Art: Female Cossack/Belly Dancing Warrior [REVISED]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Dutton Guest

Female Cossack/Belly Dancing Warrior [REVISED]

(edit: revisions in original post)

Hi everyone!

I've been browsing these boards a while and am finally posting for the first time.

I've recently started using Painter IX and the following is my first serious attempt at a digital illustration, based on an oil painting I started around five years ago.

A little about myself: I was a freelance illustrator based in the Bay Area, CA for two years before outside circumstances led to a near three-year hiatus. Needless to say, I'm dying to make a comeback and before the end of the year I hope to have a completely revamped portfolio! For now, here's one piece (open to constructive criticism, of course. I was never one for formal introductions anyway):

I have a lot more of my old stuff on file, but it's... well... old. No website up either, but feel free to contact me if you want to see more.

I'm a huge fan of Conceptart.org and its boards and hope to meet as many interesting and inspired artists here as I can.

-Mike

Last edited by Dutton; October 26th, 2005 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Posting revised version of image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa..I'm the first. Probably not the best person to introduce you to CA.org, but welcome! It's a great forum with so many talented, hard working, intelligent folks you'll forget your real friends and just hang out online all day Well, maybe...but it is a great place.

I think we'd all love to see more. You can post right in this thread. The bellydancer looks great...I especially like her arms. Her face does look a little manly...like conan with lipstick. Maybe make her nose less bulbous, and soften her jaw. I dunno...just suggestions. I guess she is a warrior too, so maybe all the killing has hardened her face All that aside..if this is one of your first Painter digital-paints...pfff...you got nothing to worry about. You are rockin!

last but not least...it's great to hear you are coming back into illustration after the hiatus. I know all about that thing called a hiatus...they can be a bitch. If you are here, and saying you are dying to get back into it - I believe there is something in you that's not gonna let you sleep unless you do make a comeback. That's the best way to be...cheers

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dang. this is great. my only crit is i don't think there should be the shadow on her left shoulder. the shadow from her breasts and knife indicate a lightsource that would not shadow that area of her shoulder. welcome to CA. hope to see you around often...this is an excellent contribution to the community

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is looking pretty rad, but it looks unfinished. It seems like it could use another pass of highlights, and some more attention paid to certain areas to make them look a little less amorphous and unresolved. -what sticks out the most to me would be the hair and the red skirt. It'd be nice to see a little more contrast of soft and hard edges in the hair to add more definition and volume. As far as the skirt, maybe an edge is folding back and catching some light, or some light is showing through to her right, and hinting at the shadow from the sword handle?

I love the skin tones you've got going, but the form of the leg looks like it's losing dimension, particularyl around the knee and shin. I'm really liking the torso and arms. -Good stuff.

Welcome to CA, and I hope your comeback entails lots more for us to see!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome, Dutton....She looks more Kurgan than Cossack. But it's a good image and a welcome addition. Awaiting more work from you.

Banner Art, courtesy of Mike Phillips.
    http://www.mikephillips.ca/

My Website
    http://e-nexusone.com/
    Where Entertainment and Enlightenment meet.

The Voodoo Brothers
    http://www.thevoodoobrothers.com/

Blues/Psychedlic rock at its best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it a lot. I think the face could use more detail. It's a great expression she has, but now it should be emphasized more. Great skin tones!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looks great!
    the chains hanging across her stomach aren't quite working though...
    just get rid of them... you dont need 'em.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think we have another ringer!!! Welcome to CA... Ds's advice was a good one... i like the way you handle the leg and skirt...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really really like this piece. It feels very solid, nice style and attitude. Two criticisms I have are there seems to be something a little off with one of her legs, it may be a perspective thing. And a little more variation in color, less white for highlights and in the background. The white back there is a little distracting. It's obvious you know what you're doing, and you're still getting used to painter, and doing a pretty fine job with it. I really can't wait to see more, so keep on postin!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet stuff!
    Perhaps her knee could use some work, and the background seems a bit weak, some kind of strong visual pattern or more intersting colors would help. if you're trying to make a cossack-ish warrior, you might try referencing real cossack swords/costumes/etc., I've seen some and they don't look like that. but it still kicks ass. something about the costume makes her legs look short, but looking at the proportions I can see that's not really the case.
    she looks slightly crosseyed at first, maybe touch up the eys a bit to clarify that.

keep up the good work, I'm lookin for more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome painting! welcome to CA. beautiful piece... the only thing that looked a little odd to me is here eyes.. almost looks like they are slightly looking in different directions...maybe its just the overhanging hair that is throwing it off for me... other wise - very cool! thanks for sharing

Mike

Mike Phillips
    www.mikephillips.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha ha, I can't stop looking at this, we need to see more! BRING IT ON!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good first post, arent her breasts a bit to high?

As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
    - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strip

Dutton Guest
    Hi everyone,
    Wow thanks for all the responses and feedback!

loomer - I agree about the face and it's been something of an ongoing evolution. The strange thing is when you zoom in on the face, it softens quite a bit. I'm not sure at this point if it's the resolution tightening up when you zoom out that's making her look masculine or if that's really what she looks like from far away. I'd post a close-up but the face is currently being reworked... and most women (warriors included) don't wish to be seen without their makeup done.
    Also, thanks for that last paragraph.
    While we're on the face, Magicgoo and DV8 - my girlfriend commented on the lack of detail and crossed eyes as well; it's definitely being addressed. I should note that I prefer a loose/painterly style (who doesn't?), but in this case there are so many other areas painted in such detail that the face has no choice but to join in. I'll post a close-up along with the reworked version when I'm done.
    Subpablo - Good point. I'm reworking the hair and the skirt is also being touched up, but I don't want too many hard edges there; the red, to me, is already attracting enough attention.
    ApolloNuevo - Fixed it right away, thanks for pointing that out! The shadow came from the reference; her hair was blowing in the other direction, creating a cast shadow on her shoulder.
    DS and Vigo - I'm on the fence on that one, but I'll give it a shot. This sounds nuts, but for how little it covers up her skin, that was my intent in putting the chains there. Obviously not working. (Btw, DS, your portfolio rocks).
    Capprotti - Thanks. hehe. I'll be sure to post more in the near future. About the highlights and color variation: again, it's probably the posting resolution on the jpeg, but the actual TIFF doesn't have any white highlights. I agree there can be some more color variety in certain areas though and yes, the white in the background should get toned down.
    Brutillus - I have no idea why I put down 'cossack' to be honest with you. Until I posted this, the filename has been "Gypsy Warrior." Yet there's nothing gypsy-ish about her either. The costume above the knees is based on belly dancers I photographed years ago. But her face (before its many subsequent incarnations) was loosely based on someone I thought resembled a gypsy-type woman- thus the gypsy name. The boots reminded me of something you'd see on a cossack, thus the cossack in the subject heading. There ya have it; I guess I tend to associate things in the most random ways.... like anytime I tell a story to my girlfriend about anything that happened to me twenty-plus years ago, I start it off by singing "When I was a young warthog." See what I mean?
    Anyway, the leg does need more work, including the knee area.
    MrozeArt - We'll say the armor is pushing them up. She wouldn't let me near enough with the measuring tape to make sure though.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me detailed feedback and encouragement. I miss this from my art school days, even if I must admit it's going to take a little getting used to! I have a tendency to try and please everyone, but sometimes, as you all know, one has to know when to say 'Enough's enough', or put a painting away for a while before looking at it again. The Cossack Belly Dancer who's not really a cossack is getting to be one of them, but hopefully she'll be done and reposted by tonight or tomorrow, then it's on to my other projects. Thanks again guys!

-MD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutton
    I have a tendency to try and please everyone, but sometimes, as you all know, one has to know when to say 'Enough's enough', or put a painting away for a while before looking at it again.
    That's true, m8, but remember one of the most important rules (imho) - it's most important to try to please Yourself when You create - only then You will be creating cool thing.

As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
    - Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strip

Dutton Guest
    I ended up pretty much reworking the entire thing but I sure am glad that I did. Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.