Thanks

Talking Finding time and energy to draw

Once upon a time, I had time to draw. Back before I went to college I drew all the freaking time 'for me', and while I was in college I drew all the freaking time because it was assigned, and I had to (50+ pages of sketchbook assignments per week, plus any prep stuff for other classes....)

Now I'm done with school, and I work for a living. I'm even an artist for a living, a 3D artist mind you, but the word "artist" IS in my job title.

But I NEVER have time to draw anymore. Seriously - never. I mean, I could probably draw when I'm off work in the evenings, but drawing usually involves not spending time with my husband (basically ignoring him) and he gets all mopey about that since we've both been at work all day. And even when that's not an issue, when I get home after work, I'm usually too freaking exhausted to bring myself to do it anyways. And on the weekends I usually end up playing WoWarcraft the entire time - heh...

But then I come on here and browse the forums and I'm all like 'Gah! I wanna draw more' but I don't...

Anyone else get that?
    I miss drawing. haha.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ditch the game.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    i miss painting which is funny b/c i was exactly the same as you in college. after so many painting classes of having to pump out "brilliant work" every single week, i thought i would never want to pick up a brush again. now im all looking at my blank easel and wimpering over it. hahaha.

i totally feel you. i dont have much free time b/c of working too (except my work right now isnt even creative work...so by the end of the day i feel like any bit of creativity within me has been drained by the monotony of my daily activities). I remember the first art project i did "just for me" after graduting. it was very liberating. could take as long as i wanted on it, no rules or guidelines, no restrictions.

im gonna try to start a new work soon. i find that just like anything, starting it is the hardest part. once you are involved in it, its so fluid. maybe you need to push yourself a little bit to get started. i know its what i have to do...
    [--Heather
    -----------------------------------------
    please visit my WEBSITE

Thanks
    Yeah, ditch WoW.. I know I just did.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    There is always time. If Android can work at Massive Black, run workshops and forums, have a girlfriend and friends... And still have time to do his self portrait a day, along with thunderdomes than no one can really say they have no time for drawing. The time is always there, you just have to realize it.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I hear you and understand. When I hear someone talking about wishing they had more time for art I know exactly what they are saying.

Myself, married with 2 children at home. A job,cars,pets and a widowed mother that lives 2 blocks away. I'm glad to have them. Yep, all need quality time. I like coming here and seeing everyones work yet it has me wanting to do more and better art. On top of that my (non artist) job has me putting in an extra 250-300 hours of overtime a year.

I'm not able to paint as much as I want so I've started to draw more. Which is OK too and helps with the creative part of me. I don't know of any solutions there just are none....OK theres at least one but I haven't gotten the right numbers on my "POWER BALL" ticket yet.

Just hangging in there, Bruce

Thanks
    WoW was fun... but it consumes you. I played for about 6months before i realised it shattered my social life and killed my creative spirit. My advice to you is to lose the game and spend that time drawing. If you just want a game play to relax, pick up a new one, just stay away from MMORPG's of any kind.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    I understand what you mean as well. I work all day, have school two nights a week, cars, bills, wife, parents, friends, housework, exhaustion. I does seem hard to find time to fit everything in. Best I could say is that there are a bunch of people on the board, Gilead for one that does a 30 minute a day painting excercise. Try fitting in small blocks of time to sit and paint or draw and then go back to life. It may scratch that itch.
    Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    I find time between the hours of 10pm and 3am, but that's starting to be unhealthy, especially with all day work, relationships and mundane things like vacuuming.
    Erilaz

Books of love:
    RebeccaK bumskee dirty_c Iconophobian Steph Laberis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erilaz
    I find time between the hours of 10pm and 3am, but that's starting to be unhealthy, especially with all day work, relationships and mundane things like vacuuming.
    Dude I know exactly what you mean. But it's more like between 12-1am and 3-4am - considering my girl is ultra high maintenance. Then I get up at 6.30-7 to get to work for about 9-10 hours. All week goes like that, by end of which I'm so drained that can't even think of picking up a pencil. And it's not even that I'm physicaly tired - because after 2-3 weeks of going like that you and your organism can get used to that. It's just that I feel so psychicaly and mentaly tired that I sit over a blank piece of paper for hour or so and can't think of anything to draw, or I start to doodle and end up drawing the same face/ monster etc which I already drew 100 times.
    Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks

I know the feeling

I'm deployed in Kuwait. By end of the day all I want to do is just crash. Only reason why I am trying to get something drawn is because I promise and the images keep sticking in my head.
    QTF IMI.... It's a MI thing!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ulvdemon
    I'm deployed in Kuwait. By end of the day all I want to do is just crash. Only reason why I am trying to get something drawn is because I promise and the images keep sticking in my head.
    Can you stash a small sketchbook in your jacket? Even if it's a quick scribble whenever you can steal a moment. You are in a part if the world where you will be sorry years from now if you don't come back with a sketch journal.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Games, mostly online games, ARE addictive, no matter if people keep saying " i play RPG´s, and i learn a lot from them" or " is just to keep me from getting bored", video games make you less prodductive and can even affect your social life, acknoledge that and you might be able to not get too into games, but still play them occationally, just like any other vice.

Other thing is quit, but that takes a lot more will power.

Secondly, you will go nuts trying to have it all, i mean entertainment hours, a good relationtip with your family, a good social life, enought money, luxurys of life, etc. Balance is important, and you should know that you cant really have something without giving something else in return, just think if anything you have is wort trading ( in terms of finding time to do anything else)

Time is the only thing that nobody will give you back, the only universal trade resource, be sure to spend it well.

Thanks
    haha - Well, I MAKE video games for a living so it's kinda hard for me to just quit games all together. hehe.

Plus my husband and I play WoW together on the weekends for fun, and we're in a guild with a ton of my co-workers here at Sony. So that consumes time in addition to all the other random crap like movies and Best Buy he drags me to.

On top of all that, we're in crunch mode here at work, so I'm usually at work from 9am till 9pm during the week, and it looks like my weekends will start disapearing all together with Alpha coming up in two weeks.

@_@ too busy. lol...

Thanks
    I was having a really bad problem with this recently. And for my case, it was a change of habits that helped me out the most.
    I've found that making a schedule really helps out. I try to fit in atleast an hour a day at drawing. By making it a priority instead of a 'when I get to it', you won't feel so artistically mute. Even things like cleaning time can be cut down by taking care of the little messes as you see them (trash and dishes) and setting aside a day that is used for the big cleaning (vacuuming, laundry, and resetting the house for the week).
    If you can't fit in long stretches of time to draw (like an hour on up), then try to look into microdraws. Fit in sketches while sitting in a waiting room or while out on break. Draw while you're watching your favorite TV shows. I even take a sketchbook into work so I can sketch out quick thumbs while I'm at my desk (meetings are even better for this provided you can pay attention while you do it).
    The real trick, though, is to keep art always accesible to you. Keep a shoe box in your car with some spare supplies so you can draw when your out. And a pocket sketch book is great to have since you can take it anywhere. I recommend any mobile sketchbooks have a hard cover that you can flip to the back of the book so you can economize on space and comfort; like a spiral or something similar. As one friend of mine said, "I wish I had your hobbies, you're never bored."
    When another friend and I were talking about how much games interfere with our drawing time he suggested this: Instead of trying to set aside time for drawing, force yourself to earn the right to play games. Instead of starting up the TV or computer to grind away levels, draw the controller first. Draw the TV, the monitor, the keyboard. Draw something different each time. You'll more likely go off into another picture before you ever touch the game.