**ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: **ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb **ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

FINISHED WORK-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINISHED... on to the next character, hopefully this next one won't take as much time.

FINISHED....but Crits are welcome.

FINISHED....but like always Crits are welcome. I did this for The Character of the Week.

There is a tutorial of this picture in my SKETCHES AND WIP section, check it out if your interested. Heres to you Loren Buddy-o-Pal hope this helps you,

SKETCHES and WIP---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey everyone!

I have realized that the time has come for me to do some more "fantasy" type stuff so I can eventually get a damn job. SO...I am trying to draw a character a day and so far it is proving somewhat successful. I will hopefully post another one today, but seriously I am soo scatterbrained it's rediculous. Hope everyone likes.
    These drawings I'm going to paint so any Crit. would be welcome.

TUTORIAL

pencil.. sorry the quality is so bad on the sketch except the last. My scanner is way too small, and it would have been hell to scan all of these WIP and paste them togther.

painting...

I. Painted a texture with tradition acrylic, scanned, then put it as a layer under multipy, top layer. Put that layer on 50% opacity to see drawing underneath, then began eraseing the texture to see the complete drawing.

II. Finished eraseing, ready to paint.

III. Putting in colors to see what I want. I already know I want the skirt red so i don't bother at this point.

IV. I select the background layer and start fooling with the values in image->adjustment->LEVELS.

V. I add white to her guarder belt and the wife beater shirt(screwed up name, but hey they look cool, lol) light blue for shadows. Added reds, and took away the layer that was her hair because I like the white better. start indicateing shadows on her buttock,

VI. Add shadows to skirt, gray and brown to bullet holder, rendered goggles, rendered face mask and add green to bullets.

VII. Add castshadows to skirt , and pattern to guarder and thighhighs, keep in mind all these different steps are on seperate layers.

VIII. Worked on jacket, adding shadows, and medium tones. Add dark tips to hair, Render guns, boots, pattern on boots.

IX. Add darker medium tones, realized it was looking washed out and flat, and add burn hole to guarder and thighhighs.

X. ok so I add accent here and there, like the glimmer on the boots, accent the core shadow aslo. add patches, and dirt on her coat. I aslo darkened her bullet sash and put bright greens on the bullets. At the very end I went to Levels and made the darks a bit darker, and the highlights a bit lighter to push the contrast more, also I added a shadow.

Well there you go that it my process it can be way more efficient, I am very new to photoshop so if anyone has tricks and faster ways to do things tell me, . hope this helped any newbies.

painting in progress...still workin on the damn face haven't got it yet, any crits are welcome of course

ok so it's takeing longer then I thought but here is my process and the head shot for Arkady

ok so I think I need to work more on the dress and sword maybe, let me know what you think.

well yet again it is not finished,. I am getting a little sick and tired of working on this, and I'm loseing motivation, but here is yet another process. I just need to tighten up things here and there. I just need to grunt through it.

The second painting WIP... I've been pretty sick this past week so that is why I haven't posted earlier. crits. are welcome of course,

working...not done yet but which of these looks best, the first or second.Also imagine a pattern on his skirt, and the first not so contrasty in his chest, maybe even lighter.

Last edited by poise; November 12th, 2005 at 10:52 PM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these, Tiffany. I gotta say, that first one with the armored top and what looks like a ballgown, is really fascinating. Keep it up.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree! The first one is terrific!
    The second is also good, but that lady DEFINITELY gets your attention...

Best success at sticking with this! You can do it!

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no crits, they look awesome, but the only small gripe is that you didn't pay much attention to her dress.....the botton portion, and it shows.
    LoL, that reminds me, i was doing some googling earlier on "back gown", like madster adviced. almost similar, now i just need to find an image with similar folds for the piece im currently working on.
    Anyways, back to you, i'm digging these,
    Go ahead and color these bad boys!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Poise,

no crits this time. I really like those. Good anatomy and interesting characters and they are very different from your BodyMatch designs. I'm sure the coloured version of the first lady will be cool, because of that kind of armour.

Keep it up, you're definetely on the right way ('wish I was too ...)

See ya!

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    these look amazing.
    let the drawing do the work for you in the painting.
    its ok for it to show through a little.

on #1, i would show where the tip of the sword touches the ground.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the first one a lot. You might want to lengthen the gown just a little bit. Even though it might realistically be the "right" length for her legs, she'll look more regal and commanding with it a bit longer, and it will balance the heaviness of the armor more.

Second one looks good, too, but there should be a little more curve and offset to his neck, to continue the "s" of the spine.

let the drawing do the work for you in the painting.
    its ok for it to show through a little.
    Listen to Dan. You have a tendancy to go too heavy too soon.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    certainly off to a good start, peoples gonna be watchin yoo... no pressure..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats some wicked design. wonderfull drawing skill as well.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    "By the breaking of my thumbs something wicked this way comes."
    ₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪ ₪₪₪₪
    Download Nebezials Digital Painting Tutorial in PDF from my site. Located in the downloads section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a naked man in the process of being clothed. So soon I will post the next character

Thanks everyone for the crits and nice words.
    and I think your right Dan about painting and workin with my line drawing, thank you for the advice
    Elwell: that is a good idea of extending her dress to make her look more regal, thank you! I will also tweak the guys head. I have started painting him, but I think I'm going to start over
    Mono: yeah I didn't spend a long time on her dress, I was thinking of putting a pattern on it, but not sure.

Well anyway guys you will see another character soon. I need to start getting my ass in gear, and pump these suckers out

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, i was thinking on putting a pattern on mine as well, maybe something gothic-ish. Anybody have a tutorial on how to do pattern designs on Painter 9?
    Btw, are you using ps or painter to color?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work. you definitely nailed the contraposto pose in the second one. it allows for the character to have balance as well as potential movement. i can see a slight repetition of the potential movement in the characters face as well. keeping the mouth at a slight opening gives me the feeling that he was in the middle of a breath, or speech, or even a relaxed jaw. very convincing indeed. also allowing the foot with action to peak out of the fabric helps to continue that rhythm you established. no cc. cant wait to see them both painted!

- Kinjark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    YO!
    character a day?!
    where's my update, slacker?!
    :whipcrack:

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tiffany,

These look awesome!!! waht are you using for refrence?

I agree with dan about letting the drawing to the work. You already did the hard part, now you just have to accent it with color (if you wish - i think they are pretty strong as they are - but you know me, i loves me the linework)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was half expecting a character today..
    *raises pitchfork*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If that degree of technical capabilities can't get you a damned job, I think I'm gonna cry.

All I can say that is they sure look ready for painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha!! oh man! you guys are really on my ass no it's good though. I need the pitchforks, and wipcracks, and the ass patting, um.. take away ass patting . so... um I feel like I dug my self in a hole , lol (laughs nervously) ok so I won't dissapoint, this week I will start fresh and mon. I will have a character on board , same as tues. and wed, and so on. but I got to say weekends are off limits, there is too much going on. And seriously I have faith that if I slip you guys will be on my ass, so thanks in advance, haha. see you monday!

Arkady: thanks dude!! I used some ref. on line of Armor and a dress, and my head, pretty much just ramdon pics to get inspired and find structure. I had the idea of my characters, then I just looked for what I needed to make them beleivable.

Last edited by poise; October 9th, 2005 at 02:00 AM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How many days has it been??? Let's see, that's one character a day, been a few days now...What day are we on??? Hmmm, there's definitely a few lacking...Hey!!! What's the deal??? Where are those GORGEOUS new characters?!?!?!?

(what a ripoff...grrrr...guess I'll have to ogle the old ones again...sigh)

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    YOU OWE ME A BIT MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER/S!! *munches cookie patiently*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quoted by me :
    "this week I will start fresh, and mon. I will have a character on board , same as tues. and wed, and so on. but I got to say weekends are off limits, there is too much going on"

That goes for this past weekend. Ha! Ha!

'stoph: I can totally image you as an angry little man with a mustache, munching on a cookie.haha.
    Today is the day for characters so don't fret I'll give you your damn characters.
    I feel soo used (crys in corner).

Mono: I started useing painter, but I think I might change over to good old Phototshop.

Jeri: it's a tough world out there, if you want we can cry together.

Last edited by poise; October 10th, 2005 at 10:29 AM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    heyyy.. check out my avatar. do i look like i have a moustache? do i even look like i could grow one in the first place?! hehe. lookin forward to it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHARACTER: 10-9-05, who do,you do. the power of the babe.

ok.. Character Time! Crit's? say nice things? whatever feels comfortable can't wait for tomorrow!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, T! I love the elven male especially. Keep em coming.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got a crit!!! Too much time in between posts..gggrrrr...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Tif.

I'm gonna be a bastard and crit the heall out of this last one.

This is the first character in this thread that is in an action pose and it is also the stiffest of them all. For the First two you made, waht would otherwise be boring poses interesting by giving them character; the attitude on the girl and the dainty contrapasto on the elf dude. For this last one, you had a lot of potential to make it even more lively becasue it is an action pose. I would pull the arms back more and exagurate the pose to thrust his chest out more, it would work better and an action pose. Then you have all that cloth and hair that you can make wild and add to the action, but instead they are fairly stiff too (sepecially the hair - what's up with that wacky defined shape hair???). and the third thing i'd add is way more flies. That there seems like one of the central themes of this character, the flies. so why not go wild, make them snake around him like you're doing with the cloud thing, but exagurate their flow and work them into the compositon more to get rid of all that empty space.

it's late, i hope my ranting actually makes sence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Woah! Nice looking! I don't know if it's just me, or does the outer bands on the horns go into his jaw? Right in front of his ears? I like the feathers. I see hes been playing around with blood or something with his hands. Eeevil... Or just wild.

(Oh, and by "nice looking", I mean really great! I love the first two ones!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tiffany- great seeing you again, and peeking inside your sketchbook. I feel I understand a little more about your ability and sensibilities.
    I said it before...I think you are a great draftsman (draftswoman?) - and Dan is right on the money...let your linework shine through on those paintings (same goes for you Amish!) - It's just so seductive...
    Arkady gave a great crit on the last one...alot of good points. I think the character is cool enough to really put some effort into. To add to what he said, when you push those arms back and push out the chest I would let his abdomen sink in a bit, causing the ribcage to stand out as well. just a thought
    Also...I think one of the reasons the first one is so successful is the placement of the figure on the page. She has this 'regal' pose and she's central to the viewer...giving her almost an iconic look. Even in drawings the design of the page and placement of shapes is really important. Just another thing to be aware of.
    quick question: are you looking for more "concept design" work or illustration? just curious
    You're awesome...can't wait to see more.

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with amish. although this is a technically more difficult design, you've lost some structural integrity. what made the first two sick was the mood you've protrayed in the character. In this latest piece, you've lost rhythm. its seems stiff.His ribcage is slightly tilted to his left that makes his pose a bit off balance.
    I'm digging the design sense and posture.
    great ellipses, form.
    Well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Tiff. I basically agree with Amish and Loomer on the pose of the most recent work. I think if you pull the right arm back significantly it would line with the other better (I don't think the left is off much really). The neck also feels out of whack with the line of the back, perhaps Tilting the the head up and the neck (or whole body?) back a bit more will be more convincing. Oooh, and definitely more flies. Having them stream out out in an interesting shape could really help the composition. Just my opinions.

Really love the first two, esp the iron maiden. Very nice. Keep it up (insert whip-crack onomatopoeia)!

-Balaskas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone!

L: thankx dude. your the shiznick!!

Kanji2000: hahah! your the bully of this thread,lol.

Arkady: whoo!! ho!! you really ripped me a new one, but you are right on a lot of things. I was unsatisfied with this one for some reason, and even with your crit. I feel like it just doesn't have the soul the other ones have. thanx dude for spending time to give me a good crit. I appreciate it for sure .

Serpian: Hey thanx! the band you are talking about is supposed to be wrapping around another band. I will see if I can make that more clear. (thats me thinking)

Scott: mm yeah dude you guys are giveing me a lot to think about. Draftsman, Draftswoman,...potatoes, patatoes. Doesn't matter to me .
    I'm looking for anything cool I can get my grubby little hands on. But really I am doing these chararcters so I can possibly do cards or covers for Wizards. Just trying to do more Fantasy stuff so I will get work. thanx for your nice words... your awesome as well

Mono: I always like your crits., I gotta say. ok... so the ribcage, I was staring at it for a bit, and yes his left rib is wonky and too low, thanks for pointing that out . And thanks for your nice words

I will have to practice my gestures. Truthfully that is what I'm the worst at. So I'm glad you guys are all on my asses, man Illustrators are soo awesome!! I feel a overwehlming love for you guys right now, hahah sorry, is that wierd?( maybe it's the caffeine talking , lol (awkward silence).............................
    Anyway...I will have to start painting these suckers soon. But really I'm glad you guys all stopped by here again, thanks for helpin a sista out, peace!

-T

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1