**ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL - Page 5

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by poise
    No I don't have prelim sketches of her, I just drew her on the spot.
    REALLY ? I mean, really ? You amazed me with your skills, Tiffany ! Ho, page 3 ? Congrats ! A lot of cool stuff coming, for sure ! Can't wait anymore to see your "Golden Compass" turned to finish illo.
    Bon travail !
    Julien

Julien ALDAY
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arkady: damn i just accidently closed this window! well yeah the elf is wierd looking, and i will just have to goof with it more. I was trying out a style, but evidentely it didn't work, haha. And I'm glad you still respect my ass, especially what happened last sun. I'm embarrassed sorta, just feel bad for the person who has to clean it up haha! anyway man thanks for being honest, see you sometime soon.

Kanji2000: hey man thanks for the nice words and motivation, it's good to hear that people see the characters come out of my drawings also. sometimes I feel like it wasn't me who drew them, they just decided to come out. I'll keep them comin.

Julien: hey man! yeah I was pretty excited about haveing a page 3, actually I was pretty excited to have a page 2. hey man don't go thinking I'm super great because i used some ref. for her. I posted what I used for ref. so you can get the idea of how I work. Interceptor wants me to do a step by step for my next character so you can see how I draw also. I can't wait to do the Ill. of her too. but I might take some time on it to get a good comp. I think I will do it in oil, so I should have a good game plan.
    what does Bon Travail mean?...good travel?just guessing.

**ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I posted what I used for ref. so you can get the idea of how I work.
    Yup, that's the way to do it. Cram as much as you possibly can into your head, and let the important stuff come out through the pencil .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    At last, somebody call me by my real name, YES !!!
    Hello Tiffany.

hey man don't go thinking I'm super great because i used some ref. for her.
    Ho, no, you're not great, you just kicking my ass draws after draws (plus in the early morning !) You know that I use the photo ref a lot, I don't see what's the matter with ref... No, I just dig your style a lot. Closer to my european sensibility ? Don't know exactly why...
    Wich girl is the young miss prothero in the whole set ?

what does Bon Travail mean?...good travel?just guessing.
    As I can say "Good luck" (aka "bonne chance", in French !), "bon travail" means "Good Work". Hum, "work well" maybe sounds better !
    Cheers, T.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice work

Howdy Tiff,

Love the Lyra sketch (perhaps a bit more blousing in the knickers?). It will be interesting to see what you do in the background, composition-wise. I feel the same as Arkady in regards to the pattern in your second piece (you didn't do your super-secret P-Shop technique?), and would suggest you switch color and value between his hair and skirt. The pattern is sucking up all the attention while I think the focus should be on his pensive, brooding expression (which I dig).

Why, oh why did I have to miss your "special" moment after the sketch-group the other week!?!! No more Dallas BBQ Boozin' for you!

My hysterical girlfriend has left for Tokyo, so I'll be joining y'all for the sketch-group and SoI figure drawing sessions. See you there and keep up the pace Ace.

-Balaskas

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cbalaskas...what did you do to that poor woman that left her hysterical and on a plane to the other side of the world? you devil you

tiffany- I'm definetly in the minority, but I like the very plain pose of your snowsuit girl. But I also have a soft spot for the more "quiet" pictures than the often superdynamiccrazyaction poses often seen. As always, beautifully drawn. In the reference, is that you in the upper right corner? adorable.

i know everyone's been getting on you for the second piece...so I'll be no different. 2 easy fixes, which i think can improve it tenfold:
    1.) those RGB green dots in the center of the pattern on his skirt are jumping way out of the pleasant color harmony. Be rid of them!
    2.) perhaps, forget about the pattern swatch (Photoshop or illustrator) and hand draw the pattern. It'll give it a bit more life. I know it worked very well in the first piece, but this time it's not as effective.

I sent arkady an email...i would like all of us to check out the Egon Schiele show (before or after sketching) - I would be a nice way for me to reunite with our crazy sketch group - it's been like 20 years
    cheers !

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Julien: hey man! well I do agree with you I don't see anything wrong with useing reference, I just didn't want to give the idea that I had no outside influence and all these drawings just came out of my ass . Though, I do think ref. has it's place and creative drawing out of your mind has another place, they are both important.

I totally dig the french styles of art/comics, that is probably why there is maybe a little euro flava in there. it has probably been a lot of influencial artist mashed together.

And the reference that I posted those are all from the internet. No pics of me. But it does feel like a little photo album for my character.

Chris: yeah I need to go back and tackle that stubborn elf, it's just giving me problems you know.
    yeah man I'm a light weight, it was crazy, projectile crazy, lol!! fun times.
    well thats cool you will be hangin more often I didn't go last week, but I will be there this week most likely. thanx dude for your crit.

OH SCOTT!: you make my heart melt. I'm glad when people relate to me. I DO love the quiet moments soo much it hurts.haha. anyway yeah I will still play around with her gesture and comp. and see what happens.
    Everyone is very right about the darn skirt, lol! I know it's wierd, I need to change it. (what a wierd ass icon) anyway thank you sir. for the crit. I will change him soon.
    Yes, that would be nice to all go to the Egon Schiels show, I'm down.
    How is your life by the way? babies doing good, wife doing good?

Well guys I'm out. PEACE!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    post new work +tutorial at top of page 1

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    on the last one, you are right the right arm is funkified...I think the the forearm and the hand should be angled away from the body a little more, and throw a little foreshortening into it...other than that it is fantastic looking...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what's happening Tiff?!?!?! - i'm having withdrawal symptoms from the lack of new work!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I know. actually I have been workin on the sketckgroup TD and have been failing, . and I'm supposed to be working on that character for my friend, all these I can't show. But yeah soon you will see stuff.
    keep up your good work though Arkady. I like your last character very much, .

Thanks capt underoo

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Come on T. !!! I'm sure you got a little somthing to show us ! Maybe your cute Mortimer's version ? And how progress your "Golden Compass" illo ?
    Cheers T.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. I'm enjoying the hell out of these. *bookmarks*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is amazing! Perfect balance in your pieces and plenty of dynamic energy. I really admire you as an artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Julien: here is the Golden Compass Drawing I've been working on, next paint, but in oils, not photoshop,

Patch: Thanx Man!!

OrozcO: Thank You!!

Here is the Drawing for the next painting I'm working on, any Crits. are appreciated, but I think I'm pretty set except for a few things, Fresh eyes are always helpful though,

ok so I changed some things like here eyes looking glazed over, but that won't really be super obvious untill I paint it. I moved down the mountains, and pushed in the guy calling for Lyra in the background.

**ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL **ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

Last edited by poise; January 3rd, 2006 at 05:36 PM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Tiffany is back!!!! w00t!!!

my only crit is that its unclear waht the girl is looking at. seems like she sould be looking at the light show in her hands. but you can easily do this by just pointing her eyes toward her hands.

one more thing if i want to be picky. the horizon line is dead center and kinda starts to compete with the focal pint in the piece. compositionaly this is a no no, but i think you can avoid major changes by deemphasizing the mountains (especially around the character) and making them blend more with the sky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I changed her eyes, and made her head just a tad bit bigger to push her little kidness, let me know if that works, or if I should just not make it bigger.
    I think she looks a bit surpised/freaked with the new change, which could work. Originally I wanted to have her look like she was in a trance because that is what she does when she reads the Golden Compass in the book. But if it was confuseing and people struggle to figure out whats she's looking at, then I should just have her look at the compass, right?
    well let me know what you think,

Oh! and totally Arkady the mountains will be much less noticeable in the painting.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, Tiffany ! Great composition here, can't be compare with the first sketch. Amazing ! My only regret is that you remove the tiny-furry-creature of the shoulder of the girl... FOR A BUTTERFLY ? In that cold place ? I don't give it a chance to survive ! Ha ! Ha ! More seriously: The golden compass seems a most important element of your pic and that's a good thing. I "kiffe" the design, more attractive, mysterious, bravo ! Can't wait to see you push it with oils. Hope you'll post it in the "finally finished" section.
    Cheers, T. Have a sweet new year 2006 !
    Julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy SHIT, T. This is.. just awesome. Man. This is easily your best work yet. I'm excited for it, now!!! Even moreso than when you were telling me about it... lol. and I will take credit for sending you inspirational music, hahah .

The picture on the right has the better expression I think. A bit more amazement of the light coming from the compass.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if the eyes are completely working in either version. I think if her eyes move downward her eybrows should also, otherwise, as you've said, she looks surprised. Of course, my cheap and dirty illustrator's instincts are to get rid of her irises entirely and give the alethiometer and her eyes a similar glow. Like I said, cheap and dirty .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Body language plays a big role in telling a story...Her body language doesn't indicate anything at this point...What her arms are doing seems to tell a diffferent story to what her head is doing...Is she supposed to be in a trance??? Is she afraid of this thing??? Is this thing an important factor in the story??? Is it the focus of the scene??? Once you give these questions a clear answer, you can quickly and decisively decide on her pose, attitude, and overall feel...Good luck on this...Looking forward to more developments...

Oh yeah, Happy New Year!!! Here's to taking it to the next level!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    my cheap and dirty illustrator's instincts are to get rid of her irises entirely
    hahaah,
    exactly what i was thinking.
    the eyes seemed "ok" in the first version,
    they didnt bother me either way...
    but they definetly bother me in the second.

i think a blank stare is ok at times.
    it adds a trance-like expression to her.
    there is a waterhouse painting that i LOVE simply because of the blank stare.
    here, medea is about to poison her lover...
    **ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

i also agree with arkady,
    i think the horizon should drop a little.
    it will emphasize the "mandorla" effect around her head...
    it'll look almost religious.

anyways,
    GREAT job so far!

btw, you are my 1000th post.
    dont you feel special now?
    i was saving it just for you

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    Of course, my cheap and dirty illustrator's instincts are to get rid of her irises entirely and give the alethiometer and her eyes a similar glow.
    i second this. it will get rid of any particular emotion that the eyes will want to convey and make her look more in a trance. and after you do this if you still feel the need to add pupils you can just hint them subtelly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds good!!
    I'm glad I'm your 1000 post Dan I DO feel special!
    Ok The horizen could be fixed easy. And that is cool you noticed the religious aspect because thats what I was getting at. The Book has a very religious/spiritual undertone, especially the importance of Lyra and the compass.
    And I love Waterhouse, he does that kind of thing soo well!

I'm soo glad about the Blank stare because I loved that part, and the trick or the glow will be very appropriate I think, Thanx Elwell!!

Thanx Loren, you are my Music Muse,

Julien, thanx man! Yeah I like the Ferret too, but I felt it took away from her face, and her furry hood with the shapes being so similar. this animal/Lyra's subconscious is a shape changer. It is a white glowing moth, no pretty butterflys here. happy new years to you too!! I 'kiffe' your comments, as always.

Arkady, thanx man, It seems like it will come together when I put it on board and start valueing it up,

Everyone gave me so much more to think about and focus on, thanx for your comment. I really appreciate them!! anymore are of course welcome,

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tiff--

Not sure I can add much that hasn't been said. As far as the surprised look in her eyes, I believe that has more to do with her lids than her brows-- the amount of white above her pupil/iris is giving her the "eyes wide open in fear" look. What's funny is that it wasn't until the second post, with the fear look on the girls face, that I noticed how much the dog immediatelly to the left of her has a slightly "concerned" look on his face. Take that for what it's worth....

Other than that, I can only echo some of the compositional suggestions already made here, and give a nice asspat to tell you how much I love the drawing (and your drawing style overall... I really need to learn the amazing "abbreviated" style that you've accomplished). Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    poise, you must be some kind of elfen goddess! You can take your paint and color me an elven shade of impressed!

EXCELSIOR!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh! man! hahahahaha!!!!! Nate , hahaha!! lolol!
    holy shit!
    seriously I am still laughing.....
    your making me cry now, lol....
    words cannot express how that made me feel. brilliant!!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you do some hawaiian elves in grass skirts with some bananas barbara bradley style?

you've really improved since then.. hope you're liking new york more than san fran..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're all so cool!
    Can I ask, what are all these for? just personal works, practice,
    or for some project you're working on?

Just curious.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, poise. That's very beautiful work of yours, every piece is precious. I remember in Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale 'Wild swans" the little Eliza had a wonderful book, full of pictures, "which had cost as much as half a kingdom".
    When she opened the page in this book, beautifully dressed people jumped out of it and they talked to her and entertained her and when she closed the page people rushed to jump in back, or it would've been a mess . So your characters remind me this book of my childhood dreams. Actually, this forum is my book now .

All of the characters are pleasure to look. I wish to see close-up on how you did these wonderful textures: lace on stockings, silk on the dress of the first girl ( thank you so much for the close-up of her face, it's a very interesting portrait on its on. Such a proud and gorgeous face, and it gives very eerie feeling, I don't recognise her as total human, she is very strange). All characters are equally interesting and enjoyable to me, the first one is just very domineering character and people like confident stable personalities.

I would love too see close-up of the sword, her armor. I'm shaking my head, amazing what human being is capable to create, wonderful combination of elegance and confrontation to normal , in most of your images in this thread.

http://www.tprothero.com/images/whiteElfC11W.jpg I like indefinite of the person. Hard to tell if he (she) is fragile or strong, the personality is slipping away from grabbing as colors you chose. I like it a lot. This character is very in spirit of the Silver century of Art, time of exotic and decadent images. The character has an aura of beauty and seduction, and momentary, fleeting, not for long. The whole art of mentioned period had this aura. Very far from material life, too fragile and whimsical. To stay long it will have to have elephant feet, not those thin, weightless. I like that you just filled the skirt with patterned fill, not trying to make it look realistic. Very elegant, gives a wonderful artificial detail to this character, as I see it.

The character in the red skirt is my absolute favorite. I love all these shocking for me details, like holes on her stockings. It's got to be some memories from life experience to put those details in picture. Amazing. I would love to see close ups of all textures in this piece, if it's not too much trouble. It's really a pity not to see all this awesome work in the close range. So if it's possible , please show the close-ups on her boots, lace, jacket, fur, face and stockings.
    All three characters have a personality, they are very independent and nonconformist, but they don't look like someone you can meet in real life. All personalities are exaggerated.

The flying demon looks very promising too, I especially like that he is flying, weightless. Looks very extreme already .

And I like the last image very much, The white BG gives an illusion of light and snow, and those furs and spacious coats always looks so cosy, homey, the same as big dogs. Fur is a very relaxing image, don't you think?
    Well thank you so much, for this beautiful art, I admire all this and look forward to see more and more. I saved all of them, thank you again.
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; January 25th, 2006 at 04:05 PM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.