Rhode Island School of Design

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rhode Island School of Design

So anyone from here go to RISD? I'm thinking about transferring over there but I'm curious about their programs. I'd probably be going for illo or any kind of industrial/environmental design.

Last edited by BlackGuy; October 10th, 2005 at 06:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's really nobody applying, going to, or went to RISD here?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have lived in rhode island for 3 years, it is a horrible place if you're not rich, white, and snobbish.
    that is just my experience
    and reason enough not to consider risde for me. also the student body that goes there isnt all that dedicated from what i gather its more of those punk kids who think they are photographers and artists. this opinion might be completely wrong, but it is what i have gathered and learned from living in ri. also my dad was a pyschiatrist there, and they had syndrome named after the college...go figure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know risd gets some great artists to teach illustration there. Chris van Allsburg has taught there, and my friend took an illustration class that was taught by Jon Foster. And Rhode island isnt that bad!! born and raised there!

mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My ex goes to RISD and from what I can tell it looks like a great school. Their facilities are great and the curriculum sounds extremely challenging. If you like doing a looot of work then you should look into it. But if you're not really dedicated, chances are you won't get much out of the program. From what I hear, there's lots of people there who are really dedicated to their work, and then there's lots of people who are just there cuz they can afford it. Its also a very design oriented school, so if you're looking for more traditional art, especially painting, look somewhere else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    willow-whisp went there, maybe try getting in touch with her

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Gauge, I m a current RISD Illustration senior. The school is very demanding, you won't have a life. RISD is known for having a good liberal arts department which usually separates it from most art schools. Also, Brown university is our sister school, meaning I can take just about every class they have to offer. The Brown facilities are great by the way. As far as the education is concerned, as a transfer student you will lose alot of the RISD experience. I know that the freshman year is possibly the most rigorous Foundation program you may ever find at an art college. We have a "wintersession" program, meaning that you have to take a class during winter break. This is one more added course to keep pushing the student body. As in any school you will find dedicated and less enthusiastic students. I have seen many talented people here and there is a certain sense of competition between everyone that keeps pushing us to progress. A valuable experience. Now for the comment made that RISD isn't known for its painting and traditional art is plain ridiculous. In my dept. you can check the course book and see for yourself the emphasis we have on painting. I haven't painted in about 3 years before returning to RISD and I have made so much progess in only 9 months. I have to strongly disagree with that comment. If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.
    Rich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a alumni of the school. I graduated the illustration department. Yes, some of the negative comments are way off base. It amazes me what some people gather about a school. Once you actually enter the art field, working professionally, the reputation of this school is actually lifted quite high. You have to work hard at this school. If you are hoping for a traditional college experience, parties and more parties, this is the wrong school for you. When you graduate, working in the real world will be a peice of cake. At the present I work as a concept artist and 3D modeller for the game industry, so my education wasn't a waste. The concept art community is a new one for RISD grads. You aren't getting the response you want because this industry isn't really a focus point for the school. Most of the graduates are traditional illustrators...not concept, photographers, designers for product companies, sculpters, and fine art painters. Also, the school is small. Only about 3-5 hundred students graduate each year. That doesn't really supply enough people to saturate specific markets. Art Center, on the other hand, pumps out people for entertainment industry. So, you see lots of them. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with Harlequin and voodoochile. RISD grads are probably not well represented here because RISD’s illustration department focuses on traditional story-telling and story-supporting illustration. The whole idea of making art as blueprints for 3D models, sets, costumes, etc., is a subset of illustration that students can choose to explore, but which is not pushed by many of the classes. (This is changing, however)

I graduated from RISD’s illustration department in 2000, and I am now a modeler/texturer/level-builder at a game company. I had gone to RISD to become a book illustrator, but I changed my focus to computer games about half-way through. Since there weren’t many relevant computer courses available to me, I had to wheedle my way into classes taught in the animation department, and otherwise take charge of my own education. I had to teach a couple of my professors what concept art was, so that I could practice it in their classes. I ended up a little shy on the computer skills I needed, but in exchange I gained a solid arsenal of 2D skills, which led to me being hired for a 3D job on the basis of acrylic paintings.

To this day I advise students looking at the games industry to get their education in fine arts while learning the computer tools on the side, rather than going to schools such as Full Sail, that teach the tools, and somehow expect to produce artists without ever seriously teaching them art.

Last year I went back to RISD to be on a panel for discussing new fields that are becoming available to illustration majors. The new department head of Illustration is taking seriously such less traditional areas as concept art and 3D modeling. The illustration department has been adding classes such as Character Design, and Maya classes.

Lastly, I’ll emphasize what the others here have already said: RISD students don’t have a life, because they are working their butts off 24-7. RISD is boot camp for artists. It’s hard to succeed as a professional artist, and a RISD-style work-ethic is extremely helpful in whatever field of art you choose.

If anyone has questions about RISD, I would be happy to (try) to answer.

-michelle

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question: how hard is it to even PAY for RISD? It's a college I'm looking at pretty seriously (I have little to no problems with an art boot camp ^_~), but I have little to no money. What's the tuition like (I don't want numbers, just "you'll have to work like a dog to stay" or "you'll die, forget it")? Is it worth it? ^_~ Thanks -

sarah*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im leaving this weekend for risd for the first time =O

i heard that they can be pricks about financial aid, and ive heard that some people have been told flat out, "you can't afford to come here" but then there are peole who take massive loans and are working their asses off too. =d i guess i should thank my parents for working their asses off...
    oh yeah and black guy, when i visited there they seemed to have really good industrial design facilities, and in the design intelligence ranking, it ranked 4th for industrial design under art center of college and design, university of cincinatti, pratt, and college for creative studies. im not sure how much rankings mean to you, but just giving a heads up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi istarith,
    Tuition at RISD is about $30,000 a year. I know, it’s a metric crap-ton. Student loans are your friend, no matter what college you go to. If you really can’t manage RISD’s tuition, there are other good art schools out there that cost less, such as Cooper Union, and as long as you can keep yourself thinking ahead of your assignments, you can make a good art education into a great art education.

Eliot, what department do you think you’ll pick? Here’s one piece of advice for you: do not cut cardboard after midnight. So many freshmen make that mistake and slice open their hands.

Good luck to both of you,
    Michelle

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started in illustration my husband graduated in Graphics and then went to grad school in Wisconsin in Printmaking. He says the solid foundation of his education was incredibly important and that came from RISD, He also says even back then, freshman year was helladifficult. but it woulod be hard to catch up transferring in

www.wergerprint.com if you want to see the art he does today

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks
    He also says even back then, freshman year was helladifficult
    now that doesnt make me nervous at all...
    im looking into architecture so i can look forward to all that fun stuff, but i'm hoping the foundation studies might open me up to more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm aslo thinking of transfering, RISD is definetly on the top of my list.

Right now i'm at a State University, simply because I didn't have to pay for it. But the art program is only mediocre so i'm using this year to build up my portfolio. I'm really not worried about trying to play catch up though, I know my work ethic and I could handle anything.

How is the Graphic Design program if you don't mind me asking? According to a recent article I read it was rated as number 1 in the country for undergraduates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Robin-eleven – as far as I know (being an illustration major) the graphic design department is great. I was impressed with the work I saw the students there doing.

Eliot – oh, don’t worry. Freshman year is a breeze compared to the architorture department. The students emerge from that building about every week or so. ;-)

The work-load isn’t something to be worried about, actually. It’s a good thing, because it whips you into shape for life as an artist. I’m not sure I’ll ever have to work as hard as I did when I was in college, which is a relief. :-P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Somebody PM’d me to ask questions about RISD. I’m going to post my answers here for anybody else wondering about the school.

1. What kind of programs did you guys use?

Programs? Not many. RISD focuses on teaching academic fine arts skills. While I was there the illustration department offered classes in Photoshop and Painter. They now have a Maya class as well, and there may be classes that involve other programs. At any rate, a program is just a tool, and they teach tools only secondarily to teaching skills.

2. Are the professors uptight about what they teach. I mean will they let you explore your own creativity or do you have to do what they want and how they want it?

Some are, some aren’t. With any art school, you have to figure out what your goal is and you have to make sure that you get yourself to that goal. That’s going to involve butting some heads with teachers on occasion. If you want a longer rant on this topic, read this.

As a couple examples, I had one Freshman teacher who gave us a two-week assignment, the entire set of instructions consisting of the word “blue”. He imposed no limitations whatsoever, offered friendly advice on whatever we decided to explore, and I produced one of the best paintings that I had ever done. A few of the students twiddled their thumbs, and a few produced very large, memorable, and strange pieces of art.

Another teacher I had Freshman year gave us the semester-long assignment to pick a sculptor and make exact reproductions of his or her work – enough copies to make an entire set of chess-pieces. He was terrifying – I was convinced that if I did not have the whole set made then my head would be on a stake. I chose an artist whose work I knew I could reproduce well, rather than because I was honestly interested in learning from that artist. The teacher gave me a lousy critique and an A, and after that disappointment I started to realize that I needed to be using the assignments to chase and defend my own goals, not just the teacher’s. Getting an A out of fear wasn’t going to teach me what I needed. This was reinforced by an impromptu lecture from a third Freshman teacher of mine, who told our class that “sometimes you must say ‘fuck you’ to the teacher.” It turned out to be an effective strategy for making good use of classes taught by overbearing teachers.

Despite the bad critique of my chess-set, I had many professors at RISD who gave magnificent critiques.

3. Where you able to work and still study, or was the work an overkill?

If you mean, was I able to do work above and beyond what was required for classes, then yes. I got involved heavily with one of the Brown University student newspapers, and I practiced aikido all through college. It’s all about time management. Any single class could take absolutely all of your time if you let it. It’s up to you how much time you devote to each class. And how much time you devote to a class should depend on how relevant that class is to reaching your own goals.

4. Was the school small? (I like small :])

2000 students, if I remember correctly. That was half the size of my highschool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'Sent off my RISD application last week (bike and all)! Wish me luck!
    I'm still not sure where I'm going to go, but RISD is pretty high on my list. My grandparents think it's a "crazy Liberal school," but I like what I've heard about the work ethic there. I have no idea how I'd pay tuition, but that's why I'm applying to about eight or nine other schools besides RISD.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD LUCK!!! :-)

Of course it's a crazy liberal school! That's just part of art schools. ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    GOOD LUCK!!! :-)

Of course it's a crazy liberal school! That's just part of art schools. ;-)
    Aha Thanks! I tried to tell them that most art schools teach "liberal arts." ;D

Ah, but I know what you mean. I'd rather be around art students any day whatever my relatives think. I go to an arts magnet HS, and I definately like it better than regular HS. Regular college is just not for me either. Mindless parties and football games...just erg, no.

portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RISD seems like a very good school, but it seems that everyone (majority) are into the illustration and graphic department. What about animation, is anyone doing that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by x_xinsomnia
    RISD seems like a very good school, but it seems that everyone (majority) are into the illustration and graphic department. What about animation, is anyone doing that?
    The Film/Video/Animation department is much smaller than the illustration or graphic design departments, so I'm not surprised that you have heard from fewer of those graduates. But from what I've seen it's a good department. There was some cross-departmental stuff going on with animation students taking illustration courses, and vice-versa, but in order to do that you have to demonstrate to the staff that it's more than a passing fancy to try out what the other department is doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great to hear that RISD is still teaching traditional skills! I really needed to hear some POSITIVE things about existing programs. However, it does seem shocking that tuition is so high. Cooper Union is in NYC - and its very, very expensive to live there. I still believe that education should be available to talented, hard working people, no matter what their economic situation is. Even with affordable tuition, I needed scholarship help to get my art education, which probably explains my passion to keep Max the Mutt as affordable as possible (without compromising the quality of education). We have graduates who really had a hard time paying our tuition, which is about 1/3 what's charged for equal quality education in the US. They are dedicatd artists and will contribute to popular culture. Its our loss every time somone with passion and talent is prevented from going after his/her dream because they can't afford it! What a waste. All of you - who are so much younger than I am- should make a vow that when you're successful, you'll "pass the baton," Either teach, or work to help deserving, talentd individuals get oportunity - do something to leave the world a little better than you found it. Good luck and success to all of you - and Happy New Year!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine Schacker
    it does seem shocking that tuition is so high.
    Everyone says RISD is so expensive. The tuition is about 30,000+ Thats the same for SCAD right?
    I have to agree though; it sucks when people who are very dedicated have to pay so much. Oh well thats life I guess. Art schools are always expensive; just the other day I bought a $11 paint brush

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its not just RISD I'm speaking about. Its what I'm hearing about the cost of education everywhere. Alternatives will begin to exist as a response to need - at least, I hope that's what will happen. For vocations that don't really belong in academia to begin with, that aren't governed by licensing, the potential exists for alternative schools , offering high quality education ,to spring up. The tuition will cost, but not nearly what universities are charging. I hope we'll provide a model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone from RISD went into the film/video/animation degree?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am quite envious of that you guys can take liberal arts classes at Brown I would so use that. I wish Ringling had a really nice sister university like that were could do that. I would love to take some political science classes at Brown.

Aren't private schools in general just down right expensive? Because they're..private and don't get any kind of money from the government which makes them so darned expensive?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was nice to take courses at Brown, but extremely difficult. It wasn't that the classes were hard, it was that the scheduling for Brown classes versus scheduling for RISD classes don't mix to well. That is the challenge when taking a class at Brown.

I recently visited Providence to walk down memory lane. Let's just say new RISD students are so lucky with some of the new facilities and the growth of Providence's downtown. If you ever visit you have to go to Spikes Hotdogs on Thayer street. Best hot dogs you will ever eat. It makes me hungry just thinking of them.

Anyway, good luck to any of you presently attending or applying to RISD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, BlackGuy, what did you decide to do?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I've asked before, but has anyone taken or is currently in the Film/Video/Animation department? I plan to apply to RISD and SCAD by the end of this year hopefully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1