Best Career Ever.....No Seriously.....

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best Career Ever.....No Seriously.....

Bear with me a little....

Today was grocery day. So my roommate and I drove to the various malls and to downtown Toronto to get some shopping done. He asked if we should go anywhere to "explore" since we're having a term break next week and our workload is 'light'. So I said why not, so we planned to hit a modelling kit store after shopping.

While we're out, we stopped for lunch. My roommate hails from China...I'm from Singapore....both nations have much in common and we usually talk about politics during mealtimes. So the topic veered from politics, to science, to history and warfare and back to politics again.

After shopping we went to the model kit store. Looked around, marvelled at armoured vehicles and bought nothing....then we drove home and talked about more politics along the way.

We got home, unloaded our groceries into the fridge decided not to have dinner coz of our late and heavy lunch....then proceeded to do our own stuff. That's when I went thru the magazines I bought, and haven't had the chance to finish them. AirForces Monthly, Discover, National Geographic (I didn't buy it), Scientific American and Pop Sci.....

Took an hour or so to skim thru the articles that caught my eyes. Totally felt my horizon broadened by two folds. Napped for 15 mins, woke up, had a malted drink mix, went back to the mags and skimmed thru yet more of the shorter articles and updates.

Finally I came back onto my PC and went into Yahoo News, read up the latest soccer scores (damn tottenham FC) and read yet more news around the world......latest developments here and there. There's a PDF copy of the UN report on how Syria was involved in the assassination of Lebanese politician Hariri that I haven't read yet....and tonnes of other information to sift thru.

Then it hit me.....

I have chosen the best possible career for me.

I've always wanted to be an artist...or a scientist. At 16 I decided I hated math (funnily I never studied but still got a B+ in my national high school scores...highest grade for all the subjects tested, but I spent the least time on it) so the other option was to be an artist.

I remember at 17, I took a "year off" because I felt I wasn't ready for further schooling. It was a time when most of my relatives and family friends despised me because I basically did nothing much but hung out at home. True I had no idea what I wanted to do, coz the ID program I applied for didn't accept my application. I just moped around the house, having an idea what I want to do, but not knowing the direction I should go into.

My aunt (may her rest in peace) had a talk with me and asked me what I wanted to do....I said I wanted nothing more than to draw for a living. So she told me.....if you want to create something for the mass market, maybe you should consider furthering your education so you can create something believeable and acceptable by your audience.

Then it hit me.

I've always been a curious kid. Breaking things apart to find out how they work. Always reading (good habit to pick up as a kid) to find out new things that most people would otherwise not be bothered with. At maybe 12, I was self taught in Evolution...although I have a slight idea how things work, it wasn't until I was much older then I understood what it meant.

Information gathering, the quest to further arm myself with knowledge is a lifelong interest in my life. I realized I never stopped reading and everyday I add on more knowledge and build upon what I already knew. Although after going onto forums and in the case of CA, interacting with other artists, I realized I've still got a long way to go. But I'm building on it and gaining more each day as it goes by.

But the biggest thing of my life however, wasn't simply learning. Heck it wasn't even drawing - although drawing is somewhat like meditation to me.

The biggest interest of my life, is to synthesize information and generate new ideas.

And what better way to do that than become an artist?

Think of it.

While the scientists are specialized....artists can pick up the research and studies they produce....and recombine it with other ideas via the use of our imagination.

While engineers wreck their brains and creativity to make things work.....we only need to understand the laws of it, and the rest is once again, up to our imagination.

While the world is limited by the things they see that's placed in front of them, we artists use the things we've seen, with the knowledge we have, and use our imagination to recombine, synthesize and create new worlds that the entire human race could dream of, but never visualize.

Being an artist means I get to touch every, single, subject that I can lay my hands on, because I need them to help associate, synthesize, recreate, recombine and produce the art that would hopefully captivate the audience. It means I get to do what I love to do....to read, to learn, and then after digesting the information....to imagine and add a little bit of dream and impossibility to it.

When we read Bill Watterson's comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes", we realize, artists are all like Calvin.....we create worlds in our head.

What other job out there allows you to do that? And pays you for it?

Well that and the fact I get to see naked people in life drawing.

But heck, its the best career in the world.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to darth massacre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that...

was a bit...

close to home.

Good post.
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    shit, I just baked some macaroons on a whim earlier and somehow to me this relates. Nice going everyone, ass pats all around.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn straight.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That should be the foreward to the artist's manifesto

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you synthesized my thoughts in written form....now draw a picture jerry...draw a picture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel sorry for all those other people!

Me? I wake up at 7:30am. Roll outta bed, putta a coffee, scratch my butt, put on Dragon Ball episode 200 something, and get to work (I work freelance art from home ). Until Midnight, I work. But I also play Mario Golf, put on a couple Tarentino movies, work a little, take a nap, work some more. I have the best job in the world.

YESSS!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, this makes me seriously look forward to pursuing the art career, thanks for the motivation boost, massacre.

P.S. Tottenham rule.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you realise that sculpture, fine art work, model making, maquette creation and all the mediums under the sun are there for you to learn...you will feel a little bit intimidated, a little bit scared and a whole lot excited.

I pity those in jobs they hate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this was really good, my opinion would be the same as the ones already given, some my "extra imput" would be:

To love your job, you have to make a choice about your function in society, if you dont make that choice, society will choose for you, ergo you will regret not having that choice, and you will hate every concecuence of that chain of reactions people call life.

So the truth is, we cant really say all the other jobs are less that the one we choose to have, is just that being an artist is still a semi-taboo, you wont get peer presute to make that choice, is even a hard one to make in most cases, becuase most people around your circle will label you in a negative way (untill you prove them is actually a job XD)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we should all find a way to integrate sex and food into this job. That would raise it from "awesome career" to "perfect".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ride the razors edge of science and jump forward into the unknown.

Sounds good to me!

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been practicing so hard the last 6 months I think I may honestly be developing carpal tunnel. I MUST have this job.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.