Art TEACHER

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Art TEACHER

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art TEACHER

I just thought this would be something interesting to talk about. what do you guys think about combining work and art all in one? what are your ideas and opnions on being an art teacher. the idea seems both appealing and annoying at the moment to me. teachers are alwasy in need...but art is generally an "elective" type course...unless of course your lucky enough to land a job at a college that is art based.

Would the idea of inspireing a new generation of artists appeal to you? i think it would be interesting to have the chance to inspire people. i wish i had more open minded art teachers when i was in highschool...maybe i would have done better and paid better attention.

so yeah. what do you think about art teachers? (and if you want throw in some other careers that involve art but arnt revolved around getting commisions or anything like that.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to admit that the idea of telling other people their work is meaningless garbage does appeal to me on a certain level.

I've never had an art class (not since high school, when I was far, far to smart and advanced to listen to anything an experienced artist had to say), but I hear a lot of horror stories. I think people's reaction to the words "art teacher" is gonna be a pretty mixed bag.

But no, I wouldn't want to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its fine if i get a mixed reaction. i just want to get a general idea to how its perceived.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nancy Wells
    Fran Herman
    Larry Kassan
    Northan Bing
    Betsy Goldberg

Those names won't mean anything to you. But they meant a hell of a lot to me.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had clueless art teachers and I had awesome ninja art teachers, all making roughly the same wages in different colleges/schools, but I still know nothing, so make of that what you will.

Best "art teacher" I ever met was a complete loon, so I'm not sure where I stand on this really...

I'm just a student/noob though so take whatever I say with a bit of "noob filter" at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's an odd question. I don't think I'd personally ever consider being an art teacher. It just seems like you'd be spending so much time going over the same thing so often that you would'nt have much time to explore things yourself.

I do admire teachers in the highest degree, though. Not just full time teachers, but even people on CA are teachers to me. The tidbits I've been told from people on here has been more useful than any professional art instruction I've had.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm unclear..are you considering a path in art education? I don't think any career in education is wrong, if of course you are doing because you really want to enrich people's lives. Yeah, security and $$$ is nice too

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My father is an art teacher and can't afford anything... *sigh*

Teachers dont make enough money here in the US.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teaching art is just about the best gig in the world as far as I'm concerned. Just be prepared to have to deal with attitudes. Those are about all that can ruin your day. One thing to consider is what age level of student you want to work with. I work at the middle school level so the hormones permeate the very air, but for the most part the kids are tolerable and I've met some few kids with suprisingly mature drawing skills.

As Lord Cardigan said to the Light Brigade, "Just canter down the valley toward Balaklava, fellows. Nothing to worry about." -W.E.B. Griffin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i used to give my art teacher hell in highschool. ohh boy. He couldnt turn his back for 5 min without some clay flying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its very likely I become a full time art teacher almost immediatley after I graduate...teaching lower levels of course. Few reasons, one of two most important ones are that in Singapore, the standards of teaching art (skills on a commercial sense) are almost non existent. Precisely because there's no "standard" a lot of art teachers bring in experience from the industry and its more flexible both for the teacher and student.

2nd reason I'll keep to myself Its a contract thing with the government.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could see myself doing it if I wanted a steady job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would really like to teach art art to kids. The good part would be the kids that are really interested in art would be fun to teach. The downside would be that the ones that don't like art would annoy the hell out of me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have never had an art teacher in highschool who taught me anything drawingwise. They would tell us: 'next project is gouache, format is this, theme is that' and we were on our own from there. We had some very very basic 2 point perspective at one point (out of the 4 years of art I took in highschool). I've pretty much been self taught till college where I took fashion design so we had quite intensive figure drawing and drape drawing the first year and after that, we were on our own again. But then we were told any figure below 9 heads high was crap.

I my experience, most art classes are about forcing students to do projects and then rate them, not about guiding them in the process and give them tips and critiques.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art instructors are either good or bad. If you happen to be better than your instructor then something might be wrong. I really think the higher-ups at colleges/universities should look beyond the credentials and focus on the quality of the work these artists produce. But those higher-ups should know what they're looking at in the first place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

anyone got a flamethower

Hi KW13,

I really enjoyed my art teachers. They were Saints IMO. Not to rain on anybodys ideas about going into this field but reality is reality just like in the art profession. Devotion is a must and you really need to love teaching and art. I've broken down my highschool art class expirience below.

Class-3, ART101

Teacher- Mrs Onefoot Ingrve
    Students= 30
    Reasons for taking art in HS:
    13 students= because theres no homework
    5 students= because they were trouble and the school didn't know what
    else to do with them.
    4 students= because their b/f or g/f was in the class.
    2 students= because it was easy to get a "Hall Pass" and wander around
    other parts of the school for an hour.
    That leaves 6 students that were there because they liked art and wanted to learn more about it.

As for me. Until the rules allow glue on some of the chairs, duck tape and rubber mallets in class teaching art to highschoolers is not for me.

College art is a whole other animal.

If teaching HS artclass sounds negetive its really not. Just load up 24 student on a school bus and send them to the local dairy factory on a field trip. Then teach the remaining 6

Bruce

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can see myself doing it if it were college level, or some other environment with kids who were actually interested in learning. I used to think I'd hate it, but the few oppertunities I've had helping out friends who I was out painting with felt pretty good.

I'd totally be one of those teachers who just doesn't care unless the student is making the effort. Chasing brats who are in art school on their parents dime so they dont have to work in the real world just isn't my style.

I know Mr. Miagi says there's no bad students, only bad teachers, but I have to disagree. Some of the kids I've known...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I were an art teacher I'd just put on Bob Ross video and take a nap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kitty, there are as many kinds of teachers as there are kinds of people. Some of the ones I've valued most highly were those who had experience outside the education field. If you'd been there, you carried a lot more weight than if you'd just read about it.

I agree with a lot of the folks here who mention that teaching below the college level is akin to babysitting in some schools. Until you establish yourself as a hammer, only for serious art students, you're going to get every person who wants to sandbalst a mirror or make an ash tray or just laze around and melt crayons.

While my HS art teacher was a fair western painter, his classes were a crafts joke and if you could suck up to him, you got an "A". It was disappointing, because he could have taught the three serious students about art, but was forced to hit the middle student and we learned nothing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    If I were an art teacher I'd just put on Bob Ross video and take a nap.
    hahahah

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13
    Would the idea of inspireing a new generation of artists appeal to you? i think it would be interesting to have the chance to inspire people. i wish i had more open minded art teachers when i was in highschool...maybe i would have done better and paid better attention.

so yeah. what do you think about art teachers?
    I suppose it all depends on the school, grade level and attitude of the larger community toward the arts. Teaching art in a high school of art music & design would be a very different experience than teaching art in a public high school where part of your job would be to babysit the jocks so they can maintain an acceptable grade point average to stay on the team.

Teaching, like art is something you have a calling for. If you get into it only because you need a regular paycheck, you may eventually come to hate it.

Either way good luck.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if i was asked that a few years ago i wouldve said no bloody way,ask me now and ill say get me drunk first,in the future it does feel like a possibilty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm...yeah i figured as much. i just wanted a general opnion for the sake of conversation. i dont know if its my calling, and i dont know what grade i'd want to teach. i really dont know what i'm going to do or what my calling is. i draw because i can, but i wonder if i have the passion to follow art. i really dont find the passion to do anything so its a little frustrating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This whole forum for the most part is about teaching and learning, and it's a good example that it can be a great experience for both sides. So I say go for it if it's something you think you'd like to do.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Nancy Wells
    Fran Herman
    Larry Kassan
    Northan Bing
    Betsy Goldberg

Those names won't mean anything to you. But they meant a hell of a lot to me.
    Hell yeah, it's not the way to fame and fortune but you sure do have a lot of impact on a lot of people.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i draw because i can, but i wonder if i have the passion to follow art. i really dont find the passion to do anything so its a little frustrating.
    If you feel this way I wouldn't recommend teaching somthing you really don't have a passion or purpose for. The last thing you want to do with your life is to "settle".

Find your passion and purpose first, then pursue it.

I agree with alot of the posts, it sucks when you get an art teacher who doesn't give a crap, or tries to indoctrinate ignorant young minds. Art is a very personal form of expression, and the last thing we need is somone destroying a student's potential.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont think i'm passionate about anything...i've changed majors more times then i can count. cause even if i am really interested in something it wears off after about a month. arts the only thing thats been with me since i was young. i'm alwasy doing it...but i have no deriction with it...nor of what to do with it...so its a little on the confuseing side for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't think about becoming a teacher, then. The world has more than enough passionless, uninspired teachers.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Kitty,

I may have been a little sour on teaching HS art class but one thing about teaching that is certain if you choose to do it. It is one of the most rewarding jobs you can find. That is strait from people that have done it a long time (not me).

I think you still have time to change your mind, several times over.

see ya, Bruce

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kitty,

I just looked through some of your work, and I would recommend you consider doing more abstract work. The ink piece was great! You don't always have to learn traditional techniques or have a strong foundation in order to create good work.

Personaly the reason the ink piece is so good in my opinion is that you created it with EMOTION. In order to create good work, you often have to let the work create itself.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.