The ringling school of art and design

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight onto this school (like what you think of it, if youve been their). Really, Im wondering whether this school or the art insititute of tampa is better or not. Im deciding between both schools, and I dont like the degree offerings at AIT, and ringling doesnt suit me well either, but it seems more towards traditional arts where as AIT is more about digital, graphic design, animation and game design (which isnt what I want). Sooo, I hope im not too confusing.

Imagination is more important than knowledge

- Einstein
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to both schools and check them out personally. A catalog is just smiling faces and tells you what you want to hear. I think once you do you will find out that you are comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by oOAllyOo
    it seems more towards traditional arts where as AIT is more about digital, graphic design, animation and game design (which isnt what I want). Sooo, I hope im not too confusing.
    Tell us what you do want then.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ally, you didnt per chance go to a highschool called MSA did you?

And I'd suggest RSAD. There are threads about the Arts institutes, mostly negative feedback. And you cant transfer out of AI if you decide you don't like it. You'd have to start over completely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well wassermelon, im actually considering something in character design, but if I cant do that than I know I can think of something else.
    and no pixel dragoon, i didnt go to that high school. But not being able to transfer out really turns me away now, because im was considering on doing that so I can go to SCAD hopefully.

and I think Im going to actually hafta check them out personally. I gotta get off my lazy butt. Thanks for the responses.

- Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stay away from SCAD. Just go to Ringling. It's way better. For 'shizzle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CatHicks
    Stay away from SCAD. Just go to Ringling. It's way better. For 'shizzle.
    But everyone tells me that SCAD is a great school, one of the best in america?

- Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you heard the bad things about SCAD?

You should also skin through the threads already here. Theres some good ringling ones and a few about scad, that point out good and bad.

~Website~

Please find attached one heart, human, removed from my own chest at great personal hardship. It's for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EccoXile
    You should also skin through the threads already here.
    that's painful. don't go about skinning the threads. leave em be cuz CCAD WILL SKIN YA'LL! AND THEN GO ONTO TO SKIN THE THREADS, ALIVE!!!!

NYAH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pardon ma'friends rude behavior

"we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit"
    -Aristotle

my OLD sketchs urban Exploration SITE!
    my BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, about transfers...

Going to SCAD from Ringling sounds awesome, but... pretty huge 'but' btw... will SCAD take the credits? I know a lot of these schools have very specific courses that are not transferrable and, if they are, the next class is only offered during every other semester, which makes timing of a transfer all the more important. If this is what you want to do, I would call up SCAD first and tell them that you want to transfer in and what sort of credits they accept, etc. Get that information before you start.

I'm also wondering if it just wouldn't be better to go to SCAD to start with. Ringling is not a cheap school. Would it be financially the same to go to SCAD from start to finish?

Your first year at Ringling will be CORE classes btw, you won't go into specialization until the second year. Again, make sure SCAD accepts those first year core classes.

As for the whole Art Institute vs. College Programs type of deal... AI's classes and instructors probably won't be is good. I feel that AI just teaches you the software, but lots of the basics that make great artists are left out. Ringling has a great placement program and you should make contacts that carry you quite a ways. However, you get what you put in. I have a friend from AI Ft. Lauderdale and he's better than most at what he does. It's because he puts in 150% and loves what he does. There is something to be said for a name though. Seeing SCAD or Ringling on a resume is better than an AI School in my opinion.

Or be like Puddnhead and work your ass off, be talented, work your ass off, work some more, and just don't finish at Ringling and jump right into the thick of it.

... and knowing is half the battle.

Apathy, the new political party. "Just because it's bad doesn't mean it couldn't be worse.. so in reality we're doing great!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    point to note: SCAD lost it's accreditation a while back for some unscrupulous business practices and I think it just got it back(not sure). I believe it was because of them giving out fraudulent degrees.

Ringling does have concept design but it's a minor. Computer animation has a few courses that deal with it. And the other majors can take Visual Development as a minor.

Also, it doesn't really make much sense to go to a private art school only to transfer to another. It would make much more sense to go to a liberal arts college to get those basic courses out of the way first.

Anyways, I choose Ringling, but I'm biased since I go there.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Denart]that's painful. don't go about skinning the threads. leave em be cuz CCAD WILL SKIN YA'LL! AND THEN GO ONTO TO SKIN THE THREADS, ALIVE!!!!

O_O;;;;;;; Uhhhh...

- Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Books
    Okay, about transfers...

Going to SCAD from Ringling sounds awesome, but... pretty huge 'but' btw... will SCAD take the credits? I know a lot of these schools have very specific courses that are not transferrable and, if they are, the next class is only offered during every other semester, which makes timing of a transfer all the more important. If this is what you want to do, I would call up SCAD first and tell them that you want to transfer in and what sort of credits they accept, etc. Get that information before you start.

I'm also wondering if it just wouldn't be better to go to SCAD to start with. Ringling is not a cheap school. Would it be financially the same to go to SCAD from start to finish?

Your first year at Ringling will be CORE classes btw, you won't go into specialization until the second year. Again, make sure SCAD accepts those first year core classes.

As for the whole Art Institute vs. College Programs type of deal... AI's classes and instructors probably won't be is good. I feel that AI just teaches you the software, but lots of the basics that make great artists are left out. Ringling has a great placement program and you should make contacts that carry you quite a ways. However, you get what you put in. I have a friend from AI Ft. Lauderdale and he's better than most at what he does. It's because he puts in 150% and loves what he does. There is something to be said for a name though. Seeing SCAD or Ringling on a resume is better than an AI School in my opinion.

Or be like Puddnhead and work your ass off, be talented, work your ass off, work some more, and just don't finish at Ringling and jump right into the thick of it.

... and knowing is half the battle.
    Wow, thats alot to think about. But AI is a last minute thing for me, Ive never really liked that school.

I might have to do the calling up thing. Everyones making ringling look better than SCAD and I thought that school was sopposed to be a really good school. Hmm? I guess Ive got more thinking to do than...

- Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sula_nebouxi
    point to note: SCAD lost it's accreditation a while back for some unscrupulous business practices and I think it just got it back(not sure). I believe it was because of them giving out fraudulent degrees.

Ringling does have concept design but it's a minor. Computer animation has a few courses that deal with it. And the other majors can take Visual Development as a minor.

Also, it doesn't really make much sense to go to a private art school only to transfer to another. It would make much more sense to go to a liberal arts college to get those basic courses out of the way first.

Anyways, I choose Ringling, but I'm biased since I go there.

They lost their accredation??? Uh, that worries me a bit. Hmm.

Well I was conidering on taking basic courses in some college somewhere than going to an art school (because someone suggested doing that). It seems like a good idea, but I need to talk it over with a guidance counsler first to see how I can go about doing that.

Ringling is closer to me ( I live in the tampa bay area) than SCAD so that school already has some advantage over SCAD. But yeah, this is alot of useful advice everyone, thank you for the responses!!

- Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take some time at a community college taking as many liberal arts and art history classes as you can,( I would recommend 2 years). Live at home, save up a lot of money, and while you are in Tampa come down to Ringling and a few times and really get a feel for the place. It is a great learning environment and it is in many professional opinions "THE BEST school for computer animation" and it is mainly focused on character animation, but if you want to do concept design the illustration program is also one of the best. You can take a visual development minor, and you will have a full year of building up your basic skills during the core year (this is where it is helpful to have all your liberal arts out of the way, because you can take more drawing classes or whatever you want in your open spaces) Further into the program having open spaces will benefit you even more. I go to Ringling and I highly recommend it. I have been to a 4 year college and I was a video editor. I worked with animators and they recommended Ringling and they went to SCAD. They didn't feel like SCAD offered them as much as they expected, but that was also 5 years ago so things may have changed.

Oh and I spent the better part of 3 years researching schools (including the AI schools, SCAD, Ringling, Cal Arts, Sheridan, and others) and came to the conclusion that for computer animation especially for character animation, Ringling is hands down the best.

My Little Art Blog

THE RINGLING 100

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." --Gandalf

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.