Thanks

Please share your stories...

Just wondering if maybe some of the professionals and soon to be professionals might be kind enough to share experiences and stories of some of the hardships they've had to overcome and some of the mountains they've had to climb in order to become the artist that they are today.

I don't know if I speak for myself, but as a reltaive n00b to the artworld I consistently find myself feeling as if there will be no possible way that I will ever become part of the wonderful field of concept art (or art in general). I know full well that self-confidence, preserverence and hard work are the keys to success....

BUT, I was hoping, instead of creating a thread where people can give me cheers, and tell me that I'll be okay if I work hard (which I do love by the way...) some of the professionals out there making a living on their hardwork and effort could share with us some inspirational stories....where people like myself, just starting out, can draw hope from, and understand that becoming a successful artist is more than just learning how to draw pretty pictures! (Although thats an important part as well...don't get me wrong.)

For those of you willing to share your stories, thank you from the bottom of my heart. (Even an old link to another thread would suffice )

antant
    Everyday is another chance to improve yourself...

antant's sketchbook!!!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    When I first decided to become an artist, it was a very difficult choice.

My art master told me to choose the ball and join my mother in heaven, or choose the pencil and join my master in hell.

I was trained by Pai Mei who called me an ugly American cow who only knows how to spend money. Good thing I quit drawing anime, for Pai Mei despised the Japanese. I joined a group of 5 artists, we called ourselves the Deadly Viper Squad. I was "Black Mamba." The leader, "Snake Charmer," came to my wedding rehersal and killed everyone there. Including me... or so he thought. I was in a coma for 4 years, but when I awoke, I wanted revenge! I got a sword forged by Hatori Hanzo and killed Cottonmouth, Copperhead, Sidewinder, and finally the Snake Charmer.

It's true, really.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    yeah, like any other creative field (music, writing, film, acting, etc.), the art business can often feel like an impossible nut to crack. But isn't that one of the things that makes it great? Sorry, no stories for me today, but I know where you're coming from. If its getting you down, do what I do: go watch Rocky for the 500th time and then start a new painting

Thanks
    Relationships always seem transitory. Are you doing art because of people or it's something you've always 'done'?.....not wanted, you've always 'done' that?

Ignore everybody else, just do.

Thanks
    LOL (to the first post).

Art is something I've known I've always wanted to do, something I've always done, something that I've always been attracted to but only recently have had the courage to pursue seriously.

Well I might as well start this thread with my own story:

Somewhere during college I realized that the only possible thing that I wanted to do in life, to be really good at, to devote myself to, was creating art. There were many problems with this resolution, one being the lack of technical skill that I had, and two, the time I needed to gain that skill. Art is something I've ALWAYS done (with the exception of middle school...being mostly concerened with girls and friends....). But it wasn't until I discovered "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain," and Andrew Loomis that my techincal skill began to improve.

During college between studying (I'm not the smartest cookie in the box, and takes me twice as long to study as some other people,) and Working to pay rent, I had little time to focus on my passion.

TIME.....time is my enemy.

I've finally managed to land a job (manural labor-esque) after much, much searching. It pays the bills (barely), its fun, but ultimately its not what I want to do. I study when I can, but I feel as if I'll never climb the mountain that I'm on. I know I'll make it or die trying, I've absolutely no regrets in choosing this road in life, but sometimes, just sometimes, the overwhelming feeling of impossibility overcomes me and I feel as though this shadow has got me by the throat and is just waiting for me to say "I give up."

The shadow....it tells me that I have no time to do the things I want, it tells me that I'm not good enough, but worse than any of those, it tells me that IF I give up now, I'll feel much better..... Anyone else have that shadow?

As far as I can remember, I've never given up on things that matter. I don't plan on ever doing so. But I think I would like to hear, or perhaps understand that there were people on my Mountain once. That they heard and felt this shadow called self-doubt, and somehow made it to the top.

I'm not looking for answers, or people to say "don't worry, you'll make it" or compliments (although those are more than welcome on my sketchbook ), but I'd like to hear more about someone else's experience in getting over the mountain. Maybe I just want to know that there are survivors, but more importantly, how they survived. I guess I just wanted to create a thread where I could sit back and read what more experienced artists have to say about their lives, and say to myself "These talented artists, they're just normal people too, and yet here they are."

Weather or not you have a 'superman' overcoming all odds story, or 'I got a un-subsidized loan for 100,000 dollars for artschool all by myself story' I figured us n00bs on the forum might appreciate reading about it.

Let me know if this is a dead thread already.....I was thinking "chicken soup for the CA artist soul...."

antant
    Everyday is another chance to improve yourself...

antant's sketchbook!!!

Thanks
    There was once a comic con in my city.. One of my favorite old artists was reviewing sketchbooks. My buddy and I woke up late so I grabbed my book and we headed on down. We got there to realize that the artist's favorite young star had the chance to do a one shot DC comic... When I went to show him my sketchbook. he opened it up.. EMPTY! My sister had taken my sketchbook to work with her one day to show her co workers, and left me a new one.. I felt like such an ass..
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Interceptor, do you have ANY not-awesome stories?

Thanks
    did her co-workers like it?

Thanks
    For starters, try working 14 hours a day (normal, did about 15 months of that) and if you survive that, try 18 hours a day (deadline looming, happens for a week once every month) and then 25 hours a day (crunchtime, when the director comes into town to review work, for maybe 3-5 days straight once every 3 months). That would be 6 day work weeks for the last 12 months I was with that company.

It's not too bad if your bosses are great, it gets worse if they're pricks.

And the pay sucks.

But hey, I was happy. And stupid.....
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Undefeated
    Interceptor, do you have ANY not-awesome stories?
    When I think about all my storues.. they're really quite unfortunate. I'm glad I was born with enough sense of humor to laugh it all off. Maybe I'll make a story a week thread, hahaha.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Here's my story.

About a week ago I got my first job as a Pixel artist. This is my first real contract doing digital work and while I'm very excited to have it, i'm also worried because he has a tight deadline to finish the game in.

I've quit my steady paycheck job @ Roots so I've already taken the leap of faith. Due to the deadline, I've seen my schoolwork suffer for this job as I am either late for class, or miss it entirely. It is my goal to have adjusted to this new job by the end of the week so that I can get back on track with school.

Here is what I have learned. You have to be able to juggle like a madman. it's about wieghing what is important with what NEEDS to be done and in what order. I think I've made the right choices because I have work week coming up with school and I know that I can catch up on all the homework by the early half of next week. The rest of that week will be devoted to my contract.

This week though...has been stressful to say the least. I've felt like my free time is wasted time and I honestly don't think that's an exxageration. I have such a ridiculous amount of work to do right now and I have money troubles related to affording school besides that.

Hold your head up, get 'er done and move on! You have to move out of your comfort zone to go farther and for me, that means working harder. Hope this helps!
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    It was the opinion of some faculty at my school that students shouldn't be getting involved in serious work until they graduate because it weakens both your studies and your paying work results. I don't know if I agree with this, but it definately makes things harder. I'm sure it depends on the person, and it will surely teach you what you're capable of. If you think you can handle it, turn off the social life for a while and go for it. The sooner you start getting in, the easier it will be when you've got financial responsibilities mounting.

Thanks
    I'm not sure I agree entirely...I'm all for serious work in the arts but I don't like having to take time away from school. It hurts my studies and, as a student, that is my number one priority.

In a deadline driven field though...it would hard to find something that only asks for 15hrs a week. It's a give or take situation. In mine, the end result of taking this job will generate extra cash flow through royalties.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>