What Kind of Paint for Murals?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question What Kind of Paint for Murals?

If I want to paint some art on a couple of my indoor walls, then what should I use for long lasting awesomeness?

I've used acrylics in the past, but now I need washable paints. Oils would be way too expensive for the size I'm doing. And, of course, it's indoors, so I can't use spray paints. What's left?

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you have any problems with acrylics? if not i'd suggest that, through an airbrush

or maybe if you could find a way to get a bunch of latex primer and mix pigments into it or something... i dunno.

is it on wood? sheetrock? tile? wallpaper? plywood? cement?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regular latex house paints work fine. There are so many colors available now that you have a very wide spectrum to choose from. Just watch out, they dry quickly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The company I work for does murals (indoors mostly) as part of their business. They have always used house paint, Sherwin Williams. Use any brand you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just use spray paints, ventilate your house, open windows wear a mask

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello magicgoo,

Since I use acrylics in my art if it were me I would use them. The permenant kind should last very well. As far as clean up goes sealing the mural with satin or semi-gloss varnish should keep it there a long time and help with any light clean-up ( wiping down with a wet rag and such). A gallon or quart would do. Just be sure to open windows and follow the safety precautions on the can and I will add, check with all the folks that will be effected with this project ( parents, landlord, roommates...... so on)

Let us see the finished results when your done. BTW you have some very nice art on your members site

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What ever you do, don't ever use car enamels on a plaster wall. I've seen people do this because of the colors available in spray can form, and it totally destroys the wall over time...very little time. I think it has something to do with sealing the plaster up and trapping moisture in it. The plaster starts to "rot" into this powdery white moldy-looking stuff and just crumbles off the wall. Ultimately, you have to rip everything down and replaster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, everyone! thanks for all of the great advice!

I never had problems with acrylics. I just didn't think they were washable on a wall surface. I like the idea of coating them with something. That should work out fine.

Although, for the size of the project, I might just wind up using latex house paint.

When I'm done with the project, I will definitely post pictures. We have two black half-walls in our dining room area and our house is decorated with an Asian theme. I want to paint a giant red koi fish wrapping around one of the black walls in sort of a tattoo style.

Oh, and thanks for the art comment, Bruce Plato

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have painted indoor walls make sure to check what type of base paint was used *** before *** you start working on your mural.

An oil base paint will cause an acrylic mural to slowly peel off over the years unless prepared properly.

"You mean you don't make sound effects when you're painting?" -David Tillinghast

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    If I want to paint some art on a couple of my indoor walls, then what should I use for long lasting awesomeness?

I've used acrylics in the past, but now I need washable paints. Oils would be way too expensive for the size I'm doing. And, of course, it's indoors, so I can't use spray paints. What's left?
    Perhaps a mural painter can help answer the question. I know of one at http://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/dotm/FrankRodgers/

there's a lot of Dogwaffle art on this page which is not related to murals but near the top of the page there's also a photo of a real mural he did and that's what I know of him, he says (with a lot of humility) that alas he's not an artist, he's a painter ;-)

Check with him, Frank's a good guy, perhaps he has a recommendation for what to use for indoor. I think he has done mostly outdoor work but it's just a feeling I have and maybe he still can recommend something for your indoor situation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently just finished my second mural. I used acrylics and then covered it with a couple of coats of polyurathane. I think the results were good and it's washable too. I used a semi gloss, but next time I'm going to go with a satin finish. Good Luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Gilead does murals professionally and I gathered from his posts that he uses latex house paints...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.