Thanks

Contrast of Critiques

Hey guys, i found an nice intersting light study that someone did on that web.
    Contrast of Critiques
    This is a 10 minute light study that ninjai from optic studio posted up in a forum where people did alot of good digital painting and stuff. At that thread he was praised for his light study.

http://www.messstudio.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1485

and this other forum, he was totally assaulted and critisized. The people here were really into line art and american styled comics. They appeared to frown upon digital painting techniques..or any type of coloring and lighting excersizes at all.

http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums...7&page=1&pp=15

The contrast in the feedback that piece of art is almost uncanny and astounding. It just goes to show how the enviroment of the forum and influence the type of critiques you get.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Smile

indeed right ... were U to post it here .. I think Ud get post people saying .. the anatomy isnt perfect or not enough detail or the nipples should be a df colour ...

There is propbly lots of work everybody here produces that doesnt make any sense to put on CA ... cause it is not digital - not done with painter or photoshop ... or is some futuristic space mutant ... sorry but the art on here does seem in what medium it is & what it looks like .. sometimes quite limited IMO.

And U get one-million anime-comic things on here I have the feeling .. .

Sorry if im offending anyone .. this is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Thats why criticisms are like, a super-delicious Chinese food lunch buffet. Consider it all, take what you like, go back for some of the stuff you passed on before, and take a nap.

Additionally, if Pakistani food is not your style, you might be wasting your time going to a Pakistani buffet at all. Assuming such a thing exists, which I do.

Thanks
    I totally know how this is. I used to post on this like.. teen chat forum thing for a while in the art section. But recently have stopped because all i got was 'good jobs'. or crits for it beign not anime enough... Now I just port here.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    People´s subjective opinion means crap to me, and people that dont appreciate well done art, no matter the style, are just plain blind. At least in the case of artist.

An artist that choose a style to love, and hate anything else that is not similar to that style, will not grow as artist,

Style picking is for the viewers, not the artists, who should keep an open mind. with the exeption of the obious bad art, that can only be recognized when you detect the artist didnt acomplished what he had in mind. ( most cases, bad anatomy or a really bad made stylization...product of not knowing the basics)

EDIT*: To summ up, the guys in the second sie are right in the 99% of the points they made, guys in site number one didnt even read the post, and thought the guy bouth sketched the stuff and painted it in 10 minutes....not a contrast in opinions, just a misundestanding
    Last edited by Shamagim; October 19th, 2005 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks
    You'll always get a mixture of opinions.

That raises a question, what is your system of sorting out the opinions you recieved into different categories. Usually when I post some stuffs for crits, I would have in mind what particular type of crits I'm looking for (eg. crits on tidiness of the pic, the contrast, the composition, etc), so I would just scan the post for keywords to determine which posts are most likely to be meaningful. Then I might go through the posts again to see if anyone made useful suggestions other than the aspects I'm focusing on.

Since I don't tend to recieve lots of crits for my stuff, I barely need to "scan". I am curious about people who recieve lots of replies though? Do you actually read through everything or do you use some form of scanning as well?

Thanks
    Maybe its just me, but I tend to agree more with what the folks over at digitalwebbing posted. Though I wouldn't agree completely because it is obvious some of them are quite against anime/cel shaded stuff, but they're right on the money for most parts. Also the tone of Ninjai is called into question. Right after the first "negative" crit, he immediately went on the defensive and at this point everyone (including me) wants a piece of him. To begin with "Might be good reference for some of you beginners to see how just two tones can give a flat coloring look 3D." just oozes prick-ness and to end with "Whatever have fun, i won't be reading it." isn't very professional of him.

Maybe its the environment that pushes people to give different views. Personally for me, its the tone that is being used on me that affects the tone that I will reply in. I think Noserider mentioned it in one of his threads.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    yeah, well, a wiser man than myself once said "opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one". You show, say, a Frazetta painting to 10 fine art critics, 10 illustrators, 10 art students, and 10 stock brokers, your going to get a very confused and contradictory batch of responses.

Thanks
    darth massacre is right, though...if you cant take a crit, you have the deviantart "Line up here to ass-pat me!" mentality, and become belligerent at the first sign of a real criticism, you can just about guarantee you're going to get some rough comments. Unprofessional attitudes have a way of mobilizing the masses.

Thanks
    Undefeated : "deviantart "Line up here to ass-pat me!" mentality"
    -> INDEED !!!! very true ... well almost most of the time .

DavePalumbo : ""a wiser man than myself once said "opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one""
    -> .. true ... I love giving out MY opinion

:-)

Thanks
    Contrast of Critiques

I rarely make a critique, so here goes......lets see if people freak.

This is a study in posterizing, not a study of light. I only see 2 to 1 contrasts in hues........it would 'pop' more if a 3rd highlight was added.

The cartooning is typical. A bad Jeff Campbell style....which is just immitating what is already there. I see no originalty or study from life. These are drawings from the imaginiation, yet they don't offer anything from reality.

The proportions are distorted and lack design.....typical humaniod cartoon drawing. Does not capture my imagination or willingness to hire this person as an artist.....assuming you want something original.

As a study it's only mediocre at best. It's a sketch nothing more.

OK, now I'm an a'hole.

This would probably make more sence if you knew who my influences are?

See Neal Adams, old John Byrne...John Byrne is very under rated. 1st comic book artist that did 'good' industrial design type drawings in a 'mainstream' comic book, Xmen....and John Busema.

I think Todd McFarlene is the devil and Travis Charest and Adam Hughes know each other, their styles seem similiar.

It would probably be more informative if people told other artists what their influences are and who they should look up in order to get an idea of what an artist should aspire to, and show them what they're lacking?

Most likely, most artists admire somebody else, and what you want from them is probably different from what their influences are?....yes, no?....I don't know.
    Last edited by NoSeRider; October 19th, 2005 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks

Unhappy

On MESS, the critiques tend to get more rigorous outside of the art school threads and instead in the hallway, WIP+sketchy stuff and scrapbook subforums. What's irking me is that ninjai didn't ask for critiques. The MESS people acknowledged his contribution without tearing at the technical details - this would be the correct approach - it is an art school thread after all - the digital webbing people completely missed the point, I feel.

Thanks
    woooah. this thread prompted way more discussion than I expected. I only wish my sketchbook thread had HALF as many responses, then again, i should be posting more often there too I just half to say, alot of comments that people posted on this topic were really insightful, I just thought it was interesting..and maybe even a little funny, but I didn't think that it would prompt this much insightful analysis on all this "stuff"

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarfevs
    On MESS, the critiques tend to get more rigorous outside of the art school threads and instead in the hallway, WIP+sketchy stuff and scrapbook subforums. What's irking me is that ninjai didn't ask for critiques. The MESS people acknowledged his contribution without tearing at the technical details - this would be the correct approach - it is an art school thread after all - the digital webbing people completely missed the point, I feel.
    If someone is offering up bad information or examples (which these are) as something to be emulated, then they deserve to be called on it. The fact that many can't see what's wrong with these is the very reason they shouldn't be posted as "reference for beginners."

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    u know, i just realized that Messstudios is getting owned in this thread, i really hope that no one from mess comes wandering to this thread ... i don't think they will be happy with in

Thanks

Arrow

I think if U posted something within ur post .. not as an external link .... I didnt bother to even look at it .. then Ull get a severly bigger response ... .

Hey this is artists disussions things ... that can go on forever I think.

Post something like why digital painting is inferior to "real" painting .. it would never stop

& might just get nasty

EDIT : Just actually read the 2 threads ... ud get the same reaction on here as on the digital weebbing thread .
    The MESS one is a softer than DA site it seems.

Just IMO .
    Last edited by Poohgee; October 20th, 2005 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks
    It's simple. Everything is a matter of opinion.

JMO, Bruce