Art: Eye Balls

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Eye Balls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eye Balls

Hey Everyone,

I've just recently got into sculpting. I cant believe Its taken me so long to discover. I'm having so much fun and cant seem to put the clay down....anyway, my first sculpt was a dog/panther/human type creature that I had sketched years ago. Since the eyes were relatively small and dark, I had no problems there. However, my second sculpt is a larger scale and i would like more detail in the eyes. I've looked around for tutorials, but i havent had much luck. How do most of you go about sculpting/painting larger eye balls. The look I'm going for is a more human type eye with the iris, pupil, etc. They are about the size of a Jawbreaker/Gumball/King Croaker. Any help would be great

Thanks

Oh, and everyones work that they display on this site is mind blowing. Just looking at what everyone else is sculpting gets me even more excited to work on mine....even if they do put mine to shame

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you thought about using glass eyes??? There are a couple companies that I know about.

They have a great selection of eyes for human, bird, reptile, fish, mammal, etc..try www.tohickonglasseyes.com and www.kl-glasaugen.de
    Between the two you can get just about anything you need.

For sculpting the eyes, I have seen half-circle push molds that have various sizes in craft stores.
    (http://www.angelfire.com/co/dollmake...lleyesexp.html.)

To size my eye sockets, I usually use a coin since they vary in size. All I can say about painting them is good luck. I hate trying to paint eyes. You might be able to use a sharpie for the pupil....I imagine that would work.

Anyway, Good luck!! Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is something that I've done on some sculpts. Go to a hardware store and purchase an acrylik dowl rod and a wooden dowl rod of the same size.Cut a small peice of the acrylik rod, about 3/8" long and super glue it to the wooden dowl. The wooden dowl should be cut down to about six inches long. Put the wooden dowl in a drill and lock it in. Turn on the drill and as the drill spins you can shape the acrylik with a small piece of sandpaper. When you get the shape that you want, put some toothpaste on a cotton ball and use it to smooth the scratches left buy the sandpaper. Once the surface of the "eye" is clear you can snap the eye off of the wooden dowl and clean the flat side. The flat side can be painted with the design that you want. After your sculpture is baked you can put the eye in the socket and sculpt the eye lid with a two part plumbers epoxy. Now your sculpt with it's homemade "glass" eye is ready for the finishing paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could make a press mold yourself.
    Just press a ball of the correct size halfway into some sculpey.
    Bake it.
    Now add some release agent to the mould.
    You could use talkum powder if you intend to press sculpey into the holes.
    If you want something transparent you could probably wax it (or use a real release agent) and pour some clear epoxie, urethane or polyester into the holes insted.

If you plan on making a lot of eyes then maybe you should buy some silicon for the mould instead as you wont need a release agent if you do so(in it wont be as fragile as a sculpey mould either).

There ar some clay like silicones that you blend and that hardens in around 5 to 15 minutes.

Smooth-On has one such product.

It's relly usefull for making stamps as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solitaryman thanks for the great "eyeball" links , iv'e been searching all over to use in my lifesize concrete sculps see (concept 3d and sculpture section)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.