Thanks

Best way to learn painting?

Hey guys, first post on this forum and the level of talent on here amazes me. I've been lurking for a few months now just trying to soak in all the talent and creativity, but something has been bugging me the last couple of months.

Basically, I'd like to learn how to paint, traditionally and digitally. Preferably, I want to start traditionally, but I'm having a hard time finding my way onto that first step. I don't know what it is, but I can't paint well, if at all. I wish I had examples to show, but unfortunately no digital camera or scanner. Basically, my question is how did a lot of you guys first learn to traditionally paint and what medium is best to use to learn? I want to take that first step to learning how to and I just need some simple advice, anything from a simple reply to maybe any books I could buy on the subject that really help to open that door.

Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to the advice.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    i started with charcoles...learned my values for a full two years before i took a painting class...thats the traditional way to do it...

you need to get in a life drawing class...maybe to concurrant life drawing classes....take them over and over for a couple years....take a couple painting classes.

painting is something that i believe is best learned in a group environment...i learn more from my peers than i do on my own....but the putting it into practice part is yours and yours alone.

start taking classes...workshops...start drawing from life every day.

good luck

btw...the best teacher i ever had teaches at mesa community college..in mesa...his name is jim garrison...that is who you should go spend a couple years with...if yer in az.

j

Thanks
    Thanks Jason, that reply helps tremendously. I'm taking a life drawing class right, but not over at MCC, although the school is close enough for me to do so. Unfortunately I checked their schedules and Jim Garrison's classes are all filled-up. I may have to wait until December before I could get into one.

I'm wondering Jason, did you start taking the full-time program at MCC or did you just take the life drawing classes?
    The advice is extremely helpful though. I think I may go outside today with the charcoal, even though it's 150 out, and do a few hours of value studies.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    go talk to jim...tell him i sent you over...he can get you in his class cuz some fool always drops...see if he will help you.

I took full time drawing classes...had about 3 and a half years with his classes..taking them over and over again...he was my main mentor in art.

i did all my generals at mcc as well

j

Thanks
    Jason, your a godsend. I'll head over to MCC on Tuesday after this Labor Day weekend and I'll see if I can talk with Jim Garrison for a bit and try to get into a few of his classes. I know you didn't have to help me out, so this is greatly appreciated. Have a great Labor Day weekend Jason.

Thanks
    Hey BH I am in the same situation but I am like brand new to painting pretty much...

I have drawn all summer and am still at it and trying my best. I hope to find life drawing courses and perhaps painting as well. I study as much I can and learn as much in my spare time..

good luck and wish me luck too...

Jason you make some good points here