Sketchbook: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! - Page 25
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woooooow....damn crazy massive update man, i could look at your train sketches all day, incredible linework, efficient enough to quickly capture the person's likeness and yet lay down your personal style...so much to study from

really digging the funky city drawings as always...nice boat at the end too were you trying to use the character of the boat as a sound effect? (i know the character from chinese but not sure what its pronounced as in kanji, so just assuming it sounds similar to the boatish-engine-sounds haha)

keep up the great updates man

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy crap, when'd ya have time to do all the other stuff you said you did. Makin me feel like a big fat slacker ( which I am ). The heads are solid, I really respond to the shapes ( go figure). The new figure work looks more confident, nice shapes there too. Your cityscapes are always a favorite of mine, I think the ink ones are my favorite, but the clean one is so nice too, just more what I expect from you. What else did I leave out, that watercolor is fun ( intense eyes), still life, robots, pipes, thumbnails, and tugboats. You've pretty much have covered it all haven't you? Thanks for setting the bar so high.pld:

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow so cool update man. Sooo coool.I love watercolors as a medium and I have to appreciate how you approach it. Do you have more watercolors to show? Please post some .the mimimalism on thefaces and the nudes is praiseworthy.ANd yes I am a big fan of your cityscapes.But then , who isnt?god I am such a bad asspatter.
    Anyways, I am in the proces of watching some japanese movies. Do you have any recommendations, and yeah I also watched Paprika yesterday.Its ...well one of the best animated movies. YOu might have had already seen it, if you havent ,do watch it , its a really well told story.
    GOdspeed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to come back later and drop a proper post here - right now (beside running a little late) I really need to let the awesome massiveness and massive awesomeness of this update sink in a bit.

Apart from that Kim Cogan painting of China town, this has to be one of the most inspiring things I've seen all month.

later!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this last post is great i am digging it all, i like the b/w composition thumbs and the train sketches. Until next post. Take care.

-Jesse

"it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    absolutely beautiful stuff .. you have so much life in your portraits

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow o,O , impressive indeed. pretty much like every single drawing.
    how do you get around doing some figure drawing in tokyo? Id like to do some too =/ tho I dont know much about the scene yet, and my japanese isnt yet really good enough to get around events spontaniously(spelling?)
    and, crits anit really my koucha koppu. so ....
    peace

Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude youve been freakin busy, awesome work man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awthome!!
    I guess i'm a fan of the realism. # 6,8 and 9 stand out from the train sketches. however i like the later blue ones with the detached shapes a lot too. the figures seem more structured in this batch good proportions and confidence.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inspirational stuff in here.. so much improvement from earlier pages to this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hot damn that update is fantastic!

I can learn from your thumbs and compositions!

You know, these sketches reminds me that I should do more loose stuff and just relax..

I'm a fan! 5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back as promised, still flabbergasted...

It's such a treat to see so much quality work all at once, before you are able to process one set of work the next is already there to make an orgasmic stack. I'm finding it harder than ever to level crits at these...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...5&d=1180318622
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1180318599

These two especially caught my attention. the top one for how well those shadows read - it seems to add even more to the character. Don't think I would have had the same impression of the guy if the shadows were missing, even if he had the cap on. The second one for it absolute simplicity - not more than a handful of lines though I can already tell how this guy would look up when I approach him.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...3&d=1180318696
    ^ Same case with this one, so much character and personality, love the bits coming off of him, like he's disintegrating. It really livens up your drawings and puts them into their own reality rather than an imitation of this one.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1180318723
    ^Love how just skipped drawing the nose and chin here and let gestalt take care of it - makes the face breathe and relax, almost a sort of resigned look. In contrast the one right after - whilst the expression doesn't differ dramatically - looks infinitely more focussed. Really love this type of subtlety in your work.

The figure studies are very proficient and well executed, really think you have a way with pen/ink that you don't yet have with charcoal or similar media, though that's probably just my way of looking at things.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1180318886
    this one particularly caught my eye - great sense of weight and gravity.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1180318874
    for my first crit, this one feels just a tad stiff, though I think the problem lies with the model since the lines are still loose.

The last five or six drawings are my absolute favorites - the cityscapes are magical, really engaging pieces. Like how there's also a lot of personality in them too, despite not being people/characters. I can level one or two suggestions at them: I think you can bring some more visual variation into them (not too much I think), perhaps a different part of the city in a similar style? Also, I love the visual motifs you're working with - pipes, extractor fans, vents, aerials, the whole urban feel is very strong but - and I don't know how Tokyo looks apart from photos and film - some more of these visual motifs may add some spice to the 'scapes. It feels almost like your are composing the images with pictures of different things in the city, rather than just line, shapes, tones, etc. - so adding some extra "words" here and there might add something. Not to overdo it though, these are already sooo good - far beyond crittage.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1180318960
    ^ Absolute favourite from the whole batch, though not by far. There's just so much good in here, but I think this one takes the cake.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1180318970
    ^ also really dig this. Something that caught my attention was the little triangle of waves (?) just below the waterline of the boat, and the diagonal extending up through to the text. Don't think it would have felt the same without it, so again way to go on the subtle stuff.

Thanks for sharing man, sorry I can't give much meaningful feedback and just asspats - these are just so far ahead of me. That cityscape is going onto my desktop. Would love to colour the scapes one day when I'm sure I won't ruin them .
    Keep up the good stuff -eagerly looking forward to the next installment,
    cheers!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wont be saying as much as brendan, just a littleround of applause from myself and a thankyou for the inspriation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck! Love it all man. Last four inks pld:

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a crush on tensai.
    And your drawings too.
    The heads and figures absolutely kill, man. Really awesome confidence goin on, great shapes in the figures. The cityscape's got awesome dynamics, nice contrast. Very attention grabbing.
    Super impressive dump, man, this was a banner post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great updates

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great batch of faces and the boat at the end is pretty dam good as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    paperX - haha, no - sound wise it totally doesn't work but visually i thought it did. it's pronounced fu-ne.

bojee - alan, hey man. now that you say it i do think the figures might look more confident but i think adding the dark areas made it look less attractive in the end. i really want to work with a big ink brush over there but i cant really stack or dry them over there. it's in japan so there's not that much space.
    as for the cityscapes, well i did go with some of the dirty ink ones in the end. i can always do the clean ones too but i'd like to expand of course, and the heavy black of the ink fitted to this magazine i did them for. i'll explain at the update..

bhanu - hey man, thanks. i want to do a lot of watercolours, bought some paint but keep getting side tracked. i'll post them when i have more of course. so how is that scanner situation? i'm asking because i have a perfectly fine working scanner lying around here that i'm not using. if you could us it perhaps i could send it to you.

about japanese films - i didn't see paprika yet. i missed the theater release because i was working in holland and the rental dvd is not out yet. the dvd here is only in japanese so i'm not buying that one. i'll rent it once it gets out cause i'll understand enough but i'll have to wait abit. i'm a big fan of satoshi kon though. did you see tokyo godfathers? also by him.
    i used to watch a lot of japanese movies when i was studying. always had them on in the background when we were working late, finishing drawings or making models.. i like some older ones like tokyo drifter by seijun suzuki and seven samurai and tokyo story by kurosawa (very slow though, but great atmosphere and visuals and constrained emotions). i have a dvd about the 1964 tokyo olympics directed by Kon Ichikawa which is an incredible feat photography wise and it tells a great visual story not just about who won, but about sport, suffering, effort, etc. highly recommend it.
    space traveller by motohiro katsuyuki a really cool comedy about japanese society.
    battle royal (part 1 only, 2 is, well beyond sad if you ask me).
    postman blues by tanaka hiroyuki aka 'sabu' or anything by sabu actually is really worth seeing and connects really well to everyday japan i think.

audition by miike takeshi is one of the only horror films i understand. i could never see it again though.

kitano takeshi's movies i can watch over and over and over again (which i did). sonatine, violent cop, kid's return, and especially hanabi i all really like. have fun. paprika is already available in india?

j.mac - cheers man. the thumbs are a great way to think visually about different options for designs. i often force myself to do 30 in an hour or 50 before lunch or something to get all the different ideas out there and then select or combine or whatever i can do to them to find something good.

nethus - thanks man, i got a long way to go with it though.

calle - we pm-ed. it's not really a scene, but at least you know where it's at. thanks for dropping in man.

koppa - no man, i just had it piled up cause i was too lazy to scan really digging your paintings and painterly pencils man. learning a lot from those.

pennington - ha, that's cool man, and thanks for being honest. i like them too but having an interesting time with the other work - luckily we can do more than just one thing right? cheers.

molotov billy - thanks man.

epias - well of course you should relax. the best way to move forward is to keep on learning but also by doing. i think you do most when you're enjoying yourself. and - i think it shows when you're enjoying yourself. it shows in the lines and shapes and whatever it is that makes your picture.

brendan - thanks for the great reply man. although i really don't think this is up there with kim cogan's work (yet). i'd like to talk about all your points later on but i'll keep it to the cityscape comments for now. i totally agree that they could have had more variety, and you picked up on it well. these were all done in one spot. i walked around the area cause i wanted to do life city drawing and i tried to find new places. but i couldn't set up anywhere and all the rooftops were closed off. so i went back to the same place and squeeze some more out of it but i was done with it i guess - and looking for more. the one that is your favourite is mine too - i made that version for a magazine which i'm showing in this update.
    the boat was just me being warmed up, well into drawing but not tired and then some luck added on top. but i was(am) reading hawthorne on painting and it's a great great little read, and i guess all that talk about darker colours in front of lighter colours seeped gave off on that one. thanks again for the cool thoughts man. more later...

bradley - thanks and you're welcome man.

shinryu - haha, well i'm not too happy with some of those scapes but some i liked and it was good trying out that technique. thanks for dropping the bomb.

andy - thanks for the sweet lllloving. to be honest i like the contrast in those brush inked scapes but i'm not blown away by the composition and some of the drawing done in them. last scape i dig the shapes and negative space a lot more than the first two. but i'll crank out some more. your work is killer man. i can make love to it all day long. in fact, i'm gonna put on some marvin gaye right now to go with it.

killermachine - cheers! appreciate it.

maxetormer - thanks man, i actually love that boat .

update - i did these for a really cool dutch magazine called mikosa. one older one with screentone from a couple of weeks ago, and an inked version of an earlier sketch and a totally new one. the mag is hand made - with high contrast black and white only so with that in mind that's what these were made for. i wish i could work on it a bit longer though, but, it's kind of busy right now. i'll post scans when it's printed and i recieve the mag here in japan but here's the files (two single pages and a spread):

Name:  lokmikosa4-01.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  299.5 KB Name:  lokmikosa4-02.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  317.7 KB

Name:  lokmikosa4-0304.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  288.8 KB

i have to say my test prints look a lot cooler but there you go. thanks for all the replies, comments and crits as always appreciated.

Last edited by tensai; May 30th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is wonderful http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...3&d=1180318605

You sketches have real life in them and your lifedrawing is coming along too.

Excellent stuff all round, I dont really know what else to say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Killer dude, so gritty. You seem to be getting fun jobs, that's great.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hullo tensai Kun,
    Hmm is that right ? my japanese sucks.Ahh thanks for the reply. AHh, watercolors as far as I am concerned they are the best medium and the best thing about it has a mind of its own.ANd please do post your watercolors.Its cool to see watercolorist at CA as there arent many here.
    Btw killer cityscapes again. Love the sprinkled ink effect on these. I am gonna try it too. Lets see how it goes.
    And yes my scanner still sucks.
    But that will come after the japanese movies.Paprika , its a really really neat movie. Well paprika is not out in India, And I dont think it will (the only animated movies that get screened here are by the big banners/studios).
    I got a subbed dvd through a friend.
    I am going to buy a sub/dubbed DVD when it comes out too. Also I have ordered tokyo godfathers and perfect blue(its by the same director I think) they are going to arrive soon . SO yeah this summers gonna be a japanese bonanza for me. I also bought auction and ichi the killer by takashi miike. I had Heard about tokyo drifter and tokyo story but didnt watch then , now I am going to give them a try.ANd yes seven samurai, is one of the bst movies of all time."1964 tokyo olympics" is it a documentary? ANyway I like olympics and athletic events.
    comedies? I really like the perverse sort of humour in the mangas and anime and shows like gokusen and GTO(live action. So , space traveller is high on my priority list.
    'Sabu' well the only sabu I knew was a strong sidekick of a detective ina indian comic called chacha choudhary I used to read as a kid. I will try to find stuff online. ACtually none of the movies/shows/comics/anime I like watching are available in India.

kitano takeshi -He makes yakuza movies? good enough reason for me to go look for his stuff.
    Thanks a lot again for the all the suggestions.

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The faces made out of small islands of shapes are excellent, as is the b/w magazine illo. Great work as always tensai!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those black and white environments are pretty hip, I am buying into them. XD Waiting to see more from ya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow man your cityscapes always blow me away...especially when they are so edgy and funky

also i'd like to hop on wagon with the anime talk with bhanu, apart from satoshi kon, another recent director that i'm real fan of is Makoto Shinkai...he's a relatively new director who has only directed one 24 minute animated short and one full length movie, both of which has blown me away...

The 24 minute animated short is called "Voices of a Distant Star" and was made entirely by Makoto Shinkai himself over the course of seven months on his macbook (one of his friends did the music, and before it was picked up for publishing, the voices were even done by him and his fiancee)...It is an incredible achievement and tells of a beautiful tale within the time of an normal anime episode...

...hungry for more i checked out his next more financially backed project named "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" which is a full 90-minute animated film, and takes his work to a whole new level.

I'm not going to spoil any details of the stories but difficulty in communication between two people is a common theme in his work. Another thing that really impressed me about Makoto Shinkai his really beautiful environments that help to portray powerful moods and atmosphere in his films.

I know I sound like an advertisement but i assure you a FANBOY is the more correct term

To give you an idea of his work check out these wallpapers made mostly out of still shots from his films (you probably can read it but they are separated by sections of his work, the top 3 sections of which is his newest project named "5 Centimetres per Second"...which looks DAMN awesome, its a 3 part story the first of which is already out, check it out if the wallpapers interest you )

Makoto Shinkai Wallpapers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Astounding sketches! I like your lineart - faces are so expressive! You tell to us about persons so much though you use only some lines... It's unbelievably!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haven't updated in a while - was busy teaching and with deadlines. but i7ve got some finished scapes so here we go.

void - thanks for dropping in man, always good to see what people pick up on.

whiteeee - thaaaaaaaanks!

bojee - it's slowly starting to come i guess. but every work seems to create some new work, or at least the potential of it.

bhanu - did that scanner arrive yet? i do want to do a lot more watercolours and when i do them i will definitely post them up man. take care.

monstertree - thanks a lot man, got some more coming for you.

beelow - well here we are. hope they're not too hip cause that's one hell of an overrated adjective thanks for diggin the pieces man.

paperX - cheers man. just commented in your book, keep rocking those pencil studies!

ok so as for the update - just dropped off three illustrations for an italian magazine, i'll put some scans up when i receive it here in japan. i hope the colours are going to be alright but we'll see. the theme was re-load and peeps working in different media contribute all on this theme. which is why i went with something perhaps not so obviously re-load - as a sort of alternative to the rest, although i ofcourse have no clue what everybody is producing. the mag is gonna be sort of a book with a limited print run, 42x21 cm (16.5x8.2)...

page1
    Name:  lokreload01.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  71.2 KB

crop
    Name:  lokreload01A.jpg
Views: 2123
Size:  65.5 KB

page2
    Name:  lokreload02.jpg
Views: 2129
Size:  91.7 KB

crop
    Name:  lokreload02B.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  87.2 KB

crop
    Name:  lokreload02E.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  80.5 KB

page3
    Name:  lokreload03.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  77.7 KB

crop
    Name:  lokreload03A.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  66.7 KB

crop
    Name:  lokreload03B.jpg
Views: 2082
Size:  46.4 KB

crop
    Name:  lokreload03C.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  49.7 KB

i was in extreeeeemmme time trouble cause of other work i had to do. as always i wanted to try out many many more different colouring ways, and also hated to do the colouring in photoshop again (i'm still not up to speed in painter, but do like it a lot better). i had to use all kinds of tricks to get the ills to where they are now.

i like the direction i'm going in with the drawings though - like my latest life drawing rooftop sessions - with the less detailed work and more focus on simple shapes and compositions. and i'm having a lot more fun working at these... some parts i still wanted to redraw, and make stronger or more simple/stupid style but i guess i'll do that with the next piece..

anyway let me know what you think of these, as always comments and crits greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tensai; June 8th, 2007 at 12:56 AM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh snap, I totally though I had commented on the last batch, but apparently I didn't. I tend to say my comments out loud and forget to type them. I'm smart like that.
    The latest batch of rooftops is indeed awesome. You've got a strong central focus is them, it lets your awesome details breath on their own, the detail isn't the focus of the piece but supports it. Great work.
    I'm in love with this one too, great textures, works the eye around the piece.
    Just curious, how'd you get in touch with the Italian magazine? Seems like a very cool contact/job.
    Your stuff is just too sexy man, let's not let our mutual admiration get too dirty!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow nice update man!!!! thanks a lot for the comment in my sb i'm really digging the latest pieces...mainly because I'm a big fan of stylish city scenes combined with a elegant gradient, i think it sets a beautiful mood...so this update is right up my alley (oh god that was a bad pun ) i think i like page 2 the best, loving the perspective of page 3 too, i'd kill to have one of these blown up and stuck on my wall

sorry for not really giving any crits...i only wish i could get my hands on a copy of that mag

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tensai,
    Great to see your new post. The colors are lively and jumpy, I dig.Well the scanner hasnt arrived yet, ANd I dont think it will arrive in my presence , because in a few days I will be leaving for my village for some important purpose. But i will try to scan stuff after I come. Oh I feel giddy.I am sorry that I wont be able to send to CD soon. Well It will be the first thing I do when I come back.
    Well, take care.

Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19