Concept Design Convention?...

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Would a concept design convention be a good idea?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 96.30%
  • No

1 3.70%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Concept Design Convention?...

Greetings all!

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a concept design convention going on anywhere. It seems to me that something like that would not only be quite a bit of fun, but could be extremely helpful to those wanting some pointers all the way up to those who are prepared to moving into a position. Some of the artists I see on this board and many of the artists that are out in the workforce deserve their own showcase rather than just hoping to be guest artist at some sci-fi or comic convention.

I'm located just north of Philly in PA and have been toying with the idea of trying to start something like this. How great would it be to invite not only specific concept artists (Ryan Church, Justin Sweet, Teryl Whitlatch, etc. etc.) to come as headliners, but for the whole conceptual community to come together and share ideas, workshops, etc? It would be fantastic! As far as practical funding, this kind of a convention could easily be a platform for gaming or even film companies to push their up and coming titles.

Just something that's been beating around in my head lately and I just wanted to know what everyone thinks of the idea and if you know if it's already being done somewhere. Thanks!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,226 Times in 2,767 Posts
    Follows
    Following

actually...

we have had a little bit of discussion in regards to this.

once the site is back up and running I will discuss it with the other guys and see if we could possibly set up a workshop in the future.

I studied at the illustration academy....twas a bit expensive...but i got more out of those pros then i did in two years at ringling. take a look at their program if you like...it was a great one. www.illustrationacademy.com

we would have a similar program as they do....classes....presentations....lectures...guest artists....maybe recruiting help...discussions....life drawing...etc....

maybe a five day thing...I dunno....we will talk it over and see if conceptart.org can sponsor something like that.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:O)

Wow, that sounds great. That's definitely the kind of thing I was looking for. The kind of response I was hoping to get. Generating more interest and excitement out of this kind of idea can only be good and who knows where it could lead? I'm hoping that enough people show the interest and hop on board that we could see something come to fruition that would benefit those wanting to better their craft, and entertain those who just want a look as well.

I think what aspiring concept developers/artists really need is a face to face with someone who will tell them flat out, "That's good...change that...that's crap...etc." You can't beat that kind of experience from people who know what they're doing!

Thanks for the response. I'll try to keep in touch and keep me informed on any new threads you'll be starting concerning this topic! I'm getting psyched already!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damnit! :mad:

Now I'll have to move to 'merica...

Here in Holland we don't have anything that really resembles that kind of education...

Couple o' traditional art schools, but they have very high standards, so it's hard to get in. Plus they don't really deal with the entertainment industry, 'xcept maybe commercials.

There is one comic-oriented education in Rotterdam (where?), but that's just silly and not professional at all.

So it's difficult for me: should I choose a traditional art education (could I even get in?) or an unprofessional one that's more my thing, but not entirely? :mad:

I want to be taught by people with my interests!!!

What brick through yonder window breaks... ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i doubt i would be able to contribute to a project like this (im only in high school), but i would be very excited if a project like this happened. i would be able to do one thing, and that would be spread the word around in my town. for those of you who have heard it, i live in northampton, MA, and the town statement is "the number 1 small arts town in New England", so that might be helpful.

i went to a comic-con a while back, and all i could do was stare at the artists sketching. i wasnt even interested in the comics lol, just at them drawing. to see this on such a large scale would be amazing. count me in on being there.

a few ideas:
    -with the game advertisement, that could go hand in hand with the concept art used to create the games. to show the whole process from the artists to the 3d modellers.
    -workshops sound awesome. what i think would be awesome is if there were a few artists who use tablets and such to project their work on a big screen while theyre doing it, and maybe talk about the process.
    -last idea (lol) to get sponsorship for a program like this could be relatively easy if you know who to go for. art suppliers(utrecht, pearl paint, etc), hardware suppliers(wacom, comp dealers, etc) all these kinda people would probably be willing to get this kind of exposure.

ok well i hope i dont sound too dumb :p, good luck with it. if it ever happens i will be there 100% (and probably a whole contingent from my town )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great ideas!...

Thanks for the great ideas Sentient! I think you're definitely right on with a couple of points you made. Being able to bring in companies who are willing to set up a booth, have a demo or two, would really be one of the only ways the funding problem could be solved. I totally agree.

Workshops of course would be not only a welcome thing for most of us on this board, but also another way to help cover costs. It was like you were reading my mind when you mentioned the big screen demo. I've thought about that myself and it would be a great thing to see several artists go from sketch to finished product.

Another aspect important to bring out in workshops and even just in lectures would be the whole theoretical area of concept design. How to think about your work, goals and pitfalls, color theory from a more conceptual view, etc. All of these things could be incorporated.

Great ideas! Keep spreading the word and ask people to visit the thread and give their opinions. If enough word gets out we could begin to compile a list of those interested for some ammo to show to prospective sponsors!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just trying to keep this post alive for more feedback. Thanks folks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jason or Smeagol,

Jason mentioned something like a 5-day thing or other. How much can one learn over the course of 5 days? I am asking this as a completely open question because I would go for sure. I'm willing to do almost anything to better my skills.

Awesome idea. puleaze make it happen.

oh yeah, do either one of you guys know of other short/intensive programs? I just looked at the illo academy but....WHOA, I don't have that kind of cash right now.

thanks

Last edited by keyth; August 5th, 2002 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

convention...

i think that a convention is a great idea, however if the front page artists would post more artwork on the sight and also like step-by-step pieces, that would give plenty of insight as well, i may not be able to come to a conference, but i could definitely pour over an in-depth tutorial post.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think something like that would rock!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WAY to resurect an age old thread there! Ever heard of the Concept Art Workshops? How many have we had so far since 2002 again? ;p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woh, zombie thread!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 11,226 Times in 2,767 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lol....crazy to see back that far...who would have thought that we would have had them in Amsterdam, Montreal, Austin, San Francisco, Berlin, Prague, etc...since then.

Time flies.

Someday...the MOON!!! ...well maybe not.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    lol....crazy to see back that far...who would have thought that we would have had them in Amsterdam, Montreal, Austin, San Francisco, Berlin, Prague, etc...since then.

Time flies.

Someday...the MOON!!! ...well maybe not.
    Or.... Toronto....?............

Members who have read this thread: 1