Thanks

I have had a beautiful discovery.

Today I was reading and sketching my way through Andrew Loomis’ book “Drawing heads and hands.” I have been drawing for some years now, but about a half year back in time I decided to get a bit more serious about it.
    So I have been reading my way through the fist part of the book and came to the part about planes. I have to say, I have never drawn a head without ref that I have found really realistic or satisfactory. So there I was, reading this part about planes and it seemed to be logical, tried it out and got totally amazed! This stuff actually works and it gives a whole new dimension to my heads.

So the question is; have any of you made any discoveries that totally changed you perspective or blew your mind in art?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The sight-size drawing method taught by the atellier system...you can read about it in Harold Speed's "the Practice & science of drawing" and the Charles Bargue book - It is tedious work, but Im enjoying the process...

We never had this system in Art school and I am getting more and more into learning about the classical methods of training that I wish commercial art schools payed more attention too...

his book on painting "oil painting techniques and materials" is another marvel...
    Last edited by Rascar Capac; October 22nd, 2005 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks
    I'll take a look after that book, see if find it some place.

Thanks
    As I am mostly self taught this is the way that I learn almost all of the time. I'll read some stuff in a book or mess around on my own.. and its like, BAM! You gain insight.. its almost like instant understanding. I always feel so dumb for not realizing those kind of things before, because they seem so obvious. Its fun to go back and re-read books sometimes and see how little you used to understand too. I swear everytime I read an art book the context seems to change because I know more about it.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    I completly agree Some Guy. As for myself I'm selftaught and I have had some of the same experiences. As for the planes i was referring to, I have to say this is so easy and simple and it makes just so much more of a diffrence. I have to say it mostly help me to see the shapes and lay out facial structures and that I think is the point with them.

Thanks
    Reading about Light and how it interacts with form from Anthony Ryder's figure drawing book made me realized some things we've noticed all along but never got the time to sit down and think about. It also improved my rendering.

Thanks
    planes as in the guidlines for the faces eh? yeh it definately help. i figured most people draw like that?..

Thanks

Arrow

Not really blew my mind but did remind me of an ovious thing .

Think it was the Andrew Loomis .. Figure Drawing book ... or maybe one of the other ones ...

Realized that (yeah ovious I know) that we do not see 3-dimensionally .. but that it is allways an illusion in our minds ... the only 3D we see is the little difference there is between the image of our left & right eye .. the rest is plain invisible to us.

Thats why we are still all happy with drawing on a flat piece of paper & stuff like Kurt Wenner's street art work (http://www.kurtwenner.com) .

Sorry I just love it

All those 3D progs are doing lots of calculations that are not gonna make any difference .. yeah like mp3 ... they just contain the sounds that we humans are actually able to hear... make no difference in "hearing"-quality .

blah blah blah .. sorry I always write a lot

Thanks
    I read loomis's book i was totally fixed in the way he approached art
    If you ask how it may have changed my perspective on art one of the pages was titled "try mixing up the races"
    He'd drawn different races like monkeys, overtly stereotyped faces the white people along side all dressed up in suits
    I was like what the fuck
    I know this man grew up back in the day, but i felt that he was a bit of a twat and it just made me not want to read any more of the book
    You learn from studying him the mathmatics and proprtions of stuff like the human body, and then when it focuses in on faces, "the ideal human face" or the "ideal feminine figure" its a bit supremacist
    makes you think how much of it is art, maybe the he just focuses on pleasing certain stupid business people

Thanks
    Color theory. That shizznits the bomb!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Njord-E55
    I'll take a look after that book, see if find it some place.
    You can download the Harold Speed book on-line from Project Gutenberg.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14264

Get the HTML version since it has the pictures. It's an excellent read. I wish they had his Oil Painting book too.

-DBC

Thanks

Icon Signage in Medieval Painting

One of the biggest realizations that ever fell on me like a ton o' brick was the fact that paintings like "The Garden of Earthly Delights" carried explicit picture language that could literally (; no pun intended) be read at one or more levels, and contained varying subtexts, and that not only was this true, but that it was done _by design_

This concept really transfixed me, becaused it moved me from this space where I suspected such might be the case, to this space where I knew that not only were such pieces understood by most of their contemporary viewers, but that they carried different messages for different groups of people.

Because this sort of ''sign painting'' underlies just about every single one of the plastic arts, this represents quite a significant leap in my understanding as a painter of what painting is really trying to accomplish beyond simple visual illusionistic representation.

Enough Rambling Dammit! I'm back. My ''Last Read'' date is something like Nov 2004; I have no idea how I managed to stay away for so long. Guess I got wrapped around the axles of doing paintings, showing, school and other work. I still have no decent scanner on my desk and that don't help...
    ...but that should change soon. Stay tuned!

Twitch
    Death Dances Only With The Living
    My Sketchbook

Thanks

Cool And thanks for the ebook!

DBClemons, you rock. Mightily!

Twitch
    Death Dances Only With The Living
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Well, when I have the time ( or force myself to start ^^) painting i suspect I will have the same "Ahah" experience about colortheory as you jfwalls. I'll wait and see.
    | My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula

Thanks
    When I first read the title I thought you just masterbated for the first time...

Thanks
    I always feel so dumb for not realizing those kind of things before, because they seem so obvious.
    You shouldn't feel that way, although I do too when I read about something so obvious. Projecting proper perspective on a picture plane wasn't discovered until Renaissance. Imagine how stupid they felt?
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    six words....... "Goldfinger" .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Njord-E55
    Today I was reading and sketching my way through Andrew Loomis’ book “Drawing heads and hands.” I have been drawing for some years now, but about a half year back in time I decided to get a bit more serious about it.
    So I have been reading my way through the fist part of the book and came to the part about planes. I have to say, I have never drawn a head without ref that I have found really realistic or satisfactory. So there I was, reading this part about planes and it seemed to be logical, tried it out and got totally amazed! This stuff actually works and it gives a whole new dimension to my heads.

So the question is; have any of you made any discoveries that totally changed you perspective or blew your mind in art?
    The only one that really blew my mind was when I picked up Feng Zhu's dvds and from there, I've sought to pick up every single book that I feel can help me improve my art and since then I have learnt something from every book I have opened.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    When I first read the title I thought you just masterbated for the first time...
    Yeye, kind of fugured out the title sounded like this after I made the topic. Didn't bother changing it, but it made at least one person interested ^^.
    | My Sketchbook |
    |Simplified - My Web Portfolio |

The foot-picture was concived at 3 A.M. during a creative spree...

SSG#15
    InvincibleWombat-Mort-Dead Road 7-Apocalypse_Rex -Njord-E55-Iolarnula