Sketchbook: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests! - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread - Sept 28 Exhibition + Commissioned Work Tests!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice post. i really enjoy the colors (as usual) im glad you showed some different variations. your line work is really nice as as well. you make some badass illustrations

jaa mata
    -demita san

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reall dig that city man, makes me clostrophobic just lookin at it. If ya wanted to tie that baby into the city more, ya might bring some of the violet of the city into the shadow areas on the baby. Course, it is a giant baby in the middle of a city, he's gonna stick out anyway. Always fun to see what you're up to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back, yay !
    And way too happy to check your SB again. too much pictures for give a good crit, but I really dig the variety of your updates [portraits, landscape and ... bags ?] !!! Keep posting the good stuff, Aniki !
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like these landscape pieces, they are really cool, I think i like the one with the blue in it more.

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tensai,
    I liked the updates.But the last one kinda hurt my eye.The first one looks the coolest.It ahs unsual set of colors.I dig.
    Take care and keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the top one out of those three alternatives. Its got a good atmosphere. Keep rollin. Great stuff here Tensai.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tensai, just droppin in and saying thanks once again for that link to Kohno 's work.
    Interesting this last set...really playing sat vs. desat, compliments and analogous hues. Would you consider doing one variant ala 'salaryman' cel shaded and all?
    Can't wait to see more. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo t,
    i personally like the 2nd set of colors, cause you can distinguish between things. but it is kinda bright on the eyes. anyway, it does look better from the previous page. keep experimenting, and itll come to you.

on another note, i know we didnt get to meet up last time, but i will be moving to tokyo come september and was wondering if you'd be interested in starting a tokyo sketchgroup? hey, ill talk to you soon man, just keep doin your thing. peace.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tensai, just checking out yoursketchbook very cool head gestures i really like them alot. Keep up the good work!! I never saw your sketchbook until now very cool stuff. I will definitely be back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man - i have very little time, and only one drawing to update. but i just wanted to say that ive been to this exhibition of a collection of mr. price - a guy that collected a very very fine and rare collection of japanese art. it was humbling, inspiring, depressing and really exciting. most of the art was of the artist ito jakuchu, and i have to say this - and the hokusai exhibition - was for me one of the greatest easthetic experiences ever.

its in japan, so most of you cant check it out, but the peeps in the states might have a good chance later on. check it out here.

thanks for all the feedback on the beirut drawing - i'm learning a lot from this sketchbook.

Sirio_Brozzi, Ryan Demita, Matt Smith, bhanu, jake -
    like you guys - i'm liking different things in these versions. havent had much time to think about it. i'd like to try a flat rough piece so 2 or 3 fit that bill. with nr 1 it comes closer to a bombing though. and i like the disharmony between the blue lines and the bg even if it isnt so 'suitable' for this one. again, thanks for the input.

Andy - you must be talking about the chinese scape yeah? thanks for the love on that one. the magazine it was for ended up totally downgraded because of cutting of costs and the publishing house being unreliable. the producers were a bit dissapointed with that of course, but perhaps we can work together later again - china really is the wild wild east.

Alday.J - thanks for dropping in again man, willl check out your stuff later on. hope your doing good.

Helzon - no problem man, sorry i couldnt find some more. i want to do some cel shaded stuff, definitely - but i dont think on these lines. i think i want to do it on real cel sheets with acrylics or animation paint. soon, i hope!

purb - cool, dont know if i have time for a regular tokyo sketch club, i just sketch evey time im on the train. but it would be nice. lets see if its possible.

ashrumm - thanks man. really like those big cats you did in your book.

as for the update:
    i got a lot more train peeps stuff, but i havent had the time to scan it yet.
    i wanted to do some inks again though, so i did this one real quick. brush and nib pen, coloured. hope you like...

comments and crits as always appreciated...

Last edited by tensai; August 5th, 2006 at 02:37 AM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting coloring on the last two projects. Keep working with your figures. Great work.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you manually make those splashes with your brush or is it a template? It looks pretty evenly spaced and balanced.

I don't have anything I can crit for this piece except that the top of his head stands out as unsymmetrical.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great stuff in here!
    I like the last one alot man! keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool, I have fan of your drawingzzz.
    Great Stuff ! Pfffiouuu...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tensai
    Cwn Annwn - cheers man. the shoes are perfectly save, very strong and good support point. that was actually why i designed them that way... thanks for dropping by man.

urgaffel - the cover says;
    saisentan butsurigaku ni yoru timetraberu nyumon which means roughly advanced physics' time travel theory for beginners.
    you know the book how to build a time machine? its a sort of guide/parallel book to that one (so that means pretty basic).

im trying to redo and document the process of making the bag, but im mad bussy now, so it will have to wait a bit. it will come though. in the mean while you can search for acrylic gel medium transfer, that should give you some info if you're in a hurry.

i'll talk more later, just putting this up for feedback.

and for comparison sake from the previous page:

comments and crits as always greatly appreciated.
    Sweet sweet stuff man, they graphic design element is so powerful in these - love the bold use of color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work, I'm really enjoying the color vibrations in these beirut sketches.

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just went through your thread here and I must say that I am really impressed by the bigass improvement that's goin on here, especially the hardcore-detail enviros are really great. Thanks for the inspiration, dood!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great updates mate, sweet stuff, really like the new enviroments and the splat effect on that last one

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tensai,

i really like the last post. one of my favorite face studies. strangely the verticle lines spawning from the ink blotches. nice sublte colors in this one. you'll have to explain to me your color selection process someday. really great work here. id like to see some more polished things. not that your recent stuff doesnt look complete, but maybe a grander concept. like chracters in an environment or something. keep posting bro.

take care,

ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    side note:

haha, this is kidna dumb but i voted 5 stars
    for you and when i looked back up you were at 5 stars, lol. CONGRATS... you definately deserve the extra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck this shit. you got a new fan!.

Looking to this stuff is like having a orgasm but longer !!! that means BETTER!!!
    Damnz awesome!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo t, nice marubouzu (?); i think his eyes couldve been left uncolored though, as they kinda get lost in the face cause theyre the same color. about the sketchgroup thing, i was thinking that it could be a trainsketching group even, since (thanks to you) ive found drawing on the train to be a fun exercise, and an almost free source for life-drawing models. theres another dude, ah.heng, who's interested as well in a sketchgroup. hey, if we can make it happen, it would be cool; if not, its still all good. dekiru dake, jikan wo toreba, ii to omou yo. sureddo ga koko dakara, soudan shitakattara, koko de hanasemashou. enjoy the weekend man, ill talk to you soon. keep up the good work, t.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tensai. I like your use of line in all your drawings, awesome stuff. Are you inspired a bit by Imperial Boy the Comic artist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOWWY, great use of color (marker work is cool too~*)!! I'll be honest a lot of your stuff reminds me of Roujin Z (GREAT movie) especially in your city drawings~* The Beirut sketches are powerful as well, makes you really think which I think is nice to see. Thanks for sharing can't wait to see more!

____i_should_be_animating___________
    Sartell's Distraction sketchbook

Nothing touches an artist as much as the person who says, “I would like to own this little piece of your soul… here's some cash.” Matt Cavotta

§ East Meets West SBSG §

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude,
    great improvement from page 1..
    Youre totally lucky to live in Japan, seems like a crazy, vibrant place to be in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've went through all pages of your sketchbook. You must have done many life drawings to achieve such level of detail in these cityscape ink sketches. You must have good observation skills .

As for the coloured sketch of ruins. The last one with blue looks quite unnatural but I really like it. It's very strong (but the second one also works well)

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Lok. How are you doing? You can draw people from life, being drunk? standing in the moving train? OMG. You have potential of superman. They are good. these sketches and it is funny they are a bit different from the others. airier and lines a little more nervous, lighter, have more personality somehow.
    http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok433.jpg This is my favorite, The guy with the cigarette has a mood, he relaxed his tie a little bit, and all his figure and face are a little settle down, muscles of the face and neck are relaxed, like he is tired and his body asking for the end of any activity.

But I have to tell, although all people in your sketches are different people, of all kind of ages and social status, in my opinion the manner to draw them, and especially the fact you chose one and only lighting from above with sharp shadows, make them look kind of monotone. Be they are my sketches I wouldn't be able to resist give some lines more thickness in some spots and put some bigger contrast somewhere. To press my pen or pencils more where I feel something more. And of course I understand that it is your vision, but still, I would add some more unique features to these people.

All your bags are great, exciting design. I think your lines look exceptionally beautiful on this rough and simple fabric. Again I will use the word airy and graceful and inspirational. They just grab my eyes, these lines and lead me traveling on these lovely paths. I prefer the first version the most, because it has more lines, the placement them on the rectangle is very nice and I like the signature or some word made with greasy black.

http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok599.jpg
    http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok596.jpg Those two are my favorite, they already look very appealing, especially the second, the perspective is nice and the composition and I like laconic way you did for it. It is done with little means. but gives the message right away. Night street in finally quietened city. Being tired from daily noise. longing for the rest.

http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok636.jpg I prefer still this version. the coloring make it look less elegant, steals attention from line and too loud, in my opinion. Saturated colors, you know, they are way to active, I would say, watercolors will be more suitable.
    See you, all the best
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus - so many comments and so little time. I'm packing my bags and updating stuff and gathering some drawing gear to go on a small slow train road trip from Tokyo to Osaka. I don't have any art, but do have something to show.

I want to reply quickly though, but i'll start with this - thanks a lot for the 5 stars! It's really very nice, but I don't really feel comfortable - I don't think the star system allows for enough differentiation right now. I definitely don't see this thread on par with some other threads I know. So, I sort of hope it goes back down to 4 again. Then again, I think a lot of threads are overrated, stuff that could easily be 3 stars but has 4 etc. I would say its totally undeserved compared to some, while deserved compared to others. Whatever. Thanks again, its a nice compliment.. now I'll have to start posting some better crap soon

Some quick replies:

Listing - Glad you like 'm, and I'll definitely keep on working.

JERI - Some are from a photo, some from scans.. Does his head need to be symmetrical?

Dile - Thanks man, I will.

$unshine - Merci mon ami, venir encore svp.

Magic - Cheers mate, appreciate it. Still not sure which of these colours I
    like best.

bee-dubya-keo - Hey man, which one do you like best then?

Gloominati - Thanks man, I'm really glad to hear that. Sometimes I don't know if I'm going forward, side ways, or back ward... but I do know I'm having fun while trying some things out.

Shinryu - Hey man, I like where you are going with those fine, sensitive renderings of yours.

Ryan DeMita - Thanks for the comments and votes/stars man. About the colours, it's just trial and error really, and than picking what I like. If you want to know more I'll try to think more abou tit later on.

oma - ducks away

purb36 - Perhaps yeah, but I like lost eyes, and didn't want to focus on them. Might see you sometime soon. moderu sagasa na akanna? suteki na onna toka

2b BOY - Hey man thanks. I'm inspired by a lot of artists, but I don't know Imperial Boy.. Would love to know who does the art for that though?

Sartell - Thanks man, well Roujin Z I of course do know. Ootomo has definitely been an inspriation. Like your book by the way. I thought I commented in it once, but apparantly not. Will do soon, keep it up man.

blanquish - Thanks, again - its nice to hear I seem to make at least some progress. About living in Tokyo, I came first in 1999 with a scholarship, but that was not luck - I worked hard to get that, cause without it, it would have been impossible.

Farvus - Thanks man, you have some really nice architectural sketches yourself. I feel exactly the same way about that blue version. Unnatural and flat/harsh - but I somehow like it.

sve - It's always a treat to get such thoughtfull comments - sharp and sensitive at the same time. Glad you like the 'drunken' sketches. I learned a lot from them, about caring less, while still being sensitive to what you see.

I agree about the train sketches being one style. It is partly because it is always the same situation: 30 seconds to one minute to sketch, back-lit people, trying to draw with my arm but cant cause my elbow is jamming somebody in the thigh etc etc. that is why I'm doing some other drawings, from ref often, with more line weight, or ink etc. I'm sure you've seen them, they're in here too. I do want to try out some other mediums again when doing these, I originally started out with brush pen and might go back to that for a fresh experience.. I love ink and a brush.
    http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok599.jpg
    http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/lok596.jpg Those two are my favorite, they already look very appealing, especially the second, the perspective is nice and the composition and I like laconic way you did for it. It is done with little means. but gives the message right away. Night street in finally quietened city. Being tired from daily noise. longing for the rest.
    Its funny that you chose those to environment sketches, last one was done standing again in the train (but not drunk) while I was on my way to an animation making workshop.

I will try some watercolours soon, perhaps in combination with pastels to do some city sketches. The Beirut one I'm leaving alone for a while, but I think the line only version was not enough (not enough lines?).

Oh, and about that bag - that last picture
    http://www.lokjansen.com/sketchbook/_LOK7212.jpg
    is a photo from the real thing. I looks really nice when the girl I made it for is carrying it. But I might do the other design on a new bag.

Thanks for the things you gave me to think about. I'm so glad I started a sketchbook when I did - it's definitely a learning experience.

I'm sorrry I don't have time to comment anything meaningful in your book right now, (its already past midnight and there is still so much to do before I have to wake up tomorrow morning at 05:00) but I really like your update, and this one http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1154811098
    almost threw me it out of my chair. (it soo intense!.. ) I'll come by later Sve, take care.

O.k for update I just wanted to post a link.
    Today I closed a deal with an on-line gallery that will sell high quality gicl&#233;eprints of a selection of my cityscapes. The prints will be in different sizes but all on stretched and mounted canvas and come with certificates in a limited (numbered) series. I'm really happy with the opportunity and it's really nice to be featured in the gallery with other artists.

Check it out here!

In the same week I got asked to join an on-line photography gallery
    with some really talented photographers, where we also sell prints.
    I havent had time to upload much yet (only three photographs) but there is some
    really good stuff
    there so check it out...

I want to show a really cool new shoe I designed, but we still have to wait for the prototypes etc. but hopefully I can show something soon.

Thanks again for the crazy amount of comments, it's much appreciated.
    Now I'm off for holiday, first stop tomorrow - a typhoon struck beach!

Comments and crits as always appreciated...

Last edited by tensai; August 9th, 2006 at 05:39 PM.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    subarashii no é o kaite imasu ne!! :-)

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19