Sketchbook: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! - Page 18
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, Lok... What an interesting work you are doing now. Sure feels like extremely creative process, no wonder you didn't analyze how it was born and it looks more like a magic or random to you. It's probably happening so fast... I wish I could see the singer pose and how you composed it with surroundings. Inner kitchen of the artist is my favorite place to hang out, not that i had an opportunity to do it often .
    I'm happy for you. Hope you will get more commissions, it looks like you enjoy the process, despite that you said that something is not how you wish it.

It looks for me and maybe I'm wrong, that they want image of harmless, unpretentious, charming, personal, but not obnoxious, lighthearted, a bit strange, not totally understandable, sweet, mild mannered, but elegant guy, sort of space cadet. totally unpractical, but likable. A bit of out of this world... The one who feels the best in his own imaginative world, which looks like inner side of his own brains, complex maze of delicate tubes, paths and curves. Kind of philosopher..

Why I think that... if you want me to interpret what I see:
    Suspenders and top hat: my associations with English gentleman, always neat and capable to be dressed for five minutes, meaning good, soft manners. Here goes unpretentiousness too, good taste, an opposite to vulgar. And his personal, simple, modest poses, when he sits or stands leaning to the wall, too simple and not demanding extra attention to him. Be he in crowd, he would l be not noticed.

He dressed accurately, so again, manners, taught with long years of discipline, and from here I think he is modest and sweet and mild mannered.
    Unpractical: because there is no attribute of luxury and richness in the final illustration.

Original, not totally normal: bright orange suspenders and bright colors in the BG.

Personal: he looks straight into viewer eyes and all his poses, body language is open, not guarded, not pretentious, although not involving, just polite. Like he is open for contact, but not insist on it.

Weird, well it is his dress and surrounding and red eye in the illustration when he sits.
    Not from our world: he is wandering like in some sort of maze which I interpret like his own brains or maybe his imaginative city, which in the end the same thing.

I think that's why they want simple sketches from you, your lines, because they're elegant. Light, a bit whimsical, like human thoughts should be and they have direction to somewhere, only we don't know where. they lead somewhere, but we don't see the final destination... space cadet he is.

That's what I think.
    Together your collage creates delightful, light hearted, but potentially complex feeling. I don't know, it is a bit of a contradiction, but that's how I feel. Mild, simple manners and surroundings, but complicated and not immediately decoded. Sophisticated. An opposite to obtrusive.

So in your new sketches I imagine him flying in the sky maybe sitting on the huge flying bottle, not sure why it is the bottle though. flying eyeglasses John Lennon style, you know like little bicycle, a saucer with tea cup or some old fashioned object would be more appropriate for me . But it is just a guess. Or him sitting somewhere in the corner, not in the center of attention, observing politely... Maybe a bit tired.

I like your use of bright colors, it brings some chaotic element, as I said I See it like him wandering inside his own thought. So they are delightful, original, fresh and bright, a bit on the strange side. Spontaneous, that's why maybe they didn't want you to clean up the lines, they wanted spontaneous of the moment, maybe unpretentiousness.

My favorite sketches:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1162699302
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1162699309
    They are light, confident and elegant. Construction is strange and not recognisable as anything I know, but it has an order and harmony.
    Be well.
    Sveta.

Can't tell which one of the illustration is the best. for me, they are pretty consistent, like one integrate story being told. Maybe the one where he is going up around grey tubes and the only bright thing is his suspenders... It is the most sophisticated one .

Last edited by sve; November 18th, 2006 at 12:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only reason i don't post on your thread every time you update is cause i don't want to keep saying the same things over and over. i still love your quickies from the trains and i love the way you use perspective on the simple pipe and mechanical shapes to give your art depth. thanks for the inspiration. wish i had something to say that might help you.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a tendency to repeat myself in most threads, too, and I feel that all I ever say is "great, awesome, blah, blah, blah," so this won't be too much difference. But, having said that, I'm not against giving praise when I see fit to do so.

I like how each of your structures, be it buildings or pipes, isn't repetitious. Your compositions seem simple, but well thought out, like in this last batch where the 2nd and 4th ones seem to be my favorites.
    Good stuff, Lok.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're all good bro, the second one looks the most like a layout sketch. I think the computer piece might be the easiest to adapt to commercial use but I love anything of yours that involves your drawings.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your illustrative style is really developing its great to see. Its really grown on me, can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey bro, i think you probably control alot more than you think. subconsciencely maybe? im not sure but either way they are badass, lol. the last one with the brown structure is a fav. great stuff.

-ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome man, I kick myself for not checking back in here more often.
    Of these new jams, the third one definitely looks like a magazine layout already. Really well done. I'm interested to see how the pose'll fit into the fourth one. Very cool to see you doing work like this, it suits you fo sho.
    Word up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a long time since I've seen this section of CA, and I'm glad I made a pit stop here! Awesome work, I adore your machinery , and tutorial! Man that's helpful! Sweet!

°Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so so many thanks for the comments on those thumbs. really set something loose and changed my thinking about these. i can't really reply individually now, but i will soon (client's brain has been on pause for a couple of days now, i'll explain later). i do want to show the whole process, but when all the hardcore work is done. right now things are mad hectic. i don't think i've made so many drawingsa ever in my life. the stack of scanned work is literally piling up hehe. feels really good though.

i did go to figure drawing class and i did some subway sketches on the way there too.

i also did a 100x70 cm 'thumbnail' sketch with big ass oil pastels. felt really nice to work that big (but my house/studio is not really built for it). i should actually show some close-ups of it.

i also tried some oils (in painter...) as the result shows it's something i totally don't understand yet - but it felt really good doing them. i love the way you can sludge the paint around.

comments and crits as always appreciated...

hope to show some more drawings of the tourbook soon...
    piece

Attached Images Attached Images                                      
    Last edited by tensai; November 25th, 2006 at 09:02 PM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great updates dude, the loose stuff is looking good

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff my friend. Nice work the with mag too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work as always, good to see your keeping busy! congrats on the magazine spread looks great! Cool to see your using the oils in painter, me to it's fun.

I especially like this:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These color sketches are cool. I really like the little robot sketch too.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so beautiful glad to see you recent stuff it's always energic and fresh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Booya. That's so damn nice. You nailed the shit out of that one, reminds me of George Pratt's stuff. Great line quality.
    The subway sketches look cool too, you could probably get by with the same line economy as in your figure drawings, tho.
    You should push oils around more, you're damn good at it.
    Bling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The magazine work came out really nice. Congratulations on that.
    Great new update as well. I dig the looseness ... you have this feel like 'this is my thang and I don't give a #$%' - i love looking at that.
    And the robot comic is fun stuff too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good GOD i love this sketchbook, post #513 is gorgeous mate, and i am loving those loose life studys as well. as always keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just curious.
    did you design your own house?

watched a program recently and there was this arcihtect who found a sweet (cheap!) plot of land in sendagaya and designed his own house. it was really fun to watch, especially the arguments between his creative wants and the wife's pragmatic suggestions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awww, I'm so sorry for missing your last updates, Tensai ! [sb bookmarked]. I just wanna say...
    Joyeux NoŽl, Aniki !
    best.
    Julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welll the illustrations are finished, the work is at the printer and the proofprints looked really nice. i will post them as soon as the tour book goes on sale, which should be before the end of this year.

purb - hey man thanks for dropping in. i hope you're regaining some strength there in switserland (how the hell did you end up there?) i'm still in amsterdam, doing an interior, but i'll definitely contact you when i get back in tokyo.

sve - you have no idea how accurate some of your words describe a lot of things that i think about in japan. i think a lot of peoples culture, fashion or designs are for example not about being practical. i don't know if its true but i often think it has something to do with the state of development japan is in now, as opposed to the big built-up years after the war, than the boom, and then the bubble. i really can't describe it very well here but in (real) short it looks almost as if first things need to be really practical, than when economic devlopment goes well things have to look money/expensive. than when your past all that and everything and everyone has already looked money, you get this kinds of stuff that goes beyond that. you could argue that the pinnacle of wealth is the freedom to not care what you wear anymore. to go out on the street in really expensive but ragged pyamas or something.

i think a lot of peoples clothes here are like that.

but i stray from what i wanted to thank you for. like i told you before, your comments on the illustrations were extremely helpful because they made me focus what it was that was their strength. and afterwards my sketches focussed more on finding simpler and bolder designs. i did a lot of work for them but it all felt like play - i had a really good time and this is what i want to do most. it was so nice designing with colours and shapes and lines and feelings. and it was so nice to be so in charge of what things would look like in the end (much more difficult with architecture). i hope to do more soon with the same photographer.

pennington - i know what you mean man. i have that sometimes myself. it's soo nice when someone gives a good crit or tell you really well what they like about a certain piece. but with what you and madplanet said, i decided to drop in anyway in peoples books, even just to say hi and show some appreciation. sometimes just hearing which pices people like can show you something unexpected.

madplanet - hey man. like i wrote to sve - i tried do find more simple compositions that still did what i wanted them to. operative word being 'find' though. what i mostly did was just sketch and sketch a lot of thumbnails and not so much think but look what worked and what didn't. that's also why i said i wasn't totally in control of these - only of the process. i still feel that way and think that's what will keep this interesting and excitiing to do. thanks for dropping in bro.

Bojee - alan man, how are you? yeah the nice thing about doing an illustration assignment is what doesn't get chosen can still be a nice sketch in the portfolio. that's one of the big differences with architectural design where you sometimes puzzle spatially/functionally and or techincally for weeks and then if it doesn't get chosen you get to keep one or two nice concept sketches but thats it...
    looking forward to some updates from you my man.

void - cheers mate. i do hope its developing bit this has certainly been a great learning experience.

ryan - thanks man. i do understand it better, but some of it will, luckily always stay magic i think.

andy p - i soo wanna keep on doing this or other illustraion work. i've obviously got so much learning to do but i guess one way is to just learn by doing. love your new stuff man.

icon - you love the work here? i can't believe the paintings you have in your book. really, i often look at it for ages. thanks for dropping in!

shinryu - hey mate, just visited your book. thanks for dropping in and hope you update soon.

j a k e - cheers man. glad you like...

ham-e - oh man i love painter. i havent had much time to play around yet but i'll be using it for a lot of the pure painting that needs to done digitally.

shylone - thanks man, more freshness coming up.

andy pt2 - i used to do that a lot but i bought some really phat pencil that i like to use now for the subway sketches. just a change for a while. don't start comparing me to pratt man. that guy is the shit.

max xiantu - i talked about what you said recently with a photographer friend of mine. it sort of is why people ask you to do illustration or a certain photograph. its not free work but they don't come to you and ask you to do something in somebody elses style. at least not for in magazines. so, you have to still sove a brief, but you can do it in your own stylo. one of the reasons why i felt so lucky doing this shit. thanks fro dropping that line. good thoughts.

dannysketch - thanks man. it will be a while before i can attend a life drawing session again. i miss it a lot though.

ah heng - haha, o man i wish. i don't have the money to do that. i designed a lot of them of course, but building will have to wait.. someday i will for sure though.

alday - julien! akemashite omedetou gozaimasu, mon frere. you seem to be doing fine if i see the nice update in your book. have a good one man...

again - i can't say how much i thought and discussed a lot of the comments you all put up in here. i learned a lot from it all. again, many many thanks..

for some updates - i have a lot, but need to get it scanned and i don't have everything with me on my laptop (i'm in amsterdam right now)

here is some stuff i did recently though... some thumbs and some sketches and t-shirt design for the pop group

edit - attachmant manager is acting up on me, or my neighbour's wifi connection is acting up a bit. will upload more work later...

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and the other stuff.

comments as always greatly appreciated

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE!! i want that shirt
    Merry Christmas btw.
    i really like how the sense of perspective is shown in these last thumbs. just a few convergent lines. cool stuff. are those smaller silhouettes cities? about the bengal copy i did, yes it was painter.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, merry christmas!

silhouettes are really nice, congrats on finishing the project. hows amsterdam treating you? hope youre getting all that good food you can't find in tokyo; i sure am. my parents moved to switzerland, so im visiting and stocking up on as much chocolate and sweets as i can. haha. definitely, let me know when you get back to tokyo. good luck with the interior; hope you have a safe trip.

nice shirt. 8)

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new stuff is sweet.
    It would be pretty hot to see you assemble those sillohuette ideas and spacey tubeness into some sort of comic or animation.
    I feel like there's a story there somewhere, or just a linear abstract feeling.

You're welcome for the line. It's a big reason why I'm attracted to your work :.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Tensai, beautiful stuff man, I really like the strong graphic elements of your illustrations, easy to read - your line efficiency is good as well.

One thing you might want to try is to step outside your style, its a cool and funky kind that I don't see much of, but definitely try out other types of art if you want to progress. I'm sure you already know this, but thought I'd point it out anyway - besides, doing a nice sketch or a piece of graf is imo just as artistically satisfying as working in your own personal style all the time.

Happy xmas and hope you also have a great new year.

Darren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pennington - i don't know what those silhouettes are. i think you could develop them in multiple directions but i was just playing around with a big phat japanese brush and some kolinski inking brushes vs various brushes in painter.

purb - hey man. well, i miss the food from tokyo already. i mean, holland has good bread but thats the extend of it. all the rest is not something i'm missing, hehe. good luck with the family portrait man. and have fun over there. my wife used to work close to interlaken by the way. where you at? geneva?

max - once again you write something i've been thinking/dealing with. i know this really cool genius/childish animator in tokyo and have done some backgrounds before in a workshop, but when i get back to tokyo i want to hook up with that guy and propose to do a little bit more elaborate project together. especially with these new quicker styled drawings (as opposed to the full blown cityscapes that take weeks to finish) it should be possible to get something nice going. if things start roling on that one i'll definitely post it back up here.

magic man - darren! oh i totally agree man. i'm all about the studies and trying out new techniques and i'm actually itching to do some new stuff - it's just that almost everything i produced was for this one assignment cause of the tight deadline. figure drawing was always a welcome break but because i'm in amsterdam right now working on an interior project, it's just too busy. there is a wonderful exhibition about anatomy over here in amsterdam right now though so perhaps that will set a new challenge.

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats awesome man, hope amsterdam is well...don't get too high and oversexed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like those thumbnails and how they all seem to be from the viewpoint of on the inside trying to get out. Is there a concept that you were trying for here or just a coincedence? They don't have a claustrophobic feeling to them, more of an awakening type of thing. Just pondering.

Cool t-shirt, does it come in any other colors other than pink?

Hope your Christmas was good and have a great New Year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting sketches, not bad. keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We need some more work from you Lok. Don't forget about us!

Bojee's Monkey Brain

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 18