Art Center vs. School of Visual ARts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Center vs. School of Visual ARts

Well,
    my dream was always to end up at Art CEnter since it's supposed to be 'godly' for what I want to do. However, it isn't free, and I think it will be too much for my parents and I to handle financially since I have 2 sisters that will be entering college in turn right after me.
    So... I decided to look at some other schools.
    The School of Visual ARts is appealing to me since it's in NYC which is about 40mins-1 hour away from my home, and that it is not as expensive as ACC(art center).
    I'm applying to scholarships and all, but I don't think it will cut it. And I highly doubt that I will get a free-ride to AC.

So I just wanted to know the opinion from people who are attending/attended there.
    Good? Bad? Okay? Exceptional?

My main question: In comparison to Art Center, how IS SVA (school of visual arts)?

Thanks in advance,
    Annis

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What exactly do you want to do? Rather than comparing school to school, you really have to compare department to department.
    For instance, SVA and Art Center have the two best illustration programs in the country (IMNSHO). But SVA has no industrial design department, so if that's your focus, look elsewhere.
    There are a ton of current and former SVA folks around here, so if you have any specific questions I'm sure they can be answered.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to check out the Art Schools and Education section, located here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

You should be able to find all the info you need there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should go to sva so i can antagonize you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang, I thought this was going to be a challange thread between Art Center students and SVA students when I initially saw the title.

Quote Originally Posted by annisahmad
    ..for what I want to do.
    Uh, what do you want to do? Entertainment? Then Art Center is your place. I had some friends who went to SVA for animation and CG. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with what they came out with.

No place is cheap. You're going to need loans for just about anywhere, but the investment will pay off in the end if you really commit to the education.

I can't really speak from experience about SVA, however I can speak about Art Center. Its quite an increadible school. Light years beyond Pratt where I attended before.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Avoid Pratt at all cost

Anthony Camilo
    "Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys

well, i was looking to get into entertainment (concept-design for games/movies) in the future. So, I guess Art Center is the obvious choice since all of your posts so far say nay :-P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But if you come to SVA you can hang out with super cool people like me and winjer!
    I really can't talk a ton about the experiance here though since I'm in my first year unless you want to listen to me bitch about my foundation teachers etc.
    Other then that though I love it here, nyc is an amazing place to be an art student. I got into Art Center last year with a small scholarship but it was just too far away from home for me to deal with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by camilografix
    Avoid Pratt at all cost
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowsfall
    nyc is an amazing place to be an art student. I got into Art Center last year with a small scholarship but it was just too far away from home for me to deal with.
    Yes, NYC is wonderful. I loved it there and would give almost anything to return. However, there is next to nothing in terms of work for entertainment in NY. NYC Illustration and art in general tends to be on the commercial and editorial side of things, rather than the entertainment side. NYC fine art is goundbreaking, and the illustration is rather cutting edge. But in terms of concept art and pre-production developement art, there is very very little. One of the biggest draws of Art Center besides the amazing cirriculum is its base in LA. It is near the epicenter of entertainment for the entire world just about. Every major studio is here in one form or another for film, TV, and games.

I hate LA, but the jobs are here. If you properly commit yourself to the education and network properly, you will have very little trouble finding a job. Once you have your first job, you can move anywhere else after making a name for yourself. If you are going to go for entertainment in NYC, you will be sorely dissapointed come graduation when you try to find a job.

Last edited by Helium Macaroni; October 8th, 2005 at 05:24 PM.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just curious about SVA...

0) How's the foundation year? I heard some bad things about it...I dunno.

1) Do the first year students take all the same courses?

2) Any 3D courses? (cuz I dislike 3D courses!) heh

3) If you decide to become an illustrator during foundation year, can you just take illustration orientated classes?? That be nice

thanks
    heee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Foundation year is good for some, bad for others, really depends on what block of teachers you get. Mine aren't terrible, but they aren't good either. They are all the nicest people in the world but when it comes to crits, it really isn't very helpful.

All majors don't take the same classes, but related majors do. For example I'm in classes with illustration, fine arts, animation, graphics design, cartooning and advertising majors. Others like computer arts, photography and film majors have a different set of foundation courses to take.

No 3D for me

And no real major specific classes in my case until second year(which I am looking forward too )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the reply Snowsfall! good help

if it wouldn't be too much...can you list all the courses you're taking for foundation year?
    mega thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helium> that's exactly my train of thought. , i've been pushed toward AC again. heh. thanks!

snowfall> i live near NYC, (north jersey) , and for some reason, the last time i visited the city, i loved it so much because i was thinking of it in terms of going to school there. it would be awesome . but i want to lean more toward opportunity rather then fun for now. although it is very very tempting to go there just because of the city.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Den: foundation year is a painting class, drawing class, art history, sculpture and some kind of learn to use adobe software class. I only learned stuff in the adobe software class. Now that im in second year i like it a lot better. The classes seem to have a point and i feel like i might learn something. You should transfer to sva. CCAD SUXXX

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well since I'm stupid I'm in the honors program(which makes me smart??? maybe?) So I have the normal Painting, Drawing and Sculpture/Digital art class thingie but I also have 2 extra liberal arts classes a week. So instead of Lit. class I have Philosophy, History of War, American History along with the regular art history. Interesting classes but the extra workload is tough.

Annis - You can still move out to LA after graduating. As long as you work your ass off you can find work no matter where you went to school. With the internet and what not location isn't quite as important. Art Center does look like it has some awsome classes though

Members who have read this thread: 2