Sketchbook: max1975 finally drew that comic book he's been threatening for years - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ouh yeah man, your figures are hot!! should to those myself too, i'm such a lazy ass
    keep it up man, you are doing excelent!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys.

Just a have a moment here to drop this one off. I'm hoping to have it colored and finished by, oh, 6 PM tomorrow. Inking's kinda sloppy (not really my thing) so I may need to redo it in Photoshop.

Updates as the weekend progresses...

Last edited by max1975; February 4th, 2006 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished it, except for some minor touchups, and removal of certain logos if people threaten to sue me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Thanks dude. I'm looking for a rhythm in the legs that I think is making them come out a lot better...it's the big thick line here: http://elseworld.com/max/sketchbook/011406.jpg
    Yes, thats the main leg rhythm! I think that knowing proportions and anatomy is important, but building the figure strictly by proportions or meticulous anatomy can make the figure look rather stiff or lacking a certain grace. I think that once you have some knowledge of proportions and anatomy, building the figure on rhythms can be very rewarding. Its also more fun, at least for me. I don't think you need to know -everything- about proportions and anatomy before starting with rhythm, you can keep on studying those two things while you also study rhythm, and just try to join everything.
    That being said, I think some of the figures in 020106.jpg have some prop/anatomy flaws, but I also think that its really cool that you are doing movement studies. I guess its all about merging all this stuff together until you have a general understanding of the figure. Just gotta practice & study and experiment. I think you are totally on the right track and making heaps of progress.
    Love the last robot, as usual

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    'sup! I love your naked friday-stuff, as always! The latest batch looks hella good! The coreshadow is awesome on 'em!

Is that illustrator for the latest bot?

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on the figure drawings. Two that pop out are #5 and #10, you captured the balance and curvature really well in those. The robot looks good also.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡ BoneDaddy ‡‡‡‡

metal and flesh <> the Bus is very well done <> concept to finish!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all.

mentler: Thanks. I'd been doing sketches of that for a while, but it didn't all come together until just in the nick of time

bRØk3n_sPiRiT: I think a good rhythm actually helps with proportions a lot, especially when there's perspective or foreshortening involved. Or maybe it just makes things look right when they really aren't...but anyway, given that I also make mistakes any other way I try to draw, I see no reason to go back.

Inkfish: 5 (that's actually the length of the pose) is my favorite of those, and I think one of my best drawings. This was the first time we had this model, and I thought she had some really elegant poses.

dCepT: Actually I used Flash to do the lines on the Bus. To me, it's a lot faster than Illustrator (for bots anyway, it doesn't do as well on curvier forms).

Still working on the assumption that I'm going to be drawing a comic soon, I'm trying to get more personality into my faces. Going back and forth between more or less cartoony, and starting to do the same with figures. So things might be a bit of a mess for the next few days as I experiment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More experimenting...liking the watercolory effect my blending stump is giving me, but I won't be able to use that if I decide to go with ink, which I'm leaning towards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking forward to seeing your inked and comic works

The guy's face on the lower left corner on 020806.jpg looks nicely shaded, although I'd put just some more shadow under his eyebrows, between the eyebrows and the eyes. Also with a directional light, the nose casts a shadow. Don't hesistate to really exagerate features and forms to see what kind of stuff happens if you're doing something more cartoony.
    Also, just a suggestion, overlapping panels in comics can give pretty interesting effects, as opposed to having them one next to each other (which also gives interesting effects), and also varying the shapes of the panels. Use them depending on what you want to communicate, an action scene could have tilted panels and elements flying right out of them, whereas a more tranquile scene could have long, rectangular panels, and everything in them contained. Ok I'll shut up now.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Thanks for the suggestions. I usually do use non-rectangular panel shapes, but I haven't done a comic in so long I just needed to practice drawing straight lines

Naked Friday (dammit, why do I keep drawing these gigantic heads? I cropped it out, because otherwise I think it's a pretty good drawing) and some mucking around with comic ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, the girl in upmost rigt corner in 021006.jpg is top notch. Have you tried regular tissue paper instead of blendind stump i never looked back since i discovered that the effect is the same, and you don't have to sharpen it if you want to do lighter values

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inkfish: Thanks man. The reason I like the blending stump is it's got a hard point which is good for smudging finer spaces, otherwise I'd just use my finger. I don't know how I'd do that with tissue paper.

Some sketches from life (heheh):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn man you've been working hard. Great to see that your rendering has gotten "tighter" and it seems like you have improved on your knowledge on how light reacts (or something). I'vee been kinda busy lately and haven't had the energy to post anything so I'm sorry that I haven't come here for a while. I have to agree with inkfish: that girl is propably your best rendering so far in my opinion. See you soon again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been sick and busy with work the last few days, hence the lack of updates and visiting sketchbooks. Will hopefully get to that tonight.

Placeboast: I'm just glad you didn't fall off the face of the earth

A very special Naked Friday. We had our first young, thin, borderline gorgeous female model yesterday, and she also came up with some really interesting poses. Most of the short poses were so unusual that I had no idea how to go about drawing them, and didn't have time to figure it out :-/ but the longer ones made for some nice results. And she'll be there again next week, yay!

Still ran into some trouble...like her arm on one of them, it was bent oddly and I completely failed to understand it, which is why it looks pretty weird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡ BoneDaddy ‡‡‡‡

Work rocks <> keep working on the construction lines on the faces and remember the eyes are on a cylinder <> looking good <> keep on truckin'

Thanks for bump <> somehow the system seemed to backtrack this morning and throw me back on page 4 <> guess I will just have to do a couple of quickies and post.

Threw you some bones for feeding the monkey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

you have been doing alot, and the figures are excellent, great shading and values. I really love this one http://static.flickr.com/24/101306601_c0191fdc72_o.jpg, cant wait to see more

Qxzi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I have stars Best be deserving...

TFK: Thanks man. Here's a ton of imagination stuff for you

Mentler: Thank you! Eyes. Cylinder. Gotcha.

Qxzi: More of the same model this Friday, I can't wait either.

Okay. Buncha weekend stuff. First, I went back to this one and made some subtle shading chances, trying to make the breasts look less asymmetric. They were really bothering me:

Then some figures and aliens and junk. Note to self: Do not try to draw a flying saucer without some sort of a plan. Look up methods for drawing large elipses in perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

The life stuff is getting better and better (as others mentioned before). I really like where your shading is going. There are some anatomy issues, but i'm sure you've caught them already. The last picture you posted (101306601_c0191fdc72_o.jpg) is my favourite of the bunch. ow long were the poses?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inkfish: Thanks man. The pose you mentioned was about an hour, the others were between five and twenty minutes (I forgot to write down which was which), the more shaded ones being 15 or 20.

A quick digital elipse study to help me the next time I'm trying to draw a flying saucer...If anyone knows a less messy way to do this, please let me know. Hate using my ruler so much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, the hands and feet on the figures are improving, good to see perspective stuff too. Click on your profile, there are some new features installed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on the well deserved stars mate. Me so jealous of your naked days 'cause mine got canceled because of the low interest in those courses. Why do I have to live in this God forsaken town. The one you made a boob job to yesterday is my new favourite amongst your work. Something odd about the left breast. It seems to be a bit smaller than the right one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bR&#216;k3n_sPiRiT: Thanks for the heads up on the new features...I'll have to find some time and make use of them.

Placeboast: I spent almost a year trying to sign up to draw naked people, and having the classes cancelled due to lack of interest. I was astounded. How could I be the only guy in town who wanted to draw naked people? Turns out no one wants to draw naked people in the evening, but there are plenty of folks for the afternoon session. Keep looking And dammit! Those mismatched breasts were what I was trying to correct in my last post.

Some more work on this guy:

And UFO/Ellipse studies:

Last edited by max1975; February 21st, 2006 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyoo.
    Wooy,, havent seen ur sketchbook aroud,,. *slap slap*
    ur figure drwaings are lookin damn good. i play around with that color balance option in photoshop too. :p
    Love this page

Love ur progress fromt he begining of this thread. theres been much much progress. loving it. although work bit more on ur portraits . and small detials of the hands, fave, and feet.
    Looking good.
    Keep puming,
    AMi

¤Sketch FACTORY¤

THe Cookie Factory StuDio
    Ryn
    --
    Project SOle.ca
    ¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, congrats for your stars bro! Sorry for the delay, regarding to the post about the shading techs. Maybe try cross hatching and different pencil strokes, just as experimentation, I am not telling you to change your style.

Rest is great, as usual. Keep em coming, I need to update my SB too .

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Falling behind on other folks' sketchbooks...will make the rounds soon.

jtheanswer: for some reason my crosshatching always seems to turn into scribbling. I just don't get the technique; I understand how it's supposed to work, but I never like my results.

HEROIC: Thanks for stopping by! I'll keep working on those faces and hands and whatnot...

Just some babbling today...I guess I don't hate using a ruler so much...sometimes anyway...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max! Thanks for that ass load of comentary back in my thread! I really owe ya big time, I know it. I think I'm really slacking on my end of the sketchbook group bargain... I've thought about parting ways and givin' you guys the option of puttin' together another one with some people who won't slack off on ya. Mucho apologies, bro.

First off, awesome work! I love how much stuff you're doing. You really make this kid feel like a slacker. You crank thos rendered figures out on a consitent basis, that's for sure. And they're for the most part really accurate and well done!! I'm proud to have been able to witness all of your progress. You've really improved.

Here's some critz regarding your figures, one, don't rely on line so much. I, of all people, shouldn't be telling you this because I make this mistake all teh time and actually am starting to develop my style around it... but... lol try to define the shapes and areas more with the values rather than that thick black line. Also, you may very well love that blender and most people do but I'm a firm believer in pencil strokes. Lay some in there too to give it more density and such. And don't forget to lay the strokes across the surfaces while following the curves of the cross sections. If that makes sense. Shade into the form, as the form curces, strokes curve, etc. Also, a teacher was telling me that using straight lines and more angular strokes rather than curved ones often help make things look more realistic and in my experience it's true so mix it up sometimes too. Just a thought to chew on.

Regarding what you said about my attempt to simplify the human form, what I'm trying to do is really get myself back to the basics. I'm trying not to think so much about anatomy and line quality and stuff and more about the basic forms that make up the body (spheres, cylinders, etc.). I think it's on the second page of my sketchbook, Chris OCampo (I think that's his name) he leaves some comments regarding building the figure this way. You can get those basic forms down first and then you can get back in there and render it as you wish and bring the muscles and stuff in as well. I'm trying to simplify my stuff and then bring the complexity back up again. But the reason I'm doing it is to practice seeing my figures differently in a space so to speak. That way when I have to put them into a perspective and such I'll have the knowledge of prior practice to draw from. So I'm trying to take some steps into the direction of having the characters in environments and interact more. But I really want them to seem grounded to that environment. Not just in it, y'follow? Might be something to think about with your stuff as well. Didn't know if it'd apply for you but you can think about that as well.

I must say that I'm really happy that you're starting to mix it up. That Steelers image is really great! I love it! And just to make you proud, I did make myself a Steeler's fan for the Super Bowl. lol I was rootin' for Jerome. He did play with the Rams for a while tho he didn't do anything really while in STL. I still wanted them to win it for him. And... for you of course. But the rest of your work is cool too. Those creature things and the alien is really nice. I like how you're starting to experiement. I'd like to see you do more of that. The figures are great but this is CONCEPTART.ORG! Give us s'more.

Oh and one more thing... dunno how I'd really make a tutorial on my faces. I still need loads of help on 'em. I'd say practice, life drawing, and most of all my continual study of the skull and some of the major planes/muscles in teh face have helped. And it helps that I'm starting to allow myself to really distort my faces as well. I just try to think of them like I'm sculpting (again with that sculpting!) and that they're sort of squishy and I try to think of how they'd feel to the touch and that's how I draw 'em. Cross section and planes are great to think about when working on these. I'm glad you like them. That was quiet a compliment to be recieved and I really appreciate it. It's the one thing I never tire of drawing. I love creating faces.

Keep at it, bro. You gonna make it up to Montreal? Should be a wild time! Anyhow, lookin' forward to more progress and diversity. Hope you're well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Montreal would be so cool...I'll have to save my pennies, cheat on my taxes, and maybe take some candy from some babies and sell it to other babies at half price...

Hmm...haven't had much color here for a while...that's cuz it's been too cold in my studio to paint (not that my paintings fit on my scanner anyway) and all my computer time is spent working...

So here's an old, finished piece. Sort of indicative of my abstract "thing" that I'm hoping all these studies I've been doing will ultimately help with. This is pencil & paper, inverted and mirrored and colored in photoshop.

"Fortress, Part 1"

I'm hoping to go back to this sort of thing with real paint, more depth, more elegant forms, etc... as soon as it gets a little warmer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if anyone else get this, but when i look at your last abstract piece, it kinda "transforms" before my eyes, the edges seem to shimmer and the whole painting seems to "flow" to the center... really cool.
    (i haven't smoked anything in a really long time, but if i would've this might freak me out )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crap! Lost a star. Oh well.

Inkfish: Thanks man, that was pretty much exactly the effect I was going for

Ok, finished with the machine elf for now. And I liked the way his arm/gun/probing implement turned out, so I'm trying to make it into a city.

Tomorrow is Friday, and it will be SO naked...

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1