Art: Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom

*SCROLL DOWN FOR NEW STUFF*

Haven't posted anything in this forum in a long long time. Finally Finished indeed describes this project though, as I worked on this on-and-off over the last several months. The work was originally started to compliment a specially rebound edition of the novel Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. The special edition was a personal project for book artist Kara Sjoblom-Bay, strictly for exhibition and not for resale or profit. Unfortunately, Kara was forced to pull the plug on the project halfway through, but as a huge fan of the book and the authors, I wanted to see my own work through to completion, thus here we are. I hope you dig a few of these…they were a lot of fun to do.
    Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom

Last edited by JeffZNY; February 2nd, 2006 at 11:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Superb narrative! Great, animated stylization as well. Overall, I'm loving it. A few critiques: Great value range and brush work for the most part but a bit of a dodge and burn look is muddying a couple of them up a bit. Also, there are some wonky hands. I'm really enjoying it though. I've corresponded with Douglas Preston and Lincon Child before and a relic concept piece I made a while back. They both seem very enthusiastic and appreciative of others taking the time to pay visual tribute to their work. I'd show them what you're up to if I were you. I bet they’d love it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love how the jaw looks so naturally 'broken' and laying on the floor! wow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really love chapter 53, great movement and color. It also seems very proportionate, and good perspective where some of your other work seems to lack. good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exo - Hey man, thanks a lot. Narrative is very important to me, so it warms my heart that that was the first thing out of your mouth! I actually remember your awesome rendition of the creature from Relic. At the time I'd done a couple portraits of Pendergast and his brother Diogenes, so I too had the pleasure of interacting with the authors. They were even nice enough to send me an excerpt from the novel they were working on to aid me with my portraits. I've sent them a link to these as well, and can't wait to hear what they think! As for the critique, I don't use the dodge and burn tools, but in the past I have been guilty of painting with too many overlay and color dodge layers. The downside of doing these over a period of several months is that the most recent ones are far superior to some of the first that I did. You could probably create a timeline of the order that I completed these simply by looking at them!

Denart - thank you sir!

Culpin - Chapter 53 was the last pic completed, so there's a perfect example of what I was saying to Exo. Glad you dig the stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the border and text looks a little out of place with the rest of the imagery. Everything else looks good though.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff man. at first when i was reading your initial comment and my eye was glancing at the artwork i thought the first frame was a close up of an eye... i then noticed it was not.. interesting...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Call of Cthulhu

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I've got some new finished work to share. Been sitting on it for a couple months and now got the okay from Fantasy Flight to post it. These are 3 card illustrations that were done for Call of Cthulhu. At the time I was working on these, the set was called "Lost Cities," but I believe they've changed it to "Forgotten Cities" now. I actually know for sure that one of these was rejected, but I'm hopeful that the other two will see publication in February. If nothing else, I hope some ppl dig them!
    Starry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottomStarry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottomStarry Nite (valentine's portrait), *new stuff at bottom

Oh, and for good measure, here's a CHOW that I was happy with...

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the Hoover one. Nice 'n creepy.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like 32 the best and Agree with Den. Hehe. That monkey got Delt with. heh.

-JtJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tristan - Wow, it's an honor. Thanks for commenting...The Hoover one is my favorite of the 3 as well, though there are a lot of small details that I wish I'd more time to focus on...like his funky hand.

Josh - Also an honor...I'm glad you liked the Relic stuff.

Thanks also to Jedmo and Vigo, who I should've thanked before posting my new stuff, d'oh!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff. it's nice to see that once you get an idea stuck in your head, you gollow through. I imagine these sequenced illustrations would be a great touch to your portfolio.

Oh, and by the way, show us your Cthulhu already. No more of this showing-only-part-of-it crap. We want to see the whole thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Exo...I'll show you my Cthulhu if you show me yours.
    -----------------
    So I've tried and failed to get some crits on this in my sketchbook, so I'm posting here in hopes I'll have a bit more success. I'm planning this portrait as a gift for my girl on valentine's day. Thankfully she doesn't check the forums, so I don't have to worry about spoiling the surprise. I'm planning on getting a big poster-size print through cafepress, but I thought I'd see if CA had any thoughts first. So crit away, please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you use a ref? can you postit so we can see? it might help in critting this piece, so far i think its very good

Bovis est!

Leeroy (n.) - 1: One who does not grasp the concept of caution; 2: One who likes chicken; 3: One whose battle cry consists of their own name.

Sketchbook, click it or you'll hear from me 'till who laid the rails!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pay attention to your negitive space. It's the space around your objects, behind them. Try to paint that space, play with it. It works best with a push and pull of light especially right where is visually touches your object. The push and pull of this space wakes up your piece, adds dimension (your works read flat), and creates an interest to the eye. You can actually say a lot with negitive space which informs your positive space, needing not to have to paint everything in detail or light.

~M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great for mood pieces... some anatomy concerns in the older stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.