Official Chow Suggestion Thread -archived

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Official Chow Suggestion Thread -archived

Okay, we need fodder. Post your topic ideas here.
    ---------
    PLEASE READ

-=ON CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS=-

There is no hard and set rule here, but there are some things to keep in mind.

A character is an individual. This means that we are dealing with a specific person or creature, whatever it is. You can get as detailed as you want, or as vague as you want. But something individual, something unique, has to show through for your description to be a true character.

Unrelated words strung together do not a character make.

Character descriptions will vary greatly. They will at times be in depth. They will at times include a little bit of back story. And, they will at times be very, very brief. Below are three examples of character descriptions that stand a good chance of being accepted:

• EXAMPLE 1: The Lizardman. This character is a member of a jungle tribe, and a member of the priesthood. This character holds a fair amount of authority and has a lot of presence in public, and as such must be dressed according to ceremonial ritual. The temple he is a member of is the Temple del Sol - Temple of the Sun. His design must reflect his affinity with the bringer of life, the giver of light. He should be armed, but not heavily.
    • EXAMPLE 2: Commodore Billipickfinster has just been ordered to take his Airship fleet and use their atomics to sterilize the Koochi-koochi invasion... by destroying his home city, where his family is trapped.
    • EXAMPLE 2: Fred is an angry teddybear

In presenting your ideas, anything that gets the sense of a *character* across, stands a good chance of being used. The more characterized, the more personality you pick up from the description, regardless of how many words you use, the better.

A good suggestion is to start with a name....

GENERAL COMMENTS, AND DISCUSSION CAN BE DIRECTED HERE

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by S.C. Watson; February 2nd, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The Bölk, ketian droning warriors, follows orders, no reproductive organs, three external lungs protected by exoskeleton, carries 3 weapons:
    close range- a parasitic organism known as "Klk" that shoots poison
    A retro technology revolver, looks similar to a revolver but shoots obsidian bullets
    A "B.A.R." - not really a browning automatic rifle but baptized like that by human soldiers since it has a similar strategic use. It's an alien weapon only similar to a BAR in that it's a specialized "rifle"

it's a species that adapts fast to the newest threat, adapted to use human weaponry and vehicles in two generations, so it's human like in stance and general shape. That's where the similarities end. Scientist predict an almost identical replication of humans will occur in 4 generations, once this is achieved, scientists plan on destroying them using the diferent types of virus.

No eyes, but a series of chemical and motion detecting organs are distributed on key points of the skin.

Connected to a central intelligence, they collect data and send it back and then receive new instructions, all intelligent processes are conducted outside of them. They serve a purpose similar to ant warriors. Both the retro revolver and the BAR are the central intelligence's interpretation of human weapons.

Humanoid

Thanks
    clockwork collosus- a massive, intricate, and powerful automaton. Built by a race of long dead astronauts and left on a desolate moon.

keywords- enigmatic, intricate, massive

transhuman- with advent of genetic manipulation, humans have changed themselves to varying extremes. Design a human who's natural environment is now the vaccuum of space. They are mechanics, pilots, and rescuers.

think what a human would need to survive in space, make it realistic

keywords- human, but not human.

single mother- Lucy works two jobs, assembly line worker, and stripper. She hates both, but needs the money to support her child. Her husband died years ago. She was recently confronted at the strip joint she works at and asked to have sex for money. She doesnt want to, but the extra money would mean she could leave her assembly line job and spend more time with her daughter, who is growing up in daycare.

keywords- strained, tired, sorrow

fisherman- a stolid new england fisherman from Rhode island. Born and bred there. catches lobster, clams and crabs. Likes to get drunk on Narragansett beer. has a mean streak.

keywords- working class, dirty and smelly job.

Mike

Last edited by nephilim; October 22nd, 2005 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks
    scumgrinder - I really like your idea here, but I think it's a little too generalized. As it's written, it's more of a COW with weapons - Not a bad thing! I actually like it. But as for a character, I was more interested in the source of the hive mind - the conscience behind the the hordes - what motivates that?

It may work, though.

Nephilim - those are great!

~Oreg.

Last edited by S.C. Watson; October 22nd, 2005 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    it's pretty funny watching you two edit posts over and over again.

Thanks
    wtf, now i look real cool.

Thanks
    Meh, this thread needs filling up a bit so here goes, ditch as many as you want:

° Real Life Chess set:
    In ancient Rome gladiators fought solo, this different form of entertainement exists of 16 vs 16 battles...
    --> design one basic unit (pawn)
    --> other 5 units (king,queen,counseler,bishop,rook) have different armor and weapons, design those too (copy paste your basic units and draw over it, or seperate designs for armor/weapons, basic unit should be same anyways)
    , a bit like this image by Mike Corriero

° 007 disguised as a Jehova's witness (or something else thats not really expected) (don't forget the gadgets he got from Q)
    ° Exorcist Preparing to do his job
    ° Girl possessed by devil
    ° Blacksmith forging the kings sword
    ° Roland the gunslinger (from Dark Tower series by Stephen King):
    --> Cowboy, living in a postapocalyptic world
    ° bride of dracula
    ° white mage
    ° angel of death
    ° grim reaper
    ° general to lucifers army/admiral to lucifers fleet/...
    ° Person with nickname after a herb
    ° Depressed empoyee getting ready for a boring job on a dull monday morning
    ° Shapeshifter, halfway through his morph from human to whatever his shifted form is (example: werewolf, busy transforming)
    ° Knight on his way back from one of the crusades

Last edited by BrainBug; October 22nd, 2005 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Most of these are a bit daft, but could be fun...

-Bored dominatrix waiting for the next trick... reluctantly.
    -Slightly iritating computer games programmer with a fixation on medieval roleplaying.
    -Canteen lady on the Death Star, just been told off by Darth Vader for serving Lasagne YET again!
    -A completely usless cowboy gunfighter, who thinks he's the top dog.
    -An evil scarecrow.
    -A space rocket petrol station (gas) attendant, or a geeky kid working in a 12th century fast-food joint.

Thanks
    Posh, they may be daft, but they had me laughing

Thanks
    captain of a war blimp
    a 16th century english witch
    an 18th century doctor who knows what he's doing but has to make his own instruments because all other doctors think he's mad
    a futuristic corporate assassin
    the king of the universe
    the giant that created the world
    a street pedlar
    devil's blacksmith
    maintenance crew on an imperial star destroyer.
    asteroid miner
    futuristic organ grinder and pet
    space gypsy
    charioteer in a year 3000 olympics
    dragon master (basically looks after the stables)
    time slicing monk
    fisherman on jupiter's moon Europa
    an army grunt on a planet with no atmosphere
    cat burglar
    a fortieth generation video game champion and all the natural selection that would entail if you were killed if you lost.
    greatest hunter in the galaxy
    19th century engineer who has decided to build a rocket to the moon

Thanks

Post My humble Topics..

Topic Idea # 1 - Alien Plumber - from outer space, the only the one representant of multiversum working class. The alien plumber, always with 'All-Tools-In-One-Machine' in his hand, always smoke his last cigarette, and always wear the same striped dirty clothes. Mood: Get out of here, I Work here...

Topic Idea # 1 - Demonic Vindicator (Tenant) - from the deepest vaults & burrows of the hell, this one demon is the most cruel of all. In stylish suit, with golden Pen he with laugh take all thing from humans with & withous debts, to cause havoc and terror in mortal world. Mood: Demonic Smile.

Topic Idea # 1 - The Black Summoner- a person without face, who search minions in the other dimensions, captivate demons, horror and nightmares to serve his cruel plans. He wear dark, used robe with a lot of mystic symbols... Mood: A little Fishy.

-- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Thanks
    Holloween topic
    The pumpkin man

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks
    MC of the future

Tall, elongated limbs, this MC is a future rap superstar.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    (From the old thread)

Chubby Milkman
    Seedy Merchant
    Flower Lover
    Ancient Astronaut
    Angry Teddybear
    Rocketman
    Psychic Vampire
    Cuddly Satan

(New suggestions...)

MTV Brat
    Scared Scarecrow
    Superhero Demon
    Trashcan Rummager
    Big-Fingered Sleezeball
    Melonhead
    Arabian Sultan
    Genie of the Electrical Lamp
    Evil Ice Cream man
    Plastic Woman

Maybe more later....

-Dusty

Thanks
    Don't know how many of you have read "When the Wind Blows" by James Patterson, but the main character is great: Max (short for Maximum), eleven year old girl who was genetically designed with six limbs: four regular, and wings! She has long, silver blond hair, white-blue wings. She hates her lab name: Tinkerbell. She is strong for her age, witty, extremely smart and scared, running for her life away from the dreaded "School". Yes, she can fly, and darn well too!

Thanks
    God of insanity
    Cultist of the sun
    The greatest artist in the world
    Monkey overlord
    Undead emperor
    vampire hunter
    one of the seven deadly sins personified
    serial killer

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Baby in space...

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks

ideas?

How about time tourist? - an inquisitive chap who gets his jollies by nipping back to ancient times to scare the willies out of the primitives or impersonating dieties and generally making a mess of space/time?

Biological weapons inspector - it's a bit topical, but I'd love to see the protective suits/detection devices people came up with. Um, maybe this one's better for IDOW

Cheers,
    Jonathan

www.jonathanstanding.com

See the sights!
    Check out environment of the week - it's top!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Thanks
    present day walkyrie from a parralel dimension:

backstory:
    In a parralel dimension where the vikings have conquered most of the known world and never converted to christianism, the vikings were able to create an empire spanning 1/2 of the world. Norse mythology has carried over into present days as did art etc... The viking states are at war with christian and islam nations.

the walkyries are a type of special unit with the task of taking the bravest soldiers, who have fallen in battle, to a central processing plant called "wallhalla" run by the asgard corporation.

In walhalla the brain of these fallen soldiers gets revived and transplanted into a cybernetically enhanced body, thus creating a group of supersoldiers called "Einherjer". These soldiers are reserved for the most dangerous of tasks.

The walkyries themselves are of the same brand with the slight difference that only female soldiers are chosen to become one of them. Normally they appear wearing the asgard corp heraldic helmet, a kevlar helm with metal wings on it. The wings themselves function as antenna and radar, suited to get detailed statistics about the battle behaviour of the troops as well as a symbol for the strong beliefs of the men fighting at the front.

just something i had floating in my mind for weeks now... think i need to get a break fromdoing so much reenactment recently heheheh

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    what would be the real challenge is to handle a detailed description of the character's behaviour, personality, attitude etc....thats the real challenge, to visualise the right expression, physique etc to let the viewer know as soon as they see the character that he/she is this type of person.

Thanks

Suggest

Conrad was a normal guy commuting to work when the bomb dropped. He woke up hours later dazed and with alterations. Conrad died in the blast, but the radiation transformed him dead alive.

His bottom jaw was blown clean off and his flesh melted like silly putty. The concussion from the blast and lack of necessary flesh also made his eyes pop out from his head and dangle by the optic nerve, but now undead with consciousness altered, he continued on.

Conrad was the messy sort, so his commuter was packed with things in which he could outfit himself. Some items include; jumper cables, a funnel, a tire iron and jack, a small cooler, broken toaster oven.

Every one knows your chances of survival in a post apocalyptic world depend on two things, how well you’re dressed and how cool your car is. Will you help Conrad survive?

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Two from me. I realize these might not be exactly what you're looking for, so I typed down some more concise alternatives as complement.

1 - Disfavored son to a single mother of two (think Doughboy from Boyz n the Hood). What character traits might you develop from growing up without a father and beeing treated as less worth by your mother? Attention seeking? Violent? Introvert? Pleasing? You decide.
    Alt. - Hustling thug from the hood.

2 - Young woman from a wealthy suburbian home with communication problems. Since birth her parents have tried to protect her by putting her in private schools and keeping close track of how she spends her free time. What character traits might she develop? Will she conform to her parents ideal of a good girl or will she rebel and go on to figure life out for her self? What will she become?
    Alt. - Right wing bitch from suburbia.

Thanks
    got another idea from watching a halloween special yesterday:

Horror movie franchise icon:

Think freddy krueger, jason vorhees, michael myers, the scream guy, leatherface, ash, pinhead, chucky etc. A new breed of serial killer/horror movie hero.

He (or she) has to have evrything to create a good horror franchise: some kind of favored weapon, a self explanatory outfit giving a glimpse of his/her background and most of all a certain "tick" (like freddy being associated with that bladed glove or jason being associated with his hockey mask).

Character ideas can go from the cliche chainsaw-wielding psycho in a jumpsuit wearing a hockey mask, to a cute cuddly teddybear hugging 3 year olds to death.

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Shissa is a magic user of the shevass race, a humanoidlike reptilian being. He travels the world of Valan trying to pass unotice for is art is illegal, taking place in secret societies and the underground, but his thirst for knowledge is likely to blow is cover in the long run.

He stands about seven, or so, feet tall. Has Dreadlike hair and he is quite thin. He dresses in the fashion of the regular valanian magic users (who mingles in necromancy, elementalism, conjuration, etc.), which is like most common garb and caries this bag of unmentioned spell components and books. He is intelligent but somewhat shaken by the debilitating effect of spellcrafting, which might take it's toll in all sorts of mental illness, in Shissa's case, he's starting to get a little paranoid.

Neoknocker

Sketches. Crits are welcomed!

CHOW Time!

“I think you do what you’re destined to do, if you follow your heart and you follow your path, then you’ll always be safe with anything that you do, including art.”
    Serj Tankian -singer with System of a Down-

Thanks
    A butcher

(.. and that says it all )

Thanks
    Shane, Ask and ye shall recieve........

Thanks

Lightbulb

As a more open or fun topic, why not 'Create a Super Hero' or 'Create a Super Villan'. You could just leave the topic as open as that and see what wacky entries we get (lord knows what some of you guys can come up with), or you can specify a Alias, super powers, secret identity, weakness, etc. Then again, you could just give a name. Conceptart.org Man, anyone? Perhaps Captain Concept Art?

if it was just left to a name, it would be loads more fun imo, and would leave a lot open for creativity.

Last edited by flatliner; November 3rd, 2005 at 09:20 AM.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Fantasy Human --- Caleb, who was raised by a pack of canines, has trouble trusting his pet cat.

Thanks
    2058AD: John Doe. Age 21. An insane asylum patient who isn't insane. Being drugged and restrained for far too long, his body is thin and frail. His face is worn. He has been institutionalized because he thinks he can see the spirit forces of the living and the dead around him. He can. Even in his current state, he's still attractive.

Thanks
    How about the Phat Pink Ninja. 8)

Except 80s style.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.