Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    hey, Lok... What an interesting work you are doing now. Sure feels like extremely creative process, no wonder you didn't analyze how it was born and it looks more like a magic or random to you. It's probably happening so fast... I wish I could see the singer pose and how you composed it with surroundings. Inner kitchen of the artist is my favorite place to hang out, not that i had an opportunity to do it often .
    I'm happy for you. Hope you will get more commissions, it looks like you enjoy the process, despite that you said that something is not how you wish it.

It looks for me and maybe I'm wrong, that they want image of harmless, unpretentious, charming, personal, but not obnoxious, lighthearted, a bit strange, not totally understandable, sweet, mild mannered, but elegant guy, sort of space cadet. totally unpractical, but likable. A bit of out of this world... The one who feels the best in his own imaginative world, which looks like inner side of his own brains, complex maze of delicate tubes, paths and curves. Kind of philosopher..

Why I think that... if you want me to interpret what I see:
    Suspenders and top hat: my associations with English gentleman, always neat and capable to be dressed for five minutes, meaning good, soft manners. Here goes unpretentiousness too, good taste, an opposite to vulgar. And his personal, simple, modest poses, when he sits or stands leaning to the wall, too simple and not demanding extra attention to him. Be he in crowd, he would l be not noticed.

He dressed accurately, so again, manners, taught with long years of discipline, and from here I think he is modest and sweet and mild mannered.
    Unpractical: because there is no attribute of luxury and richness in the final illustration.

Original, not totally normal: bright orange suspenders and bright colors in the BG.

Personal: he looks straight into viewer eyes and all his poses, body language is open, not guarded, not pretentious, although not involving, just polite. Like he is open for contact, but not insist on it.

Weird, well it is his dress and surrounding and red eye in the illustration when he sits.
    Not from our world: he is wandering like in some sort of maze which I interpret like his own brains or maybe his imaginative city, which in the end the same thing.

I think that's why they want simple sketches from you, your lines, because they're elegant. Light, a bit whimsical, like human thoughts should be and they have direction to somewhere, only we don't know where. they lead somewhere, but we don't see the final destination... space cadet he is.

That's what I think.
    Together your collage creates delightful, light hearted, but potentially complex feeling. I don't know, it is a bit of a contradiction, but that's how I feel. Mild, simple manners and surroundings, but complicated and not immediately decoded. Sophisticated. An opposite to obtrusive.

So in your new sketches I imagine him flying in the sky maybe sitting on the huge flying bottle, not sure why it is the bottle though. flying eyeglasses John Lennon style, you know like little bicycle, a saucer with tea cup or some old fashioned object would be more appropriate for me . But it is just a guess. Or him sitting somewhere in the corner, not in the center of attention, observing politely... Maybe a bit tired.

I like your use of bright colors, it brings some chaotic element, as I said I See it like him wandering inside his own thought. So they are delightful, original, fresh and bright, a bit on the strange side. Spontaneous, that's why maybe they didn't want you to clean up the lines, they wanted spontaneous of the moment, maybe unpretentiousness.

My favorite sketches:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1162699302
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1162699309
    They are light, confident and elegant. Construction is strange and not recognisable as anything I know, but it has an order and harmony.
    Be well.
    Sveta.

Can't tell which one of the illustration is the best. for me, they are pretty consistent, like one integrate story being told. Maybe the one where he is going up around grey tubes and the only bright thing is his suspenders... It is the most sophisticated one .
    Last edited by sve; November 18th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    only reason i don't post on your thread every time you update is cause i don't want to keep saying the same things over and over. i still love your quickies from the trains and i love the way you use perspective on the simple pipe and mechanical shapes to give your art depth. thanks for the inspiration. wish i had something to say that might help you.
    my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    I have a tendency to repeat myself in most threads, too, and I feel that all I ever say is "great, awesome, blah, blah, blah," so this won't be too much difference. But, having said that, I'm not against giving praise when I see fit to do so.

I like how each of your structures, be it buildings or pipes, isn't repetitious. Your compositions seem simple, but well thought out, like in this last batch where the 2nd and 4th ones seem to be my favorites.
    Good stuff, Lok.

Thanks
    They're all good bro, the second one looks the most like a layout sketch. I think the computer piece might be the easiest to adapt to commercial use but I love anything of yours that involves your drawings.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Your illustrative style is really developing its great to see. Its really grown on me, can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    hey bro, i think you probably control alot more than you think. subconsciencely maybe? im not sure but either way they are badass, lol. the last one with the brown structure is a fav. great stuff.

-ryan

Thanks
    Awesome man, I kick myself for not checking back in here more often.
    Of these new jams, the third one definitely looks like a magazine layout already. Really well done. I'm interested to see how the pose'll fit into the fourth one. Very cool to see you doing work like this, it suits you fo sho.
    Word up!

Thanks
    It's been a long time since I've seen this section of CA, and I'm glad I made a pit stop here! Awesome work, I adore your machinery , and tutorial! Man that's helpful! Sweet!
    ¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    so so many thanks for the comments on those thumbs. really set something loose and changed my thinking about these. i can't really reply individually now, but i will soon (client's brain has been on pause for a couple of days now, i'll explain later). i do want to show the whole process, but when all the hardcore work is done. right now things are mad hectic. i don't think i've made so many drawingsa ever in my life. the stack of scanned work is literally piling up hehe. feels really good though.

i did go to figure drawing class and i did some subway sketches on the way there too.

i also did a 100x70 cm 'thumbnail' sketch with big ass oil pastels. felt really nice to work that big (but my house/studio is not really built for it). i should actually show some close-ups of it.

i also tried some oils (in painter...) as the result shows it's something i totally don't understand yet - but it felt really good doing them. i love the way you can sludge the paint around.

comments and crits as always appreciated...

hope to show some more drawings of the tourbook soon...
    piece
    Last edited by tensai; November 25th, 2006 at 10:02 PM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    great updates dude, the loose stuff is looking good

cheers

Thanks
    Great stuff my friend. Nice work the with mag too.

Thanks
    Great work as always, good to see your keeping busy! congrats on the magazine spread looks great! Cool to see your using the oils in painter, me to it's fun.

I especially like this:
    Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

Thanks
    These color sketches are cool. I really like the little robot sketch too.
    "absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    so beautiful glad to see you recent stuff it's always energic and fresh!

Thanks
    Booya. That's so damn nice. You nailed the shit out of that one, reminds me of George Pratt's stuff. Great line quality.
    The subway sketches look cool too, you could probably get by with the same line economy as in your figure drawings, tho.
    You should push oils around more, you're damn good at it.
    Bling.

Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast