Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rhode Island School of Design

Thanks

Rhode Island School of Design

So anyone from here go to RISD? I'm thinking about transferring over there but I'm curious about their programs. I'd probably be going for illo or any kind of industrial/environmental design.
    Last edited by BlackGuy; October 10th, 2005 at 06:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    There's really nobody applying, going to, or went to RISD here?!

Thanks
    i have lived in rhode island for 3 years, it is a horrible place if you're not rich, white, and snobbish.
    that is just my experience
    and reason enough not to consider risde for me. also the student body that goes there isnt all that dedicated from what i gather its more of those punk kids who think they are photographers and artists. this opinion might be completely wrong, but it is what i have gathered and learned from living in ri. also my dad was a pyschiatrist there, and they had syndrome named after the college...go figure.

Thanks
    i know risd gets some great artists to teach illustration there. Chris van Allsburg has taught there, and my friend took an illustration class that was taught by Jon Foster. And Rhode island isnt that bad!! born and raised there!

mike

Thanks
    My ex goes to RISD and from what I can tell it looks like a great school. Their facilities are great and the curriculum sounds extremely challenging. If you like doing a looot of work then you should look into it. But if you're not really dedicated, chances are you won't get much out of the program. From what I hear, there's lots of people there who are really dedicated to their work, and then there's lots of people who are just there cuz they can afford it. Its also a very design oriented school, so if you're looking for more traditional art, especially painting, look somewhere else.

Thanks
    willow-whisp went there, maybe try getting in touch with her

Thanks
    Hi Gauge, I m a current RISD Illustration senior. The school is very demanding, you won't have a life. RISD is known for having a good liberal arts department which usually separates it from most art schools. Also, Brown university is our sister school, meaning I can take just about every class they have to offer. The Brown facilities are great by the way. As far as the education is concerned, as a transfer student you will lose alot of the RISD experience. I know that the freshman year is possibly the most rigorous Foundation program you may ever find at an art college. We have a "wintersession" program, meaning that you have to take a class during winter break. This is one more added course to keep pushing the student body. As in any school you will find dedicated and less enthusiastic students. I have seen many talented people here and there is a certain sense of competition between everyone that keeps pushing us to progress. A valuable experience. Now for the comment made that RISD isn't known for its painting and traditional art is plain ridiculous. In my dept. you can check the course book and see for yourself the emphasis we have on painting. I haven't painted in about 3 years before returning to RISD and I have made so much progess in only 9 months. I have to strongly disagree with that comment. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.
    Rich

Thanks
    I'm a alumni of the school. I graduated the illustration department. Yes, some of the negative comments are way off base. It amazes me what some people gather about a school. Once you actually enter the art field, working professionally, the reputation of this school is actually lifted quite high. You have to work hard at this school. If you are hoping for a traditional college experience, parties and more parties, this is the wrong school for you. When you graduate, working in the real world will be a peice of cake. At the present I work as a concept artist and 3D modeller for the game industry, so my education wasn't a waste. The concept art community is a new one for RISD grads. You aren't getting the response you want because this industry isn't really a focus point for the school. Most of the graduates are traditional illustrators...not concept, photographers, designers for product companies, sculpters, and fine art painters. Also, the school is small. Only about 3-5 hundred students graduate each year. That doesn't really supply enough people to saturate specific markets. Art Center, on the other hand, pumps out people for entertainment industry. So, you see lots of them. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    I have to agree with Harlequin and voodoochile. RISD grads are probably not well represented here because RISD’s illustration department focuses on traditional story-telling and story-supporting illustration. The whole idea of making art as blueprints for 3D models, sets, costumes, etc., is a subset of illustration that students can choose to explore, but which is not pushed by many of the classes. (This is changing, however)

I graduated from RISD’s illustration department in 2000, and I am now a modeler/texturer/level-builder at a game company. I had gone to RISD to become a book illustrator, but I changed my focus to computer games about half-way through. Since there weren’t many relevant computer courses available to me, I had to wheedle my way into classes taught in the animation department, and otherwise take charge of my own education. I had to teach a couple of my professors what concept art was, so that I could practice it in their classes. I ended up a little shy on the computer skills I needed, but in exchange I gained a solid arsenal of 2D skills, which led to me being hired for a 3D job on the basis of acrylic paintings.

To this day I advise students looking at the games industry to get their education in fine arts while learning the computer tools on the side, rather than going to schools such as Full Sail, that teach the tools, and somehow expect to produce artists without ever seriously teaching them art.

Last year I went back to RISD to be on a panel for discussing new fields that are becoming available to illustration majors. The new department head of Illustration is taking seriously such less traditional areas as concept art and 3D modeling. The illustration department has been adding classes such as Character Design, and Maya classes.

Lastly, I’ll emphasize what the others here have already said: RISD students don’t have a life, because they are working their butts off 24-7. RISD is boot camp for artists. It’s hard to succeed as a professional artist, and a RISD-style work-ethic is extremely helpful in whatever field of art you choose.

If anyone has questions about RISD, I would be happy to (try) to answer.

-michelle
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I have a question: how hard is it to even PAY for RISD? It's a college I'm looking at pretty seriously (I have little to no problems with an art boot camp ^_~), but I have little to no money. What's the tuition like (I don't want numbers, just "you'll have to work like a dog to stay" or "you'll die, forget it")? Is it worth it? ^_~ Thanks -

sarah*

Thanks
    im leaving this weekend for risd for the first time =O

i heard that they can be pricks about financial aid, and ive heard that some people have been told flat out, "you can't afford to come here" but then there are peole who take massive loans and are working their asses off too. =d i guess i should thank my parents for working their asses off...
    oh yeah and black guy, when i visited there they seemed to have really good industrial design facilities, and in the design intelligence ranking, it ranked 4th for industrial design under art center of college and design, university of cincinatti, pratt, and college for creative studies. im not sure how much rankings mean to you, but just giving a heads up

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Hi istarith,
    Tuition at RISD is about $30,000 a year. I know, it’s a metric crap-ton. Student loans are your friend, no matter what college you go to. If you really can’t manage RISD’s tuition, there are other good art schools out there that cost less, such as Cooper Union, and as long as you can keep yourself thinking ahead of your assignments, you can make a good art education into a great art education.

Eliot, what department do you think you’ll pick? Here’s one piece of advice for you: do not cut cardboard after midnight. So many freshmen make that mistake and slice open their hands.

Good luck to both of you,
    Michelle
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Started in illustration my husband graduated in Graphics and then went to grad school in Wisconsin in Printmaking. He says the solid foundation of his education was incredibly important and that came from RISD, He also says even back then, freshman year was helladifficult. but it woulod be hard to catch up transferring in

www.wergerprint.com if you want to see the art he does today

chaos
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast