• scumgrinder

5 5.05%
  • eliWolff

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Brokenspirit... great crits comin' out of you!

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Yodaah: There was a discussion about that also in the "COW summer break" thread
    How there should also be a seperate poll for the concept story etc.

@Fozzy: will this still get implemented?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    broken spirit: about the crit you gave me. i agree with you. Well spoken, as you can see from the time i posted it it was a last minute entry. The concept is young and undeveloped.

however, try inverting it yourselfe. I have worked ALOT with it, not just inverted it.

guys- home

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yodaah's quote:
    "And since this is a concept art forum, in my opinion this whole COW thread would really be of great help, if it could be representative, when people really would keep the task in mind when voting and not vote like maybe my granny, when she sees a painting at the flea market and crying out :"Oh what a beautiful picture!". But I think that a lot of you who have voted tend to do it that way, but in my eyes this does not make any sense."

Right!

nightfend's quote:
    "But, COW is a strange beast, and often the illustration ability and creativity of the entries is as important as anything else."

Right!

br0ken spirit's quote:
    "If there is something I've learned from COW is that making realistic entries and rendering to death is not the only means to make a good concept. There is also originality, presentation, humor, thoughtfullness of the design, uniqueness, and just, well... just something that really catches your atention and appeals in a positive way, while communicating a solid design."

Right!

scumgrinder's quote:
    "But you have to understand that this is a forum for artists by artists and from what i have seen so far the best eye candy will always win the COW."

Right!

possessed's quote:
    "Keep in mind that non-cows vote here too, they might not even read the concept and just look for a pretty picture."

Right!

All points are valid and known since COW exists...can we change this?

NO!

Can we live with it?

YES!

communities work like societies...if people have the possibilities to avoid work but still reach their goal, they will do it...you can't change this if you don't change the rules...we can't change the rules, so people will continue voting like this...

I bet more than 60% of all voters don't read the concepts at all...

C'est la vie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    scumgrinder

ok, especially for you my crits

Biggest crit: Color scheme! I think you would have get a few votes more if you had chosen a blue/cyan color scheme...

lil' crits: i think the shape of your creature is interesting, also the little lights, but it needs more details...currently there is nothing else than the little pink dots, which would be interesting for your eyes to rest...no area, where the viewer would look and say "wow, there is something weird/interesting/cool going on"...it's too flat considering the design, if you know what i mean...

Another thing is, i don't know, what's going on at the surrounding...there are bright lights....hmmm, ok this could be other animals with bioluminescent light, but then again why is there something like a human figure on the top left? You won't encounter both in the same depth...

The tentacles look interesting in their shape, but you faded them out, just at the point were it could be developped much more for an unique shape or interesting function...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BrainBug
    @Yodaah: There was a discussion about that also in the "COW summer break" thread
    How there should also be a seperate poll for the concept story etc.

@Fozzy: will this still get implemented?
    well, i pm'ed Pontemonti about this subject, but he seems to be quite busy right now...i don't want to bug him with this...we need a special function which must be coded, so we'll stick with the current version...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw thanx to all for the votes and crits...not only for mine....special thanx to panda, Dusty and brßken spirit for jumping in as the Mighty Crit Cows

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits guys! I will try to better my stuff as the weeks go by.

Standing ovation for all of you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I refuse to vote. The amount of talent, dedication, creativity, and experience manifested in these entries is unbelievable. I couldn't possibly decide on one to fairly vote on. Although, the pirate muncher did the best job of grabbing my attention and holding it long enough to truly soak in every single detail.

OUTSTANDING JOB, ALL OF YOU.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fozzybar hey thanks... that makes me feel all warm and fozzy inside...

ok, bad pun, I'll stop now.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for bRØk3n_sPiRiT (copy and paste name....).

I'll have to say this is the best looking bunch of entries as a whole, that I've seen, since I started COW. It was a tough decision but I know bRØk3n_sPiRiT (copy and paste name....) has been at this for a while and it's good to see such an effective entry this time. There were a lot more renderings which were executed better but this one, I felt, really suggested the scale and depth at which this thing resides. Many of the others looked very cool but didn't make much sense regarding features such as size of the eyes compared to the size of the body for example. Something that size is naturally going to have lopsided proportions and you may not even see the eyes at all. This turned me away from considering so many entries for my vote.

Duddlebug - As much as the illustrator in me wanted to vote for you, I had to stick with the overall purpose of this site and contest in particular, which is concept art. Even being in the illustration, the size of the creature doesn't seem as big, or live as deep, as I expected it to be. But still, it's a great, creative illustration and always fun to look at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, I shoulda' picked a less obnoxious nickname to type when I signed... : P
    For the record, its fine to call me br0ken spirit or broken spirit or whatever, you dont have to copy and paste the whole nick.

I'm still surprised that the design of my creature had any success, and here's why: originally I wanted to do something very complicated, but I didnt know what. I thought about doing a huge sea serpent, or something full of barbs and whatnot, I wanted to make a very rendered and detailed illustration as much as I could, full of colors and lights and all that, to try and push myself more.
    I let the week days pass and I didnt have an entry, and I saw I wasn't going to have the time to try and do the painting I wanted. So I thought, what is the least compromising thing I can do, for this design? Answer, a sphere with some texture on it, and thats it. And I wasnt even really successful at that, in my view, because the lower part of the picture is failing to convince me, due to the lack of a more interesting color/tone arrangement, instead of just a lot of dark shadow. I also wanted to make something less monochromatic, but venturing to much into other hues was breaking the mood I was going for.
    So in essence, it was just that... a huge ass creature with a dark surrounding, and some bioluminiscent lights to get attention to that spot. I think that because I originally had other intentions, this entry isnt what I wanted to do, so I ended up not liking it because of that. Still, while I was doing it I tried to keep some coherency and interest in the concept even if its not what I originally wanted to do, and I guess its working, in a different way, but not necessarily all that terrible I guess, since you guys seem to like it.
    Yeah, I have been at cow for a while... its an awesome activity and I love doing it, and I hope to be around much longer and keep learning from this, and if you guys like it I hope you stick around too : )

Last edited by brokk; October 11th, 2005 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bRØk3n_sPiRiT - It's not that bad as long as I can find your name nearby to cut and paste. I was just making an effort to poke fun at Fozzy.

You actually lucked out by doing what you did. I didn't read it as a sphere but as an umbrella shaped creature that could possibly falsify its huge appearance when looking at it from the top. Since you only rendered the top it makes it seem that way. Plus, the creature with it's lights only on top, would only illuminate that part and hide it's true appearance. Even though you didn't render any of this it instantly sparked my imagination to fill in what you left out and it worked to your advantage. Sometimes simple is better.

My only critique would be to maybe define more of what we can't see. You don't necessarily have to render it but just shift the value enough around the contour of the body and give us a silhouette to look at. If the creature was shaped like an umbrella, this would work for a shadow behind the umbrella head and the tail could produce its own light or be in contact with the light from the head. Now because it's a sphere that would work differently. I wouldn't know exactly what to think of it since I can't see it. But in the end, what you did worked. Keep it up

/pokes Fozzy
    //poke, poke

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by leckronium
    As much as the illustrator in me wanted to vote for you, I had to stick with the overall purpose of this site and contest in particular, which is concept art
    Thanks... I'm really glad you liked the CONCEPT.

But it isn't an illustration. It is a CONCEPT.

I spent about two hours on this piece. It was produced to look good at this resolution and is actually very rough (i'll post some a WiP and close ups in my sketchbook tonight). And there is no real background. Only enough to explain what the Pirate Muncher does. Which is often the remit of a concept artist. You could work out most of what a pirate muncher does without needing to read the words.

I'm actually a little fed up that after six years in the games industry as a concept artist, i'm being told that i don't produce concept art. Next time Disney or Universal or Warner Brothers ask me for a colour image with narrative i'll have to tell them that i only do 'concept art' and that they can visit this thread for a definition.

And you're right about it not being deep enough... but how BiG do you want it??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by leckronium
    It's not that bad as long as I can find your name nearby to cut and paste. I was just making an effort to poke fun at Fozzy.
    /pokes Fozzy
    //poke, poke
    hehe, i noticed that you were teasing me...i admit i copied & pasted b.s.'s nick a few times, but with the html coding on the nickname, sometimes it pasted weird coding also, so i am typing it now as the simple form br0ken spirit...i can use bs also

btw lEcKr0nIuM where is your entry? ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey...don't think too closeminded when talking about concept art...eg concept art could be just a color gradient if it shows the atmosphere which is needed for a special project...or random lines which create emotions...so does a more finished illustration, it's still concept art, BECAUSE: It is a visualization of a written concept...that's it...

So the basic requirements for this activity are a description/concept of your idea and an artwork which fullfills the quality standards and sticks to the rules, that's it...the style is totally up to the artist himself...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've voted for Broken because i think he sticks more to the concept and the feeling of hugeness you asked for the concept.

possessed's quote:
    "Keep in mind that non-cows vote here too, they might not even read the concept and just look for a pretty picture."

maybe. The first entry that i like was duddlebug's, it's great, very funny and great colors, but i was thinking about the concept first when i voted-

my 2 cents.
    -Non-cow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like RES concept the most.
    The rendering is ok, the concept is cool (perhaps not very "original" but it would look cool as 3D model in a computer game).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been laughing so hard at this whole debate. The wannabe-concept artists telling the actual professional concept artist that his work is not concept art...riiiiiiiiight. anyway, keep on pimpin' duddlebug.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

concerning the "discussion" below

Hi guys,

I was trying to respond to all of your replies, because basically with the most part of what was written, I don't agree at all. I've also seen that some of you really twisted my words and didn'stick to what I wrote exactly, which makes a discussion quite difficult. I was sitting here in an internet café and it nearly took me 2 hours to write down all these arguments concerning your replies. When I finally had finished the text and wanted to post post it the fucking computer asked me to log in again and afterwords there was a blank page as a reply. So for now I'm really fed up with this and won't write down the whole stuff for a second time. The problem is that if I don't reply to all your specific answers I won't even have the chance to change anything and contrary to Fozzy I think that one can change something, so I might try it again tomorrow.

cheers!

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffZNY
    I've been laughing so hard at this whole debate. The wannabe-concept artists telling the actual professional concept artist that his work is not concept art...riiiiiiiiight. anyway, keep on pimpin' duddlebug.

wannabe concept artist ? What do you know?
    scratch my scrot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sucks when it happens, i post in another forum and after writing a really long reply it gave me that. I wanted to punch whoever made the expiring cookies in the cock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duddlebug - I didn't mean to make it sound like you weren't a concept artist. I was simply trying to explain why I voted for bRØk3n_sPiRiT. Sorry for any misunderstandings. When I look at your piece though, you have a pirate ship, a person rowing in a boat, a group of pirates, and treasure other than the actual creature itself. This becomes very narrative which, to me, leans towards illustration. These extra features have become as dominant if not more dominant than the actual creature itself. At first glance, seeing this out of context, I would say that it's an illustration for a childrens book about pirates and their adventures. But again, that's my opinion. Maybe I'm the only one who sees it like this. I'm not saying, in any way, that I do not like it. I'm more of an illustrator myself, went to school for illustration, and graduated with a degree in illustration. If you're really fed up with being a concept artist in the games industry for six years , you'd make one hell of an illustrator.

Fozzy - I'll try to get back in the contests if I can. I've picked up some freelance work along with round 3 of Thunderdome so I am going to be busy for a while. I don't work as fast as I'd like to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *scratch* *scratch*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that was very unnecessary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *scratch* *scratch*

No, I said my scrot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm actually a little fed up that after six years in the games industry as a concept artist, i'm being told that i don't produce concept art. Next time Disney or Universal or Warner Brothers ask me for a colour image with narrative i'll have to tell them that i only do 'concept art' and that they can visit this thread for a definition.
    Aww come on dude, don't get too bent out of shape. Its all crit, right? And as someone who's been a professional for 6 years you should have a tougher skin about peoples' opinions. Take it all with a grain of salt and just take every entry as a lesson. Crit is crit...you don't have to apply the crit to your future pieces if you think they are wrong. That's why you are the artist.

People were just pointing out that it was very illustrative...which it is. That doesn't NOT make it concept art, it just makes it very illustrative concept art. People (myself included) are probably just jealous because they don't have the time to tell a damn near complete story with their concepts. You shouldn't be offended by that.

Besides...you are WINNING! Quit yer bitching. :p

-Dusty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what was unnecessary? duddlebug is a professional concept artist, and he's on here defending his entry against claims that it is not concept art...i find that silly and humorous. if i had said "aspiring concept artists" rather than "wannabe concept artists," would that have been okay? a little thin-skinned here, me thinks...but I apologize to anyone I ticked off. consider your scrot scratched.

EDIT: in reply to what scum said below...Uh, if he is a professional concept artist, then yes, no one is in a better position than he to decide what is and what is not concept art. no one said anything about being unflawed...in fact, I didn't really like his entry that much and voted for brokenspirit, but that is beside the point. most importantly, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here. for the record, referring to someone as a wannabe concept artist when they in fact want to be a concept artist is pretty tepid stuff. nevertheless, i already apologized and scratched yodah's scrotum for him, so that is that.

further EDIT: now in reply to yodah...I think Yodah's post really speaks for itself, so I don't have much to add. Just to clarify a couple things...I'm 23, so not sure what you were getting at there, but if you're gonna start putting down every artist under 24 on CA you're in for a long afternoon. But most significantly, you misread my post, which kinda makes your tangent on reading text properly a bit awkward and ironic... the pronoun "he" was referring to the antecedent "duddlebug," and thus I said nothing whatsoever about you or your entry. sorry you got yourself all riled up.

Last edited by JeffZNY; October 11th, 2005 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what was unnecessary? duddlebug is a professional concept artist, and he's on here defending his entry against claims that it is not concept art...i find that silly and humorous. if i had said "aspiring concept artists" rather than "wannabe concept artists," would that have been okay? a little thin-skinned here, me thinks...but I apologize to anyone I ticked off.
    i just think someone else made that point of duddlebug being a professional concept artist (i think even he mentioned it) without putting Yodaah down. I voted for duddlebug, i liked his illustration the best, but just because he is a professional... does that mean he is unflawed and shouldn't be questioned? Awesome logic. You throwing the whole wannabe- concept artist into the mix doesn't help at all. That's fishing for flames

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2