Art: "outsider art" or "art brut"larger than life sculp

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"outsider art" or "art brut"larger than life sculp

This section looks more suited to my stuff.....the guardien is finished with b&w mosaic tiling and black hammerite (has to be seriously weatherproof)

The others could end up the same way but I'd like more ideas..........

if anyone liks it Ive put a step by step photo tutorial together with some explanations, further down the thread..............
    Heres just a couple of clay models I did..........

Last edited by smartink; October 31st, 2005 at 08:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm. I´m in between the question, are they nice and funny or are they very very scary. cause in some point when nice and funny turn into frightening things, clown is probably the most common one.
    but I like your style , it´s kinda vulgar and primitive.

SketchbooK

The Trick Is To Keep Breathing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why do you keep posting the same pictures over and over again? There are like, 5 threads with these pictures in already...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh at last someone who sees it like I'd want it to feel...thank you PERKELE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES but they're in other sections which is not the same audience....I'm just trying to find where I feel most at home ..as has been said in other replies (by moderators) if you don't like it don't look at it ......don't get upset save your replies for CONSTRUCTIVE CRITS on other peoples stuff .....thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi smarty,

on the other threads I didn't see the rider on this ur...horse-like...erm... alien-horse...ridable...animal... anyhow: I like this one

cheers!

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see I might get famous for posting the most threads IN THE ENTIRE WORLD on the same subject ........I never pissed off so many people at the same time
    ( I might use that line as my sig??) Honest guys it was a total beginners mistake pleeeeeeeeeaaaaase forgive me sob sob.
    thank you YODAAH for the compliment I enjoyed doing it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Rat's got a weener! It takes big Kahoona's to do lifesize outdoor sculptures. I've always wanted to try it myself.{ Not that I'm bragging about the size of mine or anything} I love the first "warrior" and the "Archway" Reminds me of the 1930 something King Kong. What are they made of? Looks like concrete over lapwire.
    ----------------rat------------------
    I once knew a man who had four knees.
    A right knee.
    A left knee.
    A high knee.
    and a wee knee.

GROOVY VERY GROOVY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the nice reply,CROSSBONES well yes it's a lot of hard work but it's mega fun and yes it's 2to1 ratio fine sand and cement over what we call chicken wire, i've anothr post in SKETCHES AND WIP called concrete tutorial for madster, if you want to see a bit of how they're started? asi say i'll post the next steps if anyones interested,..........apparently not many people do this, wich is a shame 'cos concrete works allmost like clay as you can keep adding stuff etc...makes for an amusing garden

Last edited by smartink; October 31st, 2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add photo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jack Skellington? Eat your heart out Tim Burten. When I first imagine my sculpts I always see them in my minds eye as lifesize sculptures, but I never thought of using concrete. Your garden is awsome! If you can please post the steps you take in producing one of these. I always wanted a huge lifelike spider for my front yard just to give my neibors something to talk about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"outsider art" or "art brut" larger than life sculp now with start of tutorial

here's a copy of the start of the tutorial
    i think tjis merited a new thread
    FIRST OF ALL DON'T ATTEMPT TO MANIPULATE CEMENT WITH BARE HANDS!!
    I learn't the hard way and there are chemicals in there that seriously burn your skin!!!!! BE WARNED ....2 weeks of agony aaaaahhhh

so rubber gloves for the heavy stuff like the totem and the main stuff on the head and thin latex gloves to do the details, sometimes i take them off to do very fine smoothing etc but not for long and rince well afterwards

you can see at the top of the totem the rubber hose pipe wrapped around the cement drain pipe, it's held in place by wire while i wrap the whole thing with chicken wire, then you pince the chick wire tightly round the hose pipe with adjustable pliers soit makes a smooth spiral, STOP ME IF IT'S BORING...
    then make your cement I use a 2 to1 ratio of FINE SAND to cement ..wait 20 mins to let it start reacting first wet the totem with water then smooooth it on ...push it well thru the wire and smooth it around ...great eh that's the difference between wacom an cement you can feel it........
    anyway, to the head ...heres the beggining ...starts with an old motorcycle helmet (in this case "jet") and the chick wire wrapped round , to fix the wire in place i use long nose pliers to twist the wire together,

as you can see i use polystyrene packing to fill in the empty spaces, then make support for the ears, then put the concrete on

only put the face and what you see of the head on for now you must let that dry for a day otherwise it will just fall off if you turn it over!!!

oh as you see i put the eyes in at the start also held in with the chick wire .. I'll post more if you like it .........

Well some people like it so here' a bit more detail...........

As for the totem, to add more detail first wet the dried concrete, and don't forget your LATEX gloves!!! you can also add detail by mixing a bowl of cement the texture of "whipped cream" and "paint" it onto your piece with a fine paintbrush

Last edited by smartink; October 31st, 2005 at 08:35 AM. Reason: add on to title

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see it comming. My wife is gonna be P*$$ed but I've got to try this. Have you ever tried making a frame out of rebarb? Can your peices be moved once they're done? What do you paint them with? How long do they last? Ever sold any? Ever stubb your toe on a hot asphalt road? Ever seen a horse fly? or a house fly for that matter? Do you need a churn to make peanut butter?

...and YES I do questian everything!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy CROSSBONES thanks for coming back............answers, no iv'e never tried making a frame with rhubarb...........(don't know what rebarb is, being english in france) unless it's this stuff.................

SOME of my stuff can be moved with the aid of one of those upright 2 wheeled trolly things....in french called a DIABLE..........note that I usually make the head separately which like the human head is the heaviest part proportionally, so I move the body in place then put the head on and slap concrete on to hide the join....or not as the case may be, I mean some like the "warrior" the head just sits on top there and can be rotated !! It's heavy enough to stay put even in serious weather.
    The "warrior" is covered with mosaic tiling and the arms are painted with black HAMMERITE, good weatherproof stuff, like the lance with silver HAMMERITE.
    No reason "with a minimum of maintenance" that they should'nt last FOR EVeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr
    never sold any as I've sort of kept them a bit secret until now BUT rather i would sell my services to custom build them in anybody's garden as they wished..
    We very rarely have "HOT" asphalt roads in the north of France
    and as for all things flying I'VE SEEN THE LOT..........
    YOU DON'T need a churn to make peanut butter IF you have a little concrete mixer in your garden.......he he ...(I don't by the way) I mix my cement wiv a shovel voila
    As you can see any questions will be gladly answered ....back to you

Last edited by smartink; October 31st, 2005 at 08:09 AM. Reason: change of image host

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of your photos have dissapeared just like the ones I posted. Never got to see your picture of rebarb, but it's the iron rods that are crossed and tied together to reinforce concrete, like in a side walk. I'm still wondering how much detail you can put in one of these. I'm a BIG detail addict.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that rebarb stuff sounds a bit too "industrial" for this kind of thing, but i do use the steel rods cut to size for "fingers or other detail..........
    you may have noticed i have changed my image host to "yesalbums" wich seems to work better than "photobucket" apart from the lack of auto resizing the images to fit the screen !!! yes i know they're a bit big but it's better than not there at all eh...........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a great free program called Fastone viewer that will resize your photos. You can get it at www.majorgeeks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank's, I can manually resize in "yesalbums" it's just not automatic!!!
    do you know what the best size is (in pixels) of course???? I'll try this "detail update"

Ahh found it 800x600.......ok forget that question

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.