Page 38 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

Thanks
    in a hurry, but some quick replies:

purb - no its cool man, i mean, you saying they were so nice made me think 'yeah, these could do with a better photo'... thanks!

meatsworthy - agreed, i'm stretching with all of these, but in that one the face didn't really come out well...
    and yes, malaysia air, very nice planes and service, really chill people... but man, what a long flight and wait at KL... you're in KL aren't you? iv'e been there a couple of times.. love how international it is. as a kid i grew up in an environment with loads of different cultures and it reminded me of that a bit...

magic - darren, cheers man. although if you see something to crit i'd love to hear it, i really value your eye.

ryan - don't be sorry for being busy man, do your work and crank out some nice designs. appreciate the comments of course though...

dannysketch - cheers man, glad you like.

bojee - alan, thanks. i'm doubting if i'm gonna do this project and each day's production on here. would be nice but can also be sooo distacting... i'll see. i'm posting a start though...

iolurna - cheers mate. everybody always talks about the lines which is funny cause all i actually always think about is shapes...
    enjoy the acrylic tut and post some results up man, would love to see it...

i talked a bit about an assignment i'm doing now, which is a tour book for this japanese goth/rock/boy band. the tour book is going to be 24 pages with just full page illustrations of the band members standing in my drawings. the drawings are really rough and shit, and thats what they wanted. i do the photo shoot direction and illustrations and compositing of course.

for the shoot directions i do thumbnails of poses/compositions/backgrounds. its all just to get a lot of different ideas, so that you're sure that your final ideas are the best you could come up with for that particular assignment at particular time.
    these are some of the thumbs from today...

i might put the whole process up, to show how i work, but i don't know if i can deal with it - time wise it's very very tight i think... and CA can be soo distracting

later
    Last edited by tensai; November 25th, 2006 at 09:49 PM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    to better explain what these are about i'm posting the previous assignment..
    these were done for the singer of the band in a special about him in a luxury rock magazine here in japan... six full pages, five illustrations; one spread and four singles. everything had to be cut out, drawn and composited in 2,5 days... so if you think they're basic, you're right... if you think the doods stylo doesn't fit; you're right. i went to their concert with thousands of screaming girls in maid uniform and although i dug that, it was scary as hell. it's not my stylo but it doesn't have to be. during our first meeting i had a similar feeling (well, i still do) i warned them, showed them sketches, showed them my finished works and said thats what i can do, and then the guy said: 'i want to destroy my current image....' and i thought, well i can help you with that.. they wanted something rough and strong and hand drawn...

so, when i delivered the finals, they were very well recieved. the singer as well as the magazine editor as well as the artist management were all very happy (and i surprised)... and thats why they now asked me to do their tour book...

anyway
    opener is my big up to jakuchu, one of the kings of drawing of japan (sadly died in the 18th century)...

first the finals...
    Last edited by tensai; October 30th, 2006 at 08:05 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    and i thought it might be nice to show of some of the pages the thumbs, then sketches, then production drawings, and the corresponding final ills...
    Last edited by tensai; October 30th, 2006 at 08:10 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    and some crappy photos of the mag, i'll take some better ones when i have time to set up my lights...
    tensai

Thanks
    totally hott dude. got kinda "willy wonka" feel to it. my fav of the mag ones is the first, where he's wearing your shoes. hehe. keep grindin man.

and did anyone else notice that the singer is wearing 2 different colored contacts? japan is weird man.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Dear Lok, I absolutely love this destroying of singer's image. The illustrations are very, very interesting and beautiful and extreme in my eyes. I love them all, I looked with a huge interest. Maybe I will write more later, I can't now. Thanks, really exciting update, buddy.

Thanks
    Lovely thumbnails to finished peices. I'll subscribe. Awesome

----------------------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80906

Thanks
    You did a really great job with that layout.
    I'm not sure if I should be this afraid of the singer though.
    Perhaps it's just culture shock ...

Thanks
    Hah, man, those are out there! Nice job. Enormo-shoes is great. And they printed really well, too. Congrats!

Thanks
    purb - actually because of the clothes he's wearing it does have a kind of willy wonka feel to it. some other people said it reminded them of alice in wonderland... thanks bro.

sve - well, these recieve some pretty mixed reactions from people around me
    so its really nice to hear that from you sve. your always so spot on in your reading of images so i appreciate it.

bard - thanks man. i'll post some more soon.

max xiantu - haha, there is no way anybody would be scared of that singer. extremely timid guy. i was talking about the thousands of dressed up girls all screaming and doing all these little mannerisms at the same time... well that, and the 40 year old woman next to me that kept talking to her teddybear and adjusting its coat, giving it drinks and snacks and making it dance... and not laughing one time during the whole thing.

andy p - haha thanks man. i'll make some better photos of the mag but the printing was really decent quality...

late last night...
    Last edited by tensai; October 30th, 2006 at 08:15 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    great work! very cool that the magazine ran your images without throwing a bunch of text on top of them -- you almost never see that in the US press.

now, I have to ask, what year is it in Japan? I can see the Wonka/Alice vibe, but I'm also seeing A Clockwork Orange and the Labyrinth from the way those musicians are dressed. it's 80's fantasy fashion come true!
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Damn, How could I have missed these, That's some cool stuff there Lok. I have to agree with the Willy Wonka, Clockwork Orange comparison. Very cool bro.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    that's crazy. cool designs, but weird japanese dude, lol. love the orange and green one with the ink splashes.
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Page 38 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast