Strange "golem" concept

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Strange "golem" concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Strange "golem" concept

Hello, i been kinda free latelly so i used somne of my time to train myself into creating more stuff for my portfolio , of cource is easyer if you keep a bunch of pictures in the same context, so i made the context and i got a little carried away. Long story short, im developing the entire concept, wish is quite a lot, here are the first ones finished:

Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept

I hope i got them right , Thanks for your time in advance

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those look like really fun concepts. Not sure waht you want critiqued though? seems like solid work to me.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The wasp one doesn't fit in.
    Some of these are compelling beyond belief. I SO want to know the story behind them and their creation as golems...but a few are more the alien/robotic creature or game opponent, particularly towards the end.

You might consider compiling 25-30 or so into a book, each with it's own title and description...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the fat purple one is really cool. The wooden samurai is okay also. But the other two? Just not selling it. Golems, I thought, were these immense walking fortress-like constructs with thick bodies. Uhm... I don't have much other crit for you, with this art style it's kind of hard to tell you "what you're doign 'wrong'".

Edit: Actually, the wasp and the round crab thing with the green eyes are really good too. I particularly like the wasp because it sells the feeling of weight with all the chunky parts, but it looks really magical because it's held together invisibly. (sorry madster. I can't see what you do , I guess.)

Last edited by Threshold; October 8th, 2005 at 10:47 PM. Reason: missed three pictures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AmmishCommy: Thanks a lot , you put a big smile on my face.

Madster: Yup yup, i know what you mean, the reason of this differences between them is because i created some sort of different factions based in other cultures within the concept world, making first a good representation of each faction.

For that matter each golem is created in a different way, the world concept haves different natures based on elements ( tipical, but i did my homework about it and created a nice element circle to go with it). Most characters are based on "fay", and the forms,function, construction and faction are based on this characters. here are some short explanation of each:

The wooden warrion, based on Bokwus, some kind of "ent" that draws to his home the spirits of people that have drowned; I looked some graffical reepresentations of this fay, but all i could find was some sort of leafless wilow, of cource i needed a cliche strong forest protector, and make him absorb water magic because of the original characteristic the mythic bokwus haves.

Second one is based in Bendith y mamau "fay", wish is supose to be really ugly and swaps her´s ugly children for pretty human ones, despite that, she protects and takes really good care of the human baby, so i reepresented that concept with a big armor and a smaller one as magic caster......uis the ticical heavy strong one protecting the powerfull weak one concept.

The dog looking one is based on Barguest, a Bogie spirit that shapeshift to a shaggy dog with horns, i didnt liked the idea of having a dog with horns, because is useless if you think in practical tems, so i reepresented only the dog part, and instead of horns i `placed something a little more effective and agressive, like an hatchet type blade in his forehead.

The wasp looking one is based on the fay "Asrai", this one looked like a typical faery, but her characteristic was that she fades in water, so i though in prisms to make that possible, so this one could reflect light sometimes by coating itself, making itself invisible, or creating mirages and copys of itslef, and also use the prisms to shoot light rays, etc

The weird one with green eyes is based in an Antropophegi, is supose to be a human eater spirit that haves no head, no nose, but his mouth and eyes are in his torso;

The one with the big head and shinny blades wasnt based in anything, i was trying to make the cliche magical type ( cliches are nessesary sometimes)

And the last one is based on a Hag called Corrigan, i dont know mcuh about this particular character exapt for the fact that is a hag that prettends to be beautyfull first, so i just kept the name and make something almos unrelated to the concept only because i failed to acomplish the concept i wanted

This Golems are made by different magical creatures, some more magical, some more technological ( in a fantasy steam machine kind of way); Aslo some will look forged like empty armors, mobile totems,etc...

I already have around 40 "Golem" concepts sketched with their unique function, description, habilitys and backround, so ill try to make my explanations more solid as i finish and post the rest.

Threshold: Thanks .

BTW, im just using the most basic concept of golem, wish is to craft something innanimate without life to place under the crafter service, The big stone golem concept, despite is the most popular, is just one way to put it. The big golem protectors are from the Jewish mythology, but similar concepts exist in other mythologys using different names or materials, so im just using the diccionary term of golem to enclose them all in the concept world.

Thank you all, ill make some more and post them in here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are really fun designs. If these are for your portfolio, I'd suggest finishing them up a bit more to balance out the softness and sometimes low-res look that they have with some crisper edges in a few focal areas. The thing that bothers me the most about these is that the backgrounds look like they were slapped on with a quick choppy swipe of an airbrush. Also, why not ground the characters to their backgrounds? This is sort of happening on the 2 with reddish bkgs but only a little. Again, great designs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your art is so sweet, man. These are wonderful, thanks for sharing them. My personal favorite is the second one, I just love how you used highlights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like the art from one of those card games, like duel masters or something.

Anyway, I love these. My favorite is definetly 3 and 4. I don't really have any crits. Just thought I'd pop in with my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm rather busy these days trying to get some jobs worked out, and getting my own personal work done. However, I thought I would just give a quick suggestion:

Backgrounds- if they were less saturated in color and had some interesting designs/textures or minor details the characters would Pop out and become much more interesting. I think the backgrounds right now are detracting from the focuz of the characters/creatures. You also have to know when to "break" some rules especially in these kind of situations where your utilizing the background light to bring focus and contrast to your characters. A good example of this is wherever your characters lightest side is...you should have darker colors in the background around that area..and the opposite for the shadow areas of your character; being brighter in the background.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deschaps :Thank you, that was quite ussefull, im grounding the older ones and fix some issues, some detail seem like made from plastilina.
    Damster : , thanks a lot, you pumped out my confidence a lot.
    StealthNachos : Yes, i though about making a character presentation similar to that one, glad you noticed.
    MIKECORRIERO :Thanks you for your time, ill take that into consideration for the rest, still learning about that, mostly i make a lot of mystakes with characters and backround, so for now ill folow the rules untill i nail them completly, ill apply your suggestion to the next bunch of characters, im sure you are 120% right about this

Here are some edits, fixing some details, addin some other plus 2 new ones, also some characters are not longer floating in their backround ( unless they intend to float)
    Thanks for your support and sorry for not replying later, i had to do some spring cleaning in my house XD.

Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting concept.
    I love them all.

Other than that.. I have nothing else to say.
    Nothing to critic.
    But Mikecorriero have a good point about the backgrounds.

Though, since it's for your portfolio, you might want to refine them more.
    The only example I have is with the dog-like one. The lower part of the blade on his head could use some more work, very minor though. The coloring seems a bit quick. On the higher part of it, the color isn't recovering completely and in the lower part, we can see some brush lines. As for his shadow on the ground.

Very minor things though, but I thought you may want to heard it anyway.

Last edited by Althael; October 10th, 2005 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are badass! Some crits though, as stated before, refine the blade on the dogs head, The way it tapperes in at the end grant the illusion that it's bending dramatically to perspetive along with being curved, which sort of throws off the perspective for me. Try to either widen the end of it a bit, or take some shine off, which is also serving to make it seem like it's curved out further into the light than should be.

Plant the dog, he seems to be floating, give him a stronger immediate cast shadow. Same goes for the metroid/exoskelliton/violet looking alien(also, add some better highlights to the fingers of the arm closer to us since, at the moment, they seem to be receding considerably further back into space when compared with the knee with it's massive shine.

The gramps/woods/teal figure also need a better explained shadow, looks like it's floating. Underneath the main body even though the underbelly is pure pitch black. the ground doesn't really reflect the fact all too well.

Alright, too tired, have to go to bed and get up early for zi schooool

The academy... *sigh* what a harsh mistress.

Excellent work man, I love the flare and refreshing originality.

-ras...Dasa!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow these are really awesome. I love the designs fro them,really interesting and origional. As for crits, I cant really think of anything besides making them pop out of their backgrounds, for example if the golem's main color is blue, you dont want the golem to have a blueish background, you want him to completely pop out.

Last edited by Eytan; October 12th, 2005 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Althael: , thanks, ill work on the dog and the rest of the undefined pic.
    rasdasa: Got the point on the dog, ill fix it; The weid armor with the red glowing stuff in it also needs a better shadow and some fix on the fingers and armlet as you said; The forest old guy came up to dark, ill try to fix the contrast.
    Quick Sketch: Ill try to change the hues a little more...tho unoriginal?...well yes they are, ill make the first row of characters a little cliche, to make a more solid concept ( total so far, 36 characters, first row, 18)

Thank you all , ill fix all the problems mentioned, and keep myself from making the same mystakes in the next characters.

BTW, let me know if you can see all the pics, they might be to much and some might not appear, they are 15 so far, and 16 with this one:

Strange "golem" concept

I tryed to make what Mike suggested, hope i got it, also i shaped the backround a little bit, but i really shoudnt make a full detailed backround at this point, to many characters left ( and it wasnt my intention in the first place), so i hope is enought detail to look a little more interesting, but not enought to make it more than a character showcase pic

Last edited by Shamagim; October 11th, 2005 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool concepts, reminds me of old school platform games like megaman, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Althael: , thanks, ill work on the dog and the rest of the undefined pic.
    rasdasa: Got the point on the dog, ill fix it; The weid armor with the red glowing stuff in it also needs a better shadow and some fix on the fingers and armlet as you said; The forest old guy came up to dark, ill try to fix the contrast.
    Quick Sketch: Ill try to change the hues a little more...tho unoriginal?...well yes they are, ill make the first row of characters a little cliche, to make a more solid concept ( total so far, 36 characters, first row, 18)

Thank you all , ill fix all the problems mentioned, and keep myself from making the same mystakes in the next characters.

BTW, let me know if you can see all the pics, they might be to much and some might not appear, they are 15 so far, and 16 with this one:

Strange "golem" concept

I tryed to make what Mike suggested, hope i got it, also i shaped the backround a little bit, but i really shoudnt make a full detailed backround at this point, to many characters left ( and it wasnt my intention in the first place), so i hope is enought detail to look a little more interesting, but not enought to make it more than a character showcase pic

Tone down that background. If you squint the bottom right foreground and the background are almost the same tone, it's throwing off the atmospheric perspective. Try to darken the background considerably while keeping it desaturated, and saturate the bottom right forground where light might be hitting in the immediate area, it would make sense since he himself is strongly illuminated.
    The cast shadow seems as though it should be shifted over to the right a bit
    Also, darken the cast shadow closer to it's feet foot.

character= Bad ass

-rasdasa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg dude i dont know why i said that, im really sorry, i swear i meant to say origional. im so sorry, thats never happened before.

typo typo typo
    sorry again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick_Sketch
    wow these are really awesome. I love the designs fro them,really interesting and origional.
    omg dude i dont know why i said that, im really sorry, i swear i meant to say origional. im so sorry, thats never happened before.
    typo typo typo
    sorry again
    LOL!
    I think he really means "origional," no matter how hard he protests!

These are looking really sharp, Shamagim! It will be fun to see the entire series when completed. Thank you for the 'origional' backstories. It always adds another dimension to such works...

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

typo typo typo
    sorry again
    Hahaha, dont worry about it, dint felt insulted or anything similar, actually to say something is original is to exagerate in my opinion, and i made this ones bsed in already standard characters ( exept the for Asrai y Bendith, i really like those XD)

Anyways ill try to improbe the backrounds of all the characters, but first ill try to make an ilustration for my mother´s bithday, ill post it in this seccion later ( and is related to this conceptual world)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perfect, you nailed exactly what I was talking about. The lighter side of the character with the darker background and the lighter part of the background with the darker side of the character = better contrast and makes the character pop out more, and the subtle hints of shadows by his feet and subtle background details works sooo much more effectivley, especially with the less saturated background. I'm really glad to see the results of you following my advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, just thought I would share with you a paint over on how to further add some interest to the image and to further push the lighting.
    In the green areas in #1 I have changed things like adding grass using one of the preset grass brushes..just to stay away from flat green like the original in #2 for comparison. I have also added a few branches that fade off into the darkness and in the far distance/background just added a few marks to make the fade from forground to background flow more smoothly. I added a shadow behind the figure based on the light source to fill up the empty green space and the darker green patches in the bottom left and bottom right will bring more focus to the character and break up the square shape of the canvas. In #1 you will also see where I circled things in blue- these are areas where I softended the hard black/shadowy edge of the character by using desaturated greens and purples on the hat and back of the characters body arms and legs. This will help to make him fit into the image better as well as allow for the side of the figure in shadow to stand out without being totally in silloughette.

So take a look at the quick paint over in comparison to the original which is number #2. I also presented your original in black and white which is always a good thing to do to figure out if your values are working, making sure that it works as a b&w image as well as in color. So you make sure that you have an equal balance of blacks, greys and whites, so that the image isn't too dull, but I think it looks pretty good in b&w.

Last edited by Mike Corriero; May 27th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG Mike!, the paint over looks great O_O, the only sad thing is that i might not be able to match it, but i´ll certainly try my best, as i said before " i still dont know much about backrounds and their relation with the characters interacting in it", but your advice helps me jump a huge leap forward, for that "Thank you very much"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mike for indirectly helping us all out, great advice!

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whicked info Mike, thank you.

-rasdasa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of, what i hope to call, finished concepts from the ones you already saw, im actually working in a lot more, plus some more commitions and my mother´s birthday present, so i have some sketch to show in my sketchbook for now, now the pics:

Strange "golem" concept Strange "golem" concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something about the pose of the last one strikes me like a runway model...Put some spike heels on those boots, tailor the crotch for less "wedgie" wrinkles, give the creature a bit more "breastial enhancement," and it would make a great interstellar Fashion Week piece...lol!
    Nice work on these. Your color palette is very easy on the eye, without becoming "blah."

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done, the big head spunkster on the right sort of reminds me of a trickster goat man, because his legs dip back in a more bestial manner and simply because of the attitud he is exhuding, like madster said, a sort of posh model, etc...

The robo crouched on the left is alright, the perspective if off though, his hands seems almost the same size while the right elbow is significantly largers than his left elbow(our view left), even though we're working with foreshortening it still doesn't totally make up for the fact that it seems unbalanced to the right.

-ras

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting theme. Characters can become heroes of cartoon films.
    You probably love a fantasy?

http://www.pavel-lyakhov.ru/rus/enews.html
    art is the beautiful circle of live and death.....ha-ha-ha-ha

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.