Is Orlando a drawing education wasteland?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am moving to Orlando soon and I am wondering if anyone knows of any good drawing clubs or stdios to take lessons. I am going to take classes at UCF and get this summer, but I really believe I could find better instruction. Please help me. I don't want to end up in the World of Disney and have no where to better my drawing ability. I have searched the internet so far, but I can't find anything in Orlando. Currently I am at FSU in Tallahassee getting my business degree. Getting Married this summer and moving to Orlando. In need of assistance!

Last edited by Hett15; April 13th, 2008 at 10:53 AM.
    My Little Art Blog

THE RINGLING 100

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." --Gandalf
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i went to UCF my freshman year. i took art history there but since i was a freshman and had last pick on everything every art class was full. though i cant comment on the classes, a lot of the work i saw displayed on the walls were pretty good. i'm not aware of any other schools or drawing studios to my knowledge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I live in orlando and yeah its basicly artisticly dead......the best thign for you is to join up with oval.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, no offense, but I posted this about 2 years ago... Things have changed. iam now married and living in Sarasota going to the Ringling School of Art and Design for Computer Animation. I love it here.

My Little Art Blog

THE RINGLING 100

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." --Gandalf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    teehee...this made me giggle.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to hear you aren't throwing it all away to move to Orlando. Who would finish the sound room?

Even though this is an old thread, FYI, there is a little place in Winter Park called Crealde School of Art (http://www.crealde.org/). I took a night class there many years ago. If you weren't looking for it you would surely miss it.

OYCM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so nowwwwwww you tell me... thanks OYCM, could have used that a few years ago!

and the sound room is nearing completion. A little foam here, a hole in the wall there, step on a roach or two and wammo! A fully functioning sound booth!

My Little Art Blog

THE RINGLING 100

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't Orlando full of hordes of homeless, desperate ex-Disney animators who would teach you how to draw for a six-pack and a tuna sandwich?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The art scene is Orlando is not all rat driven!

I went to UCF's art school and its pretty good. The school isint focused on art and it shows. Valencia is a good alternative and the Graphic Design program is excellent. There is an art center in Mt Dora but their prices are high and also an art center in Winter Park called Crealde, their prices are a bit high too. I run a pottery studio in Orlando. I also teach design and drawing from time to time. My prices are cheaper than the above mentioned and I think the classes I offer are as high a quality. My website is www.superawesomecool.org. I have a friend who owns a Mosaic art studio as well and her site is called www.peaceittogethermosaics.org. I am not trying to advertise necessarily I just wanted you to know that there are some smaller cheaper alternatives to College class prices or an Art Center. I know this post is old, but I think Orlando has a great art scene with a lot of instruction available. I think it gets overlooked a lot because of the tourist industry. I would also like to say that working for the Rat isin't all that great. You are treated a lot like there are people standing behind you waiting to fill your spot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

No and I would love to teach you from novice to mastery of graphite drawing. Email me at godzpower@gmail.com if you would like to improve your drawing skills. Other art classes available in my Lake Mary studio. A new drawing class is about to begin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm from Orlando. I can tell you that it's horrible. I can't find any life drawing sessions in the entire city without paying 300$ for something like 8 weeks. Which is 2 months for 300$ worth of a nude model. Wat.

I want to get out of this Hell-hole pretty soon .

Quote Originally Posted by OneYouCannotMention View Post
    Glad to hear you aren't throwing it all away to move to Orlando. Who would finish the sound room?

Even though this is an old thread, FYI, there is a little place in Winter Park called Crealde School of Art (http://www.crealde.org/). I took a night class there many years ago. If you weren't looking for it you would surely miss it.

OYCM

AAAND this is what I'm talking about. 300$ for a short amount of time. I don't need a damn figure drawing teacher, I have Bridgman for that! There are no nude drawing studios around here!

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there i live in orlando. and i have only found 2 nude life drawing sessions in town. One is in Maitland art center cost $15 (once a week) to attend but the use the same models over and over so Theres is no variety and the people there tend to be older, which would be fine...but they like to do 4 hour poses literally every time.

The other one is Cradle $10 on sunday mornings, haven't attended yet but i hear they got pretty good models.

Other than that there is also the occasional drink and draws around town, but those can be sort of distracting since most people attending are there for socializing and booze more than drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    I'm from Orlando. I can tell you that it's horrible. I can't find any life drawing sessions in the entire city without paying 300$ for something like 8 weeks. Which is 2 months for 300$ worth of a nude model. Wat.

I want to get out of this Hell-hole pretty soon .

AAAND this is what I'm talking about. 300$ for a short amount of time. I don't need a damn figure drawing teacher, I have Bridgman for that! There are no nude drawing studios around here!
    Deadlyhazard,
    I don't know if it's still available but under course descriptions can be found:

"PD030 Open Studio: Figure
    with Terri Rickerson; Spring
    Friday, 1:00–3:30 p.m. Studio 1A
    Students work in any medium from a live model who holds one pose the entire session. No instruction provided. Needs 5 pre-registered students.
    Fee: $70 for eight weeks or $10 per session

PD031 Open Studio: Life Drawing
    with Paul McNear; Spring
    Sunday, 10:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Studio 1A
    Students work from a live model. Session begins with quick gestures, moving to longer poses. No instruction provided. No pre-registration needed but membership in Crealdé is encouraged.
    Fee: $10 per session

PD032 NEW Open Studio: P&D
    with Daryl Golden; Spring
    Monday, 1:00–4:00 p.m. Studio 1A
    and/or… with Chere Force; Winter & Spring
    Thursday, 9:00 a.m.–12:00 Studio 1B
    Need a place to paint away from home? Join us!
    Fee: $90 for 8 weeks."

Orlando is not a small city. I live in a tiny rural city. When I found lifedrawing... it was being held in a barn... yes, a barn.

You would be surprised where you can find lifedrawing classes. I think I called every museum, gallery, art league, community college and community center in a 50 mile radius before I found a class... there has GOT to be something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDevil View Post
    Hi there i live in orlando. and i have only found 2 nude life drawing sessions in town. One is in Maitland art center cost $15 (once a week) to attend but the use the same models over and over so Theres is no variety and the people there tend to be older, which would be fine...but they like to do 4 hour poses literally every time.

The other one is Cradle $10 on sunday mornings, haven't attended yet but i hear they got pretty good models.

Other than that there is also the occasional drink and draws around town, but those can be sort of distracting since most people attending are there for socializing and booze more than drawing.
    You should check out crealde. I've to the sunday figure drawing w/ Paul Mcnear many times. They do 2 minute poses, then 5 minute poses, then end with three 20 minute poses. Much much better than doing 4 hour ones (:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'PD030 Open Studio: Figure
    with Terri Rickerson; Spring
    Friday, 1:00–3:30 p.m. Studio 1A
    Students work in any medium from a live model who holds one pose the entire session. No instruction provided. Needs 5 pre-registered students.
    Fee: $70 for eight weeks or $10 per session
    '

That actually sounds pretty good. I wonder if you can register at any time with Crealde, or if you have to wait until summer 'til you get another session. Hmmm.

edit: Nvm cool shows the dates on another area of the page

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; March 2nd, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am looking around Orlando, too!

Hello.

Here are some resources I found online:

Crealdé School of Art
    600 St. Andrews Boulevard
    Winter Park, FL 32792
    vblanfordcrealde.org 407-671-1886
    Uninstructed
    Open Studio: Life Drawing - Sunday, 10:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m. Studio 1A, Students work from a live model. Session begins with quick gestures, moving to longer poses. No instruction provided. No pre-registration needed but membership in Crealdé is encouraged. Fee: $6 per hour ($15 per session) to drop in.
    [E]

N.U.N.Sketch (Notorious Un Named Sketchclub)
    929 W. Fairbanks Ave.
    Winter Park, FL 32789
    Sketchybroadsgmail.com
    Uninstructed
    We are a costumed multi-model sketch club that meets once a month (typically the 3rd Wednesday of the month), from 5:30 - 8 p.m. Length of poses varies from 1 min short poses to 20 min long poses and is largely dependent on the mood of the group. Our first half hour usually consists of short poses. Fee schedule is as follows: $5 for the last 2 hours of longer poses. $7 for the full 2.5 hours of poses. $10 if you are taking reference photos or are practicing photography (this also includes the full 2.5 hours of sketching).

Members who have read this thread: 1