Thanks

Gouache "Fixative"

I'm just starting to play around with gouache and wondering if anyone out there knows of a 'fixative' that you can use with it? Obviously if the painting gets wet after it is finished, it will just go back into solution and become a mess. It would be great if there was a fixative that you could get much like you can for pencil/charcoal.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Although you can seal a gouache painting with any non-waterbased varnish or spray, it's not recommended. Because the paint surface is porous, a heavy enough coat to render it waterproof would also saturate the colors, changing the value relationships. Also, even "non-yellowing" resins will yellow to some extent over time, and would be difficult if not impossible to remove at a later date. Some illustrators will start a piece with watercolor or gouache, seal it with a heavy coat of Crystal Clear, and finish in oils, but this is for pieces who's primary purpose is reproduction.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Pebeo sells a range of gouache varnishes that you should look at. There "superfine" brand is a spray which is easier to use and won't risk brushing the paint.
    http://www.pebeo.com/asp/prod/fiche.asp?lang=us&id=38

Lascaux makes a fixative especially for gouache that is also in aerosol.
    http://www.lascaux.ch/english/malhil...ke_fixativ.htm

Both of these use acrylic resins which are the non-yellowing type, but can cause the color shift that Elwell mentions if used heavily, especially in the lighter yellows.

Conservationists often repair flaking gouache paintings with a mist spray of deluted fish gelatin, or methocel which is made from processed seaweed.

-DBC
    [Edit: Also, if the caution of water damage concerns you, look into casein paint. It handles much like gouache, but dries to a water resistent surface. It can still be damaged by water, but not nearly as easily.]

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys, greatly appreciated! At this stage only starting out, any information is helpful and I suppose the way gouache goes back into solution is one of its weak points (otherwise I think it has the best elements of oils and acrylics for the way that I like to work).

Its not that I intend to stand out in the rain with gouache paintings but just thinking if I send them overseas to friends and the delivery service is ordinary, they could very easily be damaged.

Thanks
    There's also acrylic gouache, by the way. If you're not already familiar with it, it's essentially acrylic paint made to look matte and is water-resistant. I've tried Holbien's Acryla and it's okay, but still looks too plastic for my taste. You can achieve the same effect by just adding a bit of matte medium to regular gouache.

-DBC

Thanks
    Speaking of gouache, I'm embarassed a bti to say, but I don't even know what it is. But I see everyone saying they have so much fun with it, so I bought the primary colors in gouache yesterday but have no idea in the least what to do. Poise told me that it's used with water, but is chalk-based so it won't soak into the paper, but rather stay up top. Are there any tutorials on this site about messing with gouache?
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    You can read a bit of the history of the medium here:
    http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt7.html

or here:
    http://www.artsupply.com/winsornewton/gouache%20nfo.pdf

Essentially it's watercolor with a higher concentration of pigment. It will be absorbed by paper like watercolor, just to a lesser degree. The one thing to remember is gum arabic is always active. Place a drop of water on a year old gouache and it starts flowing again. Same advice to layering paint; paint on top another dry layer and the layers mix, but you can go opaque on a thin layer. I believe working small is the best way to go since the paint dries so fast and doesn't flow all that well.

One of the best ways I know to work with it is to keep your marks rather short, instead of trying to blend a large area of paint like you would with other mediums. It helps in working with how quickly it dries. Do your mixing on the palette beforehand, and paint in a more direct method. You might find it easy start off with underlayers of watercolor or gouache thinned with gum arabic.

I don't know of any good demo sites, unfortunately. I think there was a nice portrait example done here, though; try a search in tutorials.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dbclemons For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dbclemons - thanks for all that great info, was good to get a bit of a history and will have to be on the look out for the acrylic version.