Thanks

dumb question, but, well...

I bought that comlete guide from brigeman...so far so good.....but...I still can not keep in mind what I had drawed, it was the same with loomis >_<"
    this is not like learning vocabs for english or spanish or like learning german history or for my drivers lisence.....this it totally different. I do not know how to learn that effectively, of course, I could draw every image 20 times, that it would (maybe) be kept in my mind, but this takes too long.
    Has anyone any tipps for me or can he or she tell me how he or she learnd all that muscles and bones?
    artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i think one of the most important things in learning anything new is patience.

plan on it taking a while...
    My Sketchbook

the world is a diaper; let someone else change it.

Thanks
    Bridgman is great but I suggest you go with the Eliott Goldfinger or Richer books where the photographs/renderings are much more clear and understandable...

Bridgman is better to understanding form-mass-rhythm- IMHO. The quality of the reproductions (of thedrawings) might still leave you guessing whereas a clear photographs/renderings are very precise.

Also - when copying - dont just copy like a robot but think about what your drawing. Analyze vs memorize. I have this problem too and I have to sit down and really figure out whats goin on, especially for the back muscles.

or..start going to the gym - you'll start paying much more attention when all those muscles are on your body...
    Last edited by Rascar Capac; October 19th, 2005 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac

or..start going to the gym - you'll start paying much more attention when all those muscles are on your body...
    haha, funny, I do not have any problems with all his lines, what I hate is, that he draws human bodys completely different that loomis.....allways short, fat men, but that is not the a real problem, I just can not keep all that stuff in mind.....cause I do not know how learn.
    artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406

Thanks
    Unless my sources are wrong, Bridgeman taught Loomis. Anyways, just keep doing it. You will hear this many times, but you MUST be dedicated. Dedication is one thing people look for more than anything else. I know I've said this a billion times, but I give up my lunch period so I can do self portraits. Every single day. That's what it takes to make it in the business.

Thanks
    Take the drawing apart and simplify it to the most basic of shapes. Seriously, if you just copy the image you wont learn half as effecivly. If you wanna fix cars you dont just stare at a car. You take that shit apart.

Thanks
    Don't worry about retaining ALL the information you just studied. Learning anatomy takes time so be patient with yourself. And be prepared to keep learning. I don’t think you ever stop, there is always something you could improve on no matter how long you’ve been drawing.

To understand the drawings and how they will help you improve, start small, say with a particular body part that is giving you trouble. Say you start with the legs. Find a bunch of good pictures on the Net of legs in varying ages, shapes, and sizes. Also, use your own as well. Now, see if you can identify the muscles in the Bridgeman book to the pictures you've found. Can you pick out the bicep femoris or the adductor muscles? Compare and note how the same muscles differ from person to person. If you have some old magazines, you can outline the muscles directly on the page. Draw a generic skeleton in the same pose as your reference picture and only add the muscle(s) you are currently studying. Make some Xerox copies of the Bridgeman pages but whiteout the names and quiz yourself and see if you can remember their names and function of each muscle. I, personally, think knowing what the muscles do is important because if you are going to make up creatures or monsters, you’ll want to have the muscles of that creature to look like that actually serve a function and were not just thrown on there.

When you feel comfortable with what you learned, add another body part. You could maybe start with the arms now. Or maybe something that is attached to the part you just studied, like say the abdominal muscles. Slowly but surely you will build up to a complete human (or creature).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac
    this really does work though.
    My work: [link]