Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: **ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

Thanks
    Tiffany- great seeing you again, and peeking inside your sketchbook. I feel I understand a little more about your ability and sensibilities.
    I said it before...I think you are a great draftsman (draftswoman?) - and Dan is right on the money...let your linework shine through on those paintings (same goes for you Amish!) - It's just so seductive...
    Arkady gave a great crit on the last one...alot of good points. I think the character is cool enough to really put some effort into. To add to what he said, when you push those arms back and push out the chest I would let his abdomen sink in a bit, causing the ribcage to stand out as well. just a thought
    Also...I think one of the reasons the first one is so successful is the placement of the figure on the page. She has this 'regal' pose and she's central to the viewer...giving her almost an iconic look. Even in drawings the design of the page and placement of shapes is really important. Just another thing to be aware of.
    quick question: are you looking for more "concept design" work or illustration? just curious
    You're awesome...can't wait to see more.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i agree with amish. although this is a technically more difficult design, you've lost some structural integrity. what made the first two sick was the mood you've protrayed in the character. In this latest piece, you've lost rhythm. its seems stiff.His ribcage is slightly tilted to his left that makes his pose a bit off balance.
    I'm digging the design sense and posture.
    great ellipses, form.
    Well done.

Thanks
    Hi Tiff. I basically agree with Amish and Loomer on the pose of the most recent work. I think if you pull the right arm back significantly it would line with the other better (I don't think the left is off much really). The neck also feels out of whack with the line of the back, perhaps Tilting the the head up and the neck (or whole body?) back a bit more will be more convincing. Oooh, and definitely more flies. Having them stream out out in an interesting shape could really help the composition. Just my opinions.

Really love the first two, esp the iron maiden. Very nice. Keep it up (insert whip-crack onomatopoeia)!
    -Balaskas

Thanks
    hey everyone!

L: thankx dude. your the shiznick!!

Kanji2000: hahah! your the bully of this thread,lol.

Arkady: whoo!! ho!! you really ripped me a new one, but you are right on a lot of things. I was unsatisfied with this one for some reason, and even with your crit. I feel like it just doesn't have the soul the other ones have. thanx dude for spending time to give me a good crit. I appreciate it for sure .

Serpian: Hey thanx! the band you are talking about is supposed to be wrapping around another band. I will see if I can make that more clear. (thats me thinking)

Scott: mm yeah dude you guys are giveing me a lot to think about. Draftsman, Draftswoman,...potatoes, patatoes. Doesn't matter to me .
    I'm looking for anything cool I can get my grubby little hands on. But really I am doing these chararcters so I can possibly do cards or covers for Wizards. Just trying to do more Fantasy stuff so I will get work. thanx for your nice words... your awesome as well

Mono: I always like your crits., I gotta say. ok... so the ribcage, I was staring at it for a bit, and yes his left rib is wonky and too low, thanks for pointing that out . And thanks for your nice words

I will have to practice my gestures. Truthfully that is what I'm the worst at. So I'm glad you guys are all on my asses, man Illustrators are soo awesome!! I feel a overwehlming love for you guys right now, hahah sorry, is that wierd?( maybe it's the caffeine talking , lol (awkward silence).............................
    Anyway...I will have to start painting these suckers soon. But really I'm glad you guys all stopped by here again, thanks for helpin a sista out, peace!

-T
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Tiffany,

I agree with the crits of the last one. The character concept is really interesting, but the drawing isn't selling it. I did a quick and dirty sketch to show how you could really push the action.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Slow down...Everyone just slow down a bit...Don't let our comments get to you...Your work is fantastic...Concepts are very fresh...You've just made some really cool stuff...Now stop, take a step back, and breathe...What everyone said was very good, and very helpful...Now, take the time to consider each one...The first two were great because not only were they conceptually great, they were also architechturally sound...And by that I mean they are anatomically correct, the placement on the page made them compositionally sound...

Now, the third one is a beautiful concept...Evryone agrees though, that it doesn't carry the same impact...Hmmm, I wonder...If you draw a line from fingertip to fingertip, and then another line from the top of his head to the bottom, you'll see there's almost no arch...His whole body is tilted, which gives the illusion of movement, but the stiff body reminds me of a tilted cross...

How about drawing those same lines on a separate sheet of paper...Now imagine what lines would be more interesting...The tilt isn't winning me over...how about making him vertical, and then arching his back so that he's looking straight up...I agree that the arms can bend back a little more, which will naturally force his chest out...

When drawing flies, it might be interesting to follow a corkscrew formation, like DNA, flowing like a ribbon around his body, starting from his open mouth of course...Before doing all this though, draw the basic lines that the path of the body, and flies, would follow...These action lines will already alert you to how the piece flows overall...Get my drift???

And no, I'm no bully...I just growl alot...gggrrrrr...And that was for making our mouths water so much by promising a character a day, and then leaving us wanting more...

More power to you...We all love your work...

Thanks
    so i tried to do a version of your character last night using my own suggestions and it's a lot harder then it sounds.

I changed up the pose a bit (quite a lot actually). Hope its ok to post it here. You haven't replied to my PM:

**ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL

I'll post the OC file later tonite so you can see me strugling with the pose.

Thanks
    hahah!! yeah! rock!! that looks cool. Sorry I actually just got your PM. I will Pm you back
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks

vamp 10-11-05

yet another one...

**ELVES**painting characters from last week!** NEW WORK! + TUTORIAL
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    SSG Gilded

Thanks
    holy hell that's hawt.
    are you using reference?

{edit} feet's a tad small.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,684 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Hey there! back on track!
    If her hair were even longer it would start to suggest wings.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Very vampira..I like the pose alot...and her outfit..
    Ok- I'm just gonna say it..she's kinda hot.

- Tristan has an interesting idea with the wings. I kinda like the black graphic shape the hair suggests. I might throw a thin hair line in here or there.
    I'm diggin this one ...solid drawing.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    whoooooaaaaaa....

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast