Sketchbook: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helli, tensai, wonderful subway sketches. And it is true, the people in subway are always riding with closed impenetrable faces even when our eyes meet. Or just simply very tired faces. I know, I've been one of this faces . Very interesting to observe, and especially I like the one with colored hair.
    KIM Il-sung is looking very festive, probably just killed someone.
    Sveta Dudetta

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purb36 - aoh shit man, just wrote you a whole reply but strangely the kanji/hiragana transfer all to question marks. never happened before...
    im too hungry now to think what i wrote. thanks for the comments though. and dont worry about my drawing time - my woman loves it when im drawing away..

sveta - yes the subway is a great playground. you have to be quick and sometimes a single bump will totally mess up any likeness you got going but at least im drawing people instead of sleeping...
    kim, and the cult around him is, well not describable by me in a concise way, so i will not attempt it here. during that project i was (still am actually) reading 'under the loving care of the fatherly leader'... i also read some other books, by survivours that made it to the south through china.
    i wanted that sketch to look very propaganda but then with the blood/spatters over his face. dont know if that came through enough..

as for update, just some city roofscapes one-liners.
    Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!
    Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

just something i felt like doing

will post more soon -
    comments and crits appreciated!

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those roofscape one liners are kind of interesting. Some of them have the look of roof tops and also the look of some type of aerial image of a coastline. They have an interesting effect, though. Do they help to loosen up or was this just something to goof of with? Just wondering. I like them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madplanet - those were done cause i felt like i should do some more blind drawing. where you dont, or almost never, look at the page and just keep your eye at the subject.

as a quick update i put them together to form bigger cityscapes here
    Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

comments and crits appreciated.

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will you then use those single-line drawings as a basis for drawing a complete scene? That's pretty cool...wouldn't mind seeing more in-between steps. The amount of information in just those single lines is awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those cityscape lines look really cool like that. By placing them like you did, it has a stacking effect, not unlike a congested city.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think it looks like a city, I don't see anything in particular. It could be used as a starting point for some projected imagery, I can see a kid with a toy gun in one of them. It has some potential to be branched off in different ways, although it reminds me a bit too much of oldschool vector graphics.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments / crits. its been a while, was out of the country for work/pleasure.

max1975 - dont know if ill use this for a full scene. might do some others though. the amount of information just comes from looking more at the subject than at the drawing. and then just drawing every little thing you see. (at some point though you start to see a lot more and have to leave some things out again.) its just a blind drawing exercise..

madplanet - glad it connected.

armando - definitely no fan of vector graphics, like i said, it was just an exercise.

van - thanks man. you seem to be doing good judging from your recent painting activities. looking forward to another update.

as for my update:

couple of quick pencil sketches from ref

brush pen/marker

some older trainsketches

and an old version of a cityscape i did. thinking of finishing this one too, but im not sure. hesitant to post this here, cause i wanted to keep this sketchbook different from my finished work thread. its not finished though so ill post it here. wanted to get atmospheric effects like fog down. colouring is obviously not done and might be changed if i choose to continu working on it.

more soon,
    crits and comments greatly appreciated.

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drawings tensai. I really like the city drawing makes me want to do some blind drawings myself.

Anthony Camilo
    "Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" – Confucius

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, tensai, what an marvelous update, I love it!

First of all, it's a great drawing of Tokyo from the bird's eye view. Strikingly beautiful! I feel such an excitement observing this man's creation, and I mean both yours and Japanese folks. I choked when I look at it. In my opinion it's great just like this, no more colors, I think. It's much more elegant and stylish like this. just few transparent colors and I like that orange one too. Atmospheric effect is beautiful. Oh, I'm so glad I see it. Beautiful, full of your soul piece, you are very talented, sensitive to beauty artist. I saved it, thank you so much.

And I love this portrait on the second page of the woman with neck wear. Such a nice, rare expression of her face, I saved her, wish she was more contrasted though, and in bigger size. If you can do it, i would appreciate it very much. Very nice train sketches. Lots of information about those people.
    Thank you so much
    Sveta Dudetta

Last edited by sve; December 20th, 2005 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible cityscape; it has a cluttered claustrophobic sensation even from viewed way above. I mean that in a good way. I find this view of the city to have just as much character in the buildings that the people on the trains have. They seem to have some kind of story to tell. Very interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff tensai, the trainsketches are really nice, i've always liked your cityscapes but that last one is amazing stuff

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your cityscapes kills me, man - i love them! How long did the line work for the last one take?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, really cool update, the cityscapes looks hardcore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man
    First of all i have to say that i was a bit scared to look at your sb(i remembered the thread with the cityscapes)!
    But i'm really glad i checked in!Your sb is what a sb should be,full of ideas,studies and drawings from life.
    Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow - thanks for all the replies! i will draw no matter what but its definitely inspiring to get excited comments. its also educational to know what kind of impressions different things make. so, thanks.

camilografix - by all means go do some blind drawings. its a lot of fun and good for your observation and hand - eye coordination. like your Blackbook by the way.

sve - what can i say? thanks for the nice comments, but moreover thanks for letting me see that cityscape in a new way. when i was trying that one i thought i had to do a lot more complicated stuff. but ever since ive been to this huge hokusai exhibition ive been trying to make things stronger, and at the same time more sensitive, by keeping it simple. but keeping it simple is not always easy.. i hadnt seen this ill in the same light though, you showed that to me. thanks, really. i do think i might alter a couple of minor things in this one, if i do i will post the upgrade.

as for the older lady - its got so little contrast cause i did these in blue pencil(boosting the contrast too much brings up a lot of grain on the paper). i will see what i can do with it though, and post a bigger one for you.

madplanet - I find this view of the city to have just as much character in the buildings that the people on the trains have. They seem to have some kind of story to tell.

thanks man. thats a really nice compliment.

shinryu - thanks! im really glad people are not just saying 'its so detailed' (happened in the finished pieces thread, i appreciated the comments, but i was thinking is that all there is to it?)

fellah - whats up man? the cityscapes are killing you? man you are a weapon of mass destruction with all the stuff your throwing at us. seriously.
    as for the line work on the last one, i dont remember too well, i did that one a while back. but mostly i work on it for a couple of hours each day for two or three days. (i have some mad sensitive wrists, elbows and shoulders because of the drawing so i got to stop regularly and do some other stuff and then go back at it again).

Diego - thanks for stopping by, love your book man. nice lines, nice values.

Polonoid - glad you overcame your fears! like you said, i really want to just show the different stuff i do with this sketchbook. so that means design sketches, life drawings and the illustrations. sometimes i cant show the design sketches though, because a project isnt finished yet.

ok, updates are gonna come later today - i just got a call and i have to leave. i dont like posting without art though, so im quickly posting a sketch of my woman that i really like..

will post more soon!
    comment and crits as always appreciated.

thanks

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe this is too big now but this one is for sve -

edit - image taken down for size reasons.

Last edited by tensai; January 10th, 2006 at 08:57 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much, tensai, for the wonderful drawing.

I love this old woman.

I was growing up around my aunts, and they all have this expression on their faces, the whole generation, who were young women and men in 1960th. Idealists, very young in heart in any age, romantics, charmingly and obnoxiously naive. Well, that's what I think. I saved it, very nice of you,
    Sveta
    and thank you again because I feel great now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    goddamn CA issues. For some reason I can't rate this thread.

FIVE STARS in my book dude. love them environments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well its been a little while and since a couple of the first posts in this sketchbook are now gone, im gonna repost these, and start posting some new stuff.

and some new stuff:
    this is the line drawing of a piece i finished a while ago.

and some more sketching on the train:

as always, comments and crits greatly appreciated!

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tensai
    shinryu - thanks! im really glad people are not just saying 'its so detailed' (happened in the finished pieces thread, i appreciated the comments, but i was thinking is that all there is to it?)
    The detail in your landscapes is fantastic but definitely not all there is to them , seen most of the stuff posted there before, nice work

but this which you just posted in the trading pages thread is fucking awsome http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok272.jpg , think you posted a coloured version of it, but it looks great just as original sketch

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing attention to detail...very inspiring...just thought i would let you know..(not much to crit im sorry!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu
    The detail in your landscapes is fantastic but definitely not all there is to them , seen most of the stuff posted there before, nice work

but this which you just posted in the trading pages thread is fucking awsome http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok272.jpg , think you posted a coloured version of it, but it looks great just as original sketch

cheers
    shinryu, thanks. youre right, might as well post that up too.

also forgot too comment to the others

sve - your very welcome man. i really love how different people respond to different things with all the art here on the board, but its especially nice when somebody is reminded/touched the way you were. thanks.

AmishCommy - thanks man, i dont think its 5 star material yet but yeah whats up with the boards these days? keep on flowing those watercolours. theyre so nice and careless.

rodrigo - thanks although that is just too much of a deja vu for me!

Last edited by tensai; January 9th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one have a great point of view, Tensai-san !
    Cheers.
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    tensei, I recall seeing your cityscape piece in the finished section, thinking to myself... damn..........this guy must be nuts.... all those details..... It would serioulsy drive me insane. beautiful line works.

I really enjoyed your cityscape and line works, nice going, a very interesting style, me being a big fan of anime, hehe can't resist. especially your avatar!

cheers,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Julien - thanks man, glad you like.

Bumskee - thanks. im a bit hesitant to show the city stuff here because people cant get over the detail factor. i mean i do appreciate and understand the comments but its nice to hear other comments and crits especially on the other stuff that i do. so maybe i will keep things separated. thanks for stopping by, im checking out your book again - its looking incredible man!

drawing in the train again, no brushpen this time

and from a pic in the newyorker

comments and crits appreciated,

Last edited by tensai; January 11th, 2006 at 12:25 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another environment, whatever..
    but i had some time to work on this one. did some detail work but also wanted to make some sort of colour bomb in there. dont know if that distracts from just going with the simple atmospheric effects. i think i need a fresh eye so i will sleep on it and see in the morning.

any comments or crits as always appreciated.

Last edited by tensai; January 11th, 2006 at 12:26 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some quick trainsketches with marker and brushpen.

comments and crits appreciated!

Last edited by tensai; January 12th, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
    tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your buildings...so much detail. Your people are really coming along too. Keep at it!

SSG #11 is louder than 10.
    Taj | SkapeGoat | Dose206 | Noë | Cromsoneye | Tie | wil.whalen

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13