Sketchbook: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madplanet - i didnt draw it yet but i originaly ment for the sides to be silhouettes of streets. meaning the building that i drew could be a generic office building but because it was captured by the shapes of the street silhouettes, it would look like a typical NY setback building upside down. you can see the thumbnail sketch on the previous page.

i still might go for it, but i actually think i want to try some simpler designs first.

tiny update - some pen sketches from ref

comments and crits appreciated

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff man! You can hit forms very well. I love that cityscape. So much damn detail. keep it up and can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skeiff - thanks for dropping by..

some more from train and ref

comments and crits appreciated

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I just love these. Totally great work. I'm going to have to try your method of public life drawing out for myself. I'm still trying to fill up some pages of public lifers to post. Great work, and great method! post more!

-MP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great faces from the crowds, Tensai! looking them over, i see you integrating more of your incredible architectural line control into the figures, somewhere around this drawing: http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok311.jpg. it brings a broader dimension to the figures and faces, i think. i'd like to see more oblique views like this as well:http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok344.jpg ; the interaction between this couple is very evident, very joyful to my eyes, a very spontaneous moment.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the pics of the public, especially the ones with a splash of orange, your architectural and city drawings are great and the line style is fantastic (don't take it the wrong way but it reminds me of the autistic savant artist stephen wiltshire, something about the lines I guess)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really good as usual! how big are these.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! just wanted to drop by, specially since you've been so kind to comment on my thread a few times..

really liking alot of what I see here, especially these pipe thingys and the citys, damn you've got patiende, alot of detail in there, looking great.. also like the grany way you colored some of your sketches back on the first page i think, how do you do that? like with that peachy girl back there..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    majinpunisher - thanks man. i still dont think these life drawings are 'successful' or anything. but when you have to draw so quick it does teach you a lot.

masque - thanks for dropping by man. i think i like what your saying about that page of peeps in pen, but i also think the line work in that particular one was rather flat. ill see if i can use your comment for some improvement.

young paddy1 - no way im taking that the wrong way. i dont really think
    my lines and stephen wiltshire's look alike, but i can imagine it has the same sort of obsessive feel to it. had fun going over that guys site again, hadnt seen it in a long time.

pennington - most of the people sketches are done in my pocket sketchbook. A6.

JoeHell - hey man, thanks for dropping in. i really dont remember exactly how i coloured that sketch of the peachy naked girl. but i set my pencil/pen lines on a multiply layer and put it on top. put down some colours on the background and often paint stuff on another layer. i dont like messing around with brush settings so much, except for the painting modes and scans of ink and paint spatters that i use as brushes.

some poop update -
    one in line,

one just value (dont ask me why she looks like a dog)

using everything that was on my table - japanese brush, charcoal, carbothello pencils, prisma colour pencils, and ps.

rough sketch for an alternative NY cityscape

comments and crits greatly appreciated..

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehehe ! Long time time I don't check your SB-sorry- but there's a ton of good updates here. Pleasure for my eyes. Well done, man.
    Cheers.
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Tensai. Great to see some great originality going on here in your threads, I especially enjoyed the Cityscapes thread, just had a look through that.
    Really nice line work you've got going on man, I could learn alot.
    You live in Hong Kong right? I've been there a few times, and i can see why it has influenced your designs so much, all those streets packed with peopl, vehicles and buildings. I've been lost in HongKong, and it is very confusing...
    Anyway, keep 'em comn'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tensai,

thanks for stopping by in my sketchbook. Had a look here and I must say: I'm very impressed. Gonna watch your sketchbook from now on....
    cheers,

Arco

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my favourite are the face studies, u made recently, i want to see more coloured peaces

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey, you have a very nice clean style i think
    alot of good stuff in here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    J. - whats up man? glad you like the poop. like where youre going with your book as well.

Sybo - i dont live in hong kong, but in tokyo. hong kong is one of my favourite cities though, i feel extremely at home there, and i did do some freelance work there in an architecture office for some time.

ArcoNL - thanks for dropping in. go wild with them studies man.

Cold - consider yourself lucky.

Dyle - thanks!

from ref. brush pen and ps.

comments and crits greatly appreciated.

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff! yay, just read the thread about complementary colours and underpainting, its realy interesting and enlightening.

I definitely wil try out what ive read, on photoshop6 cant do it on painter, anyway, was wondering if you did yours with underpainting technic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...these are just something special. My apologies for not stopping in sooner and dropping a most well deserved compliment. The beauty of the line work all the way up to the markers, and colors. Fine, fine work.
    Look forward to the next update.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like that last image, great use of colors and textures. was the reference found in a book of utility code violations? propane and electricty make for exciting bed fellows

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for stopping by my book. i really like yer quickie portraits here. keep em coming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey that last pic is so great! i love your style. it's so free but so clean. and the colors are cool too. i got a japanese brush too. to write characters with tho. oh hey and thanks for the tips on chinese.

Last edited by pennington; March 30th, 2006 at 01:52 AM.
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, tensai. I don't get it, you think this girl looks like a dog? Really? I think she is gorgeous! in both way as a drawing and as a woman. Very sensual, very erotic. Hope I'm not alone in this. or I will go crazy.
    . Look at her, she is alive, she is half smiling, half exploring something. Pose, face , volume, speed of line is wonderful I love her so much. In her powerful physical beauty she reminds me Tahiti beauties in Paul Gauguin paintings, the same modest and sensual appeal. I saved her. I think it is impeccable piece. The beauty is relative, you know. The wide mouth could as beautiful and the delicate one, as long as it its in harmony with everything else, I think.
    Her big mouth is wonderful.

I like the portrait of man with many colors, it's fun and joy to look at, and he too has very truthful expression on his face. Actually the same expression I see on the portraits of first American presidents. So I would say it is face with self respect on it.

I like the yellow cityscape, a bit intimidating and aggressive. I guess it was your goal, because it is very obvious.

And in the last painting I like this technique one again and colors, very tasteful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I really like this enviro drawing. Love the line quality, and the color style. Definitely would like to see more like this! Can't wait for the next post.

-MP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tensai dude..Im sort of starting to get what I really like about your stuff. You always seem to be able to give typically solid, industrial objects and settings an organic feel somehow. Its totally kickass dude. I get that feel from your last study of the wall especially. Great stuff as usual.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    totally agree with Sirio on the organic look to lines, just seems to come effortlessy out of you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really nice updates! Like others have said, your line gives personality to what would otherwise be cold and emotionless subject matter. That most recent sketch makes me want to draw the pipes and meters in my airing cupboard. Keep it up!

Ta, Nick.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB
    DAVISON

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for visiting my SB man, and thanks for your comments. Nice updates, solid lines and giving emotion to your characters, like that a lot! I think drawing people live has done you better, I should do that too!!

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you have a way of giving inanimate objects such personality. Really. You make me want to go out and draw some pipes and electrical wires or something. I can't tell if it's the line or the use of color, but whatever, it works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff tensai, those pen sketches are really coming along, that last brush pen and ps is excellent, really well done

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jesus, loads of comments. thanks!

Cold - no. or yes maybe, these are digital and i first put a base colour down and then add value. but sometimes i do it the other way around. i do always check value throughout the process by de-saturating everything.

Helzon - no apologies needed, just post some of your stuff again man. thanks for dropping in.

bwkeough - haha, if there was such a book it would be the thickest ever! i shoot all building environment ref myself.

meeatu - thanks mate.

pennington - i used to study chinese for two years i think. great great language. i can hardly speak it anymore though, i think cause of the japanese occupying a similar space in my head or something. i do still understand it some, or when i think about it can make sentences etc but when i have to talk i keep on mixing chinese and japanese. pitty. good luck with that man.

sve - im glad you wrote this, and feel i have to clarify a bit. i was a bit frustrated with how the sketch came out. the girl in real is, i would say, beautiful. im not sure about the drawing. it has some of her character but i felt i had lost a bit of it while i was building up the values. i dont like erasing, although its a valid drawing tool, i never use it. perhaps i should (anyway these were prisma colour pencils which dont erase well). as i was building up value, i felt her face got a bit of a 'snout' - i think i pushed the middle of here face back too far or something. i was trying to correct for it a bit but made it more so and i definitely didnt want an overworked drawing that lost all its life. compared to an earlier drawing stage, i felt i made here look like a dog. (i still liked the sketch enough to post it though )

im definitely not somebody to go for 'standard' beauty or anything. if there is one thing i enjoy in general, its watching and drawing all different kinds of people and faces. when i take photographs of people, or when i draw them, i often feel i love them, even if i dont know them. i do hope some of that will eventually come across in these sketches.

about the 'agressive' city scape, i have to say it wasnt obvious to me. this is a quick sketch to try some things out before i commit to more elaborate line drawing. the style / colours are more agressive i agree. its nice as a trial but im not sure i like that as an atmosphere in the final illustration though. so i will probably change the colours, i think i already know what colours i want to use this time, but ill do some more trials first.

majinpunisher - thanks man, hopefully ill have more of those coming up soon..

Sirio_Brozzi, bradley, oishiiniku, jtheanswer, madplanet -
    i try to give some life/character to these objects/environments. if it is successful or not i dont know, but thanks, its a nice compliment.
    built environments show something about the society and people living there. architecture for me is about people and what you can provide people, what kind of activities you stimulate and how much freedom you can give. in these sketches and illustrations though, these objects are the main subjects, so they become my characters.

actually, now i think of it more, i think there are really only two important elements to the cityscapes i do:
    -im trying to show life without living people.
    -the metropolis to me, is like an organism. growing. to me the tech seems almost organic. highways, train lines, fly-overs, aircons, ducts, wires - theyre so wild its almost like greenery. nobody seems to be in control of it and it just keeps on growing. out of control. i love that.

Shinryu - thanks, your stuff is growing too man. keep it up.

as an update just some older and newer feature studies from my vanderpoel booklet

comments and crits appreciated.

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive studies man, and of course the portraits are lookin killer, as always. I like, your thoughts on city scapes, "life without living people", nicely articulated. Lookin forward to some mo.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19