Sketchbook: max1975 finally drew that comic book he's been threatening for years - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: max1975 finally drew that comic book he's been threatening for years

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowwow,

excellent stuff here, you have really improved from the last time i posted.The figures i cant get over, they look so 3D, solid and very realistic!Those robots look great and plz do some more, but more in colour this time!

Keep it up man!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    max, really sorry I didn't check any sooner, I've been slacking.

the paint on melpaint is looking nice! I think it'd be cool to do more stuff like that.

Figures are looking good too. From the waist up the proportions look good, but the legs look awkward. Don't get too caught up with the muscles, think of the basic shapes and proportions, and then the muscles. Heads and faces are improving a lot, finish the chow on time!

Thank you for showing me the destroyer process, gives it a really solid look.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the process of coloring you showed on the bot.

I should have something new soon...

*edit* just posted in wingus's book LOL, funny how that works.

My sketchbook

My finished work

Get the full scoop on my personal Project 'Titanomachy' Here My Deviant Art page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TGping: Cool, looking forward to your next update...

bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Don't worry about making me wait, I know we have other things in our lives than this forum thanks for the comments, I'll keep 'em in mind.

Qxzi: Thanks for stopping by...I'm very eager to get back to some full-color bots but I'm running out of time for the chow, so it won't be for a few days at least.

This chow is keeping me occupied...it seems to be demanding my normal months-long character development process, when all I have is...oh...30 some hours now? I made what I hoped was a final sketch earlier today, but the weather kept me from my scanner, so I'm trying to do it all digitally...wouldn't be my first choice, I'm not all that comfortable with the wacom. Still haven't figured out what kinda clothes she needs, although maybe from now on everyone I draw will wear turtlenecks so I won't have to worry about that bloody head/neck/shoulders area that keeps looking like crap...

anyway...here's my very rough and sketchy WIP...c&c very welcome, especially if I get them in time to do something about them...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi !
    I'm not a huge fan of these kind of bots, not yours, but you know, all that transformers... It's just my taste. BUT I dig a lot your studies, some of them are very VERY good ! Like the december 10th set-impressive, man ! I'm gonna check your sketchbook more frequently.

About your CHOW entrie. It's a good start. Be carefull with her right hand. It's like she was cutting herself her own wings ! Remove that arm lower has a fighting stance, maybe. In that case, the empty corner will give more space to your pic. Maybe push a bit the dark tones if you want play with some graphic aspect. Like the right leg. Here my C+C. Hope it will help ya-but just forget it, if you explore another way. Hope my english is fine.

See ya Max1975 !

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated WIP...still quite sketchy...hopefully the next will be the final...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max, you're working hard as always, man. Keep at it. I think your drawings still just bug me because of how linear everything feels. In areas you get some form but on the whole you rely so much on the lines. I dunno. I think if you understood form and understructure (like anatomy) a bit more it would help you a great, great deal. Take the torso for example, the chest especially seems flat. And the abs are just lines in order to note that the abs are there. You could actually render the forms properly if you better understood how those forms worked and felt to the hand/eye. Or take the legs for example. They flatten out way too much. That highlight doesn't help, I mean, that's a hell of a highlight. I realize that the light source is beaming down but in order to make that form more believable you've really got to render it differently, give a few strong highlights and more half tones. I'm fairly certain, even with that light source, that you wouldn't get that strong of highlights on the figure all over like that. Remember when you look at the figure in real life, the only high lights you're going to issue are those areas that really appear white.... most of the figure can be lit well but isn't coming across as white... if you understand me. Another thing on that light source, think of all the shadows and stuff you're missing. That light should really be playing more of role relfecting off of that girls hair than you're treating it. And it should also have a hell of a cast shadow againt the figure as well. Use the lighting to make the forms come alive. Play with it and use it to your advantage. You're still making a lot of rookie mistakes and I'm gonna have to keep pushing you to do more studies. You've got to understand value scales properly, man. I'm gonna push for some still lifes. Really try and find those 6 value scales in there. You can do it. But your work has to start with studies or else these things aren't ever going to make sense or work correctly in your imagination drawing. Keep at it, bro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz: I'm a little up against it time-wise here, and still in the process of working things out on this pic...part of the process led to the lighting being a lot starker than I intended, but it is a WIP.

That said, I do very much appreciate your comments...it's easy to get lost in the details when you're working on something and lose sight of where you want it to go, and particular things you set out to do...one of which was the lighting you're talking about. So thank you...you've saved my picture from being completely washed out.

Whether I fully understand you is another matter, and either way I do still need practice. Anyway. Here's the WIP after reading your comments. Dunno if it's close to what you're looking for but it does look better I think.

And that's the last update for the evening...i'm outta gas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz, by 6 value scales were you refering to highlight, lit side, halftone, core, reflect, cast shadow?
    Max, like the pose. What I don't like is the wings, it looks like they're crumbling in on each other. Swipe the wings from "The Victory of Samothrace". I think you'll be able to modify an outfit from that scupture too, it's very revealing. I also liked the porcipine hair in the first incarnation, would have been cool to really emphasize that aspect, like Raditz from Dragon Ball Z.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the critiques, guys. You've been exceedingly helpful.

Armando: Can't swipe those wings, part of the idea is to invent new ones. I'm kind of happy with mine conceptually, though if I had time to practice drawing them a dozen times I'm sure they'd look better. I may redo them if I have time.

I'm very familiar with that statue, and good call on the clothes...in fact I think I've been inspired by that outfit before. Starting to rough some in...I might still like her better naked, but we'll see how it goes.

Still a WIP, though I'll be updating this file with the final.

EDIT: New wings. Shadows & such still to come.

Last edited by max1975; December 16th, 2005 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's getting better. Don't forget the cast shadows from the arms and such. Wrap that value. Show us the form, remember how it's a cylinder. Make the cast shadow from the sword "arch" against the leg. Keep these things in mind. Those wings are still a mess man. I have no idea what's going on in there. Hopefully they'll start defining themselves better in the next update. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You ve made great progress with all the advices you ve been given on your last post, I like that spirit! I agree with Zebz, maybe to avoid the plain feeling thingy you should break down the body into basic shapes and when lighting and shadowing, analyze the why and how of this process. I would also recommend you some head studies. Anyway, this is my opinion, hope it helps.

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh and Armando, yes... that is what I meant by 6 value scale.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the last chow image best, I think there is some really evident progress in the chow entry alone. Wings are really interesting with those hands.

About values, you may find it usefull to try and separate the different planes for the different values. Figure studies with planes for different values is a good way of studying it, I abhor establishing planes on anything but I think its a necessary evil : P
    Tonal studies of still lifes are also good to do.

After that, you can study tonal composition, and arrange the tones within a picture to follow a certain structure. For example, on the last chow image, the brighter values are on the fiugure. But there is a leg to the bottom right corner that has the same light value as the figure. Try to group values by areas instead of breaking them up all around the image. The figure could be the brightest, while getting progressively dark the further from the figure. It would also accent the figure more from those wings. Tonal composition is covered in "Creative Illustration" by Andrew Loomis, I need to get back to it as well
    A kind of rule of thumb for tonal composition is to arrange the image in 4 main tones (this doesn't go against the 6 value scale for the figure, you kind of have to make both of them work): areas of light (white to very light grey), light midtones (light greys), dark midtones (dark greys) and dark (very dark greys to black). Use one of the 4 for the background, and use the other 3 for figures. For example, a black background, with the figure using light, light midtones, and dark midtones. Creates a nice contrast, you can also merge some shadowy parts with the background by progressively blending the background tone with the shadow tones on the figure. The Creative Illustration chapter explains this more in depth and better than me

The only crit regarding the colors on the chow piece is that it looks too monochromatic... but I like the brown version better than the blue one, though its really just a personal prefference.

Cheers, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have really stepped up a notch. I like the life drawings and the CHOW is looking pretty badass too. i pretty much agree with the crits given to that, so i won't repeat them here. I'd like to see more definition on that right sword (the one that is overlapping the left foor) right now it has almost the same value as the foot, and it doesn't read that well. Maybe check the arch too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lookin' out on the battleangel... only thing is it could've used a bit more saturated colors... but then, that might be a matter of taste

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks much for the comments, everyone. Unfortunately I'm very pressed for time at the moment...and then I'll be gone for a week. Should have plenty of time to draw, but I doubt I'll be able to do any updates (might be able to leave comments for other folks though, we'll see).

I leave you with some crappy head studies. If you put together all the things I did right on each one, you might get one pretty decent looking head I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

Good update, i kinda like the heads. Do some more and then they will get much better.

Oh, and i see its your birthday(saw it at the bottom of the screen)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Hope you have a good one

Qxzi!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its your birthday? Happy birthday man!

The faces don't seem very real, the overall construction and placement of features looks good, but something's missing. Studying heads from life can help a lot (I fact I should be doing that : S )

Cheers

EDIT: Or photographs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Qxzi, bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Thanks guys! My birthday was pretty good, though perhaps a few hours more driving than I would have liked But at least my birthday dinner, a week later, involved some very tasty sushi.

Ouch. Holidays really damaged my drawing. Didn't have much of a place to work in while I was away, and had a heavy load of non-art work waiting for me when I got back. Picked up the pencil a few times and it was like I'd completely forgotten how to draw.

Still have a heavy workload, so I may not be as active here for a while. But I'll try to get to everyone's sketchbooks later tonight.

Anyway, here are a few of the less-embarassing things I've drawn over the past couple weeks:

This one seemed to be working okay except for the head/neck/shoulders. God I miss naked friday.

Some robots, a head, and rendering practice on an earlier battle angel sketch. I dunno what's up with Gaiking. I was trying to add features to my mental robot database, and not really focusing on balance or anything, which is maybe why he looks like he's either delivering a very nonchalant kick, or just tripping over something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. One thing that kinda bothers me here is the way you draw the hair. It seems flat and two dimensional. I guess like me you've had the tendancy of drawing too many bald people and not really practising drawing the hair. You should really take in consideration the placement of the hair in the sideburn region. Other than that I like where you are going with your drawings. See you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I wasn't the only other guy not updating. Here's some of stuff I noticed: One the problems with the heads is the cranial mass is too small in relation to the face, like TFK mentioned. The ratio should be about 2 to 1, the size relation of course varies with angle of view, Hogarth gives some rules of thumb in his heads book. Also what's lacking is the temporal line, which is useful in dividing the forehead from the side of the head. Also look at Loomis's heads book and study using a circle then ellipses to fix the angle and tilt of the head(the brow line is especially important). Also look at KChens figure drawing thread in the tutorials section. The problem with the neck on that one pic is that the sterno-mastoid isn't represented: the sternal notch would be emphasized, and the line for the neck would be an undulating curve. Placement of shoulders and pecs is dependent on the clavicle which isn't established; the pecs should insert under the deltoids; the wonkiness of the arm is caused by the missing brachio radialis; the bottom forearm line would be convex because of flexor carpi ulnaris. Studying the skeleton is the key.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, max! Good update.. there is some wonkiness in your headstudies, but armando pointed them out way better than I would've..hehe..

I'm totally diggin' on the top right figurestudy in this one!!

Keep 'em coming!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Placeboast: yeah, I guess it's time to stop being lazy with hair.

Fat Kid: I use a dull woodless HB (I think--I've been using it for about three years now after cleverly peeling off its plastic label in a moment of boredom) for all the rough stuff, and a .7 mm mechanical pencil for the finer things and darker things. I sometimes use a 2B for shading but not often.

Armando Many thanks for the indepth comments. I'll be studying them.

dCepT: Yeah, that figure looks great because I stopped drawing before I got to the tricky parts It also just came out really well for some reason...possibly because I didn't have anything in particular in mind when I started scribbling. I get some of my better drawings that way, but it's not very useful if I can't produce a particular pose on demand.

Okay. I've been promised a much-needed Naked Wednesday, so I'm trying to get back up to speed. Also working on rendering, and trying to draw noses like Zebz, which is not easy. Have to be very tiny. Not there yet.

Last edited by max1975; January 4th, 2006 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad. I enjoyed the first image as well as the figure study drawings. The transformers were cool cause they brought back warm and fuzzy memories of when I drew transformers - religiously LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woohoo, Naked Wednesday!

Unfortunately we started rather late and my model was sleepy. Which would have been okay, but then she was also cold. Maybe we'll do some more today. Anyway I had to invent her head in the second pic, which ordinarily I wouldn't have done, but she was looking a little creepy without it.

And then there are some heads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Man. You make me wish I could get ahold of some nude models.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah! Max, ol', boy! Hooray for naked Wednesday! lol The first one is my favorite! You really we're subtle when some of your marks and you're really rendering the form well in that one. The other ones seem kind of harsh in areas, like the bright white "stripes" on the legs and such. I like how soft and smooth the first one seems. Great work. Those faces are much better than some of your other offerings as well. You're learning, man! Just keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zebz The white stripe on the leg was a mistake...fatigue was setting in, and I was working without reference at that point. The other one, I dunno. I've had so many opportunities to draw beautiful backs with interesting lighting, and every time I end up disappointed with the result. I'm glad you like it though...I've been working on that rendering you keep nagging me about

Wingus: There are a few ways to get ahold of nude models. One is to date someone, and then persuade them to take off their clothes and sit still. Another is to take a class--and this is a little better for the drawing because the models tend to be more practiced, and the lighting better. Also more variety (unless you wanna go all out on the dating, like with three or four members of each sex, which I'd imagine can get kinda complicated ). Check to see if you have a local museum or other arts centers that might offer a class.

Naked Thursday, followed by some tiny sketches. Lighting was not good on the first one. Lighting was beautiful on the second, but I don't think I quite captured it. I've got all the areas mapped out though so I might return to it another time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Sweet, man. And I doubt it'd be available in my area. I don't think there's any museums nearby within a good driving area. Oy.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.