Art: Night Air
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Night Air

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Night Air

Well, after how long many countless hours this took me, I'm finally finished with it, and am well pleased with the results!

In case this is your first time seeing this, I referenced 'Remus' from UT 2003 and sketched him out in photoshop, then digitally painted him in Photoshop 6. And the clouds were painted in 16 hours (oy!). I cheated on the stars and the moon type thing using Flaming Pears Glitterato and Lunar Cell.
    But who cares? It got the job done.
    Then the buildings took me somewhere around 3-4 hours, and I'm still not completely happy with them, but I've fiddled with them enough now.

I've added some of my own little twists from the original, but pretty much Remus is the same from the screen shot.

I'm entering this into a competition where a crap-load of highschool students submit any digital work (websites, music, etc.) and then we go to the designated area and the works are displayed, and we find out who is the winner.

Anyway, let me know what you think!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, like uh, is anyone going to reply or what? It kinda hurts when there is 0 replies and 100 views.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ok chief heres a reply!

Perspective is way off!

Use more foreshortening!

Lots of lighting issues!

Use a reference. Acctually get someone to take a photo of you from a similar angle and use it! Never really a good idea to do a sketch of a sketch. Cause then you just have an impression of an impression. If that makes since.

Will give you credit on the moon and sky right above him. that looks nice but below him is just thrown on.

Main thing I can tell you is work on perspective and foreshortening.

"the earth speaks to all of us, and if you listen you can understand it."
    Uncle Pom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first thoughts are- perspective shots like that are always hard to paint. There is a lack of a defineable shilouhuette that makes the difference between a strong composition and a chaotic one. There are some fundamentally difficult problems you've stacked against yourself- the foreshortening or the fish-eye lens, cockaroach point of view you've chosen doesn't focus on what makes the character cool- my eye was drawn immediately to the kneed pad in the foreground- rather than any defineable aspect of the character- unless the knee pad is what makes this guy the coolest guy on the block you've missed the mark on what would make this a stand-out piece- you could "chop out" the figure more or knock the background away so your guy doesn't bleed into the background (which is beautifully rendered)

Nice rendering- good technique- keep at it- I would move on to the next piece rather than trying to salvage this one.

John

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.