Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Art TEACHER

Thanks

Art TEACHER

I just thought this would be something interesting to talk about. what do you guys think about combining work and art all in one? what are your ideas and opnions on being an art teacher. the idea seems both appealing and annoying at the moment to me. teachers are alwasy in need...but art is generally an "elective" type course...unless of course your lucky enough to land a job at a college that is art based.

Would the idea of inspireing a new generation of artists appeal to you? i think it would be interesting to have the chance to inspire people. i wish i had more open minded art teachers when i was in highschool...maybe i would have done better and paid better attention.

so yeah. what do you think about art teachers? (and if you want throw in some other careers that involve art but arnt revolved around getting commisions or anything like that.)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I have to admit that the idea of telling other people their work is meaningless garbage does appeal to me on a certain level.

I've never had an art class (not since high school, when I was far, far to smart and advanced to listen to anything an experienced artist had to say), but I hear a lot of horror stories. I think people's reaction to the words "art teacher" is gonna be a pretty mixed bag.

But no, I wouldn't want to.

Thanks
    its fine if i get a mixed reaction. i just want to get a general idea to how its perceived.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Nancy Wells
    Fran Herman
    Larry Kassan
    Northan Bing
    Betsy Goldberg

Those names won't mean anything to you. But they meant a hell of a lot to me.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    I had clueless art teachers and I had awesome ninja art teachers, all making roughly the same wages in different colleges/schools, but I still know nothing, so make of that what you will.

Best "art teacher" I ever met was a complete loon, so I'm not sure where I stand on this really...

I'm just a student/noob though so take whatever I say with a bit of "noob filter" at least.

Thanks
    That's an odd question. I don't think I'd personally ever consider being an art teacher. It just seems like you'd be spending so much time going over the same thing so often that you would'nt have much time to explore things yourself.

I do admire teachers in the highest degree, though. Not just full time teachers, but even people on CA are teachers to me. The tidbits I've been told from people on here has been more useful than any professional art instruction I've had.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    I'm unclear..are you considering a path in art education? I don't think any career in education is wrong, if of course you are doing because you really want to enrich people's lives. Yeah, security and $$$ is nice too

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    My father is an art teacher and can't afford anything... *sigh*

Teachers dont make enough money here in the US.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Teaching art is just about the best gig in the world as far as I'm concerned. Just be prepared to have to deal with attitudes. Those are about all that can ruin your day. One thing to consider is what age level of student you want to work with. I work at the middle school level so the hormones permeate the very air, but for the most part the kids are tolerable and I've met some few kids with suprisingly mature drawing skills.

As Lord Cardigan said to the Light Brigade, "Just canter down the valley toward Balaklava, fellows. Nothing to worry about." -W.E.B. Griffin

Thanks
    i used to give my art teacher hell in highschool. ohh boy. He couldnt turn his back for 5 min without some clay flying.

Thanks
    Its very likely I become a full time art teacher almost immediatley after I graduate...teaching lower levels of course. Few reasons, one of two most important ones are that in Singapore, the standards of teaching art (skills on a commercial sense) are almost non existent. Precisely because there's no "standard" a lot of art teachers bring in experience from the industry and its more flexible both for the teacher and student.

2nd reason I'll keep to myself Its a contract thing with the government.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    I could see myself doing it if I wanted a steady job

Thanks
    I would really like to teach art art to kids. The good part would be the kids that are really interested in art would be fun to teach. The downside would be that the ones that don't like art would annoy the hell out of me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.