Self Portrait - Ballpoint Pen
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Self Portrait - Ballpoint Pen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Self Portrait - Ballpoint Pen

Just a plain jane Bic.

Given my current skill level I am relatively proud of this sketch. There are a few slight inaccuracies, I rounded out the cleft in my chin and the forehead isn't *quite* large enough. Other errors I've noticed are that the eyes/eyebrows could be improved upon and the chin is shaded a bit too darkly. (Almost looks like I have a goatee!)

Been away from the forums for a while and this is just my little way of jumping back in the pool.

Crits welcome!

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is quite nice, but the bi-directional shading of the hair looks hurried, scribbley, and is a bit distracting, but overall, this is very good detail for 45 minutes!
    Self portraits can be some of the hardest things to paint, so you get extra points for "bravery..."

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hair has most definitely never been one of my strong points. I'm trying to veer away from drawing it "strand-by-strand" and to think of it more as a solid entity, shapes and shadows, etc. Something I really need to work on. Thanks for the crit, Madster.

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While this is pretty good, there is a neat exercise that you might like and is certainly helpful: focus on certain areas of your face. A few that would be most helpful: the entire bottom of the nose (from mid-nose to mid-philtrum), one eye, and the lips in different positions (tough as it's often hard to keep different lip positions while concentrating on drawing). When you concentrate on certain areas, you aren't so worried about it looking like "you" and more about how things actually look.

Give it a try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent idea, Dogfood! That actually sounds quite fun! I'll hop to it tonight and post the results the next time I have access to a scanner.

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to add that you do have the right idea making the hair more blocks of shape then individual strands. It's just when you are shading those blocks of shape, make sure your stroke are following the paths of the individual strands, if you know what I mean. This is especially true with ballpoint pen, as you can see the strokes of the pen so well, and it's tricky to blend smoothly..it looks really good for a 45 min sketch though...

Members who have read this thread: 1