Art: The Destroyer WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Destroyer WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Destroyer WIP

OK folks, I know I'm treading on sacred ground here by attempting a Frazetta work, but here goes....

This is the center piece of Frazetta's "The Destroyer" my all time favourite Frazetta painting. I've wanted to make this one since I was a kid (a long time ago, in a ....you know the rest).

He's really, really early on here, and a bunch of the stuff is just "placeholders" so I get a better feeling for the composition. I.E. The shield was just built for size and to give me an approx. arm position. The hand with the axe is also just stuck on for the same reason.

The head is a skull right now, but I will be building the face over it (It's a technique I sometimes use). The back I'm still roughing out, so no shots of that yet.

Be gentle...

Thanks All --

Will

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's looking good so far. I've done the skull build up on some projects and sometimes it just helps reinforce the overall structure. You ever do it with the whole body?
    The flow of the attack looks powerful. I guess you'll be using some heavy pegging on the feet? Or maybe attaching them to a large base for stability?
    Keep going man...this is a very ambitious project and it looks like you're on the right track.

END

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks GoldMane!! You're work is astounding, so I def appreciate your eyes on this piece.

Yes, I think heavy pegging is in order for this guy as get a better idea of the 3D concept of the painting. It will just be more convenient when working the other 9 (10 if you count the guy hidden under the shield beneath Conan's right knee area) pieces.

I have done the full blown skeleton up to skin process a few times, and I wish I could actually do it all of the time, if it didn't take so bloody long. I feel it helps you get a better feel for the piece.

Thanks again for your encouragement -- I greatly appreciate it,

Will

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW i wish i could sculpt like you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You must have gonads the size of basketballs! It takes alot of nerve to say to yourself " I think I'm good enough too do a Frazetta peice",When we All know that we can't begin to capture the Masters magic! That said, I'm not going to say that you've pegged it with dead on perfection, But it looks like your getting close.

P.S. Don't let that swollen head topple over and ruin the peice before we get to see more. The Nerve of some people!

Members who have read this thread: 1