Sketchbook: Smith Wesens Terrible attempts at drawing.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smith Wesens Terrible attempts at drawing.

I am rather young, IE haven't graduated highschool. Heres some stuff I've sketched. I figure, why not let complete strangers tell me how terrible I am.

Some Eric Larson style muscles-

Some more realistic torso stuff-

A robot-

Some more Eric Larsony-

Back to a bit more normal, taken from a concept design for a character, though the site was in another language, so I don't know the artists name.-

And some muscles I did recently while looking at some of at various peoples stuff.-

And to top it off, a piece I did after seeing a certain entry in the Hellgirl contest over at Artxilla, basically a copy sans horns.

I hope I didn't cause irrepriable blindness in anyone. Remember I'm still WORKING on being able to draw, I don't hold any illusions as to my current level of suck. So feel free to tear into me, I know how terrible all of it is.

Never lose faith, even if faith has lost you - Neo Nexus

My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right then - firstly, I've seen a lot worse. Secondly, stop bitching! If you think you suck, you'll derail yourself. I don't mean you should go around thinking you're an art god, but having a more positive outlook will almost definitely help, and self-pity (which comes across as being quasi-masochistic here) isn't ever good.

You've obviously got a basic knowledge of anatomy - work on fleshing this out, keep studying, pay attention to proportion, balance, etc. Probably the best site to check out would be www.saveloomis.org

Other than that, just keep working. If you want to get there and you put the effort in, you'll get there.

Hope that was of some help,
    Mid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You´re not bad. Shut up and draw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Midnight: HAs pretty much cleared every thing up and said what is what! but as this word goes "quasi-masochistic" you have either spelt it wrong becuase there is no such thing...

Allso draw from life every chance you get. Set up of objects like cups, apples, glasses, and then get a sheet, put over a chair set up the objects as you wish, grab a lamp and draw away....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To clear things up I am happy where I am at, considering where I've come from as far as skill goes... I was just leery about my first post because to be frank a lot of the members here are rather intimidating in skill.

There won't be much bitching from here out. Sorry about that, just making sure I didn't come across as big man on campus. I figured its better to come across as masochistic than a braggart. Because nobody likes somebody whose too big for their britches. That being said.

Heeeereees a torso-
    Edit: resized it.

Annnd heres some real quick back muscles-

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your starting out at a pretty good skill level, there are some people who have been here for a year or more and are at the same level. Here's some stuff to try or not. Get yourself a model of the human skeleton. It doesn't have to be a lifesized one, but it's important to have in order to understand muscles. Also get a book on perspective, "Perspective Made Easy" by Ernest Norling for example, that's really the first thing an art student should study. Check out "The Natural Way to Draw" by Niccolaides at the library, do contour, mass, and modelled drawing exercises, the other stuff is optional. "Drawing and Perceiving" is worth a look too. Apply construction drawing(relating complex forms to basic ones, in order to accurately measure in perspective), and those niccolaides exercises to the skeleton, playing around with these ideas will really solidify your understanding of the skeleton. Remember to take, learn, and apply ideas from many different sources.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Actually I've been using my "Anatomy Made Easy" by Christopher Hart.
    "Drawing Human Anatomy" by Giovanni Civardi
    and
    "Dynamic Figure Drawing" by Burne Hogarth
    I've been trying to find some good perspective books at local art stores but sadly they all seem to have nothing specifically focused on perspective, and I've been a bit leery to buy online without a good preview of what I'm buying.

And because I don't believe in posting in my sketchbook without something to offer heres some doodles I did a few minutes ago.
    They are just various snippets taken from various things in my "insperation folder" whatever caught my eye as I was scrolling through the images.

Oh and a drawing of the Crow, again a mimic of someones work over at Artxilla quickie, did it a few days ago actually. Nothing fancy.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start! It's always nice to see someone starting drawing with such a dedication at such a young age, makes me jealous when I realise that you will be hundreds of times better than me when you reached my age

If you search for something to study anatomy from, why don't you take a look at some of the studies here?

Just 2 of awsome thread you can study from (And if you have questions, you can just ask them ):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1432
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...3&page=1&pp=60

Keep pushing and don't loose interest, you have potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice I'll check those threads out! Not that my reference folder isn't bursting at its seems already.
    I cracked open "Anatomy made easy" by Christopher Hart, I just tried a random page. It was on how to draw skinny people.
    She cam out a tad tall I think though. But what are you going to do eh?

Oh and I dug through my sketchbook for other random goodies. These were done a while ago. (a few months). Though not from the begining when I started drawing, about 10 months ago. No way in hell I'm showing you guys THAT stuff.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished this. I don't know how much time it took, and I don't want to.
    Stupid friggin tree.

I give you. A tree, I used a picture I found in someones sketchbook here as reference, for a few minutes. Then I just went from my head.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't worry about being bad. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, with that all you need is to keep studying and practicing.

One thing I'd recommend is to simplify your forms when you're starting a drawing. For example your Crow with the gun and sword--it looks like you were drawing the muscles before you actually had the geometry for the torso, which makes it come out flat. Draw the basic shapes first, study them to make sure it looks okay, and then start adding detail.

Your hellgirl is very nicely done--good light and shade there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I would like to show you the sketchbook of the guy who did the original.
    Sadly though I can't seem to remember whose it was... I shall post it if I find it.
    Not much, I know. I'm doing some perspective/anatomy studies I will have up
    later if I get a chance to get to 'em. I may be too bushed after jujitsu.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I know! I should be drawing more. Also the anatomy study I was doing fell by the wayside and I've been busy (Blatant Lie) , so here is a page of stuff I doodled from my "Insperation" folder.

And heres a quickie sketch I did of supergirl a... few months back I think. Wow time flies.

Oh and I found this other supergirl. Here.

I know its not much in terms of appeasement and I need to dedicate more time to drawing! I'll work on a quick sketch I'm doing and post it later.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do not be so hard on yourself. When I was about your age I couldn't even tie my own shoelaces. So you've got time to learn and your off to a good start.
    Proportions, anatomy. These are the keywords that will get your drawing to a new level. I found out that though I can draw from life or pictures my proportions are horribly wrong. When you understand the underlying structure of the figure it helps you so much and saves time and mental health. Will be following your thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. It's encouraging to know I'm not as bad as I see myself. Mind you its hard to maintain a positive outlook when I see some of the stuff here and not only does it blow me away I just can't concieve HOW someone would do it. But I plan on keeping my chin up and pressing onward.

This one is aptly named "We had a sub in English class today."

Jut a little something, I'll post some more here in a few hours.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might wanna check out the Loomis books. You spent some time with Hart so far, see if you like Loomis figure drawing book better ... I did .

The reason, Hart is pretty stylised, Loomis starts from life and from the 3D form, and explains the logic of things.

I've bought several books online because of the high praise they got here on CA, of all of them, I'm less into the Hogarth books, cause they are pretty stylised (still will look into them once I know more about anatomy).

I'll drop some names, you can do a search and see what people say about them .

anatomy:
    David K Rubins
    Peck
    Richer (& Hale)
    Goldfinger (both human & animal)

general:
    Hale: Drawing lessons ... and Master Class ... (not Anatomy lessons...)
    Nicolaides: The natural way to draw
    Harold speed (also available online, gutenberg.org) (haven't read much of it yet, I must admit)
    Bridgman (all books, preferably seperate I've been told)
    Loomis (free online (saveloomis.org))

perspective:
    Watson
    Norling
    D'Amelio
    Rex Vivat Cole (haven't spent much time with it yet, though)
    http://www.lateralscience.co.uk/perspective/index.html
    definately study perspective from life as well

Keep those drawings coming, there are some very nice pics amongst the newer ones !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll check out those names. Thanks. And here I cracked open the online Loomis book. Maybe like a few minutes. Terrible stuff, but I am already liking it a lot. I do like Hart's stuff because of the sort of symplified style. I find something like, say Hogarth's stuff is rather sink or swim. He sort of assumes you are already a good artist.

Hart starts you off nice and slow and sort of eases you into things, which is nice because it helps me slowly get a feel for things...

Oh, and heres that terrible loomis stuff I promised.

Oh hey! this was something from my sketchbook. An image I plucked out of google image search and drew in one sitting. Also months ago.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff. I'm still in highschool too. What grade are you in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... look at me, not drawing, when I very well should be!
    Well part of it is I'm just not posting some of the stuff that I draw because on the side of a test I will scribble some anatomy practice or some such, not a whole lot that I can/should bother posting. I was bored in German today so I sketched this out, the guy on the left was done in the style of Loomis, though I did it solely out of my head. Which strikes me how few times I've tried with Loomis yet it is already sticking. I'm in a drawing mood right now though so I'm going to whip some more stuff up to post.
    Without further adieu

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookit me! Not updating like I should! Yay!

Heres a hand I drew on the bus.

And heres a page of stuff I just drew out of my insperation folder. If your artwork is in here I am by no means trying to take credit for it and will remove it if you ask.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This update's lookin' good, cool girl(?) in the hat, and the face right under there has a lot of character.

Might wanna darken your scans a little...I almost couldn't see that hand on my laptop's LCD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Here I darkened up the hand a bit. My scanner is a cheap lexmark 3 in one deal. Hope this helps. Also, heres another hand I did a long time ago. Just for grins.

Also, in the original picture the of the guy in the hat, it was quite clearly a guy in the hat, but I decided to make it androgenous. You thinking it is a girl means I have in some way succeeded.
    There will probably be more updates forth coming as I have nothing to do today so I can actually get some drawing in.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres a quickie profile

And heres a fan art I did for a webcomic, this one is old. In case you are wondering, yes she is missing an arm. Also I say she, she is supposed to be very manly, she is a warrior chick and all that jazz.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did this entire page without stopping or erasing. The face is without reference but of Manitou Raven from the Justice League, as best I remember him.

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 1