Trying to get away from anime, learning to design characters

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey, there are a few things I am trying here in these sketches. First off, I want to have a more orriginal style than annoying and monotonous anime. I also had a pre existing idea of the type of character I wanted to draw. So therefore I wanted to put take all that into account while designing this character.

So I was wandering if I actually achieved anything with this. First off... I wanted to draw a hard character. Someone who doesn't care, a real bitch basically. She is strong, and tough. I didn't want her to be the stereotypical "sexy" kind of female, but I wanted her to still have a sorta off beat sexyness. I also, with that off beat sexyness, still wanted her to have some male qualities about her. So eh... I don't know if I acheived all this, which is why I'm posting. Any suggestions, and please let me know if it looks like something I could develope into an orriginal style, and tell me if it looks like anime or not.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea...sorry, it still looks like anime.

I know what you're going through. I am making the transition myself. Got REALLY tired of the anime trend REALLY fast. Since I picked it up early in childhood (so maybe not so fast, hehe) it totally screwed me up in terms of accurate anatomy/proportions ANYTHING at ALL resembling reality...

I am in therapy for all that and doing quite well, thank you. (j/k) = )

My advice to you:

Eyes, noses, shape of chin, and mouths are all give aways for anime. I noticed you rounded the chin, and made the nose look different than the anime "triangle" nose. This is a good first step. With the body, anime females are generally incredibly small (read: unrealistic) waisted, and large breasted (like basketballs shoved underneath the skin). There is nothing wrong with big boobs, my sister has some wicked gigantors, but they should have some weight for pete's sake.
    = )

I wish I had a reference for you of my sis, she did some tattoo pin-ups a few years back...

Ahem, anyway. Getting to the point: draw from life. Take figure drawing classes, draw people you see walking down the street, get used to fast, unfinished sketches to get down body proportions. I'd say get the body anatomy down first.

Once your anatomy is looking better, attempt the details. Start looking at eyes and do lots of studies of eyes. Do the same with mouths, etc. until you know what they really look like. As they say, once you know the rules, only then can you break them.

Once you know how things really look, and how to draw them, you will be able to stylize them in a way that suits you.

I know that sounds terribly complicated. I wish I had a "make this easy" button for you, but I don't. We all go through it, and, (unfortunately), you will pretty much be doing it your entire life, it will just be for different goals...that is, if you want to stick with art.

I hope that made sense. It's past my dinner time and I'm hungry.

Best o' luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like anime. especially the eyes.Draw from photos. Draw real people. You have to learn to draw it right before you draw it wrong. Stylizing is a privelege, not a right.

I have great faith in fools. My friends call it self confidence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crap... it is still anime... okay you guys are absolutely right in telling me I have to learn the basics first... yikes... I've been learning basics for soooooo long... but I guess you never really stop now do you? Okay, well back to the drawing board.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    try www.saveloomis.org, its got all his books scanned in, page by page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh don't worry, i saved every page of the loomis book a while ago, I just havn't had the time to work through it. But I see people suggesting it left and right, so you know, I guess I will stop putting it off and go through it all ready. It sounds like it's concidered the best book on drawing ever... so... who knows, maybe it will do wanders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bad Brownie - Naw, what you said ain't complicated, it's a really pretty simple process. It's just hard to stick to it, coz you're always tempted to move on to the next "floor" without properly exploring the floor you're on. (I know I tend to do that )

About coming up with an original style, Jelly Donut, what Bad Brownie said is basically it. Draw sketches, learn the shape, the texture and the proportions of the stuff you wanna draw before going on to stylise it. At the moment, I'd say you're on the right track. Don't expect to make the transition - "CLICK" - just like that. Rome wasn't built in one day. Just keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About coming up with an original style, Jelly Donut, what Bad Brownie said is basically it. Draw sketches, learn the shape, the texture and the proportions of the stuff you wanna draw before going on to stylise it. At the moment, I'd say you're on the right track. Don't expect to make the transition - "CLICK" - just like that. Rome wasn't built in one day. Just keep at it.
    Yea, I get the message. It would be like me trying to build a machine without any knowledge on how, but instead of trying to make it work right, I instead try and make it look cool and different... that's actually a bad analogy I think...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw parts of your body and self-portrait everyday. Im trying that myself but dont have the time. You know, practical course in a uni.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.