Art: Little Red Riding Hood
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Little Red Riding Hood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Little Red Riding Hood

So I'm relatively new - well as far as posting is concerned. This is a piece I was working on to go along with a story that's in the process of being not-written - it is a process too.

It's arguably the first "abstract" piece I've ever created, which makes it...well, interesting I suppose at least from the conceptual side.

The figures were worked in first. Subsequent play created the shapes that were later modified and turned into the wolves. Incidentally, the red marks for the one wolf's eyes were laid in before I realized the blob would be a wolf - the heart-like shape is entirely coincidental.

I'm not sure this turned out how I wanted it to - in fact, I'm quite sure that I didn't turn out how I wanted it to even though I couldn't /really/ tell you what I expected which isn't too good. Even so, ta-da! or some other half-arsed exclamation of done-ness. My abstracty mess!

Acrylic on red canvas

You should be able to click for a larger version.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda freaky, but I like it. Nice work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not sure what to say. But I like it. The way you depicted the wolf is interesting.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you both liked it! Thanks.
    I've gotta say, the best thing about this piece was the way in which it evolved. It was one of those pieces that you could walk away from and come back to and when you did, you knew what had to be done to it.
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!! is a really good job, i like it a lot!!! when i see the title of the work i expect for some traditional work, but this, is a lot better!! you have in mind of make a few more with anothers characters of the fairy tales?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    personally i don't think those figures should have been implemented that way. But then again, Abstracts are personal, so in your way you got it right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    modernprometheo - I have two more stories that I'm working on although they're all part of a whole. They probably won't be done in this fashion. One of the goals of this series has been to push my art into realms I'm not completely comfortable with - in this case, abstraction. Of course, this piece doesn't even go full abstraction. I guess we'll see. Thanks for your comments!

fl3wk - I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the way the figures turned out. The sketch that was originally used to hash out the figures was a lot more promising. I think what happened was that the idea behind the way the figures were worked wasn't executed as well as I had hoped. The premise behind the girls was originally that the red cloak and not the girl herself had become the cultural symbol for the story - in other words, you see a little girl in a red cloak and it is relatively easy to call her Little Red Ridinghood without outside context. Subsequently, the actual character becomes hopelessly trapped within this symbol-sign relationship losing a lot of her individuality in the process. For this piece, that's something I wanted to emphasize by using the fabric-canvas to define her cloak - it is negative space (nothing) yet it's her all the same etc. I'm sure it made more sense when I thought it out. Unfortuantely, I've never been too good with words when it comes to art.

Thank you both for your crit though! Helps a gal feel a bit more at ease surrounded by so much talent!
    Cheers
    -A

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.