Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Online friends vs Real Life Friends.

I was talking with my roommate about this.. and i thought it was an interesting subject to bring up here. Now I may not chat on AIM with anyone from CA, but you guys all are high up in my book. But the friends i have made online I tend to be MUCH closer to mentally and emotionally then in real life.

Typically, men and women online have no gender for me. I talk to people and when i open up to them, they open up to me. But i real life.. men refuse to open up, and women tend to assiciate love with this. So i have made some women in real life fall for me by being open, and made a lot of guy friends uncomfortable with it. Online though, everything seems to just be cool.

How has this been for you all? Have you found yourselves getting closer to people in real life or online? Honestly i think it is interesting how the same person changes once typing on AIM vs talking to a person face to face.

My work: [link]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Online is the easy way out.
    Go outside! The sun isn't thaaaat bright

Thanks
    I dont mean as an escape, just comparing people in the different situations.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    I´ve never gotten so close with anyone on the internet. I think it´s that way because I like talking to people better face to face, I can have more interaction on a diffrent level, a level which you can´t have by voice/IM conversations.

I think you open up to people on the internet better because you will probaly never see them and therefore you can say anything you want. You will probaly never have to take the consequences.

Thanks
    Profil's right, I think, although I tend to act the same online as I would in real life.

90% of the people I have on IM lists are people I know locally or have met in person before, anyway.

That doesn't mean there aren't a whole bunch of you I think are really cool around here, though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    My friends from real-life all owe me money.

Thanks
    i hate all you essy cunts, online or off

Thanks
    Hmmm.

I think I value my "IRL" relationsips more than the ones I maintain with online friends, with one or two exceptions. Like Mop, most people on my buddy list are people I have met IRL or are my friends already.

My stronger online relationships are not limited to just the internet though; eventually there are phonecalls or Ichat to help bridge the gap and well, people are people, no matter how you meet them.

As for "open-ness", it's absolutely easier for me to be more open with an online friend than with a friend in person. Not having a face-to-face takes away a lot of pressure and fear of judgment for me. I need to work on that... interpersonal skills are a good thing and shouldn't get rusty.

Thanks
    I find online conversations very different from real life conversations. There is so much more you can say online and your thoughts are clearer without emotion, you have references and you have time to say what you need/want the way you want to without errors (things can be edited refined and honed to illustrate precisely what you mean - I am not a great public speaker so thus I can appreciate the freedom I get from being able to write things down in a consice manner without emotions getting in the way)- best of all you don't get interrupted! I find that intellectually I am closer to people online (with a few exceptions) but emotionally I am closer to people in real life. There is nothing better than to sit around with old friends and joke and laugh and feel their life, their warmth, their honesty and the sincerity of the situation. It's very refreshing.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    I've had cyber-sex with everyone on here, and none of you even know!

(why does the perv look like a nerd?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPalida
    I find online conversations very different from real life conversations. There is so much more you can say online and your thoughts are clearer without emotion, you have references and you have time to say what you need/want the way you want to without errors...
    True, but there is that fatal flaw of online conversations where sarcasm is IMPOSSIBLE to detect. I've started arguments, hurt feelings and overall gotten into trouble because I can't read sarcasm online. There needs to be a universal font we can all use that identifies any statement as sarcastic!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls
    I've had cyber-sex with everyone on here, and none of you even know!

(why does the perv look like a nerd?)

when you fly solo i think the correct term is "cyber-masturbation".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1