• Wreckage from massive spaceship, overgrown by jungle.
• Airborne weather control station (exterior).
• Floating playhouse. On the sea or in the air, your call.
• Arcology. (See here.)
• Techno-organic apartment.
• Body modification chamber.
• Domed asteroid world. No artificial gravity!
• Inhabited desert cave.
• Narrow market street in future city.
• Undiscovered hatch from Lost (interior). Keep to the late-60s/70s look!
• Graveyard for holograms.
• Alien archeological dig site.
• Azteco-Buddhist temple.
• Monolith towering over modern harbour.
A massive, massive library belonging to some ancient, long-dead race of large humanoids. The library is a tall cylinder-shape, with a large machine suspended in the middle. The machine has appendages to select books and bring them to the 'cockpit' where they can be read.
One thing I've always wanted to see is an airship harbor. I have trouble deciding exactly what it would look like. A forest of mooring masts? A series of rooftop platforms? an immense landing field? An airborn city itself? There's a lot of possibilities.
A Modern Atlantis: a modern city (real or imagined) sinking beneath the waves, like mythic Atlantis. this could be as it sinks, shortly after or many years after when the sunken city is in ruins or being reclaimed. but the city itself should be as you'd see today, even if you have futuristic tech mixed in with reclaiming the sunken city.
A few EOW's a go there was one called Tunnel City, These were my orignal thoughts on the matter, but I couldn't emphasis the tunnel theme enough. I have thought about it on and off ever since but never put pen to paper. I thought I would post it here.
The ancient wreckage of a giant airship or spacecraft half buried in the gorund of a harsh winter planet. The inside of it was collonised by the survivors an is now a makeshift metropolis. Many years later the survivors are the inhabitants of the planet, making there way & thriving in what ever way they can. They have made use of the indigenous species of the planet useing some for transport, beasts of burden and others for food.
1. show the undesireable conditions of the planet
2. give an impression of the scale of the original craft
3. show the use of the indigenous creatures
4. Avoid as much as possible making it look like Hoth!
(the real challenge)
ah I wish when you started looking at new topics that you would flip through the list of old ones. the waterfall city has been done...and beautitfully too.
most of these suggestionas are pretty generic.
I try to avoid scenes as in "apocalyotuc battle over fairytale castle" although that would be kinda fun now that I think of it. I have been trying to choose topics that fit into one of two catagories..
1. settings for action to take place. like a stage set...
2. actual scenes from existing stories.
so dear Darthnadar--- please do some research... see what's been done and see what's been suggested...
To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
How about... Secret Pirate Cove. It's basically an island cove that is hidden from ships passing by. Pirates use this cove as a safe haven from any warships looking to capture bucaneers. It also serves as a place to scrape off barnacles from underside of ships, without being seen by passing ships that might take advantage of their immobility.