Sketchbook: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! - Page 23
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah - i totally forgot to mention that.. who's the idiot now?
    so, some of my cityscapes were featured on startdrawing a couple of days ago. there's some really good stuff one there. check it out . cheers man

you don't have to be asian - so you could just come over here... hehe.

Last edited by tensai; April 24th, 2007 at 12:49 AM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, those drawings are kick ass, real fresh. Nice combination of stylism and realism. That article is super cool too, congrats bro!!!!

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aight - some replieeyes.

naomiful - cheeeers, love your book - and your avatar hehe.

bojee - alan, i think that all came out of the discussion i had with myself, then basquiat and the japanese artists, then sve, and then me again. a friend of mine said he thought the portraits didn't have the strength of the city scapes yet, but thought they'd probably come together some way. your comment is kind of interesting in this light.

ham-e - yeah that is funny. sort of a phantom post. i guess it's appropriate, since it tought me so much, but often things slip away - out of your attention - again. perhaps this will keep me focussed on the discussion.

solon - you don't need anything, you're doing some sweet stuff with that water you keep putting on those pieces of paper.

calle - now that is funny. i saw some of the concept art for that and thought it was quite similar. better, but similar. then a couple of weekends ago i was in inokashira koen (kichijoji) and saw michael alias the director there. i didn't have anything on me but walked up to him and we talked a bit and i gave him my site address. needless to say i would love to work with a crew like that.

idiodd - hey man. thanks for reminding me of the article. i'm always enjoying and learning a lot when i check out your stuff, and comments..

bojee - ha, thanks. it was a bit of a recycle of the one that was on lines and colors, one of the nicest blogs around i think. great writing and divers art work, daily. you know about that blog right?

key, some figures from last weekend. i'm posting a couple of them but thought only the last two are really worth anything. had a lot of fun though.
    Name:  lok25apr002.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  lok25apr003.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  lok25apr004.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  lok25apr005.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  lok25apr006.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  lok25apr007.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  lok25apr009.jpg
Views: 1742
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  lok25apr010.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  59.1 KB

comments and crits as always appreciated.

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some paint and pencil fun (adjust colours slightly in ps but still soso..).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool man your figure drawings and portraits are really nice more please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tensai View Post

key, some figures from last weekend. i'm posting a couple of them but thought only the last two are really worth anything. had a lot of fun though.

Name:  lok25apr002.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  lok25apr006.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  lok25apr010.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  59.1 KB
    I think I like these three the best, I'd love to see you putting in little specifics that say it's this model, that make her unique. I know they're short but you can do it. More like how you did the recent faces. Keep putting in those backgrounds too, this last one's way better.

Your cityscapes rock, always have, always will.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    koppa - thanks for dropping by man. will do on the figures and peeps.

bojee - word, i don't know if i can but i'll try to put some character in there..

some pen/pencil/marker/whatever thumbs

Name:  lok148.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  lok144.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  lok137.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  lok132A.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  62.7 KB

comments and crits as always appreciated

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketches man, you make me want to work with markers again. Really like the play on shapes and lines.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1177495388
    This is great as well, the unusual use of colour is very successful, puts it on a whole different level and gives it emotive appeal (at least to me hehe). The more I see your work the more I love it and the more I love your approach to making art.

Your FF thread rocks hard btw, very enjoyable!
    cheers dude!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I saw you where browseing my book.. So I thought I'd check yours too , great stuff man I'd love to see more of those hi-details city shape pictures that you've done in the past! I really love them, and its the kind of look i'd like to apply to my ink stuff haha!

You have a really inspiring sketchbook, keep the great work up please

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup tensai, kick ass enviro0nement as usual, you got an eye for composition. Like the grainy paper too. I also like the looseness of your figures, some of them could be a bit more accurate tho ( look whos speaking ) It doesnt look bad, but they could look a bit more realistic , you could try to0 spend a lot of time on a figure, id like to see how far you can push it. Keep it up dude.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Lok... I had a peek at what you like in music now ... hehe, You are so crazy... Alternative jazz, heh. you are a rebel . rejection of melody for purpose of bigger freedom... tells me a lot about you . I listened this crazy man rambling about black jazz, I admit I hardly understood him, but his body language was very expressive and when I looked at him and on his funny cockiness, him making statements with bright signs of poverty on BG.. I felt funny and i thought that he must be a very power greedy man. obsessed about control man... You know he looked like sort of charismatic leader of little cult... where group of outcasts is led by very controlling man... and in the end this leader burns the whole thing literally just to feel this excitement not being stopped by anyones, having limitless authority over other lives...

To think about... you have a strong contradiction in your personality... architecture... strictest taste and admiration of system and clear lines, following rules... and alternative jazz... non conformism, pure improvisation in its extreme, rejection of any forms and limits. I wonder how it combines in you and how it manifests itself from time to time... it should find its way out somehow . ... I bet you refuse to take a bus sometimes and go through the whole distance on your two . I bet you don't sit in a movie theater to the end of the paid entertainment if it is boring... you stand up and go away saving time, clear head and losing money . I bet your atelier is a mess but organized mess, you remember where everything is. I bet you did some pretty big sharp steps or major changes in you life, unexpected steps, too bold...but you don't regret it... you don't regret almost anything in you life... because despite that you are a very passionate man, you make all your decisions thinking them all over thoroughly. I bet you don't gamble because you think it is stupid...I bet you saw lowest desperate moments in life already and you evaluate life according to this memory.

I might be wrong .

OK, back to art... yeah, huge changes in figure drawing, IMO.. kind of funny to look,,,where all this emotion was before? Now it sends demanding passionate signals... so openly.
    I would say I like all of them,,, the feeling is consistent I think through the whole session.
    Sometimes it's bold and destructive (to proportions for example) sometimes it is sketchy and light... but it is always there, doesn't let me to take my eyes away and demand me to watching and absorbing.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1177477242 This one is very powerful... hell... I see a bright personality here. Quite organic personality too in that...
    very young egocentric, self absorbed, passionate, nymphomaniac, bold, desperate, unstable woman... Those sticking out nipples and bony sharp edged rib cage... cut eyes like knives. Bones and skin, pure spirit (between her legs), but she is sure able to make someone follow her steps, very sensual. You know obsessed people can be very charismatic... Craziness is contagious.
    Ohh, Lok... you see... I write such crazy things in your book and you said it's OK.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1177477127 This one is calmer, but still very erotic and I like how nicely you showing volume and form. I like those soft charcoal shadows, they are so subtle... and then ... Bammm... greedy black shadow like a spider on this woman head... take this, viewer... that's passion of charcoal and it gentleness. I love those extremes.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...4&d=1177477200 I like this one too for spontaneity and lovely mess.
    It might be a beginning of even better style,,, when half of the lines are absent and an imagination fills up the rest. It is lovely mess, but it is an order in the same time... Everything looks very truthful and on right place.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...5&d=1177477209 I like it... that's what I like... you don't need much to make me feel your emotion... diversity lines and their roughness ... I can see how your thought was going and how hand followed... it is like a lie detector device.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1177477234 I like this one too, you should make some hint where her face borders are... now her head looks too narrow and small and effects impression, I think.

The rest are much calmer and much more predictable, I think... I like energy the other ones.

In portraits... I already wrote to you about... they all give me the same emotion... slow numbness of brains... maybe it is this medium and this weak blue color,,, such clam, even lines... I really dislike them.
    Those two portrait appeal to me because the slight grotesque gives them some interest:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...4&d=1177374993 I like his eyes going to the side and his indefinite expression on the face, half open mouth... this portrait would be so much more expressive if you did it in some other, much warmer media... this pen is like the quietest, the most faceless mental patient in your psychiatric clinic... Art is a decease of soul... I think sometimes.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1177375006 This one,, because it is funny, unstable personality ...
    Actually I like all profiles. you caught soul in those. medium is a horror though in my opinion.

Well the last update is gorgeous... hehe I thought about children playing in wars on paper with crayons ... I like this strongly pressed pencils and non compromising resolute lines and stubbornness and confidence.
    I liked those torn tortured ends of tubes and little explosions in every images... they all look wonderful.. little dictators/tyrant on each page. .

Well that's all... I'm off to bed.
    Bye... Flowers for a lady. hehe. She didn't get them . I steal all flowers on my way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I'm loving your line gesture in those figures, great work, really enjoy your process, thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

36 point perspective

okeeeeey - updates. well - and comments.

brendan - thanks for the props man. those were marker and pencils and pen. i agree, great fun and i love it cause you can just work so damn fast with them. i have to reply to that finally finished thread of mine. i always forget about it but thanks for checking it out.

dile - great that you get inspired man. i'd forget about the look, or any style and just do your thing though . i think that's always the best way to produce something interesting. even if it fails.

whitec - well it's from life figure drawing sessions so no, i don't have more time to spend on one figure. good idea to do it at home with some ref though. i keep asking my wife to pose but she always keeps on moving and putting her ass in my face ...

darktwin - thanks to you too man. always good to hear from people.

sve - love that post. the props are nice and the crits are good. it's ssuch a relave when you just come out and say you hate certain things. i think it's a very personal thing. and sometimes that's all it is. i started a little experiment for you but it's not finished yet. hold on. it's about the mechanical blue pencil you hate...

about the jazz - man, that post was still quite structered for some of the stuff i have here. do you have a good connection? i'll send you a little something if you are. the crazy man was lee perry, he's not a jazz player but a legendary dub music producer... he did a couple of interesting things, one of the first musicians to sample sounds in his music.

although architecture is not only about rules it obviously is a big part of it. systems as well. but you can invent new systems and processes and that's part of what does make it fun.
    when illustrating i still like the design part and the process i have for it is on a abstarct level very similar of course cause it's just part of me. but you don't have to sell it as much and you have more freedom for sure. you also get asked for your own view, it's more personal and you can, and should, have more fun (i think it shows when you do, and it often produces new unexpected things).

your guesses about me are quite spot on. i don't know how you do it but just for fun i'll walk though them:
    your right - i almost never, ever take the bus. i'd rather walk 30 minutes than wait 5. movies same, clubs too. i'd go away if the music turned bad.
    although with movies and theater performances i do have more patience or curiosity to see if there is something good coming. (i once sat through an incredible bad experimental theater performance with such a contrived system of delivering lines that i was disgusted. when it was finished i met a friend who works in theater and i explained point for point what i thought was so incredibly bad and uninteresting about it. ended up she produced it. i told her it was obviously nothing personal but she was still a bit upset with me afterwards).

my studio, well i seriously just cleaned up a bit and this is what it looks like right now:
    Name:  lok30apr001.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  98.3 KB

yes you're right - i heardly have to search for anything unless somebody borrows something and puts it back 'wrong'.

bold steps - yeah, that's a long one. i guess there were some or more than some but regret is something for a couple of minutes only. after that you move on and do something with the situation you're in.

gambling, i once won the equivalent of ten dollars. i think that's the most i'd get out of gambling so i quit while i'm ahead... i don't know i just find it boring. i could find it interesting i think if i'd really go into it. developing and testing some self thought-up system. but it's still only about money so...

about desperate moments; well it would be nice if had the worst behind me already but i can hardly expect it is. i do agree you tend to calibrate experiences to existing experiences. i once worked for a couple of months without doing anything else but working from 10:00 till 00:00~02:00 with the last two or three weeks sleeping only three hours daily. no exceptions. no real breaks. in the beginning it's really tough but after a couple of days you start to accept it, and more important, adapt. now, any assignment i do when it gets tough or when i have to work hard i think 'oh this is nothing'. it's nice to know you can break through what you think is your limit.

about the drawings:
    figure session. i have to say it's always always a challenge. sometimes i want to go for more structure. but especially after your now ghost post and my respons etc. i wanted to have fun and relaized it's also a big part of studying. partly study more foundation kind of things. partly experiment with different things/ways. letting your feeling come through on paper. but never making marks just for the sake of being 'expressive'. still look well and concetrated, but putting it down boldly. still analysing, but translating it differently. looking at shapes, and characterizing them. simplifying them. this is what i was trying to do. i still want to do more foundational studies. but these are important too. i don't like the outcome of that last session so much though. except like i said the last two. how you describe them is very intens and almost erotic. if i ever, no, when i get an exhibition here in tokyo i'd like to ask you to write about the work. would you be interested in trying something like that?

portraits:
    it's such a relieve to hear you say you really dislike these. i like them. i like the pencils i do these with too. but it might be cause you look at them differently. i see them as in between sketches standing in the train. what do you think of the train sketches done in marker? not that i feel that you have to like them, just curious where it comes from. i don't think it's because the lines are all the same or dead - because well i think they're not. some of these (not all) have very varied lineweight.

marker/pencils: saying that these remind you of children drawing is oneof the coolest compliments i think i ever got. thanks .

phew - updates:
    i'm a bit behind on scanning and photographing drawings. i'll post these though.... i know it's a far cry from what people like to see on this site but i'm having fun and it's part of an overall learning experience. in general i would like to say i feel there is a lot of emphasis on anatomy, perspective value etc. which is all incredibly useful and i learn a lot from all that. but there is also a valid reason to sometimes let that go and see what happens and focus on other things for a couple of drawings.. anyway, i did these three from ref really quick. mingus mingus mingus:
    Name:  lok30apr002.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  lok30apr003.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  lok30apr004.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  53.7 KB
    i like the hands on the first one... great anatomy.. they were drawn straight in ink, no sketches or pencil lines etc. i'm not so happy with the faces but do like some other things in these. the blacks i like and the way of working i like. i'm gonna try a lot more of these i think.

a quicky ink job over one of the hated train sketches see if that changes anything...
    Name:  lok30apr005.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  39.5 KB

a pencil sketch of jeff koons and one over those with diluted ink...
    Name:  lok30apr006.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  lok30apr007.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  75.7 KB

watercolours:
    Name:  lok30apr008.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  100.2 KB

felt pen today at the rooftops. it was beautiful weather and i took music and tea and i felt i had my own private club up there. it was great dancing and drawing and nobody bothering you.

i'm gonna add watercolours or screentone but this is the line work (A3):
    homegrove:
    Name:  lok30apr009.jpg
Size:  97.3 KB
    i haver to say somehow this looks better in real life...

and my 36 point perspective exercise:
    Name:  lok30apr010.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  148.0 KB
    this actually made quite a lot of sense to me in representing what you see when you are up there. i looked around, drew a part, then looked somewhere else and drew what caught my eye... looking up, down, walking to the left a bit etc etc.

comments and crits as always appreciated...

Last edited by tensai; April 30th, 2007 at 10:03 AM.
    tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Tensai, those initial ink pieces turned out really nice. The contrast of inks make it really powerful, I liked the first one the most due to the choice of foreshortening the hand, made it really alot more interesting. And the 36 point exercise is quite nuts, but it seems really fun comparing it to the previous environment, chaotic but fun to look at(i feel like trying something like that now). Great stuff as usual dude.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, I won't worry about style =) But the line work really makes that kind of work detailed and interesting

The last one is awesome!
    and lol, your studio is messy I could never draw in there ^^

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Downright awesome work man!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1177938385
    ^ Love it, fantastic piece I think. Seemingly 'random' elements help so well with the composition.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...5&d=1177938412
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...4&d=1177938406
    ^ wish I was there hehe. Very cool, I imagine myself sitting on the rooftops sketching the skyline. Would you mind if I have a go at colouring some of these?

Those first three inks make a very cool series too, great handle you have on the inks.
    Well, after seeing this I'm of to draw again.
    cheers!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eeee. really nice, i really like the architectual (proper english?) ones, as always. are you still in school about now? or if not, where does the figuredrawing sessions take place? o,O .

cool that you meet the director dude, fascinating you could actually recognize him. - I havent seen the movie, yet, I might get around doing it someday but the movies and stuff aint really cheap around here ne.
    Did he comment your work btw? i guess hes a busy guy, but it would be cool ^^. as you said, working with a crew like that would be an amazing experiance, even tho I dont know much about making acutall animated film =/

peace

Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude i LOVE these ones http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...hmentid=131738 great use of shapes and stuff man, id love to try some of this out myself, thanks a lot for sharing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tensai View Post

Name:  lok30apr002.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  lok30apr004.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  lok30apr009.jpg
Size:  97.3 KB
    and my 36 point perspective exercise:
    Name:  lok30apr010.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  148.0 KB
    this actually made quite a lot of sense to me in representing what you see when you are up there. i looked around, drew a part, then looked somewhere else and drew what caught my eye... looking up, down, walking to the left a bit etc etc.
    Solid solid posts lately, that other post of the quickies was cool but this stuff is great, and that last post is beyond brilliant! It makes so much sense, have you seen Hockney's photo series? Sort of a similar idea......you're such a stud.

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaan, Lok, you are treating me so nicely... I'm grateful.. and as always I feel like a criminal, making you answer me in full... Don't deny, I know, it is my hands doing.

Well. the least I can do I will return the favor and talk to you honestly and seriously and soulfully as much as I will be able to.

Yes, please send me your experimental jazz... don't think though I'm fresh free from any knowledge in this... I know about them and heard them on live concerts on few occasions. I'm not sure it is a music... it is more like a monologue and an imitation of sounds they hear around them and swearing with using everything that they have under hand, and crying and teasing and copying life around them... it is sure attempt to communicate though.

It will be a bit too long post,,, well because you are rising major philosophical questions, .You are asking me try and analyze my subconsciousness. Why we love some things and dislike others...

Diversity of lines... it is not only how thick or thin they are... but how short and long they are and your sense of where to stop, how much diversity to allow is important too... I suspect it is like in any design,,, you probably need not too many of groups or fonts or colors to create optimum...probably four is enough. Then you can increase your visual language by creating handmade textures changing direction of lines, you know... Van Gogh was doing this and I saw one drawing by Renoir built on exactly this: rhythm from lines, random looking patterns creating from them, design inside of a portrait or landscape.
    here one of the examples:
    http://www.ackland.org/art/exhibitio...thecountry.jpg

The other thing is and it is very, very subjective and probably only my taste... well I don't like smooth undisturbed lines... it there are ones you need to make them look emotional somehow,,, like making line to become thinner and weaker in the end ... like a phrase said by a person... starting strongly and getting tired and quieter in the end.
    like here:
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki...Dodson.p45.gif or here
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki...andt_Angel.jpg

Sometimes lines are weak and indefinite, but even more so they talk to a viewer I think,,, like a whisper, like someone's gently trying to change your own view about somehting...trying to influence you from a distance, like here:
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki...s/Example2.jpg

Sometimes it is diversity of curvy, round and swirly and straight lines, like here and you need to be careful not to overdo it.
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki...brandt_450.jpg
    with this manner it is sometimes interesting stylization of fur or hair or other textures happening.

Sometimes it is all together and plus funny looking net of lines plus entertaining thickness of them make all the trick:
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki...es/Example.jpg

Sometimes lines look nervous and slightly disturbed, like startled or not very confident, like artist's hand was receiving signals all the way when he drew and there is some trembling, slight swinging in lines... and it is charming sometimes too... like here:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki...s/pushkin4.jpg

Sometimes the whole composition of lines on paper creates a certain mood. elegant and in this case the composition dominates among other effects. this one is basically long lines sent across the page.
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki...s/balerina.gif
    it would be important in minimalistic drawing I think... not many "words" you have left after following this style. but they should be extra persuasive. Minimalism demands greater knowledge of the object and strict sense of balance, I think.

Here is some slice of image before to make you feel nice about these swollen from ink and thinning in another spots lines...

http://home.roadrunner.com/~elazutki.../Diversity.jpg

-------------------------
    OK. with this discussion I think I said something... hopefully meaningful... although I will be first to admit it is extremely subjective stuff and it will not work with person next to me.

About my guesses... well they are still just guesses...
    I said sometimes you refuse take a bus... because I thought Tokyo is a huge city and i doubt you are able to arrive to any point of your destination on your feet.
    I'm gonna open my cards just for fun...
    I thought you are impatient when it is a waste of your time...because you post more art than talk and because I think I read you complaining that 24 hours is not enough for you... because I feel your ability to get involved with subject, very strongly... to the point that everything else will be frustrating on your way to fulfilling your goal... As I said I think you are passionate man.
    I thought you didn't like gambling because there is no system there strictly speaking, it's a chaos and not the chaos you would like... I thought you saw low points in your life and evaluate life according to them... because you are an analytical type... more on conscious side than emotional... you are looking for system and generalizations, mind is prevailing over your heart. Partly I thought that because you like Magic Man's and my generalizations. I thought your atelier is a mess but an organized mess because of many media you try... they have to be near you all the time and because you are very often spontaneous in your art... and because how you drew your tubes and illustrations for pop band traveling book... they look like a certain personality.

Well. enough of that stuff... crazy stuff.

lets talk about your update and it is a very strong update...
    My fav would be those
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1177938347
    I love this bold blackness, it is almost spooky... a little more of ink and it will eat the borders of man head and features of his face and his hands... I like that in this sketch chaos was hardly kept in its borders but still not falling into mess. it is like rope walking.

I like the face of the musician... but despite that it is a very interesting face and the hands and huge, stiff fingers, still... I think it was not drawn consciously, it is a happy accident... I think it could be done better, still stylized and rough, but with the gesture of this fingers which only musician can make, very specialized, but sweet when you suddenly recognize it and believe in it... Right now it is just an attempt to imitate this quality...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1177938359 This is almost perfect... I forgot to tell how much roughness and little scattered dots add to emotion in drawing... but it seems like you know it yourself... those dots are conscious artistic decision and I love them. I love his face, gesture, composition ...everything... I have some light issues with his left hand, the fingers... not sure if it's just happen or you knew what you were doing... still it is great style and beautiful image.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...2&d=1177938385 I would like this portrait and especially how much moodiness you added to it with those bubbles and transition of colors... but this massive distorted chin is a bit too much off in proportion for me... be it lighter I would pay more attention to the rest.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...3&d=1177938397 Colors are random and not meaningful for me... it can stay in this picture or not... they don't matter... and they should matter.

Last two I like very much , the one that goes first more than the last... Last one looks a bit too calculated..too many straight perfect lines. Looks almost like a ruler was used.

OK
    bye. Lok. that should be one scary huge post...

Last edited by sve; April 30th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    originally posted by sve
    I bet you don't sit in a movie theater to the end of the paid entertainment if it is boring... you stand up and go away saving time, clear head and losing money
    I'm just currious sve but how do you figure you lose money by walking out on a movie? You've already paid regardless. So if you stay you lose time and money, if you leave you've only lost the money.

tensai: I like where your going with the Mingus inks, solid work. Those roof tops are sick!! sounds like you had a blast doing them. Just my 2 cents but I have to strongly disagree with anyone who dislikes your train sketches; They ROCK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    because I know some people who consider it losing of money ...I mean to walk without sitting to the end. . to sit to the end would be receiving something for their money for them . They are pretty smart people. You see.. it depends on your interpretation if you losing anything .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love your line work.. I keep looking at them to learn/inspire/steal techniques and ideas.. heheh life drawings are really nice.. expressive? chairs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your cityscapes blow me away, this is just great as well http://www.conceptart.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=128176&d=1177375006

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been missing out!I need to check this sketchbook more!! Your lines are so organic and beautiful! Kind of eerie when applied to a cityscape..it makes it look alive and organic. dang is that what tokyo is like? man I have to go!

anyway great work!! ;p

ĦQue Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers to all the replies. specially about the ink jams. i'll comment later but i have to get started somethings first.

here is one version of where i took the lines above. not full illlustration but a more flat graphic work. (my hands hurt like a bitch so i'm going easy hehe.)

Name:  lok986-copyB.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  157.1 KB

cheers all!

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool man very cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Blinding my senses

This is my first post so I guess it could be called my virgin post you have now deflowered me with your art.

"Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome man, great colours.
    The flat approach is working very well for this one, like how you have deconstructed and separated elements of the environment with the colour usage, it really helps create something visually interesting and different.

Great work, keep it coming!
    cheers!

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is beautiful stuff.im sad i never saw it before....well better late then never keep on updating

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19