The Science of Aliens
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Science of Aliens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb The Science of Aliens

Hey,

I just watched bits of this breath-taking documentary regarding the future development of deep space telescopes and how in ten years time scientists will be able to focus in on planets/ moons that may hold prospective life!!!!!

What made the documentary so alluring was that all the creature/ plant designs were developed with the support of evolutionary biologists, these guys/ gals utilize planet earth as a template and start changing all kinds of attributes, for instance the gases in the atmosphere, the surrounding planets and stars, weather patterns etc.

I saw this one creature design called the Jackal that had 360 degree vision (basically it had 3 eyes and looked like a gigantic house fly, real ugly)!!!

The DVD is going to be released later this year in Europe, not sure about the US but since the telescope is being built by NASA I’m sure you’ll hear a lot more about it in coming years.

I wage all the tremendous artists for Star Trek and Star Wars are gonna be like “damn, we got it so wrong” lol (just kiddin), presume we’ll find out in ten years time.

-Jam-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again,

If you live in London you'll probably find this info useful – there an exhibition being held at the Science Museum just near South Kensington tube station, here’s the website http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/exhi...iens/index.asp

I was gonna go on my lonesome, none of my buddies are into concept/ fine art so anyone around the London area wants to make the visit with me just let me know k!!!

If your to indolent then I guess you can watch the documentary on the 12th November on Channel 4 – guess we can have a future discussion about in future or whatever.

Later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again again,

My bloodshot eyes won't allow me to type much so here's another great DVD, an awesome resource for creativity that any concept artist wouldn't want to overlook, I really dig the designs for the probes that go around exploring the planet, some cool creatures too.

Here's a short description I got from Amazon - The dynamic meeting of solid science and futuristic simulation culminates in a dramatic exploration to another inhabited planet seven light years away. Alien Planet creates a realistic depiction of creatures on another world, where life is possible, if not provable, according to scientists' theories. Take this fascinating journey created by state-of-the-art animation and photo-realistic affects, leading NASA and Jet Propulsion Laboratory experts and, of course, imagination.

Peace Out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched that Alien Planet special. It was alright, but it seemed more like a showcase of Barlowe's work to me. I guess that's not bad though since I like Barlowe, but it's more science fiction than science fact.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would've thought that everything that was designed was done under the supervision of experts in various fields of science (that's the immpression i got) jfwalls, I didn't really care/ think about that though, it was entertaining to watch.

Man once those telescopes start transmitting back pictures, that's gonna be the day, still got ten years though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't enjoy the Alien Planet thing. It seemed like they were less interested in exploring the possiblities of different types of alien life and more into creating one world. Too many things in that world depended on other things that they had already made up. It seemed too much like science fiction and not really looking at the implications of environment and paths of evolution and stuff like that.

Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoo! This is the type of stuff I like to see! Haven't seen the Alien Planet one but I'll definatly be on the look out now. I remember there was a similar show called Wild Future or something like that, but it was earth-based instead of extraterrestrial, the premise was what would be the fauna/flora of earth in like millions of years into the future (with the according geological/climatological changes in the envoirnment and atmosphere). What I liked about it is that there is indeed some degree of predictability regarding geological and atmospheric conditions based on the ones existing today, and the organisms inhabiting the earth today are familiar, so its not something as far-fetched as trying to imagine how alien body plans would be configured. Thats the part that sucks for me... though its fun to see what alien body designs might look like, it really depresses me when I begin to see stuff that resembles earth organisms... like bilateral symetry, legs, heads, hair... When I see something that even looks like a vertebrate animal thats what really kills it for me, when they narrow it so much. I mean, look at the history of evolution on earth, none of the first body plans included vertebrates, and the most succesful ones today are the arthropods (insects, arachnids, etc), followed by the mollusks, and then the chordates, to which the vertebrates are a subgroup (includes humans).
    For once I would like to see an alien body design so freaking far out there, with mechanisms so absolutely new, that just looking at it you couldn't possibly comprehend it or relate it to anything you known. Yeah, thats the good stuff : P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

squirpy - you got a good point, in spite of of how much people debate about what kind of life forms may exist in the universe we’re always going to be restricted by our own imaginations/ conceptions. I guess creating a documentary like alien planet is just to open up possibilities, either that or to make a cheap buck hahahahahaa.

That "wild future" documentry sounds pretty cool Broken Sprit, gotta check that out sometime!!

Hey YOU (yes you looking at the screen reading this) if you've seen or recommend any documentary's then dump em in here with a short description or whatever!!!

Later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But see, I didn't even think they opened up possibilities. They kinda just stuck to one line of thought. I think it would have been much better if they'd done something where they considered all different kinds of worlds and what life on those worlds could have been like. Like in this book: Extraterrestrials: a Field Guide for Earthlings

I really reccommend that book if you're into this stuff.

Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That looks like a really cool book squirpy, I'll be sure to check it out, thanks for that!!

My mum sad to say easily falls for those reader digest "YOU COULD WIN A BRAND NEW CAR OR £50, 0000 IF YOU BYE THIS BOOK" deals, most of the books are pants but she got this one called "The Last Mysteries of the World" which is pretty awesome. I'll scan in a couple of pages regarding future weapons, its got tons of stuff from the Mayans to the Mafia.

I was thinking (bad habit), worst case scenario of first contact with an extraterrestrial (apart from Independence day/ The Thing/ Predator) would have to be if the aliens got an ass for a head and communicated by farting lol, sorry don't know where that came from

Peace.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.