**ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: **ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wait, how did you manage to do those painstaking designs on her dress?
    geez, phonomenal job on details.
    I still would've like it to be a bit more shiny, but you can't satisfy everyone.
    well done.

Don't touch me!!!
    your not my priest!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch ! Ouch !
    Hi, Poise ! Nice stuff... no, WONDERFULL stuff. My only crit is concerning the pleats of her dress. I find its too "smooth", comparing to the armor, the face. Anyway, it's a good work, well done.
    Cheers !

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work..
    i think the ear one the painted chick in your first post looks detached.. it has way more red in it than the face.
    put more of the skin tone near the connection so it slowly flows into the trnslucent ear red.
    also i'd recommend to use simpeler strokes. get that right then go on to detailing fase..

i love your pencils.. wish i could do that.. .. good job on those and not really crits on those, maybe just that i see dark spots here and there where i wouldn't expect them.. they distract the eye and kinda break it appart. also the shading could use more thought.. it has some weird spots here and there..

cheers,
    wi2

sketchbook

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit.. where have it been??? i feel like I got lost in the twilight zone or something... remember what i said about chicks.. Scratch that your awesome... holy shit.. like really awesome... i keep on trying to see that painting on the top of the page but, i see nothing... you have a markoish sorta style of drawing, which we all know is an excellent thing.... man.. i gotta check in here more often... and btw- I wouldnt worry too much about getting a job... your well on your way.. oh and another thing congrats on yuour nephew... oh, and one more thing that other artist chick I was telling you about is Celia Calle...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posted new WIP on the top of page 1.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahhh!
    you're done!
    STOP!

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know that you're totally finished, but you are a lot closer than you think.

Someone to check out, if you aren't already familiar (and reacquaint yourself with if you are):
    Charles Vess

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what are you talking about? I'm done with what? the second painting?

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it looks great Tiffany....the textile designs on the dress really enhanced the picture, and was very appropriate to the character. I've been looking at it, and can't find anything to crit. Lovely -

- can't wait to see the next one, you talented mofo

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you guys think I overworked the first one, or should I have done it more in a watercolor style, is that what direction you think will fit my drawing better? I'm really confused at this stage for some reason. I do think I need to work more on the second painting because there is more I want to do with it. I don't know which way I should go with my rendering style. I like that guys work you mention Elwell, and I like Claire Wendling's work, but I'm just stuck because I like the painterly look as well. I kinda want to fuse both of those together, I'm just sorta stuck right now and don't have a distinct rendering style. tell me what you guys think. I think you already are, but I need to hear precicely what I'm doing wrong?

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally love how you did the first one...she looks regal, proud, and precise, which is exactly how you rendered her. Gave her a very majestic look, which is not out of place at all. = )

There is no reason, though, that you can't experiement with different styles on the same image! I do lots of different renditions on the same images b/c I have trouble making up my mind. Do a bunch of different versions that express the styles you want to express, lay them out in front of you, and see if there is a way you can fuse them, even if it's just a little bit. Worse case scenario, you still got a lot of practice.

you're my hero. ; )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tiffany- i totally understand where you are coming from. When I decided to redo my entire portfolio I was kind of at a similar crossroad. I kind of went in there trying a few things, and after awhile something just felt right. Everytime I do a piece I feel I am one step closer to developing my artistic voice.
    You can kind of tell when you are forcing something...or it feels unnatural. That doesn't mean that this style isn't for you....but if you don't know keep at it. Things will fall into place if you work hard enough to push them there.

I like this piece a lot...It is different than the "afro chick" piece that I associate with you...but I feel your personality comes through in both.
    If you like Charles Vess, I recommend these guys:
    Edmund Dulac
    Arthur Rackham
    Heath Robinson
    Ivan Biblin

I also think at a point you shouldn't be asking us what you are doing wrong. I don't feel anyone should tell you what style you should work in...trust your gut. That's obviously a personal opinion...but I must voice it for the sake of your craft! I'm an ass...sorry

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think your drawing is sooo solid, that it doesnt need a lot of paint to explain things.
    thats the point of painting, to develope ideas, not to clutter them.
    let that drawing show through.

you can still achieve color and atmosphere without a bold painterly look.

personally, if i were hitler... and i could make you do what ever i wanted...
    i would make you paint more like this guy:
    http://www.fantasyweb.idv.tw/yilu/ga...m/1/index1.htm

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that last character as is. It looks to me like she's caught in a blast of wind from behind her so the hair doesn't bother me at all and I like her proportions. I never mind if a female character looks slightly manly - especially since she's sort of bestial anyway, it seems ok. I love the thrust of her body - there's so much energy there. There might be issues with the far arm, but I dont' see much wrong with the near one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posted new WIP at top of page 1

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Tiff. looking good. You know me, I'll be the first to root for the looser watercolor look, but the problem with that is that for the particular market you are looking to get these in that type of washy, loose style is not very marketable. So i think you're better off with the direction you already taken the peice in. But hey, you're more than welcome to do the washes to satisfy both yourself, and myself, and just about everyone else that keeps up with your thread. Dan and Tristan are right, the line work is so well done that the hard part is over.

as far as the new peice is concerned, if you wanted to make the character more manly, i'd go with the first one, but add more reds and browns as well as blues and violets into the skin. But the lighter, pale skin in the second one gives the character more adrogenous look which adds a new layer to the character that is worth exploring.

I think that the main problem you are running into with both versions of the piece is the lack of contrast. Piecce #1 should be on backround #2 and vice versa. a light, washy background would really make the detailed, generaly, darker valued figure realy stand out. and a dark background would make the pale figure really stand out and almost haunting (i.e. Sargent's Madamme X)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everyone

Dan: I think this is good advice. What is the point of putting so much work into the line drawing when I will just paint over it. Truethfully I really enjoy drawing, but i aslo really enjoy painting and want to get much better at it. I am trying to find a good balance between a painted and drawn look. I really do like Rackham's Illustrations. I used to looked at his work and Illustrators of the like ever since I was a young child, but I want to do something different, that has my own signature. Really, right now I just have to do what I like to do and experiment, because I know it's there it just needs to come out. Hahaha! you friggin Nazi! By the way I heard the Halloween party at the society was awesome and you where dressed as SUPER DAN. I went to another party, but I felt like I missed out not going to the society. Next big event I'm there. Thanks man for your advice.

Scott: Hey man! thanks for your nice compliments, and your advice. you are right, it will come to me if I just do what is natural. All those artist are awesome, those guys I grew up with looking at there work, but really I never knew there names. There work was in this old fairy tale book my mom had and I would look at it ALL the time. I especially love Edmund Dulac's work, Beautiful!
    And your not an ass, your right! sometimes I depend too much on other peoples advice to help me lead my own path, and with something so personal as style I need to listen to myself, so thanks for the slap in the face, lol!

Bad Brownie: oh man! hero huh! I'm proud to be your hero. Thanks for the advice. I think that is a very good idea on how to voice my ideas. thank you, hope to see you around again,

BMunchausen: thanks man! The arms I feel do need to be tweaked a bit. thanks for pointing that out, it helps,

Arkady: You are right on! thats is all, just right on, very good advice thanks you. Hows your head by the way? any hangovers? Ask Angel what happened to me when we left on Sun. If he already didn't tell you, I'm soo embarrased. haha I'm such a light weight now, oy!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    commenting on your current piece. i was thinking with that moon as a definitive light source, maybe you need more blue? or use that as a secondary light source.

Don't touch me!!!
    your not my priest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posted NEW at top of Page1.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    T, those finished paitnings are color-wonderful Show me more step by steps, though

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love all of them. The only issue I have is the drapery on the first painting of the elf. Perhaps you could define the cloth with more structure and fluidness. But man are those cool. Very inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (Okay, that's for the first piece, well done T.)

For the second, my ONLY suggest is that you can break the flat aspect of your elfe's dress. Maybe by adding shadows who suggest the pleats but still in a graphic way, as you made the dress pattern. Hope I'm clear, apologies for my bad english.
    Cheers, T.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys!
    new character! got to go and catch a movie. hope you like.
    she is a character from a book called the Golden Compass, her name is Lyra, and the Ferret it her Deamon(part of her soul). i am going to make a book Ill. of this sketch. any crit. are welcome, hahah. broken sentences mania!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posting again, I think the connection is weird or something. :?

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mono: thanx for the crit.

Loren: will do, thanx man. buddy-o-pal, slice ballz

ammoburger: thank you. and thank you for your crit,

Alday.J: man: you don't have bad english it is very good. thanks for that suggestion I will try it out. and thanx for the props

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice character sketch here, T. What she have in her hand ? Is it the famous Golden Compass ? If it's a search for the character, it's wonderfull (but I always said that to your stuff ! Ouch !). But if it's for an illo... heu, well, maybe it needs some background.
    Anyway, great stuff as always, T.
    Did you made some preliminary sketches for your character ? In that case, I'm very curious to look at it !
    Cheers, Poise !

Julien ALDAY

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The Lyra pic is really nice as a character/costume design, but as an illustration it's a little flat. She's just sort of standing there. I think you could do more with her body language to show the intensity of her reading the alethiometer. Of course, what I'd really like to see is her and Iorek!

On the second finished piece, I'm really not loving the flat pattern on the skirt or the brushed texture of the background. I think they're both too aggressively digital and draw attention away from the drawing.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alday.J: hey man! No I don't have prelim sketches of her, I just drew her on the spot. But yeah I am putting her in a snowey flat grounded scene with dogs and sleds in the background, and maybe her pack in the forground to add depth. I need to do some comp. sketches for the illustration. She was basically a character study, but I thought the pose was kinda cool and it reminded me of the time when she would go on her own and read the compass. Her own little quite moment. It seems I am always drawn to do quite moment with characters. but I don't know I might do a different gesture of her.

Elwell: hey thanks for stopping by again. This was intended to just be a character study, but I sorta ended up likeing it and wanting to make it a illustration. Like I told Alday.J I was going to put a flat snowey scene as the background with the auora in the sky, and dogs and sleds in the background. I can really invision what I want.There is no harm in takeing your advice and trying some different gestures, . I was thinking about doing a scene with her and Iorek also so I might just fool around with comps. and see what is best. thanks for the crits, and nice words .

Last edited by poise; November 5th, 2005 at 04:39 PM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Tiff.

I agree with Tristan all the way. You had such a great pencil sketch and you gone and ruined it with that pattern. Thank god that its on the Comp and easily fixable. Remember waht i said about the patern in the first piece? If you keep it too uniform without breaking it up with some shadows it will look too flat and too Photoshoppy. Plus, with this piece, since everything is such a light value, this dark uniform spot automatically draws attention.

as far as the recent sketch, its awesome but kinda plain to devote all that time to finish it. you're more than welcome to prove us all wrong and make a HOT illustration out of it, but i'm here to tell you that the odds are agaist you. So if you do end up proving me wron you will get even more respect from me then you already have (which is a lot at this moment - even after the incident last sunday )

as far as tomorrow, if it wasnt such a nice day and a lot of people wouldn't show up i would have come up to harrass Tristan, but alas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much character in your characters...Those drawing and painting skills keep anyone who's looking wanting more...Damn if these aren't the best looking concepts I've seen in a while...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1