Sketchbook: A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder*

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder*

••• Minor Edit here...for the sake of being a person and for anyone who gives a rats furry backside, My name is Eric. I don't bite...often and I am known to respond favorably to crits. I am just trying to learn and get better like everyone else.••••

Hello All!
    I have lurked for a bit now, and I must admit that I am blown away by the level of talent, professionalism and overall courtesy exhibited herein. I suppose the next step is to dive in with vigor. Please help me learn and grow. Nobody special, just a newb trying to learn the ropes. Crits of all types most welcome. Knock me out of the park.
    Most of this is just the random Flotsam of my mind. Meant to entertain me and or train my sketching skills. I will endeavor to update often.

Critter with a rocky texture to his skin.

The obligatory Alien attempt

A little Color work... trying various painting techniques out...don't know if it worked or not, but it was fun.
    (Acryllic on board)

Little ink work

Digital coloring attempt...sigh. WIP Must work more.

More doodling...trying out armor...hate the helmet..
    a lot of things I would do different. Still learning

Most of the time I rough things out with a bluline pencil or with a hard pencil. sometimes stuff comes out a bit loose, but I try to make sketches as reminders to myself. Just trying not to let the ideas go by the wayside.

Alot of things wrong with this one I think,
    but it is still fun. Reminds me of bad "B" grade sci-fi

Well there is a quick little batch of things. I will try to get more up soon.
    I am new to the whole forum thing, so I hope I posted this all correctly, and that these sizes will work well. If not drop me a line to let me know what to change.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fractured1; January 28th, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow

This is some really cool stuff going on. I'm new to this forum, I really liked your angel winged female character, I love the color pallete. As much as you don't like the armor guy, I think he's really sucsessful. Nice stuff dude. Thanks for sharing.

pestopants.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the first two, and the colors in the acryllic painting are really nice. I also like the Batman. The only thing that looks odd to me are the lips on the archer. They seem abnormally long. Other than that, neat stuff! Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stepped away for a bit to grab a bite. was not expecting anyone to have stopped by yet.

*pestopants thank you for the quick thumbs up! Nice to get a positive response so quick in the game.

*almaghest... thank you. It is amazing how long you can look at a piece and not see the obvious until somone else points it out. Grrr...must fix lips at some point. thank you.

Well here is another spillage of stuff...

A couple of quick sketches... just trying for forms and shapes

A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder* . A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder*

Not so sure on this one...oh well keep working...

An on going critter study...

A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder* A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder*

I have found that some really fine drawings have come from meetings at work.

More critters.

A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder* A Sketchbook Odyssey *new Stuff to ponder*

Uhh....this is pretty old. However it is one of those that I like, everytime I look at it.

Random Doodles

I love to see dragons.... everyone has their own take on the beasties..
    here is a little inked one. I kinda like this one.

Hmmm.....Life of the party?

And more quick and dirty sketches

A head study from the "dude" sketch. I liked the attitude of the char.

A messy...followed by a quick clean-up

This is a moment from a dream that I had.
    I spent a lot of time in the woods as I was growing up. This was a fun painting for me to do. I tried to "capture a feeling" for me it worked. Not sure how well it comes across to anyone else. This is an Oil on Canvas board

A few observational sketches. There was this really old iron bench where I used to work where people would sit down and take it easy. It was a great place to sketch from.

Well that is it for the evening. I am off to get some rest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I am trying to make this into a daily activity. I need to keep posting so that I push myself. Here are a few more pieces. These are more current.
    All of this just starts out as a simple scribble just like the other sketches I have posted. As I fall in and out of love with the sketch I begin to develop it more...trying to keep the bone structure in mind. I feel that is 90 percent of the battle when trying to make something look "grounded" in reality. I don't know that I alway pull this off...but I try.

Here is an extreme close up head shot of a dragon. I was trying to get that "Nature Magazine" feel. I know that it causes some serious framing problems, but I wanted to see if it would work.

I am attempting to get the hang of digital painting....not really fond of it just yet. This is just a quick and messy color job. I will try to add more detail and better lighting as time goes by.....must keep working at it.

I am completely taken in by the concept of perception. We all make snap judgements based on our first impressions...people, places...food. I Started drawing this one night with no clear idea in mind of where I was going. As I got further into it he seemed to develop a certain nobility to me. I wondered how people would perceive him. Good...or Evil. He is still a work in process, but I am hoping to get a little feedback on him before I go futher. I am not certain that I like this background with him. any Ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have some nice stuff. you seem a little inconsistant though some are much better than others.

i like the last one a lot, nice rendering. i think if you made the background quite dark it would really make it pop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oi

Angels, or at least a chick with wings, what have you, batman, sketches you have a fine start, and a rather large one at that. Go sketch and be happy :]

cheers,
    sly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Holy Hell!

Man, work truly sucked this week. After suffering a wretched migraine headache for part of the week, misery condensed on every surface at work today. Ugghhh...well surviving is half the battle.
    For anyone who wonders or cares I am a pre-press Tech. for a printing company. Which essentially means that I am one of the last people to look at your job when you submit it to be printed. I adjust color space and fix missing fonts and links and perform other needed acts of voodoo to get things ready to run. It is a bit of work and it carries a small amount of stress.

I was not sure if I was going to be able to post today, but a promise is a promise. even if, or especially when it is only to yourself.

oven g Love • thank you for stopping in and peeking around. I guesthings do tend to look a bit scattered. As for the varying skill levels...what can I say.. Life sometimes takes a hand in things.... have you ever had one of those days when you could not sketch a straight line? I will also endeavor to create a better sense of chronology...or at least indicate when things are a little newer.

sly's hand • thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Sometimes we all need a bit-o-sunshine.

Here are a few fairly recent sketches.

A little back study that I HAD TO put some tech into..

A quick critter, with a nasty smile

Another tree and shrub extravaganza!

A big guy...I really like this one. Perhaps for no good reason, but I just have a good feeling for the way he turned out.

And last but not least, an ink and pen sketch that I tried last night...not really sure how well it came out, but I am still trying to learn, so I keep pushing.

Well I guess that is it for this eve. Hope you all have a nice night. Off to dreamy land

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back at it.

Well, it has beeen a few days now since
    I feel a bit I have put anything up.
    I have a few new things to post, as well as sharing a couple of older paintings.
    I have to admit that I look around at some of these other artists and just shake my head. You guys are the most incredible collective talent I have seen in a long time. Kudos!

I feel like such an amature. Oh well practice, practice, practice.

To start; The first Acryllic Painting I ever attempted.
    This is a few years old.

Another old painting....ugh..terrible. Soooooo many things wrong with this.

OK. I posted the old stuff so I could kinda get it out of the way. It is my hope that as I continue to post some newer and more improved work, I will be able to look back thru this thread and see a clear line of progression.

About my sketches...to me there are 2 different types of sketches, First the quickest dirtiest sketch there is. Often this will be done in meetings at work, or when waiting for coffee, or any one of a dozen times. Second the study. This is what I use to figure out what the hell I am doing. What am I trying to convey? How do I get there? What do I need to learn before I go on with any given piece of art. I do a LOT of quick sketches.

A little doodle. Place marker for the brain...

A marker and pen bit...trying to get a little light on the subject.
    Not pushing my values hard enough in my opinion.

An inked piece that I really like. It is a challenge for me to produce an ink drawing that I feel satisfied with, so this was a first for me.
    Just finished working on it today.

And now some head shots I have been working on. Trying to get a feel for different Characters and dare I say it? Moods!

Did this one a few days ago....I like him

And there you have it. Ball is in your court. Tell me what you think. Let me have it. Please give me the vital feedback I need to keep growing. Have a fabulous time of it. Keep working!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A better version of an old pic.

I did not know how to fix an old post...
    So I am putting this larger version up here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the inked piece. You do a nice job of suggesting grass without drawing every blade (something I'd like to learn to do) and also creating a pretty interesting small-scale landscape. The tree and the shadow under it, and the patch of tall grass behind, are especially cool.

I do think you could stand to have a little more variety of line widths on the figure, and maybe a little more black in the picture to improve the overall balance. Maybe more of a shadow on the figure?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your doin well in my opinion. I really like the view of that tree and the way the light is shining through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this has been a great week for getting art work done. I have had a chance to do some more studies which I hope to upload soon. It is great to see people are leaving me some comments and critics

max1975 Thx for the nice comments on the inked piece...after looking at it with a fresh perspective I agree with you. The main figure could use a little more ink work.... I will try to get a re-work posted up soon.

Styler...Thx man! I really loved doing that painting. One of those strange sorta, "paint from the base of the brain", type paintings...going more for feeling and having fun while doing it.

So today I have a new Char. I will try to add a step by step progression on this one. That could be amusing.

Not much more to say ATM sooooo, back to the grindstone. Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay here is step 2
    Just starting to get a feel for the shapes and trying to figure out where shadows
    are going to fall. still working on this, as I am posting. Kind of a "live" step by step.

More to come. Stay tuned. Yaaayyyy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking very good so far...make a mistake so I can criticize

Hard to tell at the moment whether those are scales or teeth at the mouthline...hope it's scales, it'd look weird if it's teeth. If it's scales, might wanna extend them up the face a bit...Do you have a particular animal for reference?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya max1975! Thanks for coming back to check on me.

I had to leave for a bit to go bowling....I should have stayed home and kept drawing. pretty bad tonight...oh well.practice works for that too.

It is my intention that those will be heavy scales around the mouth. Hopefully that will make itself a bit more apparent as this moves along. So without further ado...step 3

Okay, back to it. I will try to get one or two more steps up tonight if I can.

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there. You've got imagination, the will, and the skill for drawing. I know that if you keep drawing like mad you will blow our minds out sooner than you
    think. Like the shading and the colours and the overall look to the drawings. Don't like the outline of your drawings that much but that will get better as you keep posting here (On some of the drawings the linequality has already gotten better). Will keep on following your thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well howdy placeboast!

I just checked out your sketch book, some really nice, clean work you have in there. I like it. Thanks for the very kind comments, I appreciate anyone leaving their opinion, that is how I will sharpen my skills, on the grindstone of others...
    Wow! that was way too corny and deep. I hope you know what I mean though. As far as my line work, do you mean my frustrating lack of varience in line thickness? If so I am trying to work that out a bit.

Well here is part four of the saga.
    This is the part where I will say arghh. "Arghh!" I must stress at this point that using paper not meant for fine rendering with a pencil is only going to cause you grief in the long run. I started this guy as a spur of the moment thing. Never meant to work through it on paper which is FAR TOO SMOOTH. If paper does not have enough tooth to it you will never be able to lay down a dark enough shade contrast.. Eh, C'est la vie.

maybe one more update tonight...if anyone cares. I am still going.

Peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is the last post for this eve...eyes feeling gritty...must sleep soon.

This was a fun little distraction. I will try to do some work on it tomorrow. Get it set against a background of some sort.
    anyhooo. Enjoy. Or not.

Have a great eve. Rest well.
    Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New day, new post.

Hello.

New image in the step through. Ughh.... not really sure if I care for it.
    Must admit that I learned a lot working on this. But I still hate the color work.
    This is most likely the last I will work on this one. Back to the drawing board.

Well I will try to have some more stuff up later today.

Peace.

(Skinny Puppy • The greater wrong of the right.) Music of the day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for some opinions on this one

I am working on coloring the Duke of Hell.
    Really want this one to turn out well. I have a specific end product in mind on this, but I would REALLY like to get a little feedback on this one. I am not treating it the same way I do with the sketches and color practice. Taking my time on this and trying to avoid big mistakes in the endgame by setting up a nice ground work at the beginning. After this post I need to rake a break for a bit. I have been sketching and painting ALL DAY, and I believe I might be suffering from art "burn in" of the eyes.

Anyhow here is a first step in a progression.

Colors seem more washed out than they do in photoshop...hmmmm. Well I guess this gets the idea across.

all crits and comments MOST welcome please.

Peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the colors on the lizard guy. Duke looks a bit flat though. I don't think the background color's working very well, and the greenish highlights on his head aren't really very different from the blue...Try some complementaries maybe?

You might also bump up the contrast. A lot of the dynamic of the black and white version is missing here.

For a really quick fix to the contrast thing, try duplicating your background sketch layer and dropping it on top of the color layer, using vivid or linear light mode. If nothing else that'll show you some interesting possibilities.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Max thanks for stopping by and dropping some crits. Damn I appreciate it!!

Uggh. I have not been feeling well for the last 3 or 4 days. Not much progress because of that. Sore throat killing me. Eh..oh well.

Here is a rework of the duke...trying different colors

And here follow some recent sketches from the old scribble book.

Had to scan this one in 2 parts ..not really feeling like matching the levels on both sides. It will suffice I hope. The four of you who come look at this thread won't mind too much I hope.

I don't know what to say ...I just drew this for fun. I guess.

I like this guy. Don't rightly know why.

Another recent Char. I hope to do some more work on him soon. After not looking at him for a couple of days I notice he has the skinniest legs on earth, not nearly enough meat to hold him up. I will try to work on him soon.

Back to the sore throat medecine and hot tea. Enjoy.

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fractured1
    Hey Max thanks for stopping by and dropping some crits. Damn I appreciate it!!
    np, I enjoy looking at your work. It's fun and educational.

Big improvement on the Duke, looking forward to seeing it finished. Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was what i ment. Line thicknes was what was bothering me, just like it bothers me with my own drawings. I guess the only way to get it looking better is just to draw like hell, like I hope you are doing. Good job on the new stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some great looking creatures in here, as well as some nice progressions, top stuff.

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowzer!
    I woke up this morning finally feeling better. Hooray for the miracle of sleep.
    The body truly is a wonderous machine.
    Now with my rapidly improving mood I will try to get another progression up a little bit later today.

Max1975 Thank you for stopping by and peeking. After changing the colors on the "duke" I had to give you a silent thank you. I feel that the lighting is MUCH better.

Placeboast I think you are doing a pretty good job of working your line weights. Very Cartoony. THX for the observations on my line work. For the most part I have always used the line work I do, just to get to the painting stage. Recently I have really started to try working on it for the sake of really improving the overall piece. As I think it lends a feeling of depth and mass at an early stage in the work.

Nutter Thanks for poking your head in here an looking around. You have some fantastic stuff going on in your SB. I love your characters. Great, fun expression. Thanks for the nice comments.

Well of to do some work related drudgery.

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Survived another day! Woohoo!

Here are a couple of ten min. color sketches. Sat down, set the timer, picked up the Wacom, painted-sketched, ding! Done. Not too bad I suppose. Need to get used to the feel of the digital painting. Less clean up time.

Seabird

Skull Study (No ref.)

And the beat goes on.....

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are 2 interesting speed paints...I especially like the angle of that bird and then seeing it's skull right underneath all laid out nice and flat...that's pretty cool too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Styler Thanks for stopping by and dropping a comment.
    The skull is not meant to be for the bird above. However that gives me a good idea.....hmmmmm. More on that soon. I hope. Always wonderful when somone leaves a comment.

A 25 min Speed this time

Not as good as the others IMO but, that is how we learn huh?

On to the next thing.

Peace.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.