to do those. They're definitely cool though! Those last few marker sketches are neat too. What also really stood out to me were those single-line city/roofscape sketches. I'm not sure I've seen something like that before but I like them. I also agree that your cityscapes are stronger than your portrait type stuff, but even those last few marker sketches show improvement, or maybe it's just because of the value that makes them pop out more. Regardless they have good character. Keep it up!

Thanks
    holy smokes great cities!!!!
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks

chinese cityscape wip pt3

madplanet - its the first step fot the total ill. outline of the background. the baby is just a sketch still, and i added some but not all props yet. i guess things will become clearer when it gets more finished.

cartoonfox - line drawing took me a couple of days. i couldnt draw so much for too long at a time cause my wrists are a bit fucked up right now. so i have to do some other things, then draw again, etc etc. thanks for stopping by man.

Zord - you got it, its genius cause everybody calls me that way over here. well actually it was a reference to the gza from the wutang clan.

JustinBeckett - hey man thanks for stopping by. yeah im working on the portraits and stuff, but i think a lot of it has to do that all the peeps are just sketches, while the cityscapes are finished work.

runtosaurus - glad you like the oneline sketches. the portrait type stuff is for to relax and just to do something else than the cityscapes.

pennington - cheers man.

ok, as for the WIP of the ill for the chinese magazine, i did some basic placement and initial colouring, just to see where i want to go:

ill probably redraw the baby but i like the kind of poisonous/neon kind of glow he has. things might change a lot later on, as i have a tendency to get bored at the end of a piece, maybe cause they take so long to make.

i will tune the colours but i like the direction its going, and i will put lights and vague shadows in/on the buildings. next up is adding some more objects, im thinking mao zedong as a statue/action figure, and a big tv/advertisement screen. if you know some other gadgets i could add, please drop a message here. im still looking for other stuff.

comments and crits appreciated

edit - pic taken down cause of bandwidth
    Last edited by tensai; February 10th, 2006 at 06:14 AM.
    tensai

Thanks
    looking awesome, i'm a big fan of your cityscapes. the urban feeling is overwhelming.
    the glowing baby made me think of keith harings work:
    http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgkh63.jpg
    But I'm le tired...

Lunch's Boiling Stew

Thanks
    Oh damn, the master of cityscapes busts out another one. The neon green baby's color is fine too, it's like a nuclear baby. I can't think of any objects to put into the city, but if i think of any i'll let you know. And one last thing, Wu-Tang are bad ass and ain't nothin' to fuck with.

edit: I just thought of something you could maybe include in the city. What if there was some sort of car company logo? I dunno, just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Zord; January 24th, 2006 at 01:46 PM.

Page 8 of 87 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast