National Portfolio Day....what the hell is that?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

National Portfolio Day....what the hell is that?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to one back when I was a junior/senior in High School, I believe it was at MassArt in Boston.

If you're planning on going to an art school, it's a good way of knowing whether or not you have the chops to attend the schools you're looking into.

At the portfolio day, reps froms schools look over your portfolio and quickly discuss strength and reaknesses that you can work on until you actually apply.

I guess though, even if you're not interested in going to an art school, it's nice way of letting some one who doesn't know you and has never seen your work, crit your art. You also get to meet a lot of other students/competition and can see where you rank amongst other people your age.

j.

My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems that some schools do kinda keep tabs on promising students. If you are really interested in a school, it's a good way to get on their radar and to be able to speak with someone connected to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, it definately couldnt hurt.
    im going to the one in Hartford. Now all i have to do is get a porfolio together by the end of the month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got to the RIngling one every year (since last year.) It lets them evaluate your skills, tell youi what you need to work on, etc. ]

You can also get "hints" at to what schools want you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im makin my way to NY from Sweden to go to the one att Pratt in nov. And also to check the schools first hand of course!

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I never went to one, but friends of mine did and it seemed to help them decide what school was right for them, and gave them feedback on what their portfolios might be needing. I hear that the big names schools have massive waiting lines, be prepared.

school costs too much. What's the point?
    That attitude isn't going to be of much help, but you may learn something about scholarships being offered by schools you're interested in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm going to the one being held at mass art on nov 6...
    i know a bunch of older students who have attended them
    here is what they said:

Pros (that i remember off the top of my head)
    -really good opportunity for you to get college reps to know you and your work (if you standout...real good)
    -crits, crits, crits also good because some schools look for certain things
    -meet alot of other students your age and get to share and talk about your and their work with them
    -personal questions about their programs can be asked, by you to them, and them to you
    -+ the ones already said above

Cons (that i remember off the top of my head)
    -some schools send students (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and sometimes they are unqualified to know what you need to improve on or are sometimes biased toward younger and upcoming students...(i know a girl who at National Portfolio Day got her work torn to bits by the RISD rep, who was a student...but when she applied she got accepted...)
    -who wants to handle all their precious works at once?
    -long day (but very worth it)
    -limited time, can't get to all the schools (massartone:4hours: i've been told i can see 3 schools...maybe? 4 if lucky?)
    -waiting in line ("gives more time to chill with the other art dorks")

*people have told me to bring someone along for support or even get a group of friends together and go with them so we can exchange info on more schools

-dq

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    school costs too much. What's the point?
    That attitude isn't going to be of much help, but you may learn something about scholarships being offered by schools you're interested in.
    This is the secret about art school admissions. It's not about getting in, because that's the easy part. It's about who'll give you the best deal. Art schools want the best students, and will compete to get them. It makes good economic sense, because good student work and successful alumni are the best advertising any school can have. So the more they know you, and the more you know about what kind of scholarships the schools you are interested in offer, the better off you are.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    about bringing an accomplice:
    Eric Kaster (RSAD head of admissions) told me to definately bring someone along, so you can use them as a placeholder in the super long lines, leaving you free to roam the area to get a feel of what your up against, learn about other schools, and yeah, hang out with the other art heads. go mom!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to one back when I was a Sophmore in highschool at the Kansas City Art Institute.

It basically crushed me for months - haha. But I really sucked back then and didn't realize it (you know, like most of your average 10th graders who are a teeny bit better then every other highschooler who doesn't give a crap about drawing, so they all go 'ooo' and 'aaah' over your scribbles, but when it's compared to someone who's actually learned to draw a little, it's crap)

I didn't really get much out of it. It was just a huge hit to my ego, mostly.
    I think that if a kid is still early in their development and is so-so with drawing, going to a Nat Portfolio Day can have one of two effects, depending on the type of person.

1. It'll crush their ego so badly that they stop drawing for a while.
    2. It'll motivate them to get better.

If you're already a pretty decent artist, going to one of these will probably just serve as an ego boost, and give you a better idea of what to submit for portfolios to the schools you apply to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I went to the one at the Atlanta College of Art last year and I found the crits we're rather nice. You get a chance to ask the reps what you should do to expand your portfolio and such. I'm actually a freshman here at ACA now. I'll be at the one here this year, but it seems like most people are heading towards Mass.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.