3 3.03%
  • Form

2 2.02%
  • scumgrinder

5 5.05%
  • eliWolff

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #024: Huge Deep Sea Creature - VOTING!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for br0kenspirit. I do not even know why I just know that as I went through all the images this was the only one that made my hard beat as hell. There is a great atmosphere in this piece and this giant ......thing.... looks terrifying as hell. AWESOME!!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i went with scumgrinder, because it looked so organic and i liked the overall feeling of his piece. i love the colors, btw.

thanks for all the comments, dusty. there actually is a concept behind my monster, but i didn't really feel like being ernest at that point... hope i can comment on everyone as well, later on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for brokenspirit....in essence because it didn't look like a squid or some hybrid lobster/fish/squid/whale. Secondly the scale is off the chart...and by hell it just looks friggin cool. Great Job!

Carnifex...thanks man for the compliment...I appreciate that..
    Dusty...yeah..the reason for the lack of bounce light from the background is because I was going for a more 'this is a model of the creature in a gallery or museum' and it's on display...the little things around it are supposed to be people...just to give a sense of scale. Nonetheless I thank you for taking the time to comment and crit...in fact..you've stepped into the 'arteric and Mighty Crit Cow' shoes this week. Speaking of which ....I miss them...the silly bastards...
    Been a great week to play in the sandbox with you all...
    Cheers!

Last edited by Helzon; October 9th, 2005 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thnx for the critique Dusty, I agree completely, I got way to carried away with the texture on it's body and I couldn't find a good way to reduce it later.
    There are some really fun entries this Cow though I miss mike's..
    Lots of praise goes to Nightfend, br0kenspirit, JakkaS, sephone, BlkCelebration and RES, those were definately my favorites.
    Nightfend: Great design, awesome colors, it's just a very solid piece imo.
    Br0kenspirit: Believable concept, If you wanna survive in the deep sea your physique has to be adapted to that. A spherical form is ideal for the Deep pressure.
    JakkaS: nice design and cool rendering. Maybe a slightly more dynamic pose would have made this even better.
    Sephone: I dunno I just really like the saurian look of the creature
    BlkCelebration: I like the concept and the text that went along with it and it's all glowy and pretty
    RES: lots of elements that make sense for a huge deep sea creature so that's a plus. I like the floating eggsacs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duddlebug grabbed mine. Was a tight call, but duddle tickled my funny tooth and pulled out a vote.
    Really really good stuff from all!

Bum..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, HUGE turnout. Great topic. I really wanted to enter this week, but couldn't find the time yet again. That's really not an excuse...more like a condemnation of myself. I've been very busy lately, but there is always time for more art. I will enter next week's, I promise...be prepared!

oh, and carni...why would you talk that way to the dude who set this whole ship sailing? examine your head, my friend

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i meant that i didn't have access to the computer until saturday evening. so much for "my fault". i'm not blaming fozzy for closing the thread, but i don't like made being fun off. and everyone has the right to be bitchy someday. for me it was that day.

edit: and don't take everything so damn serious i'm saying!
    now you've done it! i'm voting afterall!
    gah.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Yodaah because I liked the way it was drawn the best. I thought it was a good clean looking concept that was easy to see. Some of the entries seemed to be lit very darkly, which for a creature concept would make it tough for a modeler to see the details in what to model.. Also thanks to Dusty for getting my entry added back in. Weird that it didn't show up before.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well ! This week was really tough ! There were a lot of awesome concepts this week - this is what COW is about

It was really tough to vote and crit this time round. I was torn between a few, duddlebug deserves a mention for the great rendering and wit of the piece, but in the end I went for br0kenspirit.... I really like the aesthetics and style of this piece and there is a sense of hugeness to the creature. The design is cool but simple at the same time and I like the monochrome values of the piece.

Great work everyone. Let's hope the next one is as inspiring !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...

... I'm stunned.

I seriously, and I really mean this, I thought I was definatly going to get 0 votes this round. Maybe one or two but more likely zero. I tried to do something different this round from the previous ones because I wanted to focus more on color and an illustration approach, two things I feel I'm needing a lot of work at. I almost didnt even feel like posting what I did for this round, but, this is a learning activity : )
    So getting back home today, and seeing I had eight votes was a real shocker, and reading the comments even more so. You guys are just too kind : )

You wont believe how hard it was for me to decide between nightfend and Helzon. In the end I voted for nightfend, but it was such a damn close.

Crit n' comment time.

possessed: There is something that I think is working against this image, the rocks beneath the creature. When I saw them, I thought they were skulls. I know they are not skulls, but at a quick glance, they sort of look skullish, well, at least to me : P
    This is a problem because it makes me as a viewer have a point of scale reference that doesn't fit the topic, in other words, they make the creature look small by size relation. Also, it may have been better for the nature of the topic to try and have the creature fill up more of the space on the page, there is a lot of background space surrounding the creature which I dont know if it is working too well. Maybe working at a higher resolution, and cropping the image close to the creature so you have it taking up a lot of the space on the page and keep some of the background underneath it.
    The tail that fades away into the darkness of the waters was a good idea and I think its working. If you had combined that with a more exagerated perspective, making things closer to the viewer look bigger and take up more space, I think it could have made the image work more.
    Also, I know a lot of entries have this going on including mine, but if you included a small vessel, a swimmer, a whale, or some other realistically large object but made really small, the size of the creature would appear massive by comparison.
    The textures are rocking, and I like the colors on the creature. Not so crazy about the enviornment, but the creature is looking good. Your textures these last rounds have been awesome, you just need to figure out a way to pop stuff up more on certain areas, try to focus the attention more on a certain spot, either by contrast of values, hues, lines leading to that point, detail level, etc. Keep up the good work!

nightfend: I saw the wip when you posted it... and yeah I'm shamless enough to request that you post the process steps! hehehe...
    Man I like this entry a lot. I like how it works both as an illustration and as a creature concept. My only crit on the image is that the lower tentacles look kinda crooked. I know, tentacles have no bone structure, so in concept its just fine. But compositionally they look a bit disperese... I dont know if I'm expressing myself correctly. Maybe you could have made them a bit curvier, and tried to incorporate them more into the composition, so they would lead more attention to the eye and reaching tentacle for example. But they are covered in shadows and they are not the main focus of attention so its not really an issue, just a nit pick.
    I'm gonna try to express this correctly: there is something that I really admire from you and thats that you make really solid entries. What I mean is, you make things very concise, the idea is clear, and if fits the topic very well. I like how you take elements that the viewer can relate to, like the tentacles on this entry, but also put in things like the vertical mouth between the eyes, combining all the elements into something unique and solid. At the risk of sounding like a jerk, I would dare to say, that sometimes I think you play things more on the safe side... what I mean is, I'd like to see you push some stuff more. For example, on the brain eater cow, it could have been said that stealing brains for eating was something quite predictable. Slashing or bashing the skull or some other "messy" way to open it, was also something that could be said to be predictable. So was this round, tentacles, bioluminicesce (I'm guilty of this too) could be predicted. And I think its perfect to have them because they fit the topic and are something the viewer can relate to, but my crit was that, sometimes I would preffer to see more "risky" images and less known or predictable elements in them.
    Anyway, its redundant to say take this all with a grain of salt.
    The entry is rocking, and you have my vote.

hurricane: very eerie... I was going to say that the creature looked a bit dead floating in there, but then I read the description and saw that it was a massive, dead floating squid that had been found. Eerie. Also that lighting from below looks awesome and really adds to the atmosphere. I think that if you darkened the surroundings more, especially on the top of the picture, and if the creature blended with the darkness of the enviorment at certain parts, it would look even more scary and add more to the enviornment, especially with that below lighting. I know it says it was found near the shores so its appropiate that the surrounding waters aren't really that dark, but maybe mood and atmosphere was more important than following the concept that closely in this case. Also the creature could have taken up more space on the page.
    Good stuff.

Nefarious: spooky. I like the creature and the idea, and the lighting. The compositional idea is cool, crit is that you could have taken that even further perhaps. Making the body even longer, exagerating a bit the perspective, and making the head larger so it looks closer to the viewer, and just let that tail spiral back in circles blending into darkness. About the creature itself, the jaws look kinda weak, and thin. Maybe putting on some more heavy duty jaws it would look more scary. I like the needle teeth idea.
    Cheers.

Hanuka: lol, the description made me chuckle. Good compositional idea, the space on the page that the creature is taking up looks nice. The creature itself looks kinda crooked though, I can see what the idea was, but the neck looks as if it were cracked and folded to fit the composition. I think its something you can solve if you draw ellipses or rings across his body, and try to accomodate those in perspective. Then draw the lines that would be the contour of the body following those ellipses in perspective.
    Korova milk bar huh? : P A Clokwork Orange is a crazy movie indeed : )
    Cheers.

Helzon: Dude. DUDE. Chromatically challenged my ass... When I was scrolling down and saw the image my jaw dropped. This is one of the strongests images in this thread. Very nice rendering, I really like how the skin looks glossy with those highlights, and it works well against the black outlines. I wasn't sure about all that empty space above and arround the create, but the contrast between figure and background is done really well and the creature really pulls the attention to itself. Crit is that, maybe the creature could use some shadows on some parts. I can see greens and reds on the creature, so I see you are trying hue variations, but maybe the back legs could be covered up in some shadows, at least enough to separate them a little from the front part of the creature. Don't get me wrong, I love the rendering, but right now the creature I think is too in-your-face, its like BAM!, creature, there you go. I see you put shadowy parts like under one of the front arms, but these shadows could be somewhat stronger. Especially since the lighting looks strong. Strong light, strong shadows; diffuse light, diffuse shadows. I love the colors on the head and spines.
    A more abstract crit... your entries, visually, are sometimes hard to relate to. For example, in the shit eater one. If I didnt read the description or know that the concept was shit eater, there was nothing or not enough elements in the concept/image that comunicated the idea of shit eater. This round too. I cannot find anything in the image, without the text, to know that this is a deep-sea creature. It looks like this well designed well rendered, monstrous... thing. But there is nothing that says "deap sea creature". I like your creature desings, and they are original, but maybe you could try to put in more relatable elements into them, so the viewer can relate more, and the image works independant of the description. Basically I'm saying the oposite of what I was saying to nightfend. Also, the description this round was pretty hard for me to understand right away. I honestly had to read it several times to know what this was. Call me stupid, but still, I think its best to try to make things as clear as possible for the viewer, in the image, and also in the concept description. Again, take this with a grain of salt.
    nightfend and yours were my favorite entries this round, but I decided to vote for nighfend because I thought the concept was transmitted more clearly. But if I could have voted doble, I would have voted for both.
    Keep up the good stuff.

WARHEAD: good call on the big eyes. A creature with big eyes is easy to relate to living in areas with little light, I think. I think that the tendrils hanging could have been arranged a bit more according to the composition, using them as lines to attract attention to the face area, which is the area that the most detail could be placed, since it would be the main focus point. Again, good call on the blurry ship, because it helps concentrate on the face of the creature I think. I like how the tail blends into the dark waters. Crit is just that, some more details on the face so the viewer has something to look at for a while.

Oregano: one of my favorites, after nightfend and Helzon. When I realized the jelly had a blue whale in one of the tentacles I realized the creature was humongous. Crit is just that, though, that it took me a bit of time to realize the size of the creature. The attention is on the creature, and it was the first thing I looked at, rather than the small zoom graph on the left showing the whale trapped in one of the tentacles. If that graph wasn't there, I could not tell that the jelly was holding a blue whale. Maybe if you arranged the composition differently, made the image somewhat bigger, and showed the whale in the same image as the huge jelly, the size relation would be evident much more quickly. You could still incorporate a graph, but it could be better if the size relation was apparent more quickly.
    About the creature design, I would have liked to see a few more dangling tentacles, coming out of the body as well as those comming out from the head, maybe they could just continue to the border of the page showing that they continue a longer way, right now the tentacles feel a bit short, in relation to the head.

br0kenspirit: you're lucky to even get votes, you slacker. Next time work harder on your stuff, dont just cover stuff up in shadows : P

Nutter: hey, cool idea! Crits are that I would have liked to see some giant squids, maybe swimming around and another one being caught. Also I think you're relying on the same thing as I did on my image, too much shadowy parts, I can't see the creature desing clearly. But cool entry.

Beatnik: the creature and the ship look like two separate elements that aren't interacting with each other. Maybe it would help more if the claw was reaching out more directly at the ship, it looks like its reaching up right now. And the eyes looking at the ship too, right now they look like they're staring into something else. I like how the green lights reflect on the body, and how the creature looks like its moving fast. But the direction of that claw is really feeling like its breaking the speed too, instead of pointing up, point it at the ship, have the eyes stare at the ship, all following the speedlines that indicate the fast movement. Maybe you could place the ship more up on the picture for this. Some tentacles could be covered in shadows too, its not necessary to show all of them, just some, and the rest in shadows.

Eshara: good idea and I like the red seaweed as opposed to the blue of the enviornment and the creature. The creature could be contrasted more from the background somewhat, maybe a few more different hues and/or some lighter values on some areas. The composition isn't working all that well for me... maybe if the body was bended in an "S" shape, having the body and head twist around to the left, and making some more use of perspective.

panda: cool. The empty space on the lower right is kinda bothersome though. I see you covered it in shadows, but its still there nonetheless. There is too much empty space to the right of the creature. I know that he has those spines coming out of his back, maybe if you accomodated those more upward, making an "S" shape with the rest of the body, you could crop a lot of that space on the right. Also some more details and attention to the head area, and some parts look a bit sketchy, try blending them or something that makes them look less sketchy-like.

Schlo-mo: I was thinking of doing a mythical creature too, like a leviathan. But I slacked and thought putting some stuff on a sphere was going to be less compromising (which in fact wasnt. Karma, karma... : P )
    Crit is that, without reading the description, I cannot tell that those are bluewhales, so the size relation isnt that evident right away. If you could tell that they are bluewhales without reading the description, I think that the image would have more impact since the size comparsion would be more quick to see. I would try lowering the camera level some more and see what happens, viewing it from above doesn't transmit the idea that this creature is very large right now, but maybe viewing it from eye-level, or even from below, along with the blue whales easy to spot, would give more testament to its size. Cool creature idea.

Xpose: its sad that they die if they rise to the surface... but they're ok living where they are though, I guess, so then its not really sad. An interesting take on the subject.
    Since they can only be studied living with state of the art computerized subs, you could have included a sub in there! : P
    The sub could be emiting light, so the creature would have some lighter areas on the body, and also help show the size relation.

Shadoman: cool, everything looks clear, and I like that. But some parts I would have preffered to see covered in some shadows, I see that the one in the back is covered more than the one in the front, but the one on the front looks too clear... its like telling a joke and giving it away at the same time, it shows too much I think. Having some shadowy parts would allow it to merge a little more with the background, and also establish some more specific attention spots, right now, the creature on the front is rendered all at the same level of consideration, so there isnt really a place for the eye to rest and focus. Perhaps shading the body, and making the glowing tentacles brighter, putting in some white in there with the violet, or something like that. I like the idea and the design elements on the corners of the page as well.

Dusty: I really like the "head" formed by the tentacles. Crit is that area could be accented more, putting some brighter shades of green, some yellow-greens and light yellow-greens for example. Other than that, the "neck" is comming into contact with the real squid's head, and its forming a tanget. It would help the compostion more to have the real squid's head placed lower in the picture, I think.

duddlebug: lol, awesome, I really like this. The ship/pirate size relation looks a bit off, either the ship is too small or the pirates on the creature's head big, though I realize the style is more on the humorous side. I would have liked to see the pirates on the head just a bit bigger, and have them a bit more defined, enough to show quirky facial expressions and such. So as not to have the ship take too much up of the space on the page, the ship could be set further back and actually made a bit smaller, as if it was somewhat away, and have the anchor line receding from the grasping tentacle to the ship, showing that there is distance and that the ship is not directly above.

I'm beat... I'll continue with the entries I haven't commented/critted later, right now I'm gonna go catch some sleep (havent slept today)..
    EDIT: and also fix sentences that are incoherent or wonky or whatever, grammar, and that stuff : P

EDIT 2: it says "the text that you just entered is too long (24137 characters). Please shorten it to 20000 characters long." so I'll post the rest of the comments on another message below.

Last edited by brokk; October 10th, 2005 at 05:33 PM.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough, tough, tough....did i mention tough?...Decision!!! Between nightfend and br0ken spirit.... though i was close to vote against br0ken spirit because of his f*** nickname, which kills me every time i am preparing the poll threads hehe, nono, just kidding, i voted for broken spirit, because his creature is something i REALLY can imagine encountering in the deep and wetting your scientific pants down in the submarine...only crit is the bottom part of the image...it looks not well balanced in colors/tones...

nightfend...as i mentioned you were very very very....did i mention very? close to my vote...at the end i went for the fresher design of br0kens creature...anyway keep rocking my friend, you're one of the hot candidates every round, because of your great rendering skills and cool designs/concepts...one day you will win i am sure!

So many cool entries this week...i cannot c&c at the moment, quite busy right now...but maybe later this week...maybe not..HAHA!

Last edited by Fozzybar; October 9th, 2005 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff everybody, i voted for Hurricane, but also liked the one from duddlebug a lot.
    Also liked the one from warhead, Jakkas, Yoddah, Form Tuchten, Nightfend and so on...

By the way, couldn't see the one from eliwolf (red X)...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oregano got my vote, really enjoyed tuchten's aswell

great stuff all

-shin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    duddlebug: Cute idea, though despite your description saying otherwise I definitely do not get a "deep sea" feel from this at all. Seems like you had this idea for a long time and kind of shoehorned it into the competition a bit, because the pirate idea is a little random for when you think of "deap sea creature".
    Hahaha... that is so far from the truth! This idea came through after i actually started the picture!

I entered this week's COW because it was the first for a few weeks that wasn't evil or based on less appealing areas of a person's anatomy. And i wanted to do a friendly COW because they always seems to be mean and nasty. So my first sketch was a big grinning version of the 'monster' i did, but without teeth and with it's eyes where the Pirate Muncher's nostrils are. And just in front of the creature was a little submersible with spotlights. So when i checked the thread and saw Nighfend's and Hurricane's pieces both with subs, i played around with the sketch and it became the Pirate Muncher. It was about this time i kinda neglected (forgot?) the 'deep' part of the brief. But i hadn't read Fozzy's description... only the actual title... so 'Deep' didn't seem quite as important! My mistake... but like i said... his tentacles are 'deep'...

Thanks for the votes so far... i thought i'd be shunned for my creature not being 'Deep' enough!!

My vote went for nightfend.

I think someone mentioned b-movies in their critique and i'd agree! Looks like a sci-fi creature and i think the colours are spot on. The mouth would scare anybody!

His main contenders for my vote were Form (cool story! And city!) and Nutter (hilarious monster, great colours and the description made me laugh because of the 'lazy' line which also meant i couldn't vote for you! haha!). Also close were Fozzy (nice rendering and good looking creature), Hurricane (Great image! Lovely rendering! FAb lighting! Made me change my mind!) and Jakkas (the face cracks me up!)

Last edited by duddlebug; October 10th, 2005 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Hurricane. Loved it from the first and nothing has replaced it for me though I'm also very partial to Nightfend's creature and Duddlebug's scene too. Great work guys! About Hurricane's painting - I love the lighting most of all and I think the skin texture is fantastic. It just looks great overall. It's exactly what I would imagine a huge, deep sea creature to look like.

Also wanted to add that this week has really brought out some great work. The competition is really stiff for this COW. Most impressive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

I'm only in this forum since August this year, so maybe I missed some important explanations concerning voting in the COW thread. So maybe someone people -and especially you Fozzy- can explain to me if voting always goes like in the "Huge Deep Sea Creature" -topic.

I was very astonished when I noticed that duddlebug's "creature" got a real majority of votes. Just don't get me wrong, it's well done and painted and all and really looks good, but in my view this simply isn't a conceptual design. It's a painting or an illustration. In order to do my portfolio the right way, I've talked to some Art Directors and workshop leaders and they all said that they are not looking for beautiful illustrations and that a concept design should communicate an idea in a realistic way, so that in general everybody is able to read the artwork in connection to the given task/topic.
    So when you judge from common sense, then duddlebug's painting would be great as an illustration for a chidren's book or maybe even as a concept design for a funny animation movie, but that is special and it is not what you logically would think of when the topic is "Huge Deep Sea Creature".

I'm writing all this because in some way those votes really made me angry. I mean the name of this forum is "conceptart.org", so the main concern should be just this: conceptual art/design. If a director or an art director gives you the task to design a huge deep sea creature in general, as stated in the topics,and you give him this kind of really funny painting, then the design would be rejected. And since this is a concept art forum, in my opinion this whole COW thread would really be of great help, if it could be representative, when people really would keep the task in mind when voting and not vote like maybe my granny, when she sees a painting at the flea market and crying out :"Oh what a beautiful picture!". But I think that a lot of you who have voted tend to do it that way, but in my eyes this does not make any sense. I noticed that just those people who really did a realistic approach, who really tried to design a monster, a creature that really might live down there, did not get one single vote until now. Look at the designs of Dusty,Shadoman,panda,warhead,helzon and Nefarious. Those are all in some kind realistic but nobody voted for them, zero percent! duddlebug: almost 30% for now. That's unbelievable.

I don't know, maybe I'm bugging all of you funny voters now, but I think if people don't keep the topic as a general guideline in mind when voting, then this whole thing isn't worth anything, because in this case I'm not supposed to fullfill a certain task, but to compete with the level of entertainment of the other pictures and this has nothing to do with producing a real conceptual design. And I really think this should be changed,so that the result of the votes could be in a way as representative as when showing your single artwork or portfolio to an art department in the movie or games industry or whatever people you intend to work with. So of course I'm sure that some of you don't give a shit about my thoughts, but I believe that it really would fit common sense, if you Fozzy ,would either specify the topics, as for example: "Funny Giant Sea Creature" or "comics book-style anatomy" etc. or reject all artwork which doesn't fit the description in the way I mentioned above. That might be hard for some people, but it really makes common sense. Otherwise one could maybe start a 2nd. COW thread, where people can post anything they want and in this case I'd paint Mother Goose, adjust her skin colour a little bit, install some nice looking fins and a giant tail to her body and tell you all that this is my Huge Deep Sea Creature. This would also be quite entertaining but it's not CONCEPT DESIGN.

cheers!
    Yodaah

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to mention:

Dusty, no offend I'm sure that there are other people who also thougt the same way you did while citisizing and voting, but in my eyes this is definetely wrong, so I just take your crit as an example.

Quote: "Yodaah: Design is neat and even though its monochromatic, it still looks great. The background is sevely lacking though. At least its not white,but flat gray isn't much better."

Firstly, if you stick to the topics, then you should not judge this way. The definition concerning the artwork,as listed in the given COW topics were:

"color or b/w"
    "focus is on the creature, background is not necessary"

And this is what I was talking about in my last post. Judging this way means not to judge the conceptual design as such. It means voting for some kind of painting/picture that entertains you, because of the colors, background details or whatever. But this has no meaning. The quality and communication of the conceptual design should be the main concern!

Here are some examples of conceptual art for two great movies and a video game. Some are "monochromatic" and there is no background, which for reasons of clarifying the design is common in the industry. I'd really wish that people would keep this in mind.

see what I mean?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yodaah,
    I agree with you in many ways... I really liked Tuchten's concept creature as well. And in the real world, Yours or Tuchten's design would be perfectly acceptable (though maybe with a few sketches of the creature from different angles).

But, COW is a strange beast, and often the illustration ability and creativity of the entries is as important as anything else. I certainly haven't found the magic formula for this contest, but it's entertaining for me to enter and pushes me to do better. So I take it with a grain of salt when my entries don't get huge numbers of votes.

I do think it's a little unfair to the other artists that posted work in this thread to just discount their concepts because they were done more as an illustration and less as concept work. There are still a lot of amazing pieces and talented artists posting art here.

Michael W.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not concerned about the number of votes I get. I think that this should work in a realisic way and not just entertain people (maybe you should read exactly what I wrote, it's a long text!). And I don't think that I'm unfair with other artists at all. We all have the same chances but concept art should be concept art and not an illustration. Again: When the topic is general then the concept should communicate a genaral idea of a huge sea monster,that's common sense. If it was common sense to post anything else, or anything funny/unrealistic so why do we only have one humouristic picture in this contest?

Think!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly Yodaah, I do agree with you in some ways about competing with illustrations. Its hard to compete with just a funny little story. However if it was limited, I don't think we would have anywhere near some of the fun entries we have had. Asking the artists to be more objective and really looking at the designs/concepts is great, but asking the artists to limit themselves is not.

Regarding your comment about how you shouldn't crit the background, I have to disagree. I said I liked your creature...in fact I had nothing to crit on it. That's a compliment. Your background had zero interest to it, which while that is not necessary and in cases like Duddelbug you can skirt the boundaries of being a flatout illustration as opposed to concept art, adding *some* kind of interest to make the concept art more visually appealing is a fully valid crit. For example....I'll use Feng, since everyone knows who is is:

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/char/char_feng_image01.JPG

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/char/char_feng_image03.JPG

http://www.fengzhudesign.com/char/char_feng_image17.JPG

3 examples....gradient, design, and even flat color in that last one. Its just flat, but its more visually striking and more appealing because it has SOME color to it. White backgrounds are acceptable for concepts...no doubt (And I did say "At least yours isn't white"). Many people when doing rapid concepts do not waste time with stuff like in the 2nd pic and that is perfectly acceptable. But even just making your background a slight hue would have overall made the totality of your piece more appealing, in *my opinion*. That's what critiques are, and I feel its a valid crit. Telling someone not to critique something is kind of bizarre if you ask me. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, but don't tell people not to critique something.

Honestly though, the only thing I could find to crit on your piece was your damn background. You shouldn't be getting upset at me because I had to DIG to find something for you to improve on. Half empty kind of guy, much? :p

-Dusty

(edit: had to clarify a point)

Last edited by Dusty; October 11th, 2005 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodaah
    duddlebug's painting would be great as an illustration for a chidren's book or maybe even as a concept design for a funny animation movie
    (the bold on those letters was added by me)

I'm editing my post above but I just wanted to reply quickly to this too. COW has specific features, like non-human entries, but its also open in the sense that you can take any license you want as long as it fits the topic and the specific criteria for submitting entries. Preffering realism over humor or vice-versa is only a personal taste, and its my opinion that if the entries were restricted to only either one, it would be for the worse, not the better.
    Besides, duddlebug's entry works (and in a very good way) both as a concept and illustration, the creature is there, you can see it, and its solid in design and in presentation. Humor is a genre, and a large and succesfull one, humorous concepts are as sober as "realistic" ones. If there is something I've learned from COW is that making realistic entries and rendering to death is not the only means to make a good concept. There is also originality, presentation, humor, thoughtfullness of the design, uniqueness, and just, well... just something that really catches your atention and appeals in a positive way, while communicating a solid design.

I'm actually gratefull that this activity is opened... it would be for the worse if the entries submmited were restricted to one genre, I get bored when there is little variety : S

Last edited by brokk; October 10th, 2005 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha thanks broken spirt... I did put a sub in there and it's putting light in the chest but I didn' make it light enough to tell what it is. I should have made it lighter but too late now lol. Thanks for the C+C =]

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodaah
    Just don't get me wrong, it's well done and painted and all and really looks good, but in my view this simply isn't a conceptual design. It's a painting or an illustration
    Blimey.....

I don't want to enter a big debate about what qualifies as 'concept art', but i have worked as a concept artist in the games industry for 6 years. And in that time i've worked on realistic games and 'cartoon' (i prefer 'stylised') games.

Concept = idea

So a concept artist is an artist who generates ideas. I render my ideas in all sorts of ways. How i render them is unimportant. Unless i'm asked to render them in a certain way. This week i've produced two full colour 'illustrative' concepts (and a Pirate Muncher in my lunch hours). Last week i was producing charcter turnarounds on a white background. They're all 'concept art'. Getting the idea across is the thing that is very very important. Artists who concept for Pixar or Disney are concept artists who produce stylised concepts, for instance. And they are very good at getting their ideas across.

I'm writing all this because in some way those votes really made me angry. I mean the name of this forum is "conceptart.org", so the main concern should be just this: conceptual art/design. If a director or an art director gives you the task to design a huge deep sea creature in general, as stated in the topics,and you give him this kind of really funny painting, then the design would be rejected.
    It wouldn't get rejected if it was a huge deep sea creature for a stylised game or movie. Although he may reject it because it isn't 'deep' enough, but then you haven't mentioned that...

...but I believe that it really would fit common sense, if you Fozzy ,would either specify the topics, as for example: "Funny Giant Sea Creature" or "comics book-style anatomy" etc. or reject all artwork which doesn't fit the description in the way I mentioned above. That might be hard for some people, but it really makes common sense. Otherwise one could maybe start a 2nd. COW thread, where people can post anything they want
    I think one of the appeals of the COW activity is the variety of repsonses to a few words. It all adds to the entertainment. Ironically, sometimes i think i'm at a disadvantage because i often work in a cartoon style.

...and in this case I'd paint Mother Goose, adjust her skin colour a little bit, install some nice looking fins and a giant tail to her body and tell you all that this is my Huge Deep Sea Creature.
    Erm... that's not exactly how i came up with this concept...

This would also be quite entertaining but it's not CONCEPT DESIGN.
    Actually... it could well be concept design.

No hard feelings Yoodah, and you may disagree with me, but i felt like i had to respond. I'm chuffed i've got so many votes. I haven't won this week's COW yet. If i do i'll be delighted. If i don't i'll enter another one. But i don't know what 'style' i'll paint it in...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a real toughie between JakkaS, nutter and 0Kelvin, but my vote has to go to 0Kelvin. That is easily the most massive looking thing we have here. The colors and the idea are completely cool. The trenches really fit in with the deep sea concept. Badass, and props to ya.

JakkaS, your rendering and painting is fantastic, better than kelvin's, I'd say, but it didn't really carry with it the feeling of immensity. Good job on the painting though!

princeofhappiness , same thing as JakkaS, it really doesn't seem that large, especially seeing as how the seaweed is so large in comparison to the suckers on its tentacles! Also, in deeper water, because of the pressure and lack of sunlight, colors tend to be much more muted. (at least that's what I've seen) On your deep sea creature, I can definitely see it working better with much less saturated colors.

sephone , hmm, I'm not sure how "sea creature" -ey it actually looks. I see many land animal elements in there that kinda belie its nature. In relation to the painting itself, I think you need to sharpen up your edges some.

BlkCelebration , aww, it's so cute! Same thing as Sephone, I think you may need to sharpen up on your edges, but also blend your colors more. Light does radiate, but it doesn't end abruptly at a point. Rays of light are usually created when objects block out the edges of the light source, so yours might be much more expansive, or at least made using a softer brush.

Yodaah, While I completely agree with you on the background (see how much effort I put into MINE), the tan/gray background probably detracted from the "sea creature" idea. Placing it above the person on a neutral sky with a shadow below it leads my brain into thinking "oh, it flies, it can't be from the ocean"

RES, completely badass, you were another great contender for my vote, but I think the yellow teeth really turned me off to this one. I'm all for yellow teeth and all, but it's hard to see how they'd be yellow in only blue light (unless they really are THAT grody.)

Fozzybar, As with some other entries, it's badass, but not sharp or defined enough for my tastes. You could perhaps have it fade out by gradually having the tentacles fade into blackness or something... It's a great piece, just not one I personally enjoy as much as the others.

tuchten, that is one BIG head. I mean a REALLY REALLY REALLY big head. If I had to crit you, it would just be to say that it doesn't speak to me. It doesn't say "deep sea leviathan titanic immensity" as much as some others.

Form, completely badass, but the coloring of the head kinda gets to me. Perhaps something closer to the body color.

scumgrinder, the fact that there's a diver there says to me that this isn't really deep sea. The jelliness of it is cool though.

eliWolff, for some reason, yours isn't showing up on my monitor....

possessed, I'm not sure what's wrong about this to me... I think it's the uneven muscles near the head... it doesn't look like it was meant to bend that way. Also, if you were going for length, the tail doesn't seem like it's really that long... perhaps it's the repetitive nature of the scales.

nightfend, you were about to get my vote, but then I realized that its mouth looked like a succubus vagina. No, but seriously, this one's REALLY good.

hurricane, after seeing this in your sketchbook, I already knew this would be one of the better entries. Lighting, water, and creatures are all fantastic. However, the the tentacles on the other side seeming to disappear (even though the rest of the creature doesn't fade off) meant that you didn't get my vote for this one. Nothing in particular, just not as much to my taste.

Nefarious, Looks like you might need to sharpen up a bit too. The mouth really doesn't appeal to me... it's difficult to see where it's skull structure might be. Try drawing out the bones first, or at least a pencilled skeleton (you know, cones and spheres and such)

Hanuka, hey, I was gonna get mad at you for painting a worm, but your description was just too funny! Only crit I gots for ya is that it looks a little flat, probably because of the "halo" around the head.

Helzon, that looks VICIOUS, but also like a land-based alien overlord.

WARHEAD, the bioluminescenco coming off of this one is cool, and the general shape of the fish is awesome. I really like the faded out sub in the foreground. Sadly though, the monstah itself feels airbrushed... too cloudlike and airy for the concept I think that you were going for.

Oregano, AWESOME... the colors, the lights, the size... teh jellies! Sadly though, the tentacles that fade off lose the lustre that you put into the rest of it!

br0kenspirit wow, this one seems BIG. REALLY BIG. Sadly though... The eyes are so exactly placed. You're lacking a bit of perspective here. Not much, but enough so that I voted elsewhere this time.

Nutter this is sweet! It's cute AND terrifying! So many good entries... damn that I can't pick more than one, ya know?

Beatnik, too cartoony for me. The body parts are kinda bulbous, and they feel slightly disconnected from one another. The eyelids in particular don't seem to be part of the creature.

Eshara, looks like you, too, need some sharpening up. You should try looking at the other examples of deep sea creatures, if you haven't already. Get a feel for the anatomy of fish and whales and how their limbs and eyes connect to their bodies.

Schlo-mo, perhaps this would work far better for a different entry. It's an excellent piece, it just doesn't say HUGE to me.

Xpose, this is a cool creature! It's certainly huge, and it's certainly deep sea. (good thing you put in that little rock, or it would have been much more difficult to tell.) The only thing I'll crit you on is your composition. The pose and the placement looks so rigid on the page. It's kinda bland in comparison to say... Nightfends, where the beast is VERY active, or to Hurricane's, where it's sitting still like yours but is also quite relaxed.

Shadoman doesn't really say "deep sea" to me. The colors seem too saturated. In fact, if you had gone with the colors and/or pose of the one in the background, and left some of the pink parts bright, I think your piece would be a lot stronger.

Dusty that's totally cool! Only crit I got for you is that the spines on the tentacles seem like an afterthought. Personally, I think they actually kind of detract from the rest of the entry. i'd love to see what it looked like without them!

duddlebug, this picture makes LOLva spew out of my LOLcano. This is totally awesome! If I wasn't in the mood for nightmare, and instead was looking for comedy, you would definitely have gotten my vote.

young paddy1 cool, but undefined. You need to work on your perspective, as the tentacles don't look quite right. Also, it's difficult to tell which part of your creature is supposed to be what.

WHEW that took a freaking long time! So many good entries this time around.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (*edit)@Yodaah
    this was my first entry ever for the COW. i never ever did anything for a poll or a contest or whatever this is. While working on it i realized how many different styles all of us have and how some of our creatures are better when presented as concepts, and some are better when presented in scenarios. Like someone said before, duddlebugs's stuff works because the creature is there but you can also see the ship and pirates for scale reference and also how the creature interacts. From his illustration you get information about the creatures size, eating habits, colors etc.

All of those things wouldn't be well represented against a plain backgroundin a sketchy way. I am not saying this would be the case with every monster but in his case works and it's also done in a funny way. It was great how serious or solemn most of us were about our entries compared to duddlebug's.

Consider also the fact that we can't post more than one image. I had the original sketch, which is closer to what you suggest should be the COW, yet i didn't post that, i posted something i thought could compete against these dudes' work.

however, I probably agree with you somehow by saying this... I think in a lot of the entries, little or not enough is shown of the creatures, and the focus should be on them and not the pretty whole picture. But you have to understand that this is a forum for artists by artists and from what i have seen so far the best eye candy will always win the COW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we all gotto stay open minded about all'a'dis'..
    Remember?.. it's art!!

Bum..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,265 Times in 736 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry Yodaah, I don't aggree. Duddlebugs picture is as much a 'concept' as Ian McCaig's work for Star Wars. Because the final image is fun and presented as an 'illustration' does not make it less a piece of creative conceptualisation as any other here. I don't quite get your point I have to admit, and don't mean this in a 'what-choo-taking-about' kind of way... I just don't see why you can judge this pic as less of a 'concept' than any other. Concept Art is a huge pantheon of approaches, and they can all be concept if the brief is followed and a result that fills the requirements is produced. Just my 'alf-pennys' worth.

Edit: BTW, I'd forgotten you have to give a reason for voting... I think this was a very strong COW all round, but I voted for Jonny's because it made me laugh out loud, was realised well and came at the subject from a different angle. This COW has inspired me to maybe have a go as well...

Last edited by Aly Fell; October 10th, 2005 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Slelpnig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fun little discussion going on here..
    Keep in mind that non-cows vote here too, they might not even read the concept and just look for a pretty picture.
    Everyone has a different taste and different things they look for when judging a piece. Personally I try thinking about if the creature could actually exist and if the looks match the written concept. I also prefer realistic work over cartoony but that's just a personal taste.
    One more thing I find important is the concept as a whole. I see a lot of comments like: 'woa pretty lighting' , 'groce' or 'hilarious' but that kinda thing is mostly just generated at a certain part of the concept.
    I've been thinking of a fun way to judge C.O.W for maybe one time only but I don't know if it can be done. It might be fun if somebody from the field (art director or lead conceptual designer) judged the matched criteria (topic could be more described in a 'evil supply creature' kind of way)
    So no voting for that round , just a single person who selects a winner and two runners-up.
    OR, try getting that points system across we spoke of a while go.

EDIT: thanks to all who took the time to C&C my piece. It usually takes a while before I myself can see the countless flaws within my own pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back to the comments.

JakkaS: original design and I like it, and I think it works. I don't have much to crit on this... maybe more action? The creature's pose looks kinda stiff, maybe if it were swimming or something that shows a little action / dynamic, to catch the viewers attention to the image more.

young paddy1: Cool idea, the image has the same issue as mine I think, too much shadowy parts. Maybe fixing that with some slight lighting, to show a little of the creature at some parts, comming from an exploring vessel or similar.

0kelvin: lol, massive, I knew this creature was big, but after reading the part in the description (the part where it says "Don't even try to come up with something larger, this is the absolute limit for believable size." was hilarious) and checking the graphs I realized the full size.
    Similar crit than the one for Oregano, if the size relation was percieved more immediately, I think the image would have more impact. I know that the creature is so massive that it would dwarf anything next to it to the point of making it look like a tiny dot, but still. Maybe that could be resolved in working at an enourmous resolution (but not impractical... say... 1200 x 1500 px? or something like that) so you could at least hint a little of the squids, and then use the graphs to zoom in more.
    About the creature itself, it looks too much like an ordinary shrimp I think. Some more unique or strange elements to set it appart from the known shrimp look, while retaining shrimpish elements (shrimpish... now I'm making up words...) could have been more beneficial.
    Cheers.

princeofhappiness: Something about the composition is not working for me. I could be wrong, but I feel like the attention is at the center, while reading the description makes me wanna see where he is eating and the red latern, forcing my view to the right. I would suggest flipping this image over horizontaly and see what happens. Also try knocking back that saturation/brightness in the body, and accent it more on the lantern/front tentacles feeding, which would be a more appropiate focus point I think.
    Anyways, cool idea : )

sephone: very cool creature design! And good idea. I'm really liking the spiney, armored back back, teeth, and general design. Crit is that the creature could use some more saturated (but not extremely saturated) colors on certain parts of the body, where you want to draw more attention. Perhaps some brighter and more saturated reds and oranges around the eye / air sack area. I'd also flip the image over horizontally and seeing what results that brings. Compositionally the reading is starting at the tale right now, where it would be more appropiate if it started at the head, or if the head area had something that really called the attention to it.

BlkCelebration: its a cool idea and original, but there's too much saturated colors, and they are both competing with each other since they are complimentary I think, red and cyan. I really like those fishes swimming around the glowing hump, and the ones in the tentacles. Thats where I think the strongest saturations could be kept, and desaturate the areas further away from those, gradually. The reds would be a better choice to desaturate so they don't compete with the cyans.

Yodaah: I know you say a few posts above that in concept design the background is either not present in the case of many designs or unimportant, but the topic for this is deep sea creature. From the image alone I cannot tell that this creature dwells in the deep sea, I would actually think that its a flyer type creature. I think that if you include more elements so the viewer can relate to the image without relying on the text, the image has a better impact and the idea is transmitted more clearly. You could include a dark-water background with some rocks way back or something like that. Also, if this was for a game or a movie, I would need to see the creature's colors, unless its a fully pinkish-red somewhat desaturated. If that's the case, then I think you could add a little more hue variation, and some more shadows, since the lighting looks kinda strong.
    While in games and movies and such there are monochromatic concepts and many times they don't have a background, the only indication for this round (appart from the general COW indications for every round) is "huge deep sea creature". Every element you can include in your image that transmits that idea, in a way that works, is more for the better : )

RES: I love the face and head! And those flotting egg/orbs look cool too. But the body can't be seen that clearly. The crit would be that, that I'd like to see a bit more of the body, so I get a better idea of the whole creature design.

Fozzybar: lol, they found one on the coast of Argentina, huh? I haven't heard of that news here yet ; P
    I'm loving the perspective on this creature, and how the image is painted. The frontal claws look too much like a beetle or insect's claws, I think it could have added more uniqueness to the creature to alter them somewhat so they don't resemble an insect's appendages that much, but still look dangerous and scary. I don't understand the bright halo around it too much, I can see its a bioluminiscent device, but there's no mention of it in your description. It looks like its placed at a weird angle too, though the lighting it casts looks really cool, and I like the warm/cool contrast.
    The creature idea is very cool, and I like the fact that its a cryptid : )

tuchten: it looks like a really interesting idea and the description really keeps the interest but you cut it off so suddenly! I would have liked to know more about this, like, why did we forever cry because of it? Did it destroy cities, ships? How? Why does the creature look like that, why does it have that form, those appendages? What I'm saying is this looks like something interesting and original and I would have liked to see you tell more about it and develop it more.
    I like the presentation idea of dark water version versus size comparsion version, but I dont think relying only on something that looks like inversing it in photoshop is the best way. Maybe using the inverse function but also adding colors, shadows, etc.

Form: Wow, the idea is awesome. Nice and scary description. I like the image, and I dont have much crits, only add some more bright/saturated colors on the creature. Some parts look a bit sketchy, like the arm and hands, but the attention is not placed there so its not a big issue, but still, I would have liked to see that defined a bit more. Good job.

scumgrinder: original and interesting idea, the image could use more contrast in color between the creature and background. Also some more shading on the creature's body to define the form more, and darkening the areas around the purple lights so they really pop out. Cool stuff : )

eliWolff: I couldn't see your entry, just a red "x" : S

Phew, done.
    Take the things I say with a grain of salt and use your own criteria though : P

Congrats to everyone who participated and good round, hope to see you all continuing to push yourselves and participating if you want, and thank you guys all who voted for me and commented, thank you very much for your kind words : )

EDIT 3: haha Foz, I knew you were too lazy to type my nickname correctly, as if it was an awkward nickname to type or something ; P lol
    Thank you the vote and comments, you're right, the lower part of the image isnt balanced in tones/colors... I tryied to work that out but didn't know how : S
    Panda and dusty thanks for the comments too, panda you're right, its lacking in perspective, next time I'll try to consider the perspective more.

Again, thank all of you guys for your comments. See you in round 25 ; )

Last edited by brokk; October 10th, 2005 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahah everybody keeps calling my stuff "cool" which is starting to sound more and more like an euphemism for half assed. I would appreciate pointers like broken spirit just did. THAT IS ALL, DUDES

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1